Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #201
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all, I have gone back and read some of the posts and it sounds like everyone is busy with this and that. Like several of you, I have cut my swaps down, W A Y D O W N. A couple of years ago I was in swaps so heavily that I would have 3 or more swaps due each month. I just about went crazy. Now I am way more particular about the swaps I'm in. I only join swaps that I know I will use. I can make enough cards to keep me in cards for a while so I don't think I've joined but, maybe, 2 of those in the past 6 months or so. I have 1 due mid March, a Thank You card swap. I figure I can use those easily. I have gotten into my scrapping more in the last year or so. I like the PAT swaps because I can choose the theme that I am working on. So I don't get anything that I can't use from that swap. I am also in an 11 month swap where each month one of the ladies gets 10 boxes/envies from the other swappers. They get things that fit the survey questions they ordered. I spend less each month than when I was in all those other swaps and I'm getting things that I want and can use. Like Charlie - Win-ning!

Today was a bad hobby spending day though. The PAT I'm in is due 30 Jan and I have not begun it. My craft room is way crazy and I have no time to dig for what I need so I purchased new paper and some embellies for this swap. That along with more fabric for curtains, etc for a room I'm working on and I spent $24.94. I only paid full price for 1 or 2 pkgs of embellies the rest I either had a coupon for or they were on sale. That is all I've spent this month so far. I may have to purchase a few other things but I can't imagine it going over $30 total for the month. Of course, that does not include the postage. That part really bites. And I understand that it is scheduled to go up next week. ARG!!! to the current max!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #202
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay...I have to admit to my foolishness!!! I was soooo drooling over some Unity Stamps and thinking how much I would love to have this one particular kit. Well, I am preparing for my flea mkt this weekend where I will be selling some used stuff and doing free make n takes. I have to say my craft room has been a disaster for the last month being sick and company for Christmas etc...Anyhow, I got all my stuff together for Sat. then started cleaning my craft table. As I was cleaning I found a stamp kit that was in my holding spot for new kits and what do you know but I had apparently purchased the same kit I was drooling over b4 the holidays! I could not believe it and am so excited now!!! I feel like a kid in a candy store!!!

I am a life artist and love it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #203
Polyshrink Goddess

Last week I spent the first craft money I have spent this year, $6.24 for a used SU set on ebay. The set was only .99, the rest was postage, but he sent it priority mail for $5.20, so he sure didn't make much on it.

I contacted a nearby nursing home last week, and they gave me the names and birthdates for 12 residents. I made and sent each a hello card, and a birthday card to one whose bd is this week. I'm also working on Valentines, have most done, one for each family member and a few friends, but now need to make a few more for the nursing home. I plan to send each one a card every month, as well as one on their bd. Am also making some baby and thank you cards for a challenge. All supplies "purchased" in my stash!

Free cat hair with every card!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #204
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
Okay...I have to admit to my foolishness!!! I was soooo drooling over some Unity Stamps and thinking how much I would love to have this one particular kit. Well, I am preparing for my flea mkt this weekend where I will be selling some used stuff and doing free make n takes. I have to say my craft room has been a disaster for the last month being sick and company for Christmas etc...Anyhow, I got all my stuff together for Sat. then started cleaning my craft table. As I was cleaning I found a stamp kit that was in my holding spot for new kits and what do you know but I had apparently purchased the same kit I was drooling over b4 the holidays! I could not believe it and am so excited now!!! I feel like a kid in a candy store!!!
At least you didn't buy it again. I have done that TWICE with SU. Have given them both away and vow to be MUCH more careful from now on.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #205
Matboard Maniac

Oh boy I'm sorry to hear about the car troubles

To those of you looking for work...prayers, hugs and well wishes that you find just what you are looking for and really soon!! I understand about living on less. Honestly though...I'm kind of enjoying it. When I was married our household had a six figure income, I worked lots of hours, was stressed to the hilt etc. Now I'm pretty sure I'm living at poverty level...or really close! With that said, I work part time 20hrs a week, but I get free rent in a BEAUTIFUL brand new apartment (100 yr old building newly remodeled) and no utilities (even my internet is free). So with my salary I can afford to manage as long as I stick to my budget and I'm virtually stress free. I have a 16yo dd and I work while she is in school. It's really a great deal for the two of us and really what I wanted most now that her dad has choosen not to be involved!

Let's keep doing our best to stick to our budgets and when we don't we won't beat ourselves up, but stay encouraged and try a little harder next time

I'm looking forward to exercising...have my new playlist ready!! I'm going to try that Nike app where you choose an athlete and they "encourage" you while you are working out. Anybody have that app or one similar?

Last edited by Crafty Chelle; 01-19-2012 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: fix typo
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #206
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face Oh Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa59 View Post
I quit shopping for swaps a couple years ago. No brad swaps, no recipe swaps, no ribbon swaps. Sure, it's fun. But for me it just wasn't worth it. It didn't take long for me to realize that my taste isn't the same as others. I ended up mostly with stuff I wouldn't use. I figured I'd be better off spending the money buying stuff for ME, ME, ME. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbysmom View Post
I need to do what you did Melissa! Quit swaps altogether! I'd hate to try to figure out how much I've spent in postage alone not even considering the items to put into the envelopes/packages! Swaps are a blast - don't get me wrong - but every penny I've spent could have gone on me and then some considering postage. I've gotten some terrific things from swaps (cards, items) but I've given away most of the cards I've received since as much as I like to MAKE cards I'm horrible at SENDING cards and as far as the supplies go alot of it either hasn't been my style or to my liking and those things have been given away also (mostly to my DIL or the thrift store).
Ugh! ugh! ugh! ..I've been really thinking about this lately too. I quit card swaps awhile ago when I stopped enjoying the process. Not too long ago though I found the "Everything Else" swaps. It is FUN! but when I really sat down and added up what I TRULY spent and compared it to what I received that I would actually use ... well, let's just say it seemed silly that I didn't just spend $$ on me for stuff I really would use. I do like DSS however, I've decided to reduce the other variety of swaps I participate in. I'll just add that into my craft spending budget!

You ladies are SO INSPIRING! and we're only 20 days into this.

I'm THRILLED to share that I wandered through an Archivers today, got a couple fun ideas and didn't spend a dime! UNBELIEVEABLE ... let me just tell you I was so tempted. I am out-of-town for work and realized that I was just shopping because I was bored. It wouldn't be bad to pick up a couple pieces of paper for a layout I want to do from an Award Ceremony I went to but what's crazy is that I wouldn't have stopped with just a couple pieces of paper, I would have bought LOTS of stuff that was CUTE! It's part of the reason I have a room full of stuff now. It felt really good to just walk out the door without anything, like a hurdle I was able to get over.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #207
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneB1030 View Post
I contacted a nearby nursing home last week, and they gave me the names and birthdates for 12 residents. I made and sent each a hello card, and a birthday card to one whose bd is this week. I'm also working on Valentines, have most done, one for each family member and a few friends, but now need to make a few more for the nursing home. I plan to send each one a card every month, as well as one on their bd. Am also making some baby and thank you cards for a challenge. All supplies "purchased" in my stash!
WOW! What a great idea! I don't live too far from a small facility and that would be FUN! I'm going to call then when I return and see if they do something like that TFS!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #208
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russnzella View Post
Melissa, I think we go through the same things in life! . . . Anyway - don't get discouraged girlfriend, you'll find something! And it might even be something you never thought you would be doing! Today I make less money than I have in 10 years. But you know what? I'm only 2 miles from home, love the people I work with, and love what I do. You'll find that too! I'm certain of it!!!
Hugs Zella! Thank you for the cheering up. I needed it. No callbacks sure does knock the wind out of a person's ego. I"m applying for jobs paying nearly half what I was making and I'm also registered with a temp agency. I'm sure something will break loose eventually. If I could actually get a job in town, working with people I like doing something I enjoy, I'd be heaven!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #209
Swapper of the Month February 2013

OOO - I love the nursing home idea! Question though - do you also visit those people? Or is it sending cards? And did you ask for specifics such as people who don't have family coming or something like that? Just wondered. Would love to do something like that myself....and want to get a game plan in place. Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #210
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by russnzella View Post
OOO - I love the nursing home idea! Question though - do you also visit those people? Or is it sending cards? And did you ask for specifics such as people who don't have family coming or something like that? Just wondered. Would love to do something like that myself....and want to get a game plan in place. Thanks for the inspiration!!!
That is exactly what I did. I called and asked for the activities director. I also asked if there were any issues with sending cards saying things about God, or prayer, or anything like that, as I don't want to offend anyone. He said most of their residents would find it comforting. I also asked for birthdays. A few days later he sent me a list of a dozen names with room numbers, religious preference and birthday. He asked how many names I wanted, and I thought a dozen cards a month for this was enough to commit to for now. I don't want to be overwhelmed and unable to keep up with cards for them each month like I plan.

I think it would be great if others did this too. I think there are a lot of lonely people who would be cheered up by us sharing what we love to do. and by the way, the baby cards I'm working on are for the Community Pregnancy Center. Thanks so much for THAT inspiration!

Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #211
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

So what exactly did you say to introduce yourself? "Hi, I'm going to send you a card for the next year..." This sounds like something I would really enjoy, and my daughter, too, but how do you phrase the first card??

Just call me clueless...
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #212
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Joy View Post
So what exactly did you say to introduce yourself? "Hi, I'm going to send you a card for the next year..." This sounds like something I would really enjoy, and my daughter, too, but how do you phrase the first card??

Just call me clueless...
I had to think about it for a while myself! This is what I ended up saying.

"Dear __________,

My name is Dianne Bolden, and my hobby is making greeting cards. I spoke with your activities director and asked who at Fountain West might enjoy receiving cards, and he gave me your name. If it's alright with you I'd like to send you a card every once in a while.

With kind thoughts,

Dianne Bolden"

While my intention is to send one every month I didn't want to promise that in writing, and I wanted them to know where I got their name. I didn't want some poor soul wondering if she was getting alzheimer's because she couldn't remember who this person is who sent her a card, or to freak anyone out wondering where some stranger got their name.

Last edited by DianneB1030; 01-20-2012 at 06:48 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #213
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Joy View Post

Just call me clueless...
Me too!

Thanks Dianne for the inspiration!! I'm going to do this I also think my daughter will enjoy doing this too!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #214
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Last week I spent the first craft money I have spent this year, $6.24 for a used SU set on ebay. The set was only .99, the rest was postage, but he sent it priority mail for $5.20, so he sure didn't make much on it.

Awesome savings!!!

Super sweet of you doing that for the nursing home. They love it! I work at an Assisted Living Community and even more so we love for volunteers to come and do a simple card class with our residents. They LOVE crafts!!! I used to be the Activity Director and did it all with them. Now that I am the Bus Ofc Mgr I don't have time to do it anymore but our volunteers come and help the Activities person.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #215
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
At least you didn't buy it again. I have done that TWICE with SU. Have given them both away and vow to be MUCH more careful from now on.
Yes, I thought that myself. Isn't it funny how we are drawn to like the particular things and find ourselves repeating them?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #216
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Chelle View Post
Oh boy I'm sorry to hear about the car troubles

To those of you looking for work...prayers, hugs and well wishes that you find just what you are looking for and really soon!! I understand about living on less. Honestly though...I'm kind of enjoying it. When I was married our household had a six figure income, I worked lots of hours, was stressed to the hilt etc. Now I'm pretty sure I'm living at poverty level...or really close! With that said, I work part time 20hrs a week, but I get free rent in a BEAUTIFUL brand new apartment (100 yr old building newly remodeled) and no utilities (even my internet is free). So with my salary I can afford to manage as long as I stick to my budget and I'm virtually stress free. I have a 16yo dd and I work while she is in school. It's really a great deal for the two of us and really what I wanted most now that her dad has choosen not to be involved!

Let's keep doing our best to stick to our budgets and when we don't we won't beat ourselves up, but stay encouraged and try a little harder next time

I'm looking forward to exercising...have my new playlist ready!! I'm going to try that Nike app where you choose an athlete and they "encourage" you while you are working out. Anybody have that app or one similar?
I love your attitude on this!!! So true!!

I was talking with one of the residents at my assisted living community who is 92. I asked her what the secret was for living so long and she said not worrying about stuff and doing what you want to do in life. Sounds pretty simplistic, doesn't it?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #217
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, and the Asssited Living and Nursing homes love extra papers or stuff you don't want or need anymore. I am continually bringing in my left over papers I don't want anymore. I have also brought stamps, stamp pads, ribbon, etc. to them. Adhesive is another big need.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #218
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
Oh, and the Asssited Living and Nursing homes love extra papers or stuff you don't want or need anymore. I am continually bringing in my left over papers I don't want anymore. I have also brought stamps, stamp pads, ribbon, etc. to them. Adhesive is another big need.
That's good to know. Everyone thinks of donating to a school or to Goodwill, but we usually don't always think of somewhere like assisted living or nursing homes for craft supplies.

I don't get around very easily, especially in the winter, so visiting or doing classes probably won't happen for me, but I think it would be a lot of fun.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #219
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Dianne I love this idea. I go to Church with a couple of ladies that work at the nursing home in our town. I will ask them who I should contact to get information from. I know that there are a few seniors who do not have family close by and I think it would cheer them up to get a card for no other reason than to say you are special. Seniors paved the road for us it is only fitting that we thank them for that and give them something to smile about. Thank you for the idea Dianne and thank you for being so thoughtful of others, that is becoming a rare thing now a days.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #220
Glitter Queen

Quote:
I had to think about it for a while myself! This is what I ended up saying.

"Dear __________,

My name is Dianne Bolden, and my hobby is making greeting cards. I spoke with your activities director and asked who at Fountain West might enjoy receiving cards, and he gave me your name. If it's alright with you I'd like to send you a card every once in a while.

With kind thoughts,

Dianne Bolden"

While my intention is to send one every month I didn't want to promise that in writing, and I wanted them to know where I got their name. I didn't want some poor soul wondering if she was getting alzheimer's because she couldn't remember who this person is who sent her a card, or to freak anyone out wondering where some stranger got their name.
Thanks for that fabulous idea Dianne.....I love it and am going to the Villages that we have here next week to see how I go!!!!

Thanks again
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #221
Glitter Queen

Ok after saying that I was in for this challenge and that I would spend nothing for the month....I decided that I really needed to get into the craft room and check out exactly what was hanging around in there that I had forgotten about....so after 2 days of cleaning out boxes and cupboards etc.....I have decided that I have more than enough to keep up with this challenge and that there is lots and lots in there that I had totally forgotten about (oooopppsss). Also am donating a heap of stuff to the retirement village when i go up there this week to find out who i can send cards to as my daughter and I have talked about this (she is and we have decided that our news years resolution this year is to bring as many smiles to the elderly that we can..... very happy with my daughters decision on this matter..... Thanks again to Dianne for the brilliant idea it is exactly was I was looking for to get involved in a commumity that my daughter and I dont know anyone so hopefully this way we will meet new people and also put a good foot forward in new community.....
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #222
Glitter Queen

Quote:
I'm not counting pet food, laundry detergent or any grocery items in my craft budget. For me, it's all craft items, craft storage and other craft-related stuff.

Curious, when you put things back, were you thinking about this challenge? I find that having a challenge, having someone to check in with, helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

I too am quite overweight. Worse, I'm just plain out of shape. Being out of work for two years hasn't helped. My stamina got even worse after I had surgery last year. I still get fatigued and I get winded so much quicker than I did before the surgery--and it wasn't all that good before. I really need to get on my treadmill (just to walk, not run) but I don't think about it until late at night.
My biggest problem with the whole craft budget is that I am use to being a working girl and having the money to buy what I want when I see it and not worry......Now that I am not working due to having major problems with my spine and waiting for surgery (still more than 12months away) I dont have the money to buy as I wish but the brain is still not use to this and it sees something and thinks that I need it....when in fact I really nothing at all.....As for the weight...yeah it is creaping on now that I am not working but I need to find a way to move it without doing to much as walking to much and standing to much hurts these days......
Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #223
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies! Happy Saturday! We are in a deep freeze here, our first for this winter season. It's currently 2 below. Brrrr!

I quit my job last November and we are struggling financially. We have savings/401k money that we can fall back on in an emergency but budgeting on my husband's Social Security is a challenge. I need to look for another job but the thought of it is depressing! Jobs are few and far between at my age. I worked retail (front end cashier) and just couldn't take the stress of it anymore and am perplexed as what even to apply for! What I'd like to do is punt until I qualify for social security which isn't THAT far off. Budgeting for craftig has become a complete necessity and I do miss being able to spend when I want to (although I didn't NEED to!). Right now using stash items is fine since I have plenty to choose from.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #224
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a wonderful weekend!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #225
Stampin' Fool

My heart goes out to all of you who are out of work or struggling with financial issues or health issues! (((HUGS!))) Sounds like so many of us are in the same boat!
Well, was able to get back on track with exercising, and now I need to clean house. My craft room is messy in places again; had to do some rearranging, and still in the process.
So sweet of those of you giving cards to residents in nursing homes! Wish I could commit to something of that sort, but already have more than I can handle. Still going to make cards for animal charity sale and have to get my house in order and exercise; among the many,many projects I may never get to.
Sounds like you are all doing really well with your goals, and if you went a little over, don't fret. We're all human! Plus, we can always do better tomorrow! Although, I've been telling myself about this house for a while. Better get off the computer soon and get to it!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #226
Stazon Splitcoast

I had to purchase a little more paper and embellies today for 2 swaps that are due VERY soon. I spent $3.00+ change for 12 pieces of paper and a $1.99 package of embellies. I already have plans for 9 pieces of the paper. So that makes less than $30 for the month and about $13 of that was actually for sewing projects in my home and not paper crafting. WOO HOO!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #227
Glitter Queen

Hello everyone.....I am proud of myself today......Today I had to make a wedding card for my cousin whos wedding is in a couple of weeks....I have been looking at a lovely Mr and Mrs Chipboard words at my local scrap shop and have been thinking for weeks that that is what I would get and use on the front of the card.....but sticking to my word that I wouldnt spend any money this month I just changed the design in my head a little and just used chipboard letters that I had here and glittered them.......so i have the card finished and didnt spend a cent.....so proud......and also while doing that said card i managed to put everything away as I used it and so by the time I finished my lovely craftroom that I spent days cleaning the other week....IS STILL SPOTLESS....YAY!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #228
Matboard Maniac

Such great ideas!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #229
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, next week is when I really have to be careful of my spending. I get my SS check on Wednesday. My LSS lets me keep a basket there so I can "shop" all month, adding to the basket until SS day when I come in and buy it all (sometimes it has REALLY added up!!). I don't have a basket going this month, but will need to be really careful when I go in to pick up the replacement for a defective Spellbinders die they got in for me.

Also, before Christmas I took advantage of a deal at Archiver's where I bought a $25 gift card and got a $5 coupon for myself that has to be used before the end of January. I want to go use it, but don't want to spend much more than that.

I'm hoping if I decide what I really NEED before I go, rather than just browsing and picking up every really cool or really cute new thing I see I can be strong and resist temptation.

Oh, and SU card club is Tuesday, so I have to place an order, but I need to be careful to stay around the minimum ($25 -$30).

This is the time of the month when I can so easily go into a craft shopping frenzy!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #230
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec812 View Post
Now that I am not working due to having major problems with my spine and waiting for surgery (still more than 12months away) . . . I need to find a way to move it without doing to much as walking to much and standing to much hurts these days......
Oh my heart goes out to you! I can't imagine dealing with chronic pain. These days, my short term aches and pains are getting the best of me physically & emotionally: pulling a muscle in my leg last week; recovering from (traditional) gallbladder surgery last fall; hysterectomy two years ago (the full slice through the belly surgery was a breeze compared to my gallbladder surgery!)

As we get older, I think it's even more important that we nourish and move our bodies. (I say that...and then I had 2 brownies for lunch and still haven't stepped on the treadmill this year).
Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #231
Stampin' Fool

I'm trying to invent creative ways to come up with craft funds that does not take away from my food & utilities budget. I'm not an entrepreneur, so it's nickels and dimes right now. Still, I thought I'd share what I'm doing.

https://www.mysurvey.com
Yeah, it's one of those places where you spend 15-45 minutes filling out a survey and getting points that equal .05 to $1.50. In other words, the hourly "pay" is just short of robbery--but sometimes it's a fun brain-dead way to pass a night of insomnia and give my opinion about products I use. In 2010 I got enough points for a $60 in Amazon gift cards. Last year, they added an option to get the money via Paypal. It's taken me 13 months, but I've got almost enough points for $50.

I'm clearing out my craft room. I don't have a lot to part with, but I'm glad to be clearing out a little room. A few things are Pay It Foward items I'm sending to other SCS members. A few more were too costly to mail out without getting some sort of reimbursement, so I've put them on eBay. Payments will go into my Paypal account and anything I get over the cost of postage will be used for crafts.

When I go to the store, I drop my change (not bills) into my purse. Every once in awhile, I take that change and put it in my "Fun Money" jar. If I'm feeling really generous, I might drop in a $1 bill or two. This month, when I gave myself a $25 craft budget, I dropped $25 into the jar. Anything I don't use this month will help fund future month budgets.

For this challenge, I'm NOT thinking of these funds as free money. The funds above will be used to help pay for my monthly craft budgets.

BTW ... It's Jan. 22! We've gone past the three week mark and my RECEIPT box is still empty.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #232
Proud Fan Club Member

[QUOTE=melissa59;19111261
BTW ... It's Jan. 22! We've gone past the three week mark and my RECEIPT box is still empty. [/QUOTE]

SCS BRAK Volunteer
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #233
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking YAY!

Quote:
BTW ... It's Jan. 22! We've gone past the three week mark and my RECEIPT box is still empty.
Woohoo! It was a good month for stampin'/scrappin' too! I love the increased awareness of impulse spending. It's all good!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #234
Compulsive Stamper

Jan 23rd- and I haven't spent a crafting dime this month! I've enjoyed reading everyone's ideas, especially about the cards for the nursing homes, etc. Love the idea of doing something you enjoy, that will bring a smile to someone's face as well. Double smiles- like a 2 for 1 ! MIL is in a nursing home, across the country, so maybe a call there is a place I can start with that idea. Thank you for the inspiration.

I live in a small town where we only have a Michael's. No LSS, no Archivers, No Joann's, etc. So resisting the shopping for me consists mostly of deleting those lovely SALE SALE SALE emails. I do make a long weekend shopping trip a couple of times a year out of town and do my craft shopping then as well- since this year is all about using my stash, and getting rid of clutter- it will be a well planned out list before I do go, which won't be for several months.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #235
Polyshrink Goddess

I attended an all day crop on Saturday, and spent a total of $47. But, most of it I feel I can justify:

$15 for tickets to win doorprizes - since this crop was a fundraiser for Breast Cancer Research, I consider this to be more of a charitable donation than a crafting purchase.

$12.50 for replacement blades for my 12" trimmer - since the trimmer style I use is discontinued, and the blades are only available while supplies last, I knew I better get them now while I still can. I love my trimmer! I have had several others in the past, including a rotary one from the same company that I hate, and am really dreading the thought of finding a new one when my blades finally run out.

$8.50 for adhesive - ran out, and didn't have any more. I consider adhesives a necessity.

$11 for a pack of designer papers. This is the one purchase that I can't justify completely, although $2 of this purchase will go toward the Make a Wish Foundation. Did I need it? Nope. Did I want it? Absolutely. It is beautiful!

The organizers told a story of a young 26 year old woman who has been diagnosed with terminal stage ovarian cancer, and has been given approx. 6 months. She has two young children. She is not a scrapbooker, so the organizers (some of whom are survivors) are going to make scrapbooks for her to just add her journalling, so that her children will have her memories when she is gone. They were asking for donations for all supplies to make them. I went home that night, went through my entire stash of papers, and am donating a stack of paper (about 50 sheets) to their cause. This helps to ease my guilty conscience just a bit for purchasing the paper needlessly.

Hope everyone is having success with their goals!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #236
Stampin' Fool

Elizabeth, the important thing is that you are aware of how much you are spending and on what. Don't forget to put your receipt in your box. If you didn't get a receipt, you might want to write it on a piece of paper. That way, at the end of the year you'll have something to tally.

Overall, it sounds like you did pretty well. Blades and adhesive are not frivolous purchases--at least I don't consider them to be frivolous. And $11 for a paper pack isn't bad, so long as it's something you'll use.

I think it's a great that you are donating supplies. Purging is so much easier when you know something is going to a good cause or to someone that could really use an item.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #237
Die Cut Diva

Elizabeth the goal of these threads are NOT to make anyone feel guilty, but rather to encourage thoughtful purchases.
Few if any people will be satisfied only buying adhesives, glue or cutting blades all year.

However, with all the new things introduced or the great cards we see others make it is too easy to buy things on a whim that are used once or never used .

I think the goal is that at the end of this year we will have only purchased stamps, paper, etc that we really used . And that we kept within our budgets.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #238
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I should clarify my "guilt". I had made a promise to myself to not buy anymore designer paper unless it was for a specific project, and I didn't have anything that could be substituted - I have way too much as it is, and I need to use what I have. This paper pack did not fit that criteria - I bought it because it was shiny and sparkly, in my favourite colour combo, and neat shapes. Basically, I bought it on a whim without putting real thought into why I was buying it. No idea for what or when I am going to use it - hence the guilt.

However, I only spent $11, when it could have been so much worse......

On to February!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #239
Die Cut Diva

Elizabeth you can solve the guilt problem and make a card "this week" with the new paper Then it qualifies as a good purchase
Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #240
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Stamper View Post
Zella, the traveling stash box will be mailed your way tomorrow I have just finished packing it. Enjoy the goodies!
It arrived - it arrived!!! And wow - neat goodies!

Ok, so now who gets it???