Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Coca-Cola 600 - Charlotte!

I know it is early gals but I just wanted to say that I am very excited about this weekend!! I will be leaving for Charlotte on Friday afternoon for my "girls race weekend"!! I am so looking forward to it!!

Last year was fun but we were missing a member of our group due to her back surgery! It just wasn't the same without her. One of the gals took her grandson (don't get me wrong - he is a good boy and well behaved - but he had homework and he is a kid after all) and that just wasn't the same! So I am really looking forward to the all girls weekend away!

After Kasey's win in the All Star Race I am feeling a bit more up beat and I hope he has a good race and does well!

I will miss chatting about the race but I will catch up with you all when I return on Monday evening! I will boo a bit when they introduce BM and rejoice for all of us a bit more than usual when he blows an engine and finishes LAST!!

Anyway I wanted to make sure I got my two cents worth in before I get too crazy packing and forget!!

I will miss you all but I will wave from the grandstands (I am right behind the flag stand on the front stretch) to you all so make sure you wave back! I promise not to embarrass you!

Have a great weekend!! See you all on Monday!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

HAVE
FUN!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Stampin' Fool

Wow, it's Monday evening and the new race thread has started. Kim, you must still be on cloud 9!!

I am so happy that you are attending your 2nd race. So jealous as well.

Who wants to come to Texas and go to the races with me??? It could even be a cute single guy if you all know any!!!

Am I the most "western" girl here? And I don't mean country western I mean western geographically!

Looking forward to seeing Jeffie Pooh get his FIRST win of the season!!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Default Cloud 9

I think I am still on cloud 9! "Hey you get off a my cloud!" I don't know who sang that - I am really bad at that stuff but maybe you will know that one! Ha! Probably toooo old for you!!

If I knew a handsome young guy why would I want to share??

We have a MO gals but I think you are still a bit further west than her! Not good at geography! Ha!

My girlfriends will be happy if Jeffie Pooh gets his first win but the last time we were all together Kasey won! So I guess we will have to see who brings the best "hot rod" (as Rusty Wallace use to say!)!!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Crimping Master

Hi, Kim,
Have a GREAT time in Charlotte. That was my first big race (in 1998, then we went again in 1999). We were so lucky; we had garage passes (Junie Donlavey - who's been involved in NASCAR since the beginning) is a good friend of ours. We also had skyboxes passes. It was a blast. But - now like watching races on TV - can see better, replays, etc., etc. But I miss the sounds and the smells of being at the big tracks. just have to enjoy our little short track!

It isn't stamping-related, but please stop by my blog anyway! http://thesedaysofmine.com/
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=kimmiller;9875232]I think I am still on cloud 9! "Hey you get off a my cloud!" I don't know who sang that - I am really bad at that stuff but maybe you will know that one! Ha! Probably toooo old for you!!

I believe it's the Rolling Stones that sang it. Does that show my age too much?
Kim- Have a great weekend at the race and I will be looking for you! Make sure you have a sign that tells who you are- something like Bratty McButtface Crash!; or Hey all my SCS NASCAR GALS! or something of the sort
Looking forward to actually being able to watch the race- only get to watch one more after (until Sept.8- or around there) because of no cable.
Later-
Mary
#31 biggest fan, GO Cornhuskers!!, GO Broncos!!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiller View Post
I think I am still on cloud 9! "Hey you get off a my cloud!" I don't know who sang that - I am really bad at that stuff but maybe you will know that one! Ha! Probably toooo old for you!!

If I knew a handsome young guy why would I want to share??

We have a MO gals but I think you are still a bit further west than her! Not good at geography! Ha!

My girlfriends will be happy if Jeffie Pooh gets his first win but the last time we were all together Kasey won! So I guess we will have to see who brings the best "hot rod" (as Rusty Wallace use to say!)!!

The Rolling Stones, baby!

Kim, have a great time this weekend! DH and I are going to Vermont from Friday to Sunday....I'm not sure if we'll be home in time for the entire race (it's on Sunday, yes?) but we'll see. I'm just excited about going away for the weekend!

I'll be checking in with all my "NASCAR gals" throughout the week...can't stay away from all my new friends!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

It was the Stones!! Am I dating myself? Too bad--it's still a great song!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Nicole, DH and I want to come to Texas; we want to see Jeffie win there, but the price of fuel -- egads! It's a long way from Mass. on diesel. I'm trying to talk him into Dover, as it's only a 7-hr. drive and the partying is legendary in Lot 10, but . . . someday!!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonstoon View Post
Hi, Kim,
Have a GREAT time in Charlotte. That was my first big race (in 1998, then we went again in 1999). We were so lucky; we had garage passes (Junie Donlavey - who's been involved in NASCAR since the beginning) is a good friend of ours. We also had skyboxes passes. It was a blast. But - now like watching races on TV - can see better, replays, etc., etc. But I miss the sounds and the smells of being at the big tracks. just have to enjoy our little short track!
Now that sounds like FUN!!! I just love to be at the track! I would love the hometown short track too if there was one around here!!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 AM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

The Rolling Stones - see I would never have remembered that - because I am really bad at the names of groups, singers and what songs go with whom! It drives my DH crazy - I always say "oh I would love to have the cd with such and such song on it", he says who sings it (he doesn't listen to country music) and I say "I don't know" then he is annoyed and wonders how he could possibly get the CD if I don't know who sang the song! Ha!!

Jen, Have fun in Vermont!! Yes cup race is Sunday - doesn't start until ~5:30 pm. So maybe you can catch some of it!

Mary, We will keep you up on the races after it goes to cable. Who has those races? I don't remember. We have the bottom of the barrel cable just so I have racing! It still isn't cheap but we wouldn't be able to watch TV at all without cable - too far from a local station.

Well gals - I am home today - hope to get a few surprises finished and in the mail tomorrow! I have some other projects to get done too! Have a great day! I just can't stay away from you ladies!! Love ya!!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Hi everyone!

I knew "Get Off of My Cloud" was the Rolling Stones! The song is a few years older than I am, but I like the Stones' stuff from the 60s and 70s.

Kim - I bet you will have a terrific time this weekend! I'd love to go to a race sometime, just for the experience, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Like Mary suggested, make sure you have a sign or something to help us find you. LOL, maybe you can do an outtake of the No Smoking signs with the cigarette with the slash - get a picture of Bratty McButtface and have the slash going right through his face. LOL

Jen - Vermont sounds nice! I hope you enjoy your trip.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Now that sounds like FUN!!! I just love to be at the track! I would love the hometown short track too if there was one around here!!

We have Dixie Speedway not far away. It is a pretty well known track I think for Saturday night races.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Default Sign!

If I made a sign like Pat suggested it would be so funny! However I don't want to carry it all the way to the track! But it would be funny and then if you actually saw me holding it up - now that would really give us something to talk about! Just the thought is really funny!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
Crimping Master

Default short tracks

Quote:
Kim, you have Old Dominion Speedway about 40 miles away in Manassas! That's a pretty long drive, but believe me, DH and I have travelled further than that for a short track race - every week! We're addicted! Our track now is about 25 miles away, so that's not too bad.

It isn't stamping-related, but please stop by my blog anyway! http://thesedaysofmine.com/
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Kim, you have Old Dominion Speedway about 40 miles away in Manassas! That's a pretty long drive, but believe me, DH and I have travelled further than that for a short track race - every week! We're addicted! Our track now is about 25 miles away, so that's not too bad.
It's not so much the distance - it's the traffic to travel to that section of this area! Anything north is just terrible! DH and I don't do traffic - we always head south!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
Crimping Master

Default traffic

Quote:
It's not so much the distance - it's the traffic to travel to that section of this area! Anything north is just terrible! DH and I don't do traffic - we always head south!
I can understand that. I don't like to drive up there either! I'm accustomed to our little country roads.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #18
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I can understand that. I don't like to drive up there either! I'm accustomed to our little country roads.
Country roads = YES!
Northern VA = NO!!

Hate it up there and that is where I grew up!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
Band Mom

Quote:
If I made a sign like Pat suggested it would be so funny! However I don't want to carry it all the way to the track! But it would be funny and then if you actually saw me holding it up - now that would really give us something to talk about! Just the thought is really funny!!
Were you talking about me? Nobody ever calls me Pat. If you don't want to call me by my full first name you can call me PH. Some of my real-life friends even call me that!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Band Mom

I hate driving in the DC area, too. My sister lives up there and the traffic is always a bear when we visit her. I think the worst was the time on I-66 when two guys ahead of me on motorcycles popped simultaneous wheelies.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
Stampin' Fool

Okay, I have a few comments...........

First, who are the Stones???? Hahahahaha

Second, if Kim wants to get on camera, she might have to go topless or do something big to get the cameras attention. They really don't show the fans during the race coverage.

Thirdly - Kim, sounds like you need a new stero in your car. Maybe SIRRUS or one that shows who is playing. That way, you can get all your music! I buy CD's like crazy! Love my music!

Fourth, I so laugh at thinking 40 miles is far. Unfortunately, living in Houston, 40 miles is just around the corner. A whole new perspective living here! Does it shock you all that often we go to Dallas for the day? 250+ miles one way!

Okay, I think those are all my comments. At least for now!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Old 05-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Were you talking about me? Nobody ever calls me Pat. If you don't want to call me by my full first name you can call me PH. Some of my real-life friends even call me that!
Sorry!! I didn't even think about the fact that you sent me Patricia! I will use PH - since that is part of your SCS name! Please forgive!!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinchampin View Post
Okay, I have a few comments...........

First, who are the Stones???? Hahahahaha

Second, if Kim wants to get on camera, she might have to go topless or do something big to get the cameras attention. They really don't show the fans during the race coverage.

Thirdly - Kim, sounds like you need a new stero in your car. Maybe SIRRUS or one that shows who is playing. That way, you can get all your music! I buy CD's like crazy! Love my music!

Fourth, I so laugh at thinking 40 miles is far. Unfortunately, living in Houston, 40 miles is just around the corner. A whole new perspective living here! Does it shock you all that often we go to Dallas for the day? 250+ miles one way!

Okay, I think those are all my comments. At least for now!!
HA! HA! No one would show that on national TV!! Only one man would want to see that and he certainly wouldn't appreciate me sharing it with the world! Show my rearend - THAT WOULD BE BIG!

The radio station use to use that but it stopped! Ugh! And yes I would be shocked to know that you drive that far for the day!! I hate driving unless it is to the beach or the races! Otherwise I am staying home!

That's all the comments????

Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #24
Crimping Master

Quote:

My niece lives in Dickinson - she used to live in Texas City. We flew into Houston Hobby a few years ago to visit with her for a few days and then drove to Dallas for the race. It was beautiful country. Yes, 40 miles is just a hop, skip and a jump to you!!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #25
Die Cut Diva

Hi, my race-lovin', B.M. hatin', crazy commentin' "sistahs!" How is everybody today? I had a long day...not home til 7:30. I'm so looking forward to a four day weekend! I saw that the race doesn't start until 5 on Sunday, so I'm pretty sure DH and I will be home in plenty of time!

Went to my local Mike's today after work...they had Jeffie Pooh, Jimmie Boy and Tony Baloney 12x12 paper...on clearance! Of course, I skipped the Baloney but bought some of the "Hendrick Hotties" paper because I do believe there are a couple members of our awesome birthday club who are sweet on those particular drivers...hmmm, who could they be??

I really must get to bed at a decent hour tonight...this staying up til after midnight every night is kickin' my butt! I'll check in with all you awesome chicks tomorrow night!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
Pearl-ExPert

All that great paper has been gone in this town for months. I heard that it was all discontinued and so now we will have to wait for the higher ups to negotiate making some more. I think someone told me that you can get some new 88 paper at his sister's store in NC. I will be in NC but I won't get to do anything like that - bummer! I would love to pick up some new paper!

I am off to bed myself!! Worked on something - secret today! Hope to complete the project tomorrow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP0806 View Post
Hi, my race-lovin', B.M. hatin', crazy commentin' "sistahs!" How is everybody today? I had a long day...not home til 7:30. I'm so looking forward to a four day weekend! I saw that the race doesn't start until 5 on Sunday, so I'm pretty sure DH and I will be home in plenty of time!

Went to my local Mike's today after work...they had Jeffie Pooh, Jimmie Boy and Tony Baloney 12x12 paper...on clearance! Of course, I skipped the Baloney but bought some of the "Hendrick Hotties" paper because I do believe there are a couple members of our awesome birthday club who are sweet on those particular drivers...hmmm, who could they be??

I really must get to bed at a decent hour tonight...this staying up til after midnight every night is kickin' my butt! I'll check in with all you awesome chicks tomorrow night!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Stampin' Fool

Wow, you old ladies turn in early! Of course almost everyone is eastern time but me!! I'm younger and get to stay up later!!! So funny I know!

My Michael's stopped carrying the race papers awhile back as well. All I found was Jeffie Pooh so I got several of those when they went on clearance. You will love it when you get your tags!!

I totally forgot that this was a holiday weekend. I don't work on Monday's anyway so I haven't paid attention. All I know is I have 4 more work days left and then I am outta there! I very much look forward to "unemployment" for the summer!!!

Well good night ladies! I am off to watch a movie.
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
Mad Swapper

Hey! I will be there too! And speaking of being on camera, I was on the jumbotron at Charlotte, years ago! I was dancing! Sober as a judge, it was a rain delay, and that Pee Wee Herman song came on, and what else could I do but dance? Did not know I was on camera! My 5 minutes of fame!!

Look for my dance when Junior wins!!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #29
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie3 View Post
Hey! I will be there too! And speaking of being on camera, I was on the jumbotron at Charlotte, years ago! I was dancing! Sober as a judge, it was a rain delay, and that Pee Wee Herman song came on, and what else could I do but dance? Did not know I was on camera! My 5 minutes of fame!!

Look for my dance when Junior wins!!

All I have to say is shake what your mama gave you, sister...and shake it a few extra times to celebrate for me too! When he wins at Loudon I'll be doing a dance too...DH will be completely embarrassed but when will I ever see any of those other people again?? NEVER! So you better believe I'll be going nuts!

OK, I'm really going to bed now...no, really...seriously, I really am...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Wow, you old ladies turn in early! Of course almost everyone is eastern time but me!! I'm younger and get to stay up later!!! So funny I know!

I very much look forward to "unemployment" for the summer!!!

Well good night ladies! I am off to watch a movie.
I'm actually looking forward to "unemployment" for the summer also!! First time in over 24 years that I actually don't have to work! Should have found this job years ago!lol
Of course the next 2 days are going to be rough at work. The center I work at is going to be at super tense mode as we are going thru NAEYC accreditation- can't wait til that's over! Pre K is out May 30- can't wait for that as we're all getting tired of each other because we're too used to each other. Time for another class!
Enough about me! Let's get ready to go racing! Very much looking forward to that as it's my second to last weekend before Sept.

Oh- by the way- somebody here has something being mailed out to her tomorrow (don't have any idea who that is tho! )

Later ladies! Mary
#31 biggest fan, GO Cornhuskers!!, GO Broncos!!

Last edited by marymn; 05-20-2008 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 05-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #31
Mad Swapper

Jen P, lets hope we dance so much this year, people think we are on Dancing With the Stars!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #32
Insane Embellisher

Dianna, you wouldn't by any chance have gone to see the Prelude to the Dream at Eldora in Ohio would you? We drove 16 hours to see it last June, but have decided not to go this year in favor of Charlotte in the fall. I don't think I ever had so much fun, and I ate dirt all night (we were in row 5 at the S/F line. I was sitting next the guy who built Ryan Newman's late model engine, and laughing while he tried to eat a hamburger. At midnight I was in the shower--but I wasn't complaining. Recommend it highly.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #33
Insane Embellisher

Kim, and all you NASCAR girls, the site is scrapshacknc.com and if you haven't been online with them you should see it! And yes, they said the new #88 paper is coming soon.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #34
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackscrapper View Post
Kim, and all you NASCAR girls, the site is scrapshacknc.com and if you haven't been online with them you should see it! And yes, they said the new #88 paper is coming soon.
That is Dale's sister's store - someone told me she is the only one that has it right now!! I have been to the online store a couple times but not recently!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #35
Crimping Master

Default Eldora

Quote:
Dianna, you wouldn't by any chance have gone to see the Prelude to the Dream at Eldora in Ohio would you? We drove 16 hours to see it last June, but have decided not to go this year in favor of Charlotte in the fall. I don't think I ever had so much fun, and I ate dirt all night (we were in row 5 at the S/F line. I was sitting next the guy who built Ryan Newman's late model engine, and laughing while he tried to eat a hamburger. At midnight I was in the shower--but I wasn't complaining. Recommend it highly.
No, I've never been to Eldoro- I think we may have ridden by that track on our way back from a boat race in Decatur, IL. (This racing takes us all over the country!) We have a dirt track a little over an hour from us that we go to occasionally. I love the racing and don't mind getting dirty, but I wear contacts. I feel stupid wearing goggles, but am so afraid of getting dirt in my eyes! It's good racing though.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #36
Insane Embellisher

Yes, Kim, that the store that I make a trip to every time I come through that way for a race--I keep hoping to run into her or Jr.!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #37
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Yes, Kim, that the store that I make a trip to every time I come through that way for a race--I keep hoping to run into her or Jr.!
Wouldn't that be cool!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #38
Die Cut Diva

Jen P, lets hope we dance so much this year, people think we are on Dancing With the Stars!

Amen Sister!! Kristi Yamaguchi won't have nothin' on us!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #39
Pearl-ExPert

Default Honest Answers

I have a question and I want your honest opinions! The question/grip of the last week is that Kasey didn't deserve to be in the All Star Race or win and that the fan vote shouldn't happen.

I am going to give my opinion but I would love to know what you think about it! No hard feelings - honest! Just curious and I respect your opinions! Since we all are such good friends!!

First let me say that I have wondered in the past about the fan vote but never really gave it a lot of thoughts because usually the person getting voted in wasn't a threat - which I honestly didn't think Kasey was last Saturday night either!! And I even stated that before the race started. It would make logical sense that if you couldn't race into the race your car wouldn't be good enough to win the race!

I did spend many days voting for Kasey to get into the race although I wasn't sure it would work and I would have rathered he raced into the race but it was worth a try! At least he wouldn't be bumming for not even making the race - along with me!

When he was voted in he started last and he raced his way towards the front - I never thought he would be able to contend for the win but he had a least moved up into the top ten which is respectable. Then they all had to pit - each deciding on their own pit plans - Kasey did a splash of gas and came out second. Hamlin was in first - no one thought they could stay up front because those that got tires would be faster. Denny lost his engine due to JGR's engine decide - their choice no sympathy here! I didn't think Kasey could hold off Biffle for the win but he did. So he got voted in (which I believe Jr, Jeff, Jimmie and many other would too if they weren't in the race and needed it to race) and he came from the back to win. The fans didn't vote and then he started first and held off the pack behind him. He started last and raced his way to the front thus giving him a legitimate win in my humble and wise decision! It is part of the rules for the race - it isn't like they just decided to let me do it on a whim. Others have been voted into the race in the past.

So gals what do you think! I know you will agree with me because after all you are all very smart ladies!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #40
cms
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile IMHO

Ok, Ms Kimmie-Kahne, anyone who knows me will tell you that if you ask for my opinion, I will give it to you! Of course, sometimes I give my opinion without being asked, but that's a whole other thread!
I think that, personalities & driving styles aside, all of the Cup drivers are amazing. Anyone that can drive any kind of vehicle at those speeds and with any semblance of control has to get credit for being an awesome athlete. Obviously some are better than others, and we obviously have our own preferances.
I think anyone who complains about Kasey being voted in is using the same convoluted (IMHO) logic that was used last fall to say that Clint Bowyer didn't belong in the Chase. The rules are the rules and if a driver meets the qualifications, they're in. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned. I may not totally like or agree with the rules, but, again, that's a different discussion. I think Kasey is a talented driver who needs a better team (again, JMHO). Even though Jimmie finished 4th (not totally terrible!), he, too, drove all the way from the back, which is not the easiest thing these days, since all of the drivers seem to have issues with being able to pass in the COT. SO, since Kasey did start in the back and did get track position to allow him to win, I really don't see what the complaints are all about. In the short time I've followed NASCAR, I've learned that pit strategy is as important as the actual driving. So, since he & his crew chief made the right call to put them in an optimum position, they were able to win. What's not fair about that?? Bottom line, Kasey drove from the back (without wrecking anyone, I may add!), obviously had a good set up, used good pit strategy & won. What's to question about that????
Disclaimer: The above opinions are mine alone and are not influenced in any way by any friendships that may have been formed prior to this discussion.
Jimmie Johnson #48 fan! KS Jayhawk alumni!