Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #401
Mad Swapper

What a great way to get everyone responding Melissa59. I bought a couple of things the last couple of months, even though I said I wasn't going to. The one thing that I got and love is my pastel pencils from Faber-Castell. I bought them because I loved the Wednesday technique here on SCS a few weeks ago and I love how it was done so I found a set of 60 pastel pencils on eBay for a really good price. I have stamped and embossed several pieces of black cardstock pieces that were to small to use as card bases but to big to throw out and I did color some with my H2O's but when I seen the pastel pencil technique I loved it and I used the couple of pastel pencils that I had on hand but I needed more in order to play with more color. The other couple of things that I have bought were stamps, which I did use with the black cardstock and some bling.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #402
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Oooh, I just went to take a peek at the pastel pencil on black cardstock. What a fabulous technique! And so much cheaper than the Copic plunge I took last year.

My purchases so far have been kind of boring. They've been mostly organizational. I bought Ribbon Ring tags and now have all my ribbon nicely organized. I got an A Muse Studio ink just to give it a try. And I have a friend picking up the Ikea Bygel rails this weekend for my punches. The only other organizational item I want is a case for my Copics, but that can wait awhile longer.

I think my April purchase is going to be something fun, like a die and maybe an embossing folder.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #403
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking March Is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmn View Post
March Question of the Month
--- What Organizational Tip or Idea has worked the best for you to help you use stash you have?

March Challenge

--- Color It Get out those markers, pencils or misters and color your image or cardstock with something other than just stamping ink.
Sorry our Question and Challenge are a couple days late, I was traveling for work. It was very scary travel yesterday with all the storms and tornados and it put schedules way behind ....
Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #404
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking Who's Next?

Shared Stash Box -- Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmn View Post
I am delighted to find a new purple glitter pen, cute 4th of July stickers and some vellum phrases for some scrap pages ... but the box is full of stamps, inks, punches, pens, papers, trims/lace, stencils, stamped images ... etc ....

Who is next? If you're feeling a little withdrawal from something new to play with ... just let me know and the box will be on the way!
If any of you are having twinges of desire for something new since we're all trying to keep spending to a reduced amount just PM me your address and the STASH BOX of GOODIES will be on the way to you! It's STUFFED with all sorts of fun stuff so if you'd like some "new-to-you" items just let me know !
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #405
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had a very busy, crafty weekend. I spent all day Friday cleaning up my very messy crafting space. This is also my answer to the March question. When I can't find it or get to it, I don't use it. When I have everything in its designated place instead of piled on the desk and floor, not only can I find stuff, but I have much more crafting motivation and creativity!

I made 12 cards this weekend. One I made Saturday used a die I've had for a little while but had never used before. Two (the same) were cased from Papercrafts magazine using a punch I got a little while ago to do this card, but hadn't gotten around to using yet. I made 8 cards today that were cased from a class I did last summer at my LSS. I bought all the supplies back then, but had never made the cards. AND I put all my stuff back where it belongs when I was done! I'm feeling very pleased with myself at the moment!

I haven't cut my spending a tremendous amount since this thread started, but I have cut down some and plan to cut down even more. I have put a great deal more thought into what I've purchased, and have been using a lot more of the stuff I already have.

Thanks for all the support in this thread!

Free cat hair with every card!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #406
Glitter Queen

I have been so good this past month bought one stamp set for 9.98 have been shopping from my shelves. Needed to make cards and pins for a swap and that went out last week in the mail. I am going for gallbladder surgery April 5th so need to take it easy card making relaxes me and keeps my mind occupied and busy.
CA
Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #407
Stampin' Fool

What Organizational Tip or Idea has worked the best for you to help you use stash you have?

I'm like Dianne. If I can't see it or get to it, I don't use it. Unfortunately, I can't keep everything on my craft table. So, I'm working very s..l..o..w..l..y to find "A Place for Everything" and then I hope to "Keep Everything in its Place." This means getting rid of some of some stuff and moving other non-crafting item out of the room.

I don't have enough room to have work stations like some people have. Instead, I'm trying to have storage stations. My cutting tools go in one area of my craft room. My adhesives in another. My embellishments are sorted by color and stored on a shelf in my bookcase, my paints and embossing powders on another, my stickles, colored pencils and Copic markers on yet another.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #408
Matboard Maniac

Is it too late to join this challenge for the remainder of 2012?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #409
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizBeth1976 View Post
Is it too late to join this challenge for the remainder of 2012?
No way! Never too late!!
But you might want to go back to January and make a receipt box ... or just grab a box and write "receipts" on it.

I'm tracking every purchase. If I don't have a receipt, I write a note telling me what I bought, the date I bought it and how much I spent. At the end of the year I'll total everything up and decide if I deserve a nice end of the year spending spree or if I need to work harder on my 2013 challenge.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #410
Matboard Maniac

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa59 View Post
No way! Never too late!!
But you might want to go back to January and make a receipt box ... or just grab a box and write "receipts" on it.

I'm tracking every purchase. If I don't have a receipt, I write a note telling me what I bought, the date I bought it and how much I spent. At the end of the year I'll total everything up and decide if I deserve a nice end of the year spending spree or if I need to work harder on my 2013 challenge.
Thank you!! I think this is just what I need...I have WAAYYYYY too much stuff, and need to stop buying and use what I have. And I'm hoping this forum will 'Keep me honest'!

I suppose I should go back to January & hunt down all my receipts...oh dear....and today I just got my latest order from my SU! demo! I promise it'll be the last one for awhile. Really. I do. Oh, & then there's the order that will be coming from my CTMH lady....

And I will make a receipt box or something to keep track!! Ooo, a project to work on right away, using my stash! I'm sure I have some tins or something around here...

Thank you for starting this forum!! And thanks for letting me be a part of it!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #411
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Hi LizBeth - it's never too late to start. I've been trying to use more of my stash lately too. I look around and it's just obscene how much stuff I have that I don't use. So no more shopping for me for a while. The only thing I will allow myself to buy at this point is adhesive and cardstock (ONLY if I run out - nothing until what I have is gone). No more dsp purchases, no more embellies, no more punches or dies or embossing folders....I have so much that rarely gets used now. Until I can use what I have - I won't buy more. Now for stamps....well, unless there is a mega sale that is too good to pass up or if I just don't have something in my stash then I will consider...but it's doubtful that I don't have something in my stash that would work. Mega sale is another store though...cause Clear Dollar Stamps is having a huge sale and I might have to buy a few (cause I'm addicted to their stamps and some of those on sale were on my wish list). But my wish lists are getting smaller too I've noticed. It's just so nice to not think I have to run to the store because I have a 40% off coupon to use. Yeah, I was one of those that did that....didn't need a single thing and would search the store TRYING to find something to buy with a coupon. How crazy is that? LOL!!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #412
Matboard Maniac

Hi Zella! I hear you! I just hate to let those Michael's coupons go to waste, especially after I've printed them off with MY ink..lol! My other downfall is peachycheap.com...I should just remove the link from my "Favorites", and forget what their URL is....that is such an impulsive way to shop--because it's only one deal a day...like it's never going to be on sale again!

I am going to do my best to limit my craft spending to just adhesives for the rest of this month, and then the next three months. After all, I can still use that 40% off coupon on refills for my ATG! I have SOOO much cardstock & other paper that if I live to be 100, and am still making cards, I'll have paper left over after I go to that great craft room in the sky (I hope!). LOL!!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #413
Stampin' Fool

I spent $2 at Micheals today. But I'm blaming it on Barbara Jay. You see, she twisted my arm behind my back and held me face down on my desk until I promised to buy a calligraphy pen!

OK. Maybe I'm exaggerating just a teeny bit. But it's still Barbara's fault. She left a post about getting back into calligraphy and then I wanted to do it, too.

I will go the traditional route with the ink, nibs and nib holder in a couple of months. For now, I just wanted something simple (and cheap) to play with. I got the 2.0 (fine) Speedball "Elegant Writer" (ie: felt tip calligraphy marker) for $3.49 minus a 40% coupon. I'm sure the cashier thought I was the cheapest person to go through her checkstand today. LOL
Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #414
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking LOL!

It feels REALLY GOOD to be savvy spenders, doesn't it?!

This weekend I went to a scrapbook crop. It was near my house so we slept at my house so the fee for the crop was all we incurred. My girlfriends and I all thought it worked out GREAT! It really made us feel better esp this morning when all the gals had their $190 hotel room bills for the last 2 days. YAY Us!

Also, believe it or not, I bought 1 paper pack $9. Now, I didn't really need it however I did feel it was important to buy something small from the demo since they really did do a nice job with lots of presentations, ideas, gifts & prizes, etc .... I picked the paper pack, went immediately to my table and scrapped 3 pages to use it all up. That way it didn't go in my stash and I felt better about at least getting something. I do have to admit that my friends all kept asking me if I was feeling ok, LOL! Even yesterday when we went to Archivers they all had purchases and me ... while I brought coupons for everyone, I bought $0

I look at my Crafting Spend Account for this year and I'm VERY pleased I've been able to make better choices and avoid impulse spending. It has fueled my creativity immensely as I'm already half way to my scrap goal for this year and it's not even the end of March. It's also helped me realize I do have "willpower" which I used to tell everyone I had none.

Keep the Faith Ladies! Conscientious spending helps all of us!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #415
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I spent $2 at Michael's today. But I'm blaming it on Barbara Jay. You see, she twisted my arm behind my back and held me face down on my desk until I promised to buy a calligraphy pen!

OK. Maybe I'm exaggerating just a teeny bit. But it's still Barbara's fault. She left a post about getting back into calligraphy and then I wanted to do it, too.

I will go the traditional route with the ink, nibs and nib holder in a couple of months. For now, I just wanted something simple (and cheap) to play with. I got the 2.0 (fine) Speedball "Elegant Writer" (ie: felt tip calligraphy marker) for $3.49 minus a 40% coupon. I'm sure the cashier thought I was the cheapest person to go through her check stand today. LOL

Now you need to go to the Library and "borrow" a couple of books on calligraphy instead of buying them yet.
After you have a chance to really look at and use the books you will probably find one you really want.

I always try to borrow a book to see if I really want it before I buy it. It saves a lot of money on books that were not the best.

Actually, I was the cheapest one in Michael's on Friday. I went to find Matte Accents and they didn't have it. I gave my coupon to another shopper and walked out with nothing. I since have learned it was discontinued.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #416
Matboard Maniac

Just checking in. I spent Friday night, and as much of Saturday as I could, doing some of the challenges in the VSN forum. But, I used what I had in my stash for the challenges I completed! And got some good ideas to use up even more things I have on hand. The only thing I found out that I needed (does this count??) was a NEW SD memory card for my camera*. So, I ran out to Walmart quick in the morning, and believe it or not, that's the ONLY thing I bought!! I didn't go anywhere near the Craft Dept..... Yay, me! (I'm usually a sucker for those 97 cent bins...lol)

*I don't use a USB cable...I take the memory card out & download the pic's into the 'puter from that. Works for me....
Old 03-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #417
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry I've been MIA, ladies! My plan for March is no spending on crafts at all. I should be able to accomplish that easily. Overtime kills the energy to create like nothing else, lol

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #418
Glitter Queen

So Sorry that it seems like forever since I have called in to Hi....

Life just seems to be zooming by right now and I just dont seem to be able to find enough hours in the day to get everything done that I really want too.....

Ok well as for Feb...did really well and didnt spend anything...

On to march....this month I did spend big but it was a huge deal on metal dies that I really needed to be able to use the machine that mum got me for Christmas..... It was $95 but it was for 20 sets so 110 individual dies....which in Australia that is just soooo both Mum and I couldnt say no and both ordered it.....

but that is all I am spending this month.....I am working on my daughters birthday party at the moment and I even convinced her that every invitation didnt have to the be the same so that I could use up papers that I had here instead of having to go and buy like 20 of the same page.....how sneaky is that......thank god she is easy going and just so excited to be having the party she didnt care!!!!!!

ok so on to march

Organisational tip.....

I cant have cupboards as such in my craft room...I have changed out all cupboards for shelves (bookcases).... this means that i can see everything and what is in boxes I have huge big labels on them so that I can still from my seat know what is there.....If I dont see it or the label to remind me what is there then I will never use it.....

As for the colouring challenge I have done 20 little girls this month for the invitations for my daughter so that one worked out well....I use water pencils and crayons for my colouring still as I really love these and dont see the point in spending money on the copics when it took me a while to master this and now that I have it down pat and have spent hundreds on my pencils and crayons I may as well use them up....

Thank you all for helping me keep my spending under control as I have really done well this year....I know it seems like I have spent heaps this month but it was nothing for me to spend that much every couple of weeks last year and that is why I am really loving this challenge......
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #419
Stampin' Fool

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well! Doing much better than I used to! Appreciate this challenge. It has been so helpful!
Have actually been using some of my stuff and getting a little done. I have limited space and money, so being very picky about what I will actually buy. Purchased a new cutter and glues, things that are necessary, but hardly any other stuff.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #420
Compulsive Stamper

I've bought a bit of cardstock and papers, but needed to replenish browns and greens. Working on a scrapbook right now that seems to be using a lot of those color.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #421
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post

Now you need to go to the Library and "borrow" a couple of books on calligraphy instead of buying them yet. After you have a chance to really look at and use the books you will probably find one you really want.
I've done a bit of "window shopping" on the Internet and my library carries one of the books I was interested in looking at, "Calligraphy Alphabets for Beginners" by Mary Noble, but it's recently checked out and not due back for awhile. I'll probably check out "The Calligraphy Book" by Peter Grislis early next week instead.

I thought about picking it up yesterday, but I've got commitments every day this week and I'm spending a long weekend with a few scrapbooking friends. I figured I'd be better off waiting so I didn't waste a week of check-out time with the book just sitting.

I will probably spend another $11-12 on photos tomorrow. Walgreens is having a buy 25 (at 19 cents each) and get 25 free on their 4x6 prints through March 17. I figure I'll get 50 4x6 photos, plus I want to get two 8x10 prints. I think that'll just about use up all of my March budget, but what extra I had leftover from January and February.

Good to hear that everyone else is doing pretty well on their budgets, too. Keep up the good work! Don't beat yourself up if you go over by 10% or so. But do remember to be extra nice to yourselves if you stay on budget for several month. If I do really well through May, I plan to give myself a double-helping in June, my birthday month.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #422
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec812 View Post
So Sorry that it seems like forever since I have called in to Hi....

Life just seems to be zooming by right now and I just dont seem to be able to find enough hours in the day to get everything done that I really want too.....

Ok well as for Feb...did really well and didnt spend anything...

On to march....this month I did spend big but it was a huge deal on metal dies that I really needed to be able to use the machine that mum got me for Christmas..... It was $95 but it was for 20 sets so 110 individual dies....which in Australia that is just soooo both Mum and I couldnt say no and both ordered it.....

but that is all I am spending this month.....I am working on my daughters birthday party at the moment and I even convinced her that every invitation didnt have to the be the same so that I could use up papers that I had here instead of having to go and buy like 20 of the same page.....how sneaky is that......thank god she is easy going and just so excited to be having the party she didnt care!!!!!!

ok so on to march

Organisational tip.....

I cant have cupboards as such in my craft room...I have changed out all cupboards for shelves (bookcases).... this means that i can see everything and what is in boxes I have huge big labels on them so that I can still from my seat know what is there.....If I dont see it or the label to remind me what is there then I will never use it.....

As for the colouring challenge I have done 20 little girls this month for the invitations for my daughter so that one worked out well....I use water pencils and crayons for my colouring still as I really love these and dont see the point in spending money on the copics when it took me a while to master this and now that I have it down pat and have spent hundreds on my pencils and crayons I may as well use them up....

Thank you all for helping me keep my spending under control as I have really done well this year....I know it seems like I have spent heaps this month but it was nothing for me to spend that much every couple of weeks last year and that is why I am really loving this challenge......
RE: your organizational tip: I'm the same way, if I don't see it, I don't use it! I took the closet doors off of the closet in my craft room, & have my plastic drawers-on-wheels that I use for stamp sets in there, plus another set of stacking drawers with supplies, where I can see them from my crafting table. I have my paper in hanging files in rolling bins under the craft table, easy to pull out, get out the CS I need, & roll back under! I store my stamp pads on the wall in an old wooden cassette-tape rack (does anyone remember cassette tapes??) right next to the craft table. Hanging from the bottom of that is a narrow curtain rod where I hang all kinds of embellies, etc., in their packages, using those really cheap metal shower curtain rings (Walmart, around $1.97 for pkg of 10). Plus lots of open shelves & a big bookcase! It looks like a mess to some people, but I prefer to see what I have so I can use it. I tried putting everything away one time, & found that I just couldn't be as creative when I wasn't sitting in the middle of a "mess"!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #423
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizBeth1976 View Post
RE: your organizational tip: I'm the same way, if I don't see it, I don't use it! I took the closet doors off of the closet in my craft room
Me, too!! It's so hard to have a clean craft room when you are an "out of sight, out of mind" crafter.

My closet has shelves and it looks cluttered, but I know exactly where things are in there. Same with my bookcase and my Clip it Up. Next project is pegboard so I can hang up things I don't want to store in a photo box. My "organizing" is coming along really, really slow.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #424
Matboard Maniac

Hi Melissa! Mine is coming along slowly, too....or else I just never get it done 'cause I'm always finding a different (or better??) way to organize things! I moved into the room I'm in now last summer, 'cause it's bigger & has a window! But it seems to be taking me forever to get "settled" in it. I wish I could have one of those HGTV shows come & get it all done in one weekend!! Yah, right!

I've always wanted a pegboard, but never seem to have the wall space for it...or at least any wall space I want to give up so I can put up a pegboard! So good luck with your pegboard project--keep us posted!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #425
Compulsive Stamper

I love to organize but you wouldn't guess it by looking at my craft room right now. For me- I need to have a clean starting place, so I've got to tidy up at least a bit of space to work in just to get started. On the other hand, you are right, out of sight is often, out of mind. Sometimes it feels like it takes longer to pull things out to use than to actually get the card done.
Just have to say, went to my first stampin club night last night- had a great time, enjoyed the card designs. It will be a challenge to not overspend but I had my list made out B4 I got there to avoid temptation.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #426
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking Half Way for March ...

How's everyone doing? We're almost done with the first quarter, how is it going? Are we making progress with the organizational challenge this month? How are we doing using our stamps that haven't seen ink? I went through my account for last year and added up all of the craft spend and compared to this year I'm 1/4 of what I spent last year ... WOW! The amazing (awesome, exciting) part is that I've scrapped and stamped MORE this year than last so not constantly buying supplies doesn't seem to be cramping my style .... What about all of you?

I have some time off next month and I look forward to working on more of my unmounting project to add some space to my shelves. This month, just trying to get a few pages and cards done is progress.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #427
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Doing good! I've been using my supplies and stamps more. Feels so good to put ink on stamps I haven't used before! When I do buy something, I take my time and actually think about it. Been trying to only get what is "necessary". I've been doing great on avoiding the impulse buying. This thread has helped a ton! This thread has actually made me think seriously before I make a purchase. I've been asking myself, Is there something I already have that would work? Most of the time there is. Thanks to you and all of you for helping me stay motivated!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #428
Hardware Hotshot

I'm doing pretty good this month. I have spent a little bit of money on Ebay for an embossing folder that I have wanted for a while. I'm going to a LSS in Jacksonville this Saturday and will probably spent some money there. It's a three hour drive, so I don't go there often!

I've done pretty good about using stamps that have never seen ink before; most of the cards I made this month were with "virgin" stamps. I haven't done much reorganizing of my supplies. What I need to work on is getting those packages of clear stamps categorized and in cases. Right now I have a whole bunch of them in plastic storage containers & I forget what's in there.

My Pinterest Page

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #429
Matboard Maniac

Red face

I have dug out a few of my 'forgotten' stamps this month & made a few cards. I've also used paper & cardstock that I've been hoarding! And I've used gel pens, colored pencils, and markers to color some of the images! (Guess I should get them out of the camera & uploaded to my gallery...when I have time!)

As far as my spending goes, tho... ..not so good. I forgot that I had ordered a stamp pad from my LSS, back in November (!). She called me today & said it was finally in. It's a very small store, so I didn't feel right telling her I couldn't buy it right now. I'll try not to pick up anything else while I'm there...I'll see if the "shop your hometown" guilt gets to me when I stop in tomorrow. And a friend had a CTMH workshop the first part of the month, and of course I ordered some things! She finally closed it last Friday, so I paid her for my order today. BUT this is IT!! No more "stuff" the rest of the month, or in April, other than adhesives (and actually I'm pretty good on those for awhile...)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #430
Stampin' Fool

20 days behind us and 11 days (including today) left to go ... and I've used up all but $2 of my March budget. That's OK. I'm sure I can make it through the month without going over. I just won't have much of anything left over to add to my April budget.

March Question of the Month: What Organizational Tip or Idea has worked the best for you to help you use stash you have?

**For scrapbooking, putting together page kits is best. I put photos, paper and embellishments together in a 13"x13" zip-style bag. Having a dozen or so bags put together before a crop really helps me get things done.

**For cardmaking, I've found that keeping my paper scraps in zip-style bags, sorted by color, helps me to use up my smaller pieces and storing my Memento inks with my Copics (not with my other ink pads) ensures that I always have the right ink at hand when I want to use my Copics.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #431
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to sekerosiris
Default too late?

is this a group thats too late to join? im not sure im a great canadate for it as my spending on crafting stuff has been redi. this year but i would like to at least try to use up more of what i have and curb impulse buying just becuse i have a cupon and money... jodi
Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #432
Die Cut Diva

Welcome! It is never too late to join and try to make more responsible purchases.

It feels rewarding to only use coupons or go to sales for things we need or will use now
Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #433

Welcome Jodi! I used to feel that if I had a coupon I HAD to use it...it was that bargain shopper in me. But honestly - I can't remember that last time I walked in M's was....I did walk in Hobby Lobby last week but it was just to buy a gift card for a friend and then I walked right back out - didn't go any further than the cash register! WOW!

You'll find some great ideas reading back through the posts - and be inspired! Use what you have instead of buying something new - that's my moto for 2012!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #434
Die Cut Diva

On this challenge we have unearthed several "over spending" triggers

For some it was feeling it was wasteful to have a coupon and not use it.
Others bought ribbon, paper, embellishments, etc when they saw great sale prices even though they had more of these things than they could ever use.

For me it was seeing a great card and immediately searching for the stamp or die that was used, without carefully considering how often I would use that stamp or die.

Now when I see a "Wow" card I wait a couple of week before I consider buying the stamp or die used. I ask myself if I have something similar to use and how often will I use that stamp or die.

I don't favor it or save the card.
If in a few weeks I am still thinking about it I buy the stamp or die .
It is intereting how often I see a card that I love at the time and in a couple of days I have totally forgotten about it .

I am enjoying and using what I buy now , instead of buying stuff for someday.

Recently I realized that SU Poppy Parade CS will be discontinued in June and thought I should buy more even though I have 3/4 of a package that has not been used .
Then I reconsidered and decided that I will find another red when I run out of Poppy Parade. I am sure there is a red by another company that I will like as well as Poppy Parade.

My life will not fall apart if something I like is discontinued
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #435
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekerosiris View Post
is this a group thats too late to join? im not sure im a great canadate for it as my spending on crafting stuff has been redi. this year but i would like to at least try to use up more of what i have and curb impulse buying just becuse i have a cupon and money... jodi
Never too late! Welcome to the group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
On this challenge we have unearthed several "over spending" triggers

For some it was feeling it was wasteful to have a coupon and not use it.
Others bought ribbon, paper, embellishments, etc when they saw great sale prices even though they had more of these things than they could ever use . . .
For me it was buying a bunch of cheap, sale or coupon items that I didn't real need or want while denying myself something I really wanted because I didn't want to pay postage or full price to get it.

I still have to watch how much I spend, but now I'm trying to focus on getting stuff I really need or want.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #436
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Never too late! Welcome to the group!!

For me it was buying a bunch of cheap, sale or coupon items that I didn't real need or want while denying myself something I really wanted because I didn't want to pay postage or full price to get it.

I still have to watch how much I spend, but now I'm trying to focus on getting stuff I really need or want.
I don't look for more to buy just to get free shipping. I pay the shipping for just what I want and if the shipping is too high I don't buy the products . I will find them some where else with better shipping rates . I just backed out of buying a $14 item that would have easily fit in the $5.15 priority box with no weight limit and they wanted $8.50 to ship it . I would have paid the $5.15.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #437
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face Checking In

On another thread I saw a post by someone that said they'd hardly got any stamping/scrapping done this year as they were feeling claustrophobic in their craft space because it's over flowing with stash .... (I paraphrased).

I truly feel like I've done more stamping and scrapping Jan-March than I have in the last few years thanks to our challenge to be more focused on creativity than shopping. I love the creativity of stamping/scrapping but sometimes it was SO easy to get sucked into the constant shopping part of the hobby. There's always something new, different, updated, better.
Don't get me wrong, still love to shop for crafty items, I just think for me the focus on moderation is motivating.

Like Barbara, I found out this week that CTMH is discontinuing their current markers. My first thought was to buy all the ones I don't have and seconds of some of my faves ... and then sanity check ... why? I haven't missed those other colors before this and I know they're coming out with different ones. Rationale prevailed and I have 1 on my wish list - Olive.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #438
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I went to the LSS in Jacksonville yesterday afternoon. I spent $25 and definitely overspent my craft budget for the month. But I bought a couple of things that were on my wishlist.

AND! I used one of the items last night to make a card for my stash. That alone is a big step in the right direction for me; usually I buy something and let it sit for a while before I use it.

My Pinterest Page

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #439
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to sekerosiris
Default spent :(

well i guess i have not done so well in my week ive been with the group there was a die ive been looking into getting the last several months but its not on clearance yet so pretty expensive well joanns online put it on sale the other day with free shipping so i caved and got it plus one other so i ended up with a big flower die & pinwheel so i can mke both before renn fair in april but i went to joanns last week (with my cupon) and only got what i needed, mini misters to save myself alot of money by making my own sprays with the perfect pearls... plus one pack of double sided paper that was clearenced for $7 (i have people comming over once a week to work on explosion boxes which require dsp of course i already have a huge stack but at 7$ it was hard to pass..)

im working on using stamps i have not used before and am half way through them.. i addopted a rondald mcdonald house near by so ill be making them some things with the stamps over the next couple of weeks.. .. Jodi
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #440

I love the idea of working through stamps that I haven't used! I mean - I know the we had the challenge to use uninked stamps....but to really start working through all of them and using them. I'm inspired! What a great idea!!!!!