Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree334Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry Kelly, I didn't reply to your question on another thread asking if S2S was carrying on, I've just spotted it so.
I've been busy playing as my envie maker arrived, of course I jumped in there without reading the instructions properly, as usual, couldn't understand why they all came out square, after three tries I followed the instructions and it worked, I thought I could make some with plain outsides and posh inners to use up some papers I've had for ages that I'm not too keen on. Of course that would earn me more points!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
grammatroll, ScrappinCEO and yellowrose46 like this post.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #42
Stazon Splitcoast

Great you can join us again Jan.
Jeanne Ann, I'm looking forward to seeing your card. I have several more under construction using paper from the same 2006 HOTP paper pack.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
Sorry Kelly, I didn't reply to your question on another thread asking if S2S was carrying on, I've just spotted it so.
I've been busy playing as my envie maker arrived, of course I jumped in there without reading the instructions properly, as usual, couldn't understand why they all came out square, after three tries I followed the instructions and it worked, I thought I could make some with plain outsides and posh inners to use up some papers I've had for ages that I'm not too keen on. Of course that would earn me more points!!
That would sure get you extra points! You are like me .......'if all else fails, read the instructions', but I always try everything else first.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Since we're all about NOT spending money, I wanted to let you guys know I posted my first Friday Freebie of 2014 on my blog yesterday. You have 3 chances to win this awesome Valentine. I hope you'll stop by and check it out. Blog link in my siggy.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #45
Matboard Maniac

I haven't joined in the discussion yet because since the beginning of the year I've only had two days when I could actually get into my craft room and I was ill both those days That was after we'd put the decorations away on Twelfth Night...two days later my DD came to stay because she was ill with laryngitis and a beastly cold (she lives alone so needed some TLC). She's still here. My craft room is again unusable due to all the stuff from the spare (guest) room which has to be imported when anyone comes to stay I'm a terrible mother - all I can think is , when is she going home?!

I wonder if people would be willing to say what they 'pay' themselves for various things , relative to what certain craft items cost? In the UK a basic set of Nesties, for example, costs between £15 to £22 so taking £18 as an average price and paying myself £1 50 for making a birthday card I would have to make 12 cards to pay for 1 set of Nesties. How does that work out for someone in the US? I think this sort of balance (or inbalance) was the reason for my falling off the wagon last year and abandoning hope: costs are high here and I should have paid myself more. I go to a lot of craft shows and it's easy to spend around £80 pounds each time....that's an awful lot of birthdays!

Last edited by FionaB; 01-12-2014 at 11:58 AM..
stiz2003 likes this post.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #46
Pearl-ExPert

Fiona, I buy my craft items mainly from England and found the same, so this year I have decided to pay myself €2 per card or three if its very special as to buy cards over here would cost at least €5 for a plain one, the thing is if you buy a craft item for five pounds in England it would cost five dollars in the U.S.A I know as our son lives over there, I felt I was under selling myself when I considered how much time I take to make a card.
FionaB likes this post.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #47
Matboard Maniac

That's interesting, Jan - I know we used to say that when comparing prices it was Pounds for Dollars but I didn't know if that is still true. I do feel that prices in England are cheaper than before but maybe that's because we're used to everything being expensive?! I don't buy much from the US now because postage costs are so high, also with the expansion of the EU, British Customs are far more rigorous in applying duty charges to incoming parcels from non-EU countries...and with the addition of VAT plus the Post Office fee to collect the charges it just isn't worth it

We have friends who live in Andalucia so I know how difficult it is to buy cards - and indeed craft materials generally - in Spain. Where do you live?

Last edited by FionaB; 01-12-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

We live in Mazarron, Murcia, I buy from Joanna sheen, craft barn and cuddly Buddly as they will send out here with free postage as long as you spent £75, Joanna sheen you only have to spend about ten pounds.
Its strange but I've found that an item is the same price pound to dollar so it is much cheaper over there, I make sure I have plenty of holiday money when we visit! And plenty of luggage space, but as you say the tax is horrendous,we had to pay €29 for a birthday gift they sent over. We don't have any craft shops around here, the only one I know of is one and a half hours drive and very expensive, we called in once as we were in the area, it was the lounge area of a very small apartment.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #49
Matboard Maniac

Ok, finally got a card posted in my gallery. It isn't the first card I made, I sent if off to a sick Aunt and forgot to take a picture so I just had to make another one out of the same paper, and I like it better!

Sunburst Thinking of You by scrappinbinkle - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

2014 S2S Challenge $109 Earned to Date
Card Goal:105/100 Page Goal:28/12
Challenges Completed: 36

Follow me on Pinterest

Last edited by scrappinbinkle; 01-12-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #50
Stazon Splitcoast

Chiming in here, regarding the relative cost of crafting supplies. I am in Canada in an area that has lots of Dollar stores, Michaels, and scrapbooking stores. Michaels is expensive, but they have sales often and most of the time have a 40% off coupon for one item. Scrapbooking stores are also expensive. For the example you gave, a spellbinders set is usually around $25 -$29. However, I also live about 1 and a half hours from the U.S. border and there is a Hobby Lobby in Buffalo. And I visit my son about 3 times a year in Austin where there are 2 Hobby Lobby stores within 15 minutes from his house.
When you look at custom cards in the stores, I say that an average price would be $4.95 - $6.95. I pay myself $1.00 for a card made and an extra $ 0.50 when I send or give it. I participate in challenges here on SCS quite often and give myself an extra dollar for each challenge I enter. I also pay myself for exercise........$1.00 for a half hour walk. Last year I paid extra for every minute more than 30, but this year it will just be a flat $1.00 for a walk, no matter how long, unless of course, I go for a 4 hour hike or so. Some people also pay themselves for chores they hate to do, like cleaning or organizing their craft room. Each person can make up her own rules. That is the beauty of this forum.
As far as the exchange on the money, I think it costs us about $1.50 or more for a Euro.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry you've had the sickies there Fiona.An no, not a bad mommy at all. Been there so if that makes you a bad mom, then you are not alone

I hadn't thought of determining what I'd have to make to 'pay' for a toy. Hmmm Just bought a vagabond. Wonder how much I'll have to make to pay for that! LOL
Old 01-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

I hope to post my list next week. Haven't gotten to it yet. Spent the first full week trying to get business on an even track and this weekend cleaning my studio. Making progress.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #53
Stazon Splitcoast

Default S2S14B ...Off the Table

Posting a little early because I actually made a sample card already.
Our challenge this week will be to finish a card that you have already started and is on your crafting table. The organizing part will be to work on cleaning off our work tables. Before and after photos would be proof. I am posting my before photo and hope to have an after photo by the end of the week. Looking at the picture, can you actually believe I can even make a card on that table.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0202.jpg  
grammatroll and smadson like this post.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #54
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is my sample card.
Scrappy Stars by yellowrose46 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

You should join in "what's on your work desk Wednesday" Ina, my desk always looks too tidy even when I'm working on a card compared to some on there!
I will post a photo later.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You should join in "what's on your work desk Wednesday" Ina, my desk always looks too tidy even when I'm working on a card compared to some on there!
I think you should, too, Ina. Jan, Sharon or I can give you the details. Or you can click on the icon on the sidebar of any of our blogs.

Great peering at desks to see what other artists are working on and with. We have participants from all over the world!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

nice collection of goodies on your desk, Ina. Where do you work? LOL
I can't say anything, my desk is a bit of a mess right now. Mostly because I've rearranged to make room for the new ink tray I designed... meaning I have to find a new home for my marker glasses.

Here's a link to my ink tray.
KellySCreativeDreams: MIXED MEDIA MONDAY - Ink Tray
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

I took a picture of my 'before' thanks to the photo encouragment from Sharon last week. I need to get it resized. Will post that when I can post the after at the same time.
smadson likes this post.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

Kelly, I've never seen you on WOYWW, I've seen Sharon but never you, will look out for you this week if you make it, well being retired I don't know what day it is half the time so if I remember Ill be there!
smadson likes this post.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #60
Stazon Splitcoast

Great challenge, Ina! ( i am typing this again, as in the middle, I hit wrong key and everything disappeared!) I took the photo of my craft area already. It has been a miss since Saturday night when I made a card for Featured Stamper. That was a birthday for a friend at church Sunday. Now I need to make several thank yous for Christmas gifts.

Kelly, I don't know what "photo encouragement" you are talking about. I guess I am scattered. Just may get back to normal this week.
Dec 16th, we moved Mom to a Home Plus, really nice 8 person home and brand new. She is happy, and I am getting sleep. I just couldn't take care of her on my own. It just got to be a 24 hour x7 job. Had family here for a week. And then had to clean, sort and price for Jan 3rd and 4th, for an estate sale. Friday, we got the apartment cleaned and turned over keys. Then all last week, also dealt with Soc Sec and IRS for Mom. She was victim of identity theft! And it effected her Soc. Sec. So have been so busy!!! But now am beginning to see light of day!
So hope to be here more!
Proud Fan Club Member
Scrapbook Goal 2014 61/60 See them Here
S2S 2014: -$19.25
Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I had a look at the WOYWW on a couple of blogs. I see what it's about, but it looks like you need to have a blog to join and I don't.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose46 View Post
I had a look at the WOYWW on a couple of blogs. I see what it's about, but it looks like you need to have a blog to join and I don't.
And why not? LOL Blogger is super easy/ user friendly. I know. I'm tech challenged and I run five. Yes... I said five LOL
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadson View Post
Great challenge, Ina! ( i am typing this again, as in the middle, I hit wrong key and everything disappeared!) I took the photo of my craft area already. It has been a miss since Saturday night when I made a card for Featured Stamper. That was a birthday for a friend at church Sunday. Now I need to make several thank yous for Christmas gifts.

Kelly, I don't know what "photo encouragement" you are talking about. I guess I am scattered. Just may get back to normal this week.
Dec 16th, we moved Mom to a Home Plus, really nice 8 person home and brand new. She is happy, and I am getting sleep. I just couldn't take care of her on my own. It just got to be a 24 hour x7 job. Had family here for a week. And then had to clean, sort and price for Jan 3rd and 4th, for an estate sale. Friday, we got the apartment cleaned and turned over keys. Then all last week, also dealt with Soc Sec and IRS for Mom. She was victim of identity theft! And it effected her Soc. Sec. So have been so busy!!! But now am beginning to see light of day!
So hope to be here more!

I am so happy to hear you are getting a breather, Sharon. And that mom has a place she is happy with. That helps you tremendously. I know you were stressing over the SS and IRS thing. Glad you're getting that worked out, too.

As to the picture.. I believe it was your WOYWW a week or two ago.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #64
Pearl-ExPert

Five blogs Kelly, wow, I have a problem with one, my friend in England talked me into getting one but if I don't use it for a while I forget how to do it and end up losing everything I typed!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Five blogs Kelly, wow, I have a problem with one, my friend in England talked me into getting one but if I don't use it for a while I forget how to do it and end up losing everything I typed!
And I think I miscounted.... let me see.

The constant active ones:

KellySCreativeDreams (creative)
TheCountryAngel (music business)
The Writers Studio (author blog)

two less active but improving:
The Cauldron Cafe (new age)
Pages from an Ozarks Journal (SADLY in need of updating)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #66
Pearl-ExPert

Now I see why you are so busy!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Now I see why you are so busy!!!
yes, and the music promotion side really took off in 2013. Hopefully I'll be getting some decent monetary returns this year.

But I am also determined to do more creating and networking on that front as well. Some really good mixed media and art retreats/ conventions in OR and WA (where my babies are at now)
Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
And why not? LOL Blogger is super easy/ user friendly. I know. I'm tech challenged and I run five. Yes... I said five LOL
Wow Kelly. Do you post regularly on all 5. Excuse the lack of proper punctuation ..... I donèt know how I do it, but quite frequently, my keyboard defaults to French and as you can see on the donèt, it types French accents instead of regular punctuation. I have Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it.
Anyway, if I were to get a blog I would want to keep it active and at present I do not feel like spending the time. My friend got a blog a couple of years ago and her last posting was July, 2012.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose46 View Post
Wow Kelly. Do you post regularly on all 5. Excuse the lack of proper punctuation ..... I donèt know how I do it, but quite frequently, my keyboard defaults to French and as you can see on the donèt, it types French accents instead of regular punctuation. I have Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it.
Anyway, if I were to get a blog I would want to keep it active and at present I do not feel like spending the time. My friend got a blog a couple of years ago and her last posting was July, 2012.
The key is not how OFTEN but that you do it regularly. So if you only want to post one day a week that's fine.

For me, I do post regularly on the top 3. Those are my areas of freelance that I have to promote.

The other 2 are more for me... though the New Age was originally created to build an audience for the 2 new age non-fiction books I want to write.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #70
Pearl-ExPert

Kelly I found an app for my iPad called bloglovin, you can follow blogs without using your email address, especially useful for following daily challenges on blogs, not that I've had much time yet to join in, this morning I had WOYWW, hopefully I'll have time later to join in.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

I've not looked at bloglovin or put their button on my blog. I like the subscribe to email because it will put my post (unless it's a lengthy one) directly into your email. YOu don't have to go to the blog itself unless you want to leave a comment. Which some busy people like.

Let me know how you like blog lovin' - pros and cons.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #72
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm probably not getting my desk top cleared until mid-weekend. Today is my all-day blog post for the music blog. By the time I search out tour dates for 8-10 artists as well as provide links to their website and that of the venue, the post takes me about 6 hours to construct. But I've heard a couple TX radio personalities are using my post for their morning drive show on Thursday mornings... letting their listeners know who's playing where.
grammatroll, auntangie and smadson like this post.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #73
Stazon Splitcoast

Kelly you are amazing! I Find it difficult to do one post a week! You are really motivated, with all your Blogs and writing! And on top of all that you have time to craft, organize, chat, and have a life! Please send me some of your energy!
I did get a Blog post done this morning before Bible study!
Proud Fan Club Member

Last edited by smadson; 01-15-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Old 01-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadson View Post
Kelly you are amazing! I Find it difficult to do one post a week! You are really motivated, with all your Blogs and writing! And on top of all that you have time to craft, organize, chat, and have a life! Please send me some of your energy!
I did get a Blog post done this morning before Bible study!
Life is too short to just sit. I have things I want to accomplish.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, I have things I want to accomplish too, but don't feel I can do justice to a blog right now. Just getting ready for my painting lesson.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is my card . And here is a photo of before, but this image I used was in pile at far right (at top of photo), and you can't see it. But it was there, and now I have used something from my stash!
Of course I cleaned it up before making this card, that is when I found this image already in the oval. But now my desk is messier than it was!
Fun challenge.

blog-post-1-15-14-sm-004.jpg
Proud Fan Club Member
ScrappinCEO likes this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #77
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Sharon, how does that spice rack work for holding your markers?
Mark's Finest Papers A Heinrich Company Designer
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravengirl View Post
Hey Toni!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #79
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravengirl View Post
Hi! How are you?

I like the looks of it, and they are always ready, and near. But if it gets moved they fall out the back! LOL
Proud Fan Club Member
Old 01-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #80
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hey Ladies! I have been lurking mostly. I didn't keep track at the end of last year. After I started my new job, I found myself more busy! There was less down time during the day for me to look at email and such. However, I have remained true to the principles of S2S and continue use my supplies rather than go out and buy way more than I need.

I am once again attempting to reorganize my craft room and it's going better this time. I saw Sharon's spice rack and wondered how it works because I need to find a better marker storage system than I have now. I happen to have the same spice rack (or what looks just like that one) and had wondered about using it to store my markers.

Thanks for the input Sharon!
Mark's Finest Papers A Heinrich Company Designer
ScrappinCEO likes this post.