Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   So Ya Wanna Swap? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/so-ya-wanna-swap-f114/)
-   -   New Swap Forum User Group Questions (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/so-ya-wanna-swap-f114/new-swap-forum-user-group-questions-t436255.html)

SDiegoGal 05-08-2009 01:09 AM

New Swap Forum User Group Questions
 
Feel free to post any questions about the New Swap Forum User Group. We'll answer your question asap.

Swap Forum User Group FAQ

Q. I can't find the application. Help!
A: The information thread contains links to the application. Please read the entire information thread. Post #5 links you to the application.

Q: Who can see my information?
A: Only moderators can see your personal information. This information will only be used to contact you if in regards to any swap issues that may occur. It will not be sold to or used by any other outside source.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of swaps I can participate in?
A: No. Feel free to join as many swaps as you can handle.

Q: How do I know if my application has been approved?
A: Click on "Group Memberships" on the left hand side of the screen. After you are approved, the group will be listed in your memberships.

Q: One of the members of my swap is not going to join the user group. What now?
A: Any member of SCS can see the threads and posts in the swap forum. They just can't post a new thread or post to an existing thread. If they prefer not to join the user group, they can still finish out the swaps they are in. If they need to get a hold of you, you can be reached by PM. The decision not to join the user group does not prohibit them from following through on their swap commitment.

Q: I prefer not to join the user group, but I am currently signed up for a swap. What now?
A: Any member of SCS can see the threads and posts in the swap forum. Non-user group members just can't post a new thread or post to an existing thread. If you prefer not to join the user group, you should still finish out the swaps you are in. If you need to get a hold of your hostess, they can be reached by PM. The decision not to join the user group does not prohibit you from following through on your swap commitment.

Q: What is an "Open" swap?
A: A swap is considered "Open" until all the swaps have been swapped out and mailed. In other words, once the swaps leave the hostess's home, the swap is closed.

StampinGoodDeeds 05-13-2009 09:50 AM

Hi --
I just found out about the new Hostess/Participant User Group and am hosting many more swaps that the limit of 5, including the one I had posted this morning before seeing the new rules.
Am I going to be allowed to finish the ones I'm hosting, even though there are more than 5?
Does that limit of 5 include those in which we are participating (hosted by others)?

grandmamichelf 05-13-2009 09:53 AM

That's a good question. I'm in at least 15-17 swaps and I want to be able to continue with those.

Are we, as participants, going to be limited in how many swaps we join? Won't that hinder participation in some way? Won't the limit of 5 swaps to hostess limit the amount of swaps that we, as participants, will have to choose from?

I submitted my application anyway because I love me some swappin', just wanted to get some things clarified so I'm following the rules.:mrgreen:

StampinGoodDeeds 05-13-2009 09:56 AM

I've submitted my app, but am also seeking clarification. I just deleted the swap I posted this morning also to be safe. I enjoy hosting and haven't had any complaints that I know of, so this is disappointing to me. I kind of feel like I'm being punished even though I haven't been the violator (to my knowledge).

cdennett 05-13-2009 09:58 AM

I have submitted my application but how do we know when we are approved? Do we get a PM about it?

StampinGoodDeeds 05-13-2009 10:02 AM

Good question, Crystal. I don't check email for this as often so I hope its via Pm.

PaperAddict 05-13-2009 10:04 AM

I have the same questions as Crystal (cdennett).

Also, when it comes to being banned, etc. This applies to participants only when the Mods have received complaints from hostesses, right? In other words, if you are in a swap and have to drop for whatever reason, and you tell the hostess, and she is okay with it. That doesn't count against anyone, does it?

Thanks.

StampinGoodDeeds 05-13-2009 10:06 AM

Another question: I have a couple of swaps that are 'ongoing', not with just one close date, such as the girls pen pal list/swap, and also the "Monthly Scripture Swap" which has 12 months set up within the one swap thread, ongoing til December of this year. I noticed the new rules said the ones that are open will be allowed to finish, but how are those going to be counted and impacted?

paisley_frogs 05-13-2009 10:06 AM

will SCS be selling the list of our phone numbers to marketers of any kind?? Indusrty related or not- my number is private, for friends/family/school only. I don't want anyone making money on selling me out-lol

paisley_frogs 05-13-2009 10:09 AM

Won't the "5" rule, discourage hostesses from volunteering to hostess the ongoing threads? The PIF threads, Pif images, express images,etc.

swain78 05-13-2009 10:14 AM

I have many of the same questions already asked.

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds (Post 14047708)
Hi --
I just found out about the new Hostess/Participant User Group and am hosting many more swaps that the limit of 5, including the one I had posted this morning before seeing the new rules.
Am I going to be allowed to finish the ones I'm hosting, even though there are more than 5?
Does that limit of 5 include those in which we are participating (hosted by others)?

If a hostess has several current ongoing swaps, they can continue on with those swaps. We ask that hostesses not post any new swaps until the total open swaps you host are at five open swaps.

StampinGoodDeeds 05-13-2009 10:17 AM

I noticed the rules also emphasize that hostesses must return swaps within 10 days of the close date. I have been listing a close date for sign-ups, and then have a separate due date on my swaps. I always try to sort and return within 7 days of that due date, and if there are any delays, always check with participants on the thread first if there are any problems. Is this not allowed anymore then?
If as a hostess I violate in some way or someone complains then, how will we be notified or are they just going to cancel our membership?
As someone asked above also, what about when someone notifies the hostess they need to drop and the hostess is okay with that. I host open lists on most of my swaps so that participants won't be impacted if someone has to drop or 'flakes' -- that way it isn't such a problem for my swaps, saves me the stress too. And as a hostess, I've just accepted the responsibility to have to make up/angel any items that I need to in order to ensure the participants get back the amount they signed up for. So will this no longer be alright to do also?

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelf (Post 14047758)
That's a good question. I'm in at least 15-17 swaps and I want to be able to continue with those.

Are we, as participants, going to be limited in how many swaps we join? Won't that hinder participation in some way? Won't the limit of 5 swaps to hostess limit the amount of swaps that we, as participants, will have to choose from?

I submitted my application anyway because I love me some swappin', just wanted to get some things clarified so I'm following the rules.

Members can join as many swaps as they'd like. :)

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds (Post 14047792)
I've submitted my app, but am also seeking clarification. I just deleted the swap I posted this morning also to be safe. I enjoy hosting and haven't had any complaints that I know of, so this is disappointing to me. I kind of feel like I'm being punished even though I haven't been the violator (to my knowledge).

We have run in to problems with some hostesses that swap dozens of swaps at a time. We are not singling out any hostess/swapper in particular. We are just trying to avoid problems in the future.

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdennett (Post 14047820)
I have submitted my application but how do we know when we are approved? Do we get a PM about it?

We will not be PMing you. To check to see if you are "in", go to "Group memberships". If you have been approved, you will see the group listed under "You are a member of the following groups".

prairiejen 05-13-2009 10:23 AM

Is this going to cost money? Do I need to change my membership status? I'm a bit confused as I only participate in swaps I don't host them. Does this mean eg. the people in the swap can no longer chit chat with each other?
thanks
Jen

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperAddict (Post 14047880)
I have the same questions as Crystal (cdennett).

Also, when it comes to being banned, etc. This applies to participants only when the Mods have received complaints from hostesses, right? In other words, if you are in a swap and have to drop for whatever reason, and you tell the hostess, and she is okay with it. That doesn't count against anyone, does it?

Thanks.

Banning a member is a serious offense. The moderators take great care in researching both sides of the story before a member is removed or banned. We understand that sometimes life gets in the way of completing a swap. :)

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds (Post 14047900)
Another question: I have a couple of swaps that are 'ongoing', not with just one close date, such as the girls pen pal list/swap, and also the "Monthly Scripture Swap" which has 12 months set up within the one swap thread, ongoing til December of this year. I noticed the new rules said the ones that are open will be allowed to finish, but how are those going to be counted and impacted?

Members may have ongoing swaps. These swaps are included in the 5 that each hostess is allowed.

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paisley_frogs (Post 14047901)
will SCS be selling the list of our phone numbers to marketers of any kind?? Indusrty related or not- my number is private, for friends/family/school only. I don't want anyone making money on selling me out-lol

No. SCS has never, ever sold the information gathered here to anyone.

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paisley_frogs (Post 14047925)
Won't the "5" rule, discourage hostesses from volunteering to hostess the ongoing threads? The PIF threads, Pif images, express images,etc.

We don't believe so. There are a few thousand members that use the swap forums. There are lots of swap ideas floating around. The "5" rule might even encourage more first time hostesses to give hostessing a go.

galet1 05-13-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds (Post 14048016)
I noticed the rules also emphasize that hostesses must return swaps within 10 days of the close date. I have been listing a close date for sign-ups, and then have a separate due date on my swaps. I always try to sort and return within 7 days of that due date, and if there are any delays, always check with participants on the thread first if there are any problems. Is this not allowed anymore then?
If as a hostess I violate in some way or someone complains then, how will we be notified or are they just going to cancel our membership?
As someone asked above also, what about when someone notifies the hostess they need to drop and the hostess is okay with that. I host open lists on most of my swaps so that participants won't be impacted if someone has to drop or 'flakes' -- that way it isn't such a problem for my swaps, saves me the stress too. And as a hostess, I've just accepted the responsibility to have to make up/angel any items that I need to in order to ensure the participants get back the amount they signed up for. So will this no longer be alright to do also?

That's kind of a bummer, Susan, for you and several other hostesses. I haven't noticed you having any problems tracking all of the swaps you host. Shouldn't there be some "graded" system that if you are a new hostess, you can only have 5 open, but if you're an experienced hostess (also with no complaints or have lots of compliments on the recognizing your hostess thread), you should be able to host more than 5 (who's to say how many - 10, 15, 20, etc). Dunno - it does seem like a punishment to those of you that host multiple with no problems....

I also agree with what someone else said about limiting the #/type of swaps we, as participants, have to choose from. I'm in 15 or so open swaps right now that range from altered items to ATCs to cards and close anywhere from now to Oct. It's great to have such a wide variety to choose from!!

What about those of us that NEVER host; I think this might scare some would-be new hostesses into NOT hosting!

I understand the reasoning behind this, just maybe don't totally agree... ;)

PaperAddict 05-13-2009 10:32 AM

Just checked my Group Membership, and I've already been added to the Swaps group.
Thanks!!! :D

ljwil 05-13-2009 10:33 AM

I'm all approved now (thank you), but I don't see my "Cdn Express Image Swap" thread showing up under my subscriptions. I even tried adding a post to see if that would trigger the addition, but no luck!

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds (Post 14048016)
I noticed the rules also emphasize that hostesses must return swaps within 10 days of the close date. I have been listing a close date for sign-ups, and then have a separate due date on my swaps. I always try to sort and return within 7 days of that due date, and if there are any delays, always check with participants on the thread first if there are any problems. Is this not allowed anymore then?

We have the 10 day rule to discourage hostesses from pushing dates back further and further. There have been numerous occasions when a hostess indicates that everyone is okay with the date being pushed back. In the meantime, we have swappers PMing us and complaining that the date keeps getting pushed back.


Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds (Post 14048016)
If as a hostess I violate in some way or someone complains then, how will we be notified or are they just going to cancel our membership?

When the moderators look into a "complaint" we do everything we can to hear both sides of the issues. You will be contacted if your membership to the swap forums or SCS is in jeopardy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds (Post 14048016)
As someone asked above also, what about when someone notifies the hostess they need to drop and the hostess is okay with that. I host open lists on most of my swaps so that participants won't be impacted if someone has to drop or 'flakes' -- that way it isn't such a problem for my swaps, saves me the stress too. And as a hostess, I've just accepted the responsibility to have to make up/angel any items that I need to in order to ensure the participants get back the amount they signed up for. So will this no longer be alright to do also?

We do realize that sometimes swaps just cannot be completed. Swappers that are in contact with their hostesses and explain the situation are not the ones that we are cracking down on. The swappers that we are cracking down on are those that sign up for a swap and then never post to the thread again, don't respond to PMs and just don't turn anything in. Anyone that follows the guidelines and rules have nothing to worry about. :)

mepylant 05-13-2009 10:40 AM

I need answers to all above questions also and to add:

By "open" you mean ones we are hosting that have open spots available not the ones that are Full/closed and swapping out right?...or is this just straight across the board we can only host 5 swaps at a time?

And how long do we have to wait until one of ours is swapped out and returned before we open another? Do we have to wait until the Mods delete it and if so will that process be sped up in any way?

I'm sorry but I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I agree with setting rules to protect hostesses and participants but I've not had any complaints to my knowledge and this is confusing to me. I joined SCS b/c it was fun and I got to "meet" people that loved the same things that I do and we got to create and share our passion. Now it seems like we're being punished for something someone else did.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
God Bless,

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galet1 (Post 14048131)
That's kind of a bummer, Susan, for you and several other hostesses. I haven't noticed you having any problems tracking all of the swaps you host. Shouldn't there be some "graded" system that if you are a new hostess, you can only have 5 open, but if you're an experienced hostess (also with no complaints or have lots of compliments on the recognizing your hostess thread), you should be able to host more than 5 (who's to say how many - 10, 15, 20, etc). Dunno - it does seem like a punishment to those of you that host multiple with no problems....

I also agree with what someone else said about limiting the #/type of swaps we, as participants, have to choose from. I'm in 15 or so open swaps right now that range from altered items to ATCs to cards and close anywhere from now to Oct. It's great to have such a wide variety to choose from!!

What about those of us that NEVER host; I think this might scare some would-be new hostesses into NOT hosting!

I understand the reasoning behind this, just maybe don't totally agree... ;)

All these changes to the swap forums were made with special consideration and were all based on problems we have had in the past.

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljwil (Post 14048159)
I'm all approved now (thank you), but I don't see my "Cdn Express Image Swap" thread showing up under my subscriptions. I even tried adding a post to see if that would trigger the addition, but no luck!

I'll let Jenn know. Hopefully she can let us know what's going on.

InkStazOnMe 05-13-2009 10:49 AM

Do we need to be a member to participate in the PIF stamped images threads?

I am thinking yes, but want to be sure. Gotta let my fellow PIF'ers know! :)

mnewby 05-13-2009 10:50 AM

I just submitted my application. First let me say WAY TO GO SCS!!!! I have been having many "issues" lately with hosting swaps and it's honestly been frusterating and has held me back from hosting. I'm glad there is now going to be a stronger repremand for those that "flake." I don't have any additional questions at this time. Glad to see everyone asking them for me. :)

Ok I just thought of one, does hosting a secret sister swap count towards the 5???

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mepylant (Post 14048223)
I need answers to all above questions also and to add:

By "open" you mean ones we are hosting that have open spots available not the ones that are Full/closed and swapping out right?...or is this just straight across the board we can only host 5 swaps at a time?

"Open" means any swap that has not been swapped out and returned to the swappers. Once the swaps leave your houses and are in the mail back to the swappers, you can consider it closed in regards to the open swap count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mepylant (Post 14048223)
And how long do we have to wait until one of ours is swapped out and returned before we open another? Do we have to wait until the Mods delete it and if so will that process be sped up in any way?

We do not delete swaps. You may open a new one once you swap out and drop the packages in the mail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mepylant (Post 14048223)
I'm sorry but I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I agree with setting rules to protect hostesses and participants but I've not had any complaints to my knowledge and this is confusing to me. I joined SCS b/c it was fun and I got to "meet" people that loved the same things that I do and we got to create and share our passion. Now it seems like we're being punished for something someone else did.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
God Bless,

Please don't take these rules personally. The swap forum moderators field several PMs a week from swappers that are frustrated with hostesses that have disappeared or didn't return swaps, or hostesses that are frustrated with swappers that did not complete a swap or just ignored their PMs.

The new rules have been set in place so that everyone can have a positive experience. The only members that are truly being penalized are the ones that are making the swap forums a negative experience.

We are confident that the changes will continue to keep the swap forums a fun place to meet fun people. :)

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkStazOnMe (Post 14048298)
Do we need to be a member to participate in the PIF stamped images threads?

I am thinking yes, but want to be sure. Gotta let my fellow PIF'ers know! :)

Yes. :) Thanks for helping to spread the word.

InkStazOnMe 05-13-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGal (Post 14048343)
Yes. :) Thanks for helping to spread the word.

Thanks Michelle! :)

lorabele 05-13-2009 10:55 AM

While I can understand and support the need to have more control of swaps, I do object to the random limitation of 5 swaps per hostess. Isn't it more important that they follow through and meet the time lines? If they can juggle 10 swaps at a time, isn't that a BENEFIT to the rest of us? You're arbitrarily penalizing all of us, because the hostesses who can do more now will not. That's not right. In my opinion, you should stick with the 10-day rule and head it off that way, not limit the amount of swaps someone can hostess.

Lori

StampinGoodDeeds 05-13-2009 10:56 AM

I understand the need to put rules in place, but do feel that this is punishment really to those of us who host responsibly. It is also disappointing to know we didn't have any input to the kinds of decisions made, or forewarning really other than a few days.
I agree that it takes the fun out of things in many ways. Many of us have 'earned' our reputation for hosting and have worked hard to do that, and that is why we host a lot and have a lot of participants because people can count on us to host responsibly and they know they'll enjoy it. I seek out swaps with those hostesses I know are like that as well just to participate in theirs.
I like the suggestion above that there be levels of hostessing perhaps, based upon your experience and reputation. Allowing those who are responsible to host more.
It obviously will limit the number of swaps I host (and available to others) -- that would eliminate more than two dozen from me alone if you go by current numbers. It will also prevent me from hosting ongoing ones, and basically force me to host only short term ones with limited crafting time so as to not have them open for long periods of time or consume my limit of only 5.
Very discouraging and disappointing to me as a hostess and as a participant.

jbalcer 05-13-2009 10:59 AM

Susan, you make several great points, and you're right - established hostesses can/should be counted on to host more responsibly. How would you suggest putting some kind of tiered system like this into place?

PaperAddict 05-13-2009 11:02 AM

Thank you, Michelle, and all the Mods.
I have only had one bad swapping experience, PTL, and it was eventually corrected.
Having had good experiences (and some that were just super-fantastic :D ), it's hard to remember/imagine that things can and do go bad sometimes.
Thanks for looking out for us.

I personally don't take well to change (and can get quite unruly about it - LOL!), even when it's good. Just wanted to say thanks for all you do (and put up with from us)!

{{{HUGS}}}

mnewby 05-13-2009 11:04 AM

Ok I must say from the flip side. I have hosted MANY swaps in the past year that I have been on SCS. However there have been SEVERAL times that I have thought of a swap to host, have gone to the thread list, and see that it's already being hosted by a hostess that has 10+ open swaps. I command these hostess for thinking of it before me but at the same time it's a bummer and let down to someone that can only handle 5 or less swaps at a time. It's not fair to those of us that can not multi-task like others. Like Michelle said it will allow EVERYONE including new members to SCS to have a chance to host a swap and reap the rewards so to say.

I can not tell you how many close SCS friends I have seen drop off the threads due to these disappoinments. Some of the girls have been on SCS for quiet some time. I just hate to see it happen to new people as well.

Just a little more of my two sense!!

SDiegoGal 05-13-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiejen (Post 14048073)
Is this going to cost money? Do I need to change my membership status? I'm a bit confused as I only participate in swaps I don't host them. Does this mean eg. the people in the swap can no longer chit chat with each other?
thanks
Jen

This will not cost money. It is free to join the Swap user group. You can chit chat as much as you want. :)

StampinGoodDeeds 05-13-2009 11:13 AM

Perhaps a hostess feedback system or perhaps levels based upon how many swaps they have hosted to that point and no complaints/violations. If a violation occurs, they have to start from that point until they have the required number without complaints or issues, to then go to another level.

Maybe beginning hostess, etc. SCS has such creative titles they give each member already, I'm sure they would be able to come up with great titles for these levels as well. Maybe host 5 without issues, you can host 6 next time. Host 10 without issues, host 8, etc. Some sort of tiering.

Also, how is SCS Mgmt planning on tracking how many we are hosting? Is this an honor system or are we going to be limited to how many threads we can subscribe to at a time? I have all my past swaps still in my threads because as a responsible hostess, I like to follow up on those too and make sure folks receive them or check to see if there were any other questions, etc. even long after I close them.



Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer (Post 14048406)
Susan, you make several great points, and you're right - established hostesses can/should be counted on to host more responsibly. How would you suggest putting some kind of tiered system like this into place?



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:34 PM.