Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #281
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's a card I finished yesterday. It kind of evolved from me cleaning off my desk to making this card instead. I was playing with the marker layering tutorial so I just grabbed some markers. I didn't give any of the challenges a thought. I kind of got 5 of the 8 crayon colors now that I look at it closer. I did eventually get my desked cleaned up even though I kept adding to the mess.

Pam 2012 by grammatroll - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #282
Glitter Guru

I have to share with you all. We gave the girls their valentine's gifts tonight because we finally got our 12 yo dd a phone and I had just got it earlier tonight. I couldn't just give it to her in a bag. She had said she wanted a bag of Hershey caramel kisses so I got a bag of those and cut a slit in the back under the seam, slid the phone in and then used my red-line tape to seal it. I put that bag and her card in a gift bag. It was so funny. She was trying to open the bag when the bag started ringing! Hilarious! I'm such a sneaky mom. bwahahahaha!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #283
Stazon Splitcoast

That is so funny. Would have loved to see the look on her face.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #284
Stazon Splitcoast

Too funny, Michelle! You are not sneaky. you are GOOD!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #285
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmtinsley View Post
I have to share with you all. We gave the girls their valentine's gifts tonight because we finally got our 12 yo dd a phone and I had just got it earlier tonight. I couldn't just give it to her in a bag. She had said she wanted a bag of Hershey caramel kisses so I got a bag of those and cut a slit in the back under the seam, slid the phone in and then used my red-line tape to seal it. I put that bag and her card in a gift bag. It was so funny. She was trying to open the bag when the bag started ringing! Hilarious! I'm such a sneaky mom. bwahahahaha!
Good one! She won't forget that anytime soon!
Mark's Finest Papers A Heinrich Company Designer
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #286
Glitter Guru

love your card, Debbie!

Emily and I are leaving tomorrow morning for a trip to visit Oklahoma City University. Now, we LIVE in Chattanooga, TN which is the bottom SE corner of the state so we are going all the way across Tennessee and Arkansas and halfway acrosss Oklahoma to visit a college. I'll just say that chances of her actually going to college there is VERY small, especially when there is a college just 1 1/2 hours from home that has a good dance program too. Anyway, we are driving (13hours) and I would really appreciate prayers for safe, uneventful travels. I'll have my laptop, so I'll update.

I may get some stamping in while gone because I am meeting another SU demonstrator on Saturday when Emily will be in dance classes. So excited about that!

Have a great day!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #287
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
What a fabulous idea~
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #288
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
love your card, Debbie!

Emily and I are leaving tomorrow morning for a trip to visit Oklahoma City University. Now, we LIVE in Chattanooga, TN which is the bottom SE corner of the state so we are going all the way across Tennessee and Arkansas and halfway acrosss Oklahoma to visit a college. I'll just say that chances of her actually going to college there is VERY small, especially when there is a college just 1 1/2 hours from home that has a good dance program too. Anyway, we are driving (13hours) and I would really appreciate prayers for safe, uneventful travels. I'll have my laptop, so I'll update.

I may get some stamping in while gone because I am meeting another SU demonstrator on Saturday when Emily will be in dance classes. So excited about that!

Have a great day!
My DGD in CA is a dancer. She's Freshman in HS this year, but has been dancing since she was a toddler. She takes classes just about every day and for the last 3 years has 2 recitals each year - one in the Summer and they started putting on The Nutcracker 3 years ago. She wants to go "away" for college later. Which college near you has that good dance program? What makes it good?
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #289
Stazon Splitcoast

Praying for Michele and Emily.....'Lord, put a bubble of protection around them, keep the car running smoothly, keep them safe on the highways and keep the conversation sweet between mother and daughter'.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #290
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Michele. Have a safe trip. And have fun while you're there.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #291
Stazon Splitcoast

Forgot to mention....I just placed two orders, which will bring my totals in the red again, but I won't update till the end of the month.....that way I can enjoy seeing the black a little longer. My orders were with Clear Dollar Stamps, who have a huge sale on right now. I ordered a bunch of stamps to give as a door prize at our 5th Annual Spring Fest in Buffalo on April 28..
My second order was with Our Daily Bread, who have a wonderful new stamp out. I won't receive that order until I go to Texas at the end of March, as shipping to Canada was prohibitive.....$14. versus $5. to the U.S. I'm so glad I have a son in Texas!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #292
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
My DGD in CA is a dancer. She's Freshman in HS this year, but has been dancing since she was a toddler. She takes classes just about every day and for the last 3 years has 2 recitals each year - one in the Summer and they started putting on The Nutcracker 3 years ago. She wants to go "away" for college later. Which college near you has that good dance program? What makes it good?
She sounds like my daughter. Emily has been dancing for 12 years and is at the studio about 20hrs/week. That includes classes, team rehearsals and work study. OKU has a program geared for the entertainment industry but the school near us, Kennesaw State University, has a good one also. Several schools have dance majors but a lot of them concentrate on ballet which Emily doesn't want to focus on. she prefers jazz and modern. Kennesaw has that and I think that's the program which the director requires the students to audition for various performances so they gain that audition experience. That's one thing to look at, does the program prepare the student for the dancing world. Emily's ultimate goal is to dance on Broadway.

Has your DGD looked at ULV (Las Vegas)? One of the instructors at our studio graduated from there. Good luck to your DGD.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #293
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose46 View Post
Forgot to mention....I just placed two orders, which will bring my totals in the red again, but I won't update till the end of the month.....that way I can enjoy seeing the black a little longer. My orders were with Clear Dollar Stamps, who have a huge sale on right now. I ordered a bunch of stamps to give as a door prize at our 5th Annual Spring Fest in Buffalo on April 28..
My second order was with Our Daily Bread, who have a wonderful new stamp out. I won't receive that order until I go to Texas at the end of March, as shipping to Canada was prohibitive.....$14. versus $5. to the U.S. I'm so glad I have a son in Texas!
First of all, if you're going to give the stamps away as prizes, I don't think you need to count them for your total.

Second, whereabout in Texas are you coming to?
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #294
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
She sounds like my daughter. Emily has been dancing for 12 years and is at the studio about 20hrs/week. That includes classes, team rehearsals and work study. OKU has a program geared for the entertainment industry but the school near us, Kennesaw State University, has a good one also. Several schools have dance majors but a lot of them concentrate on ballet which Emily doesn't want to focus on. she prefers jazz and modern. Kennesaw has that and I think that's the program which the director requires the students to audition for various performances so they gain that audition experience. That's one thing to look at, does the program prepare the student for the dancing world. Emily's ultimate goal is to dance on Broadway.

Has your DGD looked at ULV (Las Vegas)? One of the instructors at our studio graduated from there. Good luck to your DGD.
I don't think she's really started looking at schools yet. My DD wants her to go to BYU and she's signed up for a Dance Camp there in the Summer so she'll be able to check it out. I'll have to make note of these places for when she gets serious about where she's going to go. Thanks.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #295
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
First of all, if you're going to give the stamps away as prizes, I don't think you need to count them for your total.

Second, whereabout in Texas are you coming to?
I'll figure out how much I am going to put in the 'Spring Fest' package and subtract that, as there are one or two stamps that I wanted for myself.
I will be going to the north end of Austin. That's where all my current grandsons live. We are expecting a Canadian grandson in May.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #296
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
I'll figure out how much I am going to put in the 'Spring Fest' package and subtract that, as there are one or two stamps that I wanted for myself.
I will be going to the north end of Austin. That's where all my current grandsons live. We are expecting a Canadian grandson in May.
At least you should be coming to Texas during a good time. Rain should be done and not too hot.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #297
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Praying for Michele and Emily.....'Lord, put a bubble of protection around them, keep the car running smoothly, keep them safe on the highways and keep the conversation sweet between mother and daughter'.
Ahhh.. That is such a nice prayer Ina.

Have a safe trip ladies!
2014 100 in 100 Challenge round #2 40/100
Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #298
Stazon Splitcoast

DH and I went to Michael's before his doctor's appointment. I had a 50% coupon so just had to look. Usually I end up not being able to use my coupons because what I want to buy is already on sale. I lucked out today. I got a MS border bunch at half price. I really was going to stop there, but I checked out to see what kind of embossing folders they had. All Cuttlebug products were half off. And I found a pack of patterned paper that was normally $19.99 for $7.50. All in all, I spent under $35.00 today. Since it's 120 miles away, we don't get into Michael's very often. I quit looking around when I picked out the treasures I did. Now I have to get back to making more cards to keep me in the black.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #299
Stazon Splitcoast

Darn. I just updated my totals and I'm in the red. Not by much, though.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #300
Glitter Guru

thank you Ina for the prayer! you are so sweet!

Update: We made it to Little rock in very good time (8 hours) on Thursday; left about 7:30 this morning to arrive at Oklahoma City Univ by 1:00pm. We got there at 12:40. we were able to meet the dean of the dance school, take a tour, meet with a financial aid counselor and an admissions counselor. After that we visited with a friend's parents that had already been warned they may be adopting a grandaughter. LOL! they actually live just 2miles from the university. emily will have dance classes taught by the faculty all day tomorrow. I was hoping I wouldn't like the school, but I do. We still have a few more to check out though. We will be leaving Sunday morning to head home. Thanks for the prayers ladies!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #301
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, I'm glad you made the trip without problems. I pray you'll have a smooth return trip.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #302
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to sami02usc

I FOUND YOU!!!!! I don't think I will get cought up on 2 months of reading but I have had horrible computer issues (like total death to them) to start my 2012 but sure have missed you ladies. I hope this finds everyone in good health (or in some cases as good as can be
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #303
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome back, Samantha! I was just thinking about you this week and planning to message you, but here you are! Sorry for your computer problems. Hope to be 'seeing' you lots on here.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #304
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm off to a 'Bo Bunny' card making class today. It's a 2 hour drive from here (in London) at scrappingreatdeals. The store where it is being held is a large scrapbooking store, so I will probably be spending $$, as she has Marianne and Cheery Lynn dies. Hopefully, the drive won't be bad, as it snowed 2 inches during the night, with a bit more to come. My friend, MelissaL on SCS will probably offer to drive as she has a big heavy Buick, and I only have a little bitty Toyota Echo.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #305
Stazon Splitcoast

Sounds like fun, Ina. Have lots of fun and a safe trip.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #306
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami02usc View Post
I FOUND YOU!!!!! I don't think I will get cought up on 2 months of reading but I have had horrible computer issues (like total death to them) to start my 2012 but sure have missed you ladies. I hope this finds everyone in good health (or in some cases as good as can be

Hi Samantha!! I too had been wondering where you were!!! Hope you and hubby are doing well.....bring us up to date!!!!

SCS BRAK Volunteer
Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #307
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammatroll View Post
DH and I went to Michael's before his doctor's appointment. I had a 50% coupon so just had to look. Usually I end up not being able to use my coupons because what I want to buy is already on sale. I lucked out today. I got a MS border bunch at half price. I really was going to stop there, but I checked out to see what kind of embossing folders they had. All Cuttlebug products were half off. And I found a pack of patterned paper that was normally $19.99 for $7.50. All in all, I spent under $35.00 today. Since it's 120 miles away, we don't get into Michael's very often. I quit looking around when I picked out the treasures I did. Now I have to get back to making more cards to keep me in the black.
Yeah, the sales were really good. I managed to use 2 50% (thank you hubby) but they were for art supplies I needed - technically not for stamping. But I went in with the purpose of picking up Recollections embellies - brads and eyelets for my granddaughters' albums. let's just say hubby was warned the check would not be pretty - then $25 of it wound up being stuff HE put in the basket LOL
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #308
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
thank you Ina for the prayer! you are so sweet!

Update: We made it to Little rock in very good time (8 hours) on Thursday; left about 7:30 this morning to arrive at Oklahoma City Univ by 1:00pm. We got there at 12:40. we were able to meet the dean of the dance school, take a tour, meet with a financial aid counselor and an admissions counselor. After that we visited with a friend's parents that had already been warned they may be adopting a grandaughter. LOL! they actually live just 2miles from the university. emily will have dance classes taught by the faculty all day tomorrow. I was hoping I wouldn't like the school, but I do. We still have a few more to check out though. We will be leaving Sunday morning to head home. Thanks for the prayers ladies!
Travel safe, ladies. You might run into weather Monday on your way across Northern AR. We're to get hit with thunderstorms Tuesday here in southcentral MO - meaning those storms will be coming north east at us from Mon. night.

If you're going to be traveling on 60 East towards Poplar Bluff MO or Sikeston MO... let me know and maybe I can meet you guys for a quick pit stop. I'll PM my cell number. You may also use it if you have problems somewhere.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #309
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami02usc View Post
Sami!!!!!!

Goodness girl! Have missed you. Knew you'd find us. And also knew we'd know if something was wrong.

Don't worry about catching up. You're here now and that's what counts
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #310
Glitter Guru

well I am creating and blogging regularly and working the A Muse Business Toledo is OK but I am actually staying at mom's this week that is why I have a computer. She is in fla so I am house and cat sitting until the 27th. Jeremy is holding down our fort and the University he has catered quite a few basketball games over the last 2 months and before that it was football. hopefully I will manage to get on during a time of day when others are actually on to chat. talk to you all soon!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #311
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm just wondering.....did we get a challenge this week? I shouldn't be so impatient.......I haven't even done last week's challenge yet. Maybe later today, after I get home from applying for my passport. If I drive to the ministry office, I will get my passport in just over a week. If I send it by mail, it could take up to a month, so I guess I'll go for a one hour drive (each way) today.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #312
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
Travel safe, ladies. You might run into weather Monday on your way across Northern AR. We're to get hit with thunderstorms Tuesday here in southcentral MO - meaning those storms will be coming north east at us from Mon. night.

If you're going to be traveling on 60 East towards Poplar Bluff MO or Sikeston MO... let me know and maybe I can meet you guys for a quick pit stop. I'll PM my cell number. You may also use it if you have problems somewhere.
Thanks, Kelly! We are home. We made it home MOnday around 1pm (eastern). The drive was pretty easy. It is only I-24 & I-40 the whole way. I-40 is the longest part of it. coming back, we stopped in Jackson, TN for the night. At that point we still had 5 hours left and I was so tired. Now, to review the other schools and determine which ones to visit. Emily said it's going to be hard for the others to beat OCU.

Now back to the everyday stuff!

Sami, so glad to see you back!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #313
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad you are home safe Michele!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #314
Stazon Splitcoast

Default S2S12H Challenge

Hey ladies!

I am so sorry. I thought of this on Sunday night and then totally spaced it Monday morning.

February 14-21 is National Bird Week..

So your challenge this week is to make a card showcasing a BIRD or a bird HOUSE

BONUS!

If you include both in some way - you get an extra point!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #315
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Kelly.......that should be an easy challenge. Everyone loves birds; at least I think so.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #316
Quacker Stamper

I just got the cutest digi image that will be perfect for this challenge. Now, just to get it done.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #317
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I've been itching to break out my bird punch again!
Mark's Finest Papers A Heinrich Company Designer
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #318
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks Kelly.......that should be an easy challenge. Everyone loves birds; at least I think so.
I've not researched it yet though I have been told my multiple bird 'specialists' (they have a name just can't think of it) that the Robin is NOT a migratory bird.

So if we only see them in the spring, where do they go the rest of the time?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #319
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting question, Kelly.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #320
Glitter Guru

found on yahoo answers for you: The American Robin is migratory. However, they are not "complete" migrants. That is: not all individuals leave their breeding range during non breeding months.

In western New York and all around the Great Lakes Region some Robins remain in this region during the cold months. This is dependent upon available food supply.

We see fewer Robins in winter because they are less conspicuous. They flock and these groups prefer rural areas, or areas where there are few people, but available food.

In spring the Robins are more obvious because they are moving back into more populated areas as the flock breaks up in an activity called breeding dispersal. Robins are not community nesters. Each pair has it's own territory. This results in the Robins being more obvious to the casual observer because they are spread over a large area. ( Think of marbles. If you have them all together it is easy to hide them all in 1 place. If you scatter them it is much easier to find 1 or 2 but not all)

Robins do not lose their color in winter although is may not be as bright as their feathers wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
I've not researched it yet though I have been told my multiple bird 'specialists' (they have a name just can't think of it) that the Robin is NOT a migratory bird.

So if we only see them in the spring, where do they go the rest of the time?

Inquiring minds want to know