Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #121
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa59 View Post
I finished my receipt box. I did sort of a steampunk thing, finally using some clockworks that I bought last year. It's a worn photo box, covered with DCWV Old World paper and stamped. I put a slot in the side where I can slip in the receipts and attached the parts to make a weight and pulley mechanism that keeps the box lid from opening. Silly, I know. But it was fun to build.
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/...p/receipts.jpg
This looks amazing, Melissa!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #122
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Melissa, your box looks great!
I've done the same thing with paper and fabric; saving the prettiest for something special. Feels good to use some of it! Feels good to be using my supplies also. Been making cards for a local charity; nothing great and takes me a while to get things done, but feels awesome putting ink on some of my stamps for the first time!
Anyway, just wanted to tell you how great your box looks! Looks like you worked hard on it; that is neat how you engineered the parts you put on the box!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #123
Glitter Queen

Hi everyone,

Melissa I like your receipt box it looks awesome.

Well all the stores I've signed up to via email are trying to test my i will not spend willpower but so far have resisted. May it long continue lol. One of the stores has the Graphic 45 Christmas pad which I must say i've fallen in love with but have so much Christmas 12x12 that i am just going to use that up first. I keep going back and looking at it though.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #124
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmn View Post
January Challenge

Don't forget our January Challenge & Question of the Month

* the challenge is to designate a spot to put all craft spending receipts for 2012. That way, at the end of the year we can assess if we use our craft $$ wisely or impulse spending gets the best of us *

* the question is just to encourage discussion on awareness for all of us to think about what motivates us to spend *
Well, I have met the first part of the challenge, and taken it a bit further. I have a spot for all my receipts, but not just my crafting receipts. My husband and I are putting in every single receipt that we spend for the months of January, February & March. They are in an accordian folder, divided by category (food, clothing, household, gas, entertainment, miscellaneous and other) - if a receipt has multiple categories, then it goes into miscellaneous. Once we have the first months worth, I will put it all into a spreadsheet to determine our spending. The purpose of this is to help us determine and set up a budget to follow. But we didn't just want to use January as a measure of our budget, as we may have more or less expenses. We wanted to use a three month window, essentially a quarter, to give us more of an average of spending, which will enable us to be more realistic in setting a budget. Of course, the first thing that happens is my stove breaks and I have to purchase a new one - ugh!

As for the question of the month, that is harder. Sometimes it is out of necessity (adhesives, items for particular projects, etc), but for me I think I spend on crafting out of boredom - of my current supplies/stash, new shiny things are out there, I'm in a rut and need some inspiration, retail therapy - lots of different reasons. I guess I have to find new outlets to alleviate that boredom.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #125
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Melissa - your box is AMAZING!!!! Very cool!

Ah, so success! I didn't go to Pat Catans this weekend! LOL!!

So what causes me to buy things that I don't use and won't ever use....I think part of it is just envy and greed for me. Eww - those are such ugly words...but it's the truth for me. I hear all the neat things that everyone has and think "I want that" and "I have to have that"....and then often I wind up getting something that I don't even use. I have to admit that getting involved in card swaps has really helped this though...because it has really helped me find what is more my style. I've discovered that I'm not one who likes a ton of things on the cards I make.....I'm more simple. Now don't get me wrong - I think the cards with tons of embellishments or stuff - wow, they are beautiful! But they are so not me. And I'm not overly creative either so I tend to stick to more basic things. I've discovered that I really like coloring in pencils instead of markers. I know Copics are all the rage...but I still prefer pencils. Odd huh?

I've also learned that buying those big stacks of dsp are often a waste for me. I really need to look at it and see if I will use what is there. I mean if there is just one or two sheets of something that isn't my style that's fine...but when half the stack is something I will never use - well, what's the point.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #126
Pearl-ExPert

ATTN: Traveling stash box.
Tricia suggested we start a traveling stash box full of crafty supplies we don't need any longer, but someone else might find useful. I just got it in the mail today and it'll be ready to go to the next person interested on this thread. You'll have to take what you like and replace it with other goodies. Who would like to be next?

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Old 01-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #127
Matboard Maniac

Melissa, your receipt box is so cute!! Very fun

Well, I made it to the store...bought one ink pad and four coloring pencils. I know I said only inks and only 15 dollars...coloring pencils aren't that far off and I only spent 10 bucks! So I have 5 to the good...LOL! So now that I have ink, I can start on my receipt book. Oh yeah, I'm only spending cash as well during this challenge.

Hmmmm...this is the first I've read of a traveling stash box. What a fun idea!

(maybe I didn't read all the post after all...)

I'm only buying for current projects. I use to have to have soooooo much stuff, just in case extras of that fab paper...ugh. About a year before my divorce I finally broke that...what a relief lol! Although Im starting over the beauty in it is I know my style. So I may see lots of things I think are pretty, cute etc...I dont buy because I know I won't use it.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #128
Stazon Splitcoast

Melissa - I love your recipt box.

Elizabeth - I also love your idea of keeping track of all spending for 3 months before making a true budget. I keep ALL receipts at my house too for tax purposes. I try to remember to write on them what is deductable and for what reason when I put them in my basket. Yes, I have a recipt basket not a box and no, it's not really decorated.

Zella - We're a lot alike, I have purchased some things thinking I HAVE TO HAVE THEM because others do. Then I find I'm not as crazy about them as I though I'd be. And like you, I do not necessary do well with the ds pads, but I do find that when JoAnn's has their 6/.96 I just go crazy. Lately, though I've tried to buy solid colors I know I'll use or ones for swaps (which works as long as I remember where I put them).

I like the idea of the traveling box as well. I just need to be way down on the receiving list because my craft cave looks like a craft genie vomited in there - there's stuff everywhere and nothing is organized at all. Right now I can't find paper I KNOW I used 2 months ago. ARG!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #129
Die Cut Diva

I don't plan to stop buying anything for my hobby . I just want more balance in my financial life
My motivation last year for buying was because the prices of some things were increasing or products were being discontinued, I felt I had to get them before I could not . So I readjusted my household budget to buy them.

I am working on that this year. If the price becomes too high for me to justify or I can no longer get a product then I will live with that. I am not going to readjust my household or personal budget for other things I want or need just to satisfy my shortage mentality in regards to crafts.

I had developed a " shortage mentality" Get it now or it will be gone or priced out of reach. Buy it on sale because I don't want to pay full price " IF or when " I need it .
Well I must remind myself that a lot of things were gone before I started this and I have not suffered. I am reminding myself that an item bought on sale and "not used" cost a lot more than if I had paid full price if/when I needed it.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 01-09-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #130
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Thanks for the nice comments on my receipt box, ladies. It pushed me out of my comfort zone as it is different than anything I've done. It was also a lot of fun.

I don't recall anything about a traveling box, either. It sounds interesting but I won't be taking part. I don't want to spend money on shipping costs right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
My motivation last year for buying was because the prices of some things were increasing or products were being discontinued, I felt I had to get them before I could not .
I am guilty of this, too. To be honest, I have no regrets about my big Copics purchase last summer and I'm thankful that my boys bought me a few more for Christmas before the Jan. 1 increase. But I vow not to let clearances and price increases dictate my future spending.

I'm really glad we have this thread. I think checking in with each other will help motivate us to stay on track.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #131

OOO - I love the idea of a travelling stash box.....put me on the list!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #132
Mad Swapper

I broke down yesterday and bought the few items that did not come with my last order, I got tired of waiting to hear back from them. It only came to $40 and that is with exchange/shipping and there shouldn't be any duty as the cost is under $75. I would love to do the travelling stash box, but being in Canada it would cost way to much to have it shipped or for me to send it to someone in the States, maybe if there is enough of us Canadians on this thread we could start one here in Canada?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #133
Gabfest Goddess

I like the idea of a traveling craft box but I too don't want to get involved in paying postage right now! It amazes me how much the post office is charging! I guess they have to make up for all of the income they are losing because of email and internet bill pay!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #134
Glitter Guru

Postage is high, isn't it? Although I'm constantly amazed that I cringe at paying $7 postage if I order something, but it doesn't phase me to "run to town" (1/2 hour away) to pick up one or two things - which costs me $6 for a round trip with the price of gas. I think it's because you don't see the money disappear when you use gas that's already in your tank, but you pay the shipping extra.

And don't worry if you didn't hear about the box til now. It's just something I sent along to Siberian Stamper and mentioned she might want to keep it going if anyone was interested. No one is losing their mind!

On another fun note, I won a gift certificate from My Favorite Things stamps yesterday, so I could get a stamp set if I wanted to - even though I've spent my budget for the month. We'll see when their new release comes out!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #135
Stazon Splitcoast

JCI..I am just checking in here. I have done very well so far w/my no spend committment for January.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #136
Stampin' Fool

Tricia, I sure wouldn't count a gift certificate I won as part of my budget--unless you buy more than the gift certificate is worth.

Dell, hooray for sticking to your no-spend commitment so far! Woo-hoo!!

While I've not been tempted to do any actual spending, I do find myself agonizing over what I will spend my money on once I give myself the go-ahead. I want to buy a couple of die, but I also want to make a punch organizer. But which one is a greater priority? I guess I need to keep crafting and organizing so I can figure it out. And I tend to do little of both, especially in comparison to how much time I spend posting on this site!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #137
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up Traveling Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Stamper View Post
ATTN: Traveling stash box.
Tricia suggested we start a traveling stash box full of crafty supplies we don't need any longer, but someone else might find useful. I just got it in the mail today and it'll be ready to go to the next person interested on this thread. You'll have to take what you like and replace it with other goodies. Who would like to be next?
Oh FUN! I will list this on Post #3 as you add people that would like to participate. When you're ready to send person on the list, PM them and ask for their address.

Also, we did this on the Scrap Thread last year and people added SO much to the box it grew to a "Bankers" Box and I paid over $40 for shipping...let's all agree to keep the stash in the box we're passing around to same box? I would suggest we use a USPS Flat Rate Box so we could post what the postage will be for those deciding to participate?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #138
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Oh FUN! I will list this on Post #3 as you add people that would like to participate. When you're ready to send person on the list, PM them and ask for their address.

Also, we did this on the Scrap Thread last year and people added SO much to the box it grew to a "Bankers" Box and I paid over $40 for shipping...let's all agree to keep the stash in the box we're passing around to same box? I would suggest we use a USPS Flat Rate Box so we could post what the postage will be for those deciding to participate?
That's a good idea. I started it just as a flat rate envelope, but that might be too small. A medium flat rate box fits a lot and it currently costs $10.95 to mail. Shipping is going up at the end of the month though... not sure how much, but I'd figure $11.50 to be safe.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #139
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Day #10

Well...how's everyone doing? Today I had a few minutes when I normally would have "run into the store" to browse and I decided to just avoid it all together. It was a good feeling to have it not be that big of a decision to bypass ... I've been thinking alot about "Impulse Buying Motivators" for me and I do think it's boredom for me that's the worst time...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #140
Gabfest Goddess

Good evening ladies! Just working on a 2 page Thanksgiving Layout 2009. In order to better use my stash I'm going to scrapbook a little differently for a while. I found 2 pieces of designer paper first and then found pictures I thought would go nicely with the dp. The paper is anything but traditional Thanksgiving but neither are my pictures. I didn't take a picture of the dinner table so basically my pictures just are of people sitting around in the living room.

I did buy some more adhesive BUT I'm ok with that. Adhesive is a necessity and is expendable. Is expendable the word I want? Don't think so but not sure....
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #141
Pearl-ExPert

Good morning, ladies!
I've been doing well with not spending. To avoid the extra cash in my hands calling my name I'm adding it to my bills, cutting them down for the next month I did that with my electric bill last month and was pleasantly surprised with the amount due this time around
Zella, would you like to be next to receive the box, then? Let me know and I can mail it out to you soon!

Last edited by Siberian Stamper; 01-11-2012 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: ...added info...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #142
Gabfest Goddess

I averted some impulse shopping today. I ran to Target to pick up a few things and when I left I got the urge to run to Michaels to see if they had any dp suitable for some 4th of July pages that I want to do and I resisted - I steered my car on home instead. I can do those pages on cardstock/dp that isn't traditional patriotic paper. In 20 years who will know the BBQ was on the 4th? Might just have been on any old summer day.....
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #143

Hi Anna! I'd love the box next!!! I'll PM you my addy. Thanks!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #144
Gabfest Goddess

I kind of had a slip today! I made a paper purse the other day and I think I want to have my card club ladies make one as one of their projects next month and I thought it would be a little more "professional" if their purses closed so I picked up some velcro today - I slipped to the tune of $2.65. Guess I can live with that! I did not purchase the velcro at a craft store so...........
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #145
Compulsive Stamper

Well, we are 1/3 through the month and I have RESISTED all temptation to buy crafting supplies. i've made it by a tiny Joann's in the next town, and even avoided shopping while at our local Michael's taking a beginning Cricut class. Through away the Joann's flyer without reading it, and I've been deleting the emails about SALES as they hit my inbox. It's not easy, but I'm doing it. I will be spending $10 to sign up for a Valentine card class- I'm afraid it will fill up if I wait. I don't know what 1/2 the stuff is you all talk about in your posts, but since I'm trying to not spend this month, and just use what I have, that might be a good thing!
As for the receipts- If there are any, they will be scanned. Don't want to be holding onto paper.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #146
Matboard Maniac

JCI...haven't spent anything else!

keep up the good work ladies! Be back tomorrow...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #147
Stampin' Fool

Wow! Everyone is doing so great! I had a test yesterday, and I kept it below my budget. My ultimate goal was to spend nada, but my friends and I went to a store that we visit about twice a year, which is a real treat, because we have no crafting stores nearby. I did keep it below twentyfive though, which was my actual goal. I spent about eighteen on crafting stuff; the other ten was on pet, household stuff etc... Zero would have been better, but hey, it's a lot better than I've done in the past. I put lots of stuff back. I'm glad I'm not going crazy on the craft spending though, as it is helping me in other areas. I had decided to try to get stronger and lose weight (per doctor's advice also), so I got a wii at a pawn shop the other day. Going to try one of the dance games; I've heard good things about them being fun and a good workout. I think my health is a priority over my crafting. (Although, crafting is my therapy! lol.) I am also working on some cards for a charity, so I did pick up some reduced Christmas cards at Dollar Gen.. They were 75 percent off, so I got 32 enelopes for less than a dollar. I bought two boxes; going to keep the ones I like to give the ones who don't care anything about homemade cards, and using the rest of the envelopes for cardmaking. It's a good thing I got them mostly for crafting though; someone had rifled through the box, and swapped out most of the pretty cards in one box, and a few of the cards were damaged. Fortunately, the envelopes were fine,and I still got plenty of cards to mail out. I like repurposing and recycling, so they'll get used one way or another. I can even use the blank sides of the cards to stamp images to color and cut out.
Russ, I like using colored pencils also, along with some other coloring techniques. I haven't gotten into the copic thing either. I have a small room to craft in, and not enough room or $ to buy them. I'm not the most artistic either, so not sure I would do well with them anyway. I'm satisfied with the coloring mediums I have.
I'm enjoying this thread! Love having a place to go for support and sharing! Please overlook my long posts; I'm a chatty girl!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #148
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoptownracer1 View Post
I did keep it below twentyfive though, which was my actual goal. I spent about eighteen on crafting stuff; the other ten was on pet, household stuff etc... Zero would have been better, but hey, it's a lot better than I've done in the past. I put lots of stuff back.
I'm not counting pet food, laundry detergent or any grocery items in my craft budget. For me, it's all craft items, craft storage and other craft-related stuff.

Curious, when you put things back, were you thinking about this challenge? I find that having a challenge, having someone to check in with, helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

Quote:
I had decided to try to get stronger and lose weight (per doctor's advice also), so I got a wii at a pawn shop the other day. Going to try one of the dance games; I've heard good things about them being fun and a good workout. I think my health is a priority over my crafting.
I too am quite overweight. Worse, I'm just plain out of shape. Being out of work for two years hasn't helped. My stamina got even worse after I had surgery last year. I still get fatigued and I get winded so much quicker than I did before the surgery--and it wasn't all that good before. I really need to get on my treadmill (just to walk, not run) but I don't think about it until late at night.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #149
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Question of the Month

-- What pushes you or When are you most likely to impulse buy?

January Challenge

-- Design & Create or Find a "Receipt" Keeper. This can be a decorated envelope, folder, box or ??? to keep your 2012 Craft Spending Receipts
I'd love to play along. I just committed to the next 6 months for an SU stamp club and have a commitment to buy $25-$30 per month, but I'd like to keep my total craft spending under $50-$60, and save an amount equal to what I spend. I'd like to spend less, but this will be a big improvement to start with. My goal is also to make and send out 20-25 cards a month, some to family and friends, and some for some nursing homes I've contacted. There are a lot of occasions and holidays I don't have stamps for, so I'm planning for those.

I'm most likely to impulse buy when I just go to Archiver's or the LSS to "see what's new". I plan to limit myself to items I really need for specific cards, and don't have a good substitute available.

I'm already keeping track of my spending with Quicken. I don't want to admit what I spent last year, although it did include my craft room furniture.

Free cat hair with every card!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #150

I confess that I'm more than "quite overweight"....and have not only committed to getting my finances in order this year - but also to work on this weight and being so out of shape thing too. Yes, for me it's all finances. But the good thing is that we were asked to handle the refreshments for the "Financial Peace University" class at church that starts in a couple weeks. We went through the class before and got so much out of it! It really helped us to get on track. But after a while I've noticed that we have gotten slack on things...ok - confession again - I have gotten slack on things (cause I'm the one who handles the finances in our home). But God is good and continues to provide for our needs. I'm excited to get back to that class and grounded back in those principles again. We've been paying off debt and not incurring additional debt since taking the class the first time. I need to just be more disciplined with the budget....and crafting falls into that which is why this group is good for me.

We also bought a Wii last year. Last January I started Weight Watchers with the goal of losing 50 pounds by my birthday (which was in April). And I did it!! But on my birthday I gave in to the cake I wanted and then kept saying that I was going right back on WW...but never did. Since then I've gained probably 25 of it back. I know 50 sounds like a ton of weight - and don't get me wrong, I was very pleased....but it's only a drop in the bucket of what I need to lose. So back on the wagon for me....and going to use the Wii too! And the treadmill that a friend gave me. Going to get control of my body!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #151
Matboard Maniac

I also think being accountable to others helps me stay on track! When browsing online (only been to the store once) I keep reminding myself of my commitment to this challenge group and how this will benefit me in the long run!

In regards to excercise...I don't need to lose weight BUT I really do need to excercise. I have a mild case of Osteoarthritis in my knee. I have noticed when I walk regularly my knee does really well and hardly bothers me. I also feel SOOO much better. hmmmmm....maybe I need an accountability partner for this too!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #152
Compulsive Stamper

Besides the budget busting this year, I too need to do some butt busting ( as in losing weight) so I told myself- no TV watching until I've exercised. Period. So far, so good. Got 2 Thank you cards done last night.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #153
Die Cut Diva

I need to exercise more regularly too! I have Osteoporosis and my doctor would like me to exercise more often than " just when I get around to it "

I rarely watch TV . I don't even have Cable, but I could say I won't turn on the computer until I have done my exercises

I certainly don't need to lose weight at 103.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #154
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I rarely watch TV . I don't even have Cable, but I could say I won't turn on the computer until I have done my exercises
No cable in our home, which means no regular TV. But I do love watching Netflix on the 22" computer screen my boys got me for Christmas in 2010. I probably should make myself a no computer before exercise rule, too. If I stick a note on the computer, at least it will remind me to get on the treadmill.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #155
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Chelle View Post
I also think being accountable to others helps me stay on track! When browsing online (only been to the store once) I keep reminding myself of my commitment to this challenge group and how this will benefit me in the long run!
Me too! I've been crafting away and don't seem to have missed anything! I was kind of bumming about not having some new paper for scrapping picts of my new niece and went digging in my stash only to uncover an UNOPENED SU! Simply Scrappin' Kit for Baby Girl. Now...why I have this or when I got it...unknown but "new paper" wish granted .... $0 spent!

I encourage you to "SHOP" your stash and see what you can come up with to fit the urge/impulse for crafty items ...
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #156
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Question well

Quote:

Curious, when you put things back, were you thinking about this challenge? I find that having a challenge, having someone to check in with, helps keep me on the straight and narrow.
It seems that many of us also need a thread for healthy accountability. We have a Thread (S.C.S) Sexy Cardio Scrappers found in the User Groups - Stamp Out Fat forum I can "dust off" if we have enough interest and we can discuss our healthy lifestyle change goals there? It hasn't been active since 2010.

*You will have to request access so let me know if you're interested? Go to the right side of your screen, click "Join A Group"

We could rename it to S.C.S (Sexy Cardio Stampers)

Last edited by Lmn; 01-12-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #157
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
No cable in our home, which means no regular TV. But I do love watching Netflix on the 22" computer screen my boys got me for Christmas in 2010. I probably should make myself a no computer before exercise rule, too. If I stick a note on the computer, at least it will remind me to get on the treadmill.
I have a converter box to see regular TV. My reception is perfect. I would not miss a football game. I even watch College football LOL Ocassionally I watch a program like Jay Leno or CSI
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #158
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Yes, Lela, I would love to have a challenge here to help us encourage each other with exercising and getting healthier! Thank you so much for suggesting that; I hope there's enough interest here!

Quote:
I'm not counting pet food, laundry detergent or any grocery items in my craft budget. For me, it's all craft items, craft storage and other craft-related stuff.
I too am quite overweight. Worse, I'm just plain out of shape. Being out of work for two years hasn't helped. My stamina got even worse after I had surgery last year. I still get fatigued and I get winded so much quicker than I did before the surgery--and it wasn't all that good before. I really need to get on my treadmill (just to walk, not run) but I don't think about it until late at night.
Yes, this challenge helped me keep the $ under control. I always put a few things back, but not this many, so it definately helped. I told another friend about this challenge, so she reminded me about my limit. It feels good to have a little control, so hopefully in time, it'll be second nature, and I'll just pick up things that are "needs". It also helps to learn I can leave something behind and be fine. It won't be the last of it's kind. I know one of you mentioned that in your thread, and I immediately knew that feeling. I think that one is going to take a little practice.
I'm sorry you're having health issues also. I have Meniere's Disease and Neurocardiogenic syncope, so I am dizzy all the time, plus have fatigue, balance problems, vertigo, nausea and other symptoms; not able to work or drive. I'm sorry to hear you had to have surgery, and that it made things harder for you. I tend to be a night owl, so I need to start getting to bed earlier, make a list of things I need to do each day and take better care of myself overall. I hope we can all support each other and cheer each other on.
Russnzella, that is amazing that you lost weight. That is awesome! I'm thinking about getting the Abba wii game. A friend said her daughter rented it,and it's a little easier than the JustDance2; although I want that one too. I need one I can do on days I'm not feeling as well. On the bad days, I just have to hang it up. I've always heard good things about Weight Watchers.
Amazing how many of us are having the same issues. Does it seem that if there is disorder in one part of one's life, that there is disorder in other areas also? That's how it seems with me. Out of control! I have to take things slow though; I'm an obsessive type person, and I tend to go gungho and then burnout; all or nothing. I am going to have to learn to just "chill" and pace myself.
Thanks for this challenge!!! It is helping already. Hope we get a SCS too!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #159
Stampin' Fool

Heart

Reread your post! It's Stamp Out Fat group. Going to try joining. Thank you so much again!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #160
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I tend to go gungho and then burnout; all or nothing.
I'm an all or nothing type person, too. It's terrible. Someone once told me that it's a sign of a perfectionist. I said, "No. I'm not a perfectionist. I can't do anything perfect." And he said, "That, too, is a sign of a perfectionist." In other words, we want things to be just right. We give it our all and when it doesn't work out "perfectly" we give up. Yep, that's me. The perfectionist who is never perfect.

I'm going to look for the health thread. I really need the moral support. I was going to join the Move More, Eat Well scrapbook challenge on Big Picture Scrapbooking, but didn't want to take photos of myself, didn't want to buy the supplies, and didn't want to spend the $36. When it comes right down to it, I don't think I wanted to "diet". I still don't. I want to move more. Instead of eating "well", I want to eat better and in moderation.