Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #161
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
I understand the need to put rules in place, but do feel that this is punishment really to those of us who host responsibly. It is also disappointing to know we didn't have any input to the kinds of decisions made, or forewarning really other than a few days.
I agree that it takes the fun out of things in many ways. Many of us have 'earned' our reputation for hosting and have worked hard to do that, and that is why we host a lot and have a lot of participants because people can count on us to host responsibly and they know they'll enjoy it. I seek out swaps with those hostesses I know are like that as well just to participate in theirs.
I like the suggestion above that there be levels of hostessing perhaps, based upon your experience and reputation. Allowing those who are responsible to host more.
It obviously will limit the number of swaps I host (and available to others) -- that would eliminate more than two dozen from me alone if you go by current numbers. It will also prevent me from hosting ongoing ones, and basically force me to host only short term ones with limited crafting time so as to not have them open for long periods of time or consume my limit of only 5.
Very discouraging and disappointing to me as a hostess and as a participant.
I totally agree with you. I too work hard and have earned a good reputation as a hostess and swapper, People join my swaps because they know they are fun and they will get their cards back. I don't worry about flakers and have not to date reported anyone who has flaked on my swaps. Because If I have to I will make more cards it there is a need for more,. Everyone is happy. I feel life happens and if someone saids they can't do the swap I understand. I have my swaps out within 10 days if not faster and feel like I am being punished for others acts. My swappers are always asking when is the next swap coming now they will have to wait til some end. This takes away the planning ahead and joining swaps early.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #162
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&GsMom View Post
I don't know if this will help, but you could go to your own name in one of your posts, then link to the "Find more posts by " and re-subscribe to anything you've posted to. It's probably a TON, but at least it's filtering of some kind for you!

Hope that makes sense!! (And helps!)
I have tried and posted to all and they are still not showing ,
Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #163
Chat Box Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley_frogs View Post
well, I vouch for Susan: she commimunicates extremely well, has great themes and is so highly organized I am amazed. Props to our gal, Susan!! And we would loose a lot of great options if she is limited to 5.
I think I'm lost......

How is limiting one person to holding 5 swaps at at time loosing options? When those 5 are over, the person can post 5 more. It's not like once they host 5 they can't host anymore. I'm not trying to be snarky or rude...please don't think that. I just don't understand why it is a big deal....help me understand....

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #164
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkStazOnMe View Post
I think I'm lost......

How is limiting one person to holding 5 swaps at at time loosing options? When those 5 are over, the person can post 5 more. It's not like once they host 5 they can't host anymore. I'm not trying to be snarky or rude...please don't think that. I just don't understand why it is a big deal....help me understand....
There are some hostesses that host a couple of swaps in each category and you have to wait until one finishes (sometimes 2-3 months if you plan ahead that way) before you can open another. It will either encourage "quickies" or limit the options if someone can't post swaps for summer and then while those are going on or close to finishing post some for completion in fall, etc.

It's also a problem if you host an ongoing one. I was planning to open a Round 2 of a swap I just finished that everyone who participated said they wanted to join again for Round 2, but because I have 5 going I can't post it until one of my July due date ones is finished. It's not life or death, but it really cramps the "creative" juices when you get a great idea for a swap and you can't post or have to wait.

I think that's the issue that's being tossed around here.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #165
Polyshrink Goddess

I would just like to say I REALLY appreciate SCS doing this as I have been a participant in 2 swaps that I've never gotten cards back from AND I am a hostess that has 3 people that are habitual flakers. I'm kinda bummed about the 5 limit because a have a few hostesses I like to stick with who always have a ton of swaps going but all in all I am soooo happy this is being done, it makes me feel like my time, effort, and expense is really being respected even though this is "just a hobby." Thank you!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #166
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree!!

Quote:
I think I'm lost......

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #167
SCS Swap Moderator

I haven't read back yet, but just wanted to mention that there is not a limit to the number of groups in a particular swap or the number of participants. If the hostesses that want to host more swaps group them together under one swap title it would allow them to still have lots of swaps and be within the rules.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #168
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLScrapHappy View Post
It's because of Susan and all her swaps that I decided to start hosting(she was totally supportive, like a swap hostess mentor of sorts!)...just finished my first one. Despite 2 flakers, everything was returned on time, etc.

I'm just disappointed that SCS didn't post this info to hostesses and participants through a pm so that everyone would receive it.

I've got more than 5 going right now (2 more are on their way back to participants) and I set the due dates so that I can handle what I'm doing.

I like the idea of an "ebay" like rating system so people can respond with "feedback" after they complete the swap. Hostesses and swappers could "earn their stars" so to speak.

Anyway, nothing changes for me...I registered and hope all my participants do the same in the swaps I'm hosting.
We did look into this and were not able to make it work.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #169
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz5dzh View Post
I haven't read back yet, but just wanted to mention that there is not a limit to the number of groups in a particular swap or the number of participants. If the hostesses that want to host more swaps group them together under one swap title it would allow them to still have lots of swaps and be within the rules.
Ah Ha! A loophole! Oh...this will make Susan so happy! THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #170
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Groups them how?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #171
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky View Post
Groups them how?
Like if you were to host a Birthday Card Swap and have different groups within it for different manufacturers. Or switch it around and have a SU! Swap but break down groups underneath it for different occasions, birthday, sympathy, hello, blank, etc. Does that make sense?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #172
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Groups them how?
I think they're saying that let's say you have a swap for Beach themed ATCs, one for Beach themed cards, Recipes for the Summer, and Altered Beach Pails. Instead of posting them in a couple of different places, each separately, you post one thread called, "Beach Themed Swap" Multiple Categories and then list everything in the one thread.

It will make it harder to swap surf, but it at least will get to some people having more than 5 swaps going if they want.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #173
Pearl-ExPert

we must have posted at the same time
Old 05-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #174
Chat Box Chick

So, technically, you could have 5 swaps....with 25 'mini swaps' in them....

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #175
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Yes, or you could have a swap with no limit on the participants, or spots. If the hostess has the "skilz" and wants to take that on there are no limitations on that at this point.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #176
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Like if you were to host a Birthday Card Swap and have different groups within it for different manufacturers. Or switch it around and have a SU! Swap but break down groups underneath it for different occasions, birthday, sympathy, hello, blank, etc. Does that make sense?
Yes Thank you
Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #177
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
LIke I said earlier, a loophole you can drive a truck through, but definitely one that I'm sure some people will want to take advantage of.

On another note, I've already seen a couple of posts from the swaps I'm in from people who are asking to be taken off the swap list because they are not going to join the Swap User Group.

I guess I just want to say that since the mods have said this repeatedly, you can still communicate with the hostess via pm or email, so you don't necessarily have to drop from the ones you've already committed to.

NOTE TO MODS...maybe put something in the sign up thing where you have to put in your address about the SCS privacy policy. Maybe that will help people feel better about giving out that information? Just a thought...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #178
SCS Swap Moderator

I still can't figure out why I am posting to my threads and they are not showing up in my subsriptions And I am not getting any notifications
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #179
Stazon Splitcoast

Vicki good suggestions!!

Quote:
LIke I said earlier, a loophole you can drive a truck through, but definitely one that I'm sure some people will want to take advantage of.

On another note, I've already seen a couple of posts from the swaps I'm in from people who are asking to be taken off the swap list because they are not going to join the Swap User Group.

I guess I just want to say that since the mods have said this repeatedly, you can still communicate with the hostess via pm or email, so you don't necessarily have to drop from the ones you've already committed to.

NOTE TO MODS...maybe put something in the sign up thing where you have to put in your address about the SCS privacy policy. Maybe that will help people feel better about giving out that information? Just a thought...

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #180
Die Cut Diva

Default 5/13

Well, I for one think this has been a LONG time in coming, and am greatfull that the time has come. There is nothing that makes me angrier than not being able to contact people who have signed up for a swap and not followed through. Or for people who think the "DUE DATE" is a suggestion, kinda like stop signs .

There may be bugs with this new plan, but for the hard-core swappers, this is what we've been waiting for!!

Thank you MODS!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #181
Stazon Splitcoast

I did a swap where there were three different things....it is just combining and having the same due date...that isn't too bad
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #182
Crimping Master

Send a message via AIM to SusieN56 Send a message via Yahoo to SusieN56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstamper View Post
I just went through the process on "Edit Your Details" on my Profile page. When I clicked "Save Changes" the next page said "You entered an invalid Skype name." What is that? So I went back to my profile page and made sure everything was entered correctly and "saved changes" again and the same thing happened.

Just asking someone to let me know if I need to do something differently!

Thanks!
I got the same error message. So I doubt my address was saved?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #183
Watercolor Wizard

I'm going to touch on a few things that have been posted. I'll refrain from quoting each post like I did earlier today.

As for the loophole - yes, you can do this, but please know posting several mini swaps within one and/or having dozens of participants is highly discouraged. One major point of limiting the amount of open swaps a hostess can have was not to curb creative juices or reduce the variety of swaps that were available. It was done to prevent loss from hostesses that post a bunch of swaps, have hundreds of cards sent to them and a lot of stamps and money for postage who then in turn run off and are never heard from again. We have noticed an increase in hostesses that post, collect and disappear.

I have also read that there are hostesses that don't report swappers that flake. We have had an increase in swappers that sign up for a swap and then never complete their swap commitment. They continue to flake because they are not held accountable for their inaction. The user group allows us to remove the swappers that let down their hostess and their fellow swappers by not fulfilling their commitment.

We have thought long and hard regarding these changes have have spent months weighing the pros and cons and figuring out what is best for the community as a whole. We have tossed around several different ideas and what we have announced in the changes seems to be a good solution for now. Things may change in the future, but for now, these changes are a good thing.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #184
SCS Swap Moderator

I still have not gotten an answer as to why all my threads are gone and I am not the only one and I have gone and found all my swaps and posted to them and am not getting notifications is there a reason for this.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #185
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I have tried and posted to all and they are still not showing ,
Jenn looked into this earlier. We are not sure why some members lost their subscriptions while others didn't. I'll let her know that you are still having problems after trying to re-subscribe.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #186
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDiegoGal View Post
Jenn looked into this earlier. We are not sure why some members lost their subscriptions while others didn't. I'll let her know that you are still having problems after trying to re-subscribe.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #187
Stazon Splitcoast

EVERYONE...HERE IS SOMETHING YOU CAN JUST COPY AND PASTE FOR YOUR SWAPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVERYONE MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP....

BECOME PART OF THE GROUP FOR SWAPS...

FIRST, THEY NEED YOUR INFORMATION FULLY IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE (THIS INFO WILL NOT BE SOLICITED) I OR ANY OTHER HOSTESS DO NOT HAVE ACCESS...ONLY THE MODERATORS HAVE ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION...

SECOND, IF YOU HAVEN'T JOINED DO SO now!! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST OR HOST IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED! THIS IS TO CUT THE FLAKERS OUT....

HERE IS A LINK TO INFORMATION - Please read the entire thread
The Swap Forum is Now a User Group! How to Sign Up & Important Rules HERE

HERE IS A LINK TO EDIT YOUR INFO
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...do=editprofile

HERE IS THE LINK TO JOIN
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...editusergroups

Last edited by SDiegoGal; 05-13-2009 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: fixing link
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #188
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieN56 View Post
I got the same error message. So I doubt my address was saved?
I don't see your information, so it didn't save. rjstamper was able to get hers to finally save, but we were not able to determine exactly what she did to save.

Try going to the SkyPe field and hit delete a few times then try to save again. It's possible there is some "phantom" character in that field.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #189
Stazon Splitcoast

can someone else click on the links....to make sure they are all A OK!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #190
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sek111sbc View Post
can someone else click on the links....to make sure they are all A OK!
They are not working. Looks like the links have "..." in them instead of the full URL.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #191
Crimping Master

Send a message via AIM to SusieN56 Send a message via Yahoo to SusieN56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDiegoGal View Post
I don't see your information, so it didn't save. rjstamper was able to get hers to finally save, but we were not able to determine exactly what she did to save.

Try going to the SkyPe field and hit delete a few times then try to save again. It's possible there is some "phantom" character in that field.
Finally got it to work. Apparently it was putting a name into Skype, which I wasn't seeing because by the time you enter all of the other fields, the Skype field has scrolled out of view. I entered all of the pertinent information and then scrolled back up to Skype field and removed what appeared and that did work.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #192
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I think they're saying that let's say you have a swap for Beach themed ATCs, one for Beach themed cards, Recipes for the Summer, and Altered Beach Pails. Instead of posting them in a couple of different places, each separately, you post one thread called, "Beach Themed Swap" Multiple Categories and then list everything in the one thread.

It will make it harder to swap surf, but it at least will get to some people having more than 5 swaps going if they want.
You've got the idea - but not exactly right - Those are several DIFFERENT types of swaps and would need to be listed in the correct places .. But ..

Let's say you wanted to host a Beach Theamed Gift Set Swap and each person in the swap will create: An altered beach pail, a card to match, a summer recipe to go along with the pail, and an ATC sized gift card ....

See how that's different??

Also let's say you wanted to host a Beached Theme Swap for Cards you may have several different groups like

Bright and Sunny Beach Theamed Cards
Soft and Subtle Beach Theamed Cards

or

Square Beach Cards
Long Note Beach Cards

Or

SU Beach Cards
PTI Beach Cards

You're holding one swap w/several group choices

Does that make since?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #193
Stazon Splitcoast

oh nuts....
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #194
Stazon Splitcoast

can I get some help to edit it....I already posted it a couple places...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #195
Stazon Splitcoast

it doesn't work here...but worked on the 10 pif...

EVERYONE MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP....

BECOME PART OF THE GROUP FOR SWAPS...

FIRST, THEY NEED YOUR INFORMATION FULLY IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE (THIS INFO WILL NOT BE SOLICITED) I OR ANY OTHER HOSTESS DO NOT HAVE ACCESS...ONLY THE MODERATORS HAVE ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION...

SECOND, IF YOU HAVEN'T JOINED DO SO now!! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST OR HOST IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED! THIS IS TO CUT THE FLAKERS OUT....

HERE IS A LINK TO INFORMATION - Please read the entire thread
The Swap Forum is Now a User Group! How to Sign Up & Important Rules HERE

HERE IS A LINK TO EDIT YOUR INFO
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...do=editprofile

HERE IS THE LINK TO JOIN
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...editusergroups

Last edited by SDiegoGal; 05-13-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #196
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sek111sbc View Post
can I get some help to edit it....I already posted it a couple places...
I fixed the links and added a few words.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #197
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I LOVE the way creative brains think .....

You've got the idea but Hostesses please - don't abuse the "loopholes"
We want swapping to be a good expeirence for everyone!! That's why we're making these changes.

If having several groups w/in one swap makes since by all means go for it. But don't just list 25 swaps under 1 header and call it 1 swap

Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #198
Watercolor Wizard

To get the links to copy over correctly, copy it from an edit or quote box, not from a post.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #199
Stazon Splitcoast

=hotwheels;14051294]I mad dose mean All PIf thread?? Your guys just took me fun.... and friendship! I am not to sign up mebmership... Just so I can hung with Ipf friend that dump....
inker say hello to my friends hottiw[/quote]
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #200
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to gizmonl66
Question

All of these changes are coming too quickly....I would have liked to have been informed a while ago that changes were coming.I'm behind uin several of my "monthly" individual swaps due to a death in the family that has put me behind 2 months. I( fully intend on sending my cards but now there is more peressure than ever and I think that the 10 day limit will discourage me fromjoining swaps ( I'm in Canada too and at times my mail has taken 2 weeks to reach the hostess)
I also understand some of this...I was flaked by two hostesses and one individual product exchange within the first few months of becoming active here. I finally said that that is the chance you take and you learn which swaps to join and which ones not to.
I hope that this all works out and does not greatly impact this fantastic site and group of new friends that I have met during the year...it's great to have someone to listen to you and give support when you need it.

I'm glad I saw this tonight ( Thanks Susan) but it is very sudden and yes I agree like a punch in the stomach until you get used to the idea...

My SCS Gallery