Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #201
Stazon Splitcoast

Default S2S13E National Geographic Australia

It's Monday morning....time for another challenge.
This week, in 1888, the National Geographic Society was founded. That makes it 125 years old! Their on line site has so much information and wonderful stories and photographs. I have chosen to focus on photos about one country.......yes Stephanie.....Australia. I hope these photos will inspire you to create beautiful cards this week.
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...tralia-photos/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #202
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting challenge, Ina. I'll have to give this one a lot of thought.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #203
Glitter Guru

I'll try to get to this week. I just spent the past four hours reconciling ALL of 2012 for our bank accounts. ugh! why I don't do it throughout the year is beyond me. But, I think I am done gathering and printing tax info. Yay!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #204
Stazon Splitcoast

I already can't wait for tax season to end and I haven't even started doing taxes yet. We get people into the library every single day looking for the forms. They just don't understand why IRS is so slow. Maybe it's because Congress hadn't passed the new tax laws until the end of December and are working on the software. Every year I ask myself why I volunteer to do taxes free but I keep on doing it. It must be the huge smiles and thank yous that keeps me coming back. I had one guy one year almost cry because he thought he was going to pay a lot of taxes and found out he got a nice refund instead.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #205
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose46 View Post
It's Monday morning....time for another challenge.
This week, in 1888, the National Geographic Society was founded. That makes it 125 years old! Their on line site has so much information and wonderful stories and photographs. I have chosen to focus on photos about one country.......yes Stephanie.....Australia. I hope these photos will inspire you to create beautiful cards this week.
Australia Photos -- National Geographic
What gorgeous photos! They should inspire us all! I haven't made a lot of cards so far this year, but did finish 8 scrap pages for January scrap goal!!
Hopefully I will be back with a card for your challenge, Ina.

Sharon
Proud Fan Club Member
Scrapbook Goal 2014 41/60 See them Here
S2S 2014: -$199.92
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #206
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

got the boat one crossed off the list yesterday... not sure I like it but, what the heck. will toss it in the sale pile.

S2S13C a boat by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #207
Stazon Splitcoast

Updated my total for January! I did a lot of challenges, cards, scrap pages, but still came out in the red because of a large SU! order.

Shaorn
Proud Fan Club Member
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #208
Stazon Splitcoast

I was doing real good about digging my way out of the hole until I checked out the product focus in the Weekly Inkling. I probably would have passed up the Kreate-a-Lope if I hadn't been thinking about an envelope for a card I finished. Wasn't thinking about sizes when I made it. Now I have to make a custom envelope for it. Not sure if my order will be here in time to make the envelope, but I'll have it handy for next time. However, I did not slip too far back in the hole.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #209
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

you know what I have noticed this month? ( I am not spending as much as I normally would... because, I know i have to adjust those totals...) so, although I am shopping. I'm OK with what I have spent so far this year. ( even when its red) So, I think this accountability thing is going OK. (and I'm glad I found you guys...)

and late last night I was reading a post in gs. and on the last page ( post 84) there is an off-hand comment about a gal I had been talking to in PM's that rak'd me some old printed paper last year ( that I love ) and I have an envelope going for her on my desk... made her some note cards and stamped images and such... and in this post it mentions she has passed away.
and that really got me. not because, I was terribly close to her but, just the I was too late to send this to her and then it got me thinking about all the other people we know in this site. and or just the internet in general ( when I say this site I mean stampers I hardly turn facebook on every month and I don't do the other social things )except pinterest. but, it got me thinking what if something happened to me? or to you guys? or people I have "known" for a long time. do you have a system in place that someone in your real flesh and blood life would let one of your Internet people know something had happened? (so they could tell others?)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #210
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy, that is a thought that I have had in the past, and not done anything about it. I need to set something up with my daughter, so that she can access this, and let people know, if I get into trouble. I'm glad you have become more accountable, and that's really what this is all about, to become aware and accountable.
Sharon, you will make that money back in no time at all, when you start scrapping! Guess what.....I have been asked to be a judge of a scrapbooking contest for the Optimist clubs in our area. I imagine they won't be expert scrapbookers, but then, neither am I! I suggested they ask at least one other person and suggested a neighbour who is an SU demo and has done lots of scrapbooking.
Debbie, you also are doing great. I need to update my totals, and I am going in the right direction, as I have not spent any more money, and am exercising faithfully.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #211
Pearl-ExPert

I agree that we should set something up as I would hate to think of anything happening to any of you and not knowing about it.
I really wish we had a craft shop or club here, we did a few years ago but, well to be honest she was rubbish, when I showed my friend what we had done she said I was wasting my time.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #212
Stazon Splitcoast

That is strange, because I have wondered about if something happened to me how would you all find out, and would I be missed. I guess I should direct my DH what to do is something happens to me!

If any of you want to play , tonight is Mini VSN and Mini VSBN, also! I just got my SU! order and can't wait to use some of it tonight! Usually the challenges are really fun.

Ina, what fun to be a scrapbook contest judge! You will have to tell us all about it!

Sharon
Proud Fan Club Member
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #213
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadson View Post
That is strange, because I have wondered about if something happened to me how would you all find out, and would I be missed. I guess I should direct my DH what to do is something happens to me!

If any of you want to play , tonight is Mini VSN and Mini VSBN, also! I just got my SU! order and can't wait to use some of it tonight! Usually the challenges are really fun.

Ina, what fun to be a scrapbook contest judge! You will have to tell us all about it!

Sharon
I'm going to try and play. Today is my anniversary, so I don't know that I will be playing real time.
Mark's Finest Papers A Heinrich Company Designer
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #214
Proud Fan Club Member

Thumbs up

a fabulous idea. this sounds like just the thing i need to keep me honest! (LOL)
it sure will be an eye opener for me. i will have to keep this under lock and key so DH won't be able to peek.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #215
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

ah its OK if he does know... because, you know what. it will be easier in the long run and having encouragement to think twice about what you "think" you need and what you really need may be a good thing.

of course mine is (mostly) darling when it comes to money and that is easy for me to say. We've been married 23+ years and dated for 5 before that...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #216
Stazon Splitcoast

We never tell husbands! It's like the Vegas ads.....what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Well, what happens on splitcoast stays on SCS. Unless of course you want to share!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #217
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Anniversary, Toni! How many years is it?

I know I'm going to slip farther in the hole next week after I make an SU order. There's a couple things in the SAB that I want. I don't need them, but I want them. I'll get one of them this month and the other one next month. Since I'm replenishing my cs stash, I don't feel so guilty. I sure do think about my purchases now instead of impulse buying. You ladies would be proud of me if you could see the stuff I'm ignoring when I see it online.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #218

Thank you Debbie! My husband and I have been married for 11 years and together another 5 before that. Last night went as expected. We dropped off my car to have new brakes put on, dropped off our 6yo at his sister's house, went out to dinner and spent the rest of the evening together. I'll get to play along with VSN today, likely before our daughter comes home.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #219
Stazon Splitcoast

A belated happy anniversary to you Toni!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #220

Thank you Ina, it was nice!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #221
Stazon Splitcoast

Default S2S13F challenge 'Circles, coins'

I trust you all had a wonderful weekend, and no one is disappointed with the super bowl results. I'm not a football fan and I don't have a television, so I spent the evening reading a good book.
It's time for another challenge. My challenges at times have a definite Canadian flavour and this week, especially so! Today, we are starting to phase out the penny here in Canada. So, our challenge will be to use circles on our cards. If you can incorporate coins, so much the better!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #222
Glitter Guru

Hello ladies! My weekend was spent waiting and traveling. Emily and I left for East Carolina University in Greenville, NC on Friday for her audition on Saturday to get into the dance program. She has been accepted academically but has to be accepted into the dance program also. This was her third and final college audition. She really liked ECU and we were able to watch a performance Saturday night of the dance department and that really got her excited about the school. So now we wait! We drove home yesterday and thankfully missed the snow that was predicted for an area in the middle of our trip. I do not drive in that weather so am very thankful it didn't happen. Oh, did I mention it was a nine hour drive! Each school she has applied to is 8-9 hours away.

Now, back to cleaning out and organizing. I've gotten lots of new SU stuff but no time to play with them.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #223
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmtinsley View Post
Hello ladies! My weekend was spent waiting and traveling. Emily and I left for East Carolina University in Greenville, NC on Friday for her audition on Saturday to get into the dance program. She has been accepted academically but has to be accepted into the dance program also. This was her third and final college audition. She really liked ECU and we were able to watch a performance Saturday night of the dance department and that really got her excited about the school. So now we wait! We drove home yesterday and thankfully missed the snow that was predicted for an area in the middle of our trip. I do not drive in that weather so am very thankful it didn't happen. Oh, did I mention it was a nine hour drive! Each school she has applied to is 8-9 hours away.

Now, back to cleaning out and organizing. I've gotten lots of new SU stuff but no time to play with them.
I am glad you are home safe, and missed the snow! I wish the best for your daughter. I bet you are so proud of her!
I played with some of my new Su! stuff in VSN this week-end. Even used some on a Scrapbook page for the VSBN warm-up. The VSBN begins this Friday. I am going to be one of the hostesses.

Sharon
Proud Fan Club Member
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #224
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, I hope Emily gets accepted to which ever school she really wants to attend. Glad for the safe travels.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #225

Quote:
I trust you all had a wonderful weekend, and no one is disappointed with the super bowl results. I'm not a football fan and I don't have a television, so I spent the evening reading a good book.
It's time for another challenge. My challenges at times have a definite Canadian flavour and this week, especially so! Today, we are starting to phase out the penny here in Canada. So, our challenge will be to use circles on our cards. If you can incorporate coins, so much the better!
While I live in the states, I live in Washington. We are about an hour south of the border, so I often listen to Canadian radio stations and had heard about the penny being phased out. I don't mind the Canadian flavour at all
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #226
Stazon Splitcoast

Great feedback Toni! You live closer to the Canadian border than I do. I am about 1 hour and 45 minutes north of the American border.
Michele, so glad you missed the snow. I love to see it fall down, but don't like driving in it. I hope your DD gets accepted at the school that is going to be the best for her talents. Sounds like ECU might be a good choice. Too bad it's so far away. My oldest DD lives about 6 hours away and the only time I get to see her (and her darling son of 8 1/2 months old) is when they drive this way. They just spent 5 days here...what a joy! Here's a photo I took on Saturday. Isn't he a doll?
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0005-2-.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #227

Quote:
Great feedback Toni! You live closer to the Canadian border than I do. I am about 1 hour and 45 minutes north of the American border.
Michele, so glad you missed the snow. I love to see it fall down, but don't like driving in it. I hope your DD gets accepted at the school that is going to be the best for her talents. Sounds like ECU might be a good choice. Too bad it's so far away. My oldest DD lives about 6 hours away and the only time I get to see her (and her darling son of 8 1/2 months old) is when they drive this way. They just spent 5 days here...what a joy! Here's a photo I took on Saturday. Isn't he a doll?
Oh he is cute!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #228
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

hee hee

vegas eh? so maybe my in the hole should not be so red

(once in a while the man leans over and glances at my screen though when Im hooting out loud at something here)

I made a card for one of the guys at work yesterday and funny thing, it has a fake asian coin on it...
(so I will upload it later)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #229
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Ina is your avatar the same baby? ( did you guys get a new mug shot this week?) he looks like he's grown a lot and such a cutie!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #230
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Toni - belated anniversary wishes!

Ina- he's a doll!!! Cool challenge, too. I do check each week. Sorry I haven't gotten to one yet. I think circles I can manage!

I'm doing okay so far. Mostly because I haven't been anywhere shopping. I need to do some sewing this month so I don't know how much stamping I'll do.
Gallery Blog
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #231
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
Ina is your avatar the same baby? ( did you guys get a new mug shot this week?) he looks like he's grown a lot and such a cutie!
Stacy....not this is not the same baby! My oldest DD gave birth to Rocky on May 12....he's the one that is pictured.
My youngest child gave birth to Leif on November 11, and he's the one shown in my avatar. That makes 5 grandsons for me...the other three live in Austin are aged 18 (in a week), 14 and 6.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #232
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ina, he is such a doll!!! My DD and her girls are 1200 mile from me so we hardly ever get to see them. Maybe every other year. We have missed so much. However, we are going to make a trip to see them the end of May. i am so excited and can't wait. Not looking for the long drive down and back, but with all the paraphenalia we have to take with us (oxygen concentrator and CPAP) , flying is very inconvenient.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #233
Pearl-ExPert

Ina your grandson is really cute and five grandsons, how brilliant.

Debbie I'm so pleased to hear you have made plans for your visit, I presume you have to make stops on the way, how long will the journey take, where does your DD live?

Our eldest DS is over in five weeks for a flying visit, we haven't seen him since October, the longest time without a visit, due to not spending Christmas together, looking forward to that.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #234
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan, DD lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. We'll take 2 days getting there, depending on how DH feels each day. If he has bad days, we'll make the trip in 3. We got an invitation from our old neighbor when we lived in Lincoln. His 80th birthday is in December but the family is having a party for him the middle of August. Just found out this morning their county fair is the first part of August. My oldest DGD is in 4H and it would be fun to go see her compete. The problem with August is it is so hot and humid there, which is hard on DH's breathing. I'm willing to put up with it if he is. If we do go down in August we'll have to miss the birthday party, which wouldn't be too bad since we wouldn't get much of a chance to visit with Bill. Now we have to make the decision of going in August or sticking with our original plan of May. We have to decide soon so I can turn in my vacation days. Either way, I can't wait to see the girls.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #235
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Debbie that's a long trip, even longer than our trips to England, at least part of our journey is on a ferry, 30hrs but we do get to sleep and have a meal. Do you have to do all the driving? I know how hard it is from when I drove steve home last year.
Well whenever you decide to go you'll be so excited to see your girls, so pleased for you, it's so hard to live so far away, just wish we could drive to see ours over in San Francisco, I so hate that long flight.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #236
Stazon Splitcoast

DH does most of the driving. Don't know why he won't let me drive more. Once we get out of the state it's interstate all the way which is makes it a lot nicer trip. Whenever I get to feeling depressed about not being closer to the girls, I think of you, Jan. My BIL's son and his family are in England with the air force.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #237
Pearl-ExPert

That made me smile Debbie, about thinking of me when you feel depressed! Steve would tell you he feels depressed when he thinks of me, seeing as I'm always spending (his) money!,
Where does the family live in England?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #238
Glitter Guru

As I am organizing my scrapbook stuff into my ScrapRack, I am also purging a lot of stuff I know I won't use.

So, my purging is your blessing! I am going to cut the 12x12 paper into 6x6 squares and I've got embellishments and chipboard stuff and possibly some ribbon. If you would like some FREE stuff, just PM your address. It will be a couple of weeks before I am done but then I will send packets out.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #239
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I ah actually did more shopping yesterday. in person and online, and it was an nose in the air thing. A lady I am very close to in real life, lost one of her other good friends last week. she was diagnosed with cancer and told she had 3-6 months and she made it 5 days past the diagnosis... and I have this huge wish list and the emails came and I thought well, you cant take the money with you... So I order a bunch of dies and a few stamps I've been ogling for a long while. and I will have to dig out the receipts later and adjust again.

good thing we've all moved our chat thread to Vegas
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #240
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan, I can't remember the name of the air base or the town they're near. I keep losing the paper when I write it down. I'll have ot ask DH later if he remembers.

Michele, you really are purging. Do you like your ScrapRack? I'm wondering if it's a real good investment.