Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #81
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewby View Post
Ok I must say from the flip side. I have hosted MANY swaps in the past year that I have been on SCS. However there have been SEVERAL times that I have thought of a swap to host, have gone to the thread list, and see that it's already being hosted by a hostess that has 10+ open swaps. I command these hostess for thinking of it before me but at the same time it's a bummer and let down to someone that can only handle 5 or less swaps at a time. It's not fair to those of us that can not multi-task like others. Like Michelle said it will allow EVERYONE including new members to SCS to have a chance to host a swap and reap the rewards so to say.
I've got to say I was thinking of this scenario when I was driving home from work. When I was new to swapping I was hesitant to open any swaps because I didn't want to step on any mega hostesses toes. I think the limit makes it more user friendly to people wanting to get into hostessing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #82
Mad Swapper

I personally appreciate it. I'm a 1st time hostess right now, but an avid participant. I like not being limited to how many I can participate in. However, with that said....
I think the PIF threads should NOT be part of a regular "swap" group. Same goes for the thread of Send a Card, Recieve a Card. Those aren't regular "swaps" and as I've been participating in both, it looks like the group itself does a pretty good job of self-moderating thoswe types of threads. Just my thought.

Also...one question, if you never plan to host a swap, only participate, will you still need to sign up for this swap group? I have two non-hosting friends/participants in my own swap this applies to. Just want to clarify.
Thanks for all the hard work and answering out questions!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #83
Stazon Splitcoast

From my understanding you HAVE to register to participate at all. This includes hosting or participating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrault View Post
I personally appreciate it. I'm a 1st time hostess right now, but an avid participant. I like not being limited to how many I can participate in. However, with that said....
I think the PIF threads should NOT be part of a regular "swap" group. Same goes for the thread of Send a Card, Recieve a Card. Those aren't regular "swaps" and as I've been participating in both, it looks like the group itself does a pretty good job of self-moderating thoswe types of threads. Just my thought.

Also...one question, if you never plan to host a swap, only participate, will you still need to sign up for this swap group? I have two non-hosting friends/participants in my own swap this applies to. Just want to clarify.

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #84
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:

Yes, anyone who wants to swap will need to join the group.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #85
Stazon Splitcoast

there was talk a year or so ago about having their own area...
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #86
Swapper of the Month March 2012

As a hostess then on this end, I think this will be disasterous, resulting in many of them dropping off SCS, not sending (flaking) and not posting to me whether they have dropped or can't send, etc.
It will actually result in making happen what you had hoped to eliminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDiegoGal View Post
This goes into effect on Monday, giving swappers time to join the group.

We have posted an announcement at the top of every swap forum. We also posted it in more than a hundred swaps this morning. We are hoping that this helped to get the word out.

If, come Monday, they have not applied, when they try to post, they will get a message saying they need to apply.

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #87
Stazon Splitcoast

Susan if they are already a part of your swap then they are ok. It's if they want to join any new swaps (after Monday) they have to register. Is this right Michelle???

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #88
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sek111sbc View Post
The PIF and RAK threads? I don't recall that. But we did add guidelines for them in the So You Wanna PIF? and So You Wanna RAK? threads in this form to try and clear up the confusion on them.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #89
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz5dzh View Post
I've got to say I was thinking of this scenario when I was driving home from work. When I was new to swapping I was hesitant to open any swaps because I didn't want to step on any mega hostesses toes. I think the limit makes it more user friendly to people wanting to get into hostessing.
I hosted my first swap just in the past two months. I searched the thread for it, Spring/Easter LOTW swap and I didn't find one, but LOTW swaps are hard because they get put into multiple categories. Anyways, I started my own and then later found that there was another one that had been started earlier. I feel like my swap turned out quite successful even though there was another one almost exactly the same, there were a few different words.
My Gallery
Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #90
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't participate in the PIF swaps but from what I'm reading I think it would be beneficial for them to be in a seperate catagory instead of the swap forum. Same with SS exchanges, I don't think they should be considered "swaps."

Quote:

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #91
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
As a hostess then on this end, I think this will be disasterous, resulting in many of them dropping off SCS, not sending (flaking) and not posting to me whether they have dropped or can't send, etc.
I agree!! I'm going to try and send a message to my participants in order to try and aviod this from happening, but if they decide not to join the 'Swap Hostesses and Participants' group then won't be able to post any messages for us.

Just my opinion here, but 5 day's isn't a whole lot of time for this type of transition.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #92

No, in order to even post to a swap after Monday, they have to be a member of the new user group.

Quote:
Susan if they are already a part of your swap then they are ok. It's if they want to join any new swaps (after Monday) they have to register. Is this right Michelle???

Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
a lot of peeps do not like giving personal info...to an internet site...when they send a pkg or whatnot...they don't mind...
(( That's me!! ))
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #94

I agree. With 100,000+ members, I have found that even if I host one similar to others, I get participants usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee3357 View Post
I hosted my first swap just in the past two months. I searched the thread for it, Spring/Easter LOTW swap and I didn't find one, but LOTW swaps are hard because they get put into multiple categories. Anyways, I started my own and then later found that there was another one that had been started earlier. I feel like my swap turned out quite successful even though there was another one almost exactly the same, there were a few different words.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #95
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I don't participate in the PIF swaps but from what I'm reading I think it would be beneficial for them to be in a seperate catagory instead of the swap forum. Same with SS exchanges, I don't think they should be considered "swaps."
I agree that these swaps should be under a different category, or seperated from the hostess of 5 rule.
My Gallery
Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #96
Stazon Splitcoast

oh yeah...vz....lisacox was chatting with someone about it before or something like at...this was way back when I restarted them....during Christmas 07...it was about mid march/april when others were getting tired of theirs constantly getting bumped down because the pifs were always on top cuz how a chatty group we are...lol
Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #97

Quote:
From what I understand if a member doesn't join the 'Swap Hostesses and Participants' group by Monday then they won't be able to post to our threads. They will be able to view them though. Read Michelle's answer to my question in post #75.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #98

I agree with you about not enough time. I know there are many participants on my swaps that only log in every couple of weeks. I wouldn't have even noticed this change except someone sent me a PM on it. I log in, go to the swaps and address those. I don't check email often either compared to PMs here or such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLatty View Post
I agree!! I'm going to try and send a message to my participants in order to try and aviod this from happening, but if they decide not to join the 'Swap Hostesses and Participants' group then won't be able to post any messages for us.

Just my opinion here, but 5 day's isn't a whole lot of time for this type of transition.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #99

Quote:
I agree with you about not enough time. I know there are many participants on my swaps that only log in every couple of weeks. I wouldn't have even noticed this change except someone sent me a PM on it. I log in, go to the swaps and address those. I don't check email often either compared to PMs here or such.
Exactly! I'm going to have to send everyone in my swaps a message about this. Because like you said, not everyone checks in on a regular basis.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #100
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Yahoo to LisaCox1980

Quote:
oh yeah...vz....lisacox was chatting with someone about it before or something like at...this was way back when I restarted them....during Christmas 07...it was about mid march/april when others were getting tired of theirs constantly getting bumped down because the pifs were always on top cuz how a chatty group we are...lol
Yeah I was talking with Jenn about that but nothing ever happened that I know of.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. ~Pablo Picasso
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #101
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Exactly! I'm going to have to send everyone in my swaps a message about this. Because like you said, not everyone checks in on a regular basis.
Great idea. Helping to spread the word about the joining the swap forum would be wonderful.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #102
Hardware Hotshot

I think there will be an issue with it being an honor system. I don't see how it really changes anything than preventing people who are currently being effected and are honest. Meaning, that after a month goes by and new people show up and want to participate and then host and they some how miss the rule of 5 and start hostessing lots of swaps and what if they dont' get caught.
My Gallery
Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #103

I find the one-on-one swaps like PIF, secret sisters, etc. are the ones which have the flaking problems actually, not the ones with unlimited/open lists!
Quote:

Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #104
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
After Monday, in order to post, all they have to do is apply. The process is very easy and approvals don't take that long. We have already approved over 100 members since this morning.

If they are not a member, they just get a message saying they need to apply.

I personally don't forsee being a member deterring someone from completing their swap, or even PMing a hostess if there is a question.

If we do run into this problem, it will be an initial problem. In the long run, these changes should reduce the number of people that fail to complete a swap.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #105

Quote:
Great idea. Helping to spread the word about the joining the swap forum would be wonderful.
I’m not necessarily doing this (sending all of my swap participants a message about this change) to spread the word; I’m doing this because I’m in a state of panic. I’m curious as to why we only have 5 days for this type of transition? I would feel a lot better about this if we had some more time. Especially with 2 of those 5 days being over a weekend.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #106
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I think there will be an issue with it being an honor system. I don't see how it really changes anything than preventing people who are currently being effected and are honest. Meaning, that after a month goes by and new people show up and want to participate and then host and they some how miss the rule of 5 and start hostessing lots of swaps and what if they dont' get caught.
We will be monitoring the forums. In our past experience, swappers/hostesses will let us know if someone is not adhering to the rules.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #107
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to rjstamper
Default Swap registration

I just went through the process on "Edit Your Details" on my Profile page. When I clicked "Save Changes" the next page said "You entered an invalid Skype name." What is that? So I went back to my profile page and made sure everything was entered correctly and "saved changes" again and the same thing happened.

I have no idea if I registered correctly with that statement coming up. I also went to Group Memberships to join the swaps forum, and there is a note there that I requested to join.

Just asking someone to let me know if I need to do something differently!

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #108
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I知 not necessarily doing this (sending all of my swap participants a message about this change) to spread the word; I知 doing this because I知 in a state of panic. I知 curious as to why we only have 5 days for this type of transition? I would feel a lot better about this if we had some more time. Especially with 2 of those 5 days being over a weekend.
I agree that it isn't much time, I've posted a link to the post about how to become a member: The Swap Forum is Now a User Group! How to Sign Up & Important Rules HERE
on swaps I'm apart of to help spread the word, but it only does as good as people who check in on a regular basis.
My Gallery
Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #109
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I知 not necessarily doing this (sending all of my swap participants a message about this change) to spread the word; I知 doing this because I知 in a state of panic. I知 curious as to why we only have 5 days for this type of transition? I would feel a lot better about this if we had some more time. Especially with 2 of those 5 days being over a weekend.
We like the number 5. lol Just kidding.

Members of SCS can still see every post regardless of if they are members of the swap forum or not. They will not miss out on any information if they have not completed the application process. They can still contact hostesses via PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #110
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to LittleScrappy Send a message via Skype™ to LittleScrappy

Quote:
Everyone I must say I think your taking this all a little to personal. YES some people do ruin the flexibility for those of us that run a "tight ship" so to say. However lets not bash our MODS that work hard to make us all happy. They obviously have very valid reasons for this change. I think we all need to respect their rules and maybe sometime down the road it will be extended. For now lets just help them by adhearing to the new rule and cut them some slack.
I agree. I'm a part of a LOT of swaps, have turned a few in, got a few back and I'm hosting 2 of my own...so far . I'm having a wonderful time.

I think we should be limited because life DOES happen. What if we, as hostesses, have a problem arise and we can't fulfill our end? So the issues go both ways. Hence, why I think it's a great idea to limit the swaps we're to host. (Please don't hurt me )

There are obviously valid reasons for this change (as stated above) and we should respect the rules since they're in place to benefit us. We don't know the PM's/complaints/concerns that they (Mod Gals) get, so we can't pre-judge the reasons for these changes. It's obviously to make this a more pleasant scrapping environment for us all. Personally, I appreciate it. I was at a site where the Mods were very biased and it wasn't pleasant at ALL. I love my habit (sorry...hobby) and it's supposed to be stress-free. SCS is stress-free to me! It could be worse!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #111
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I agree that it isn't much time, I've posted a link to the post about how to become a member: The Swap Forum is Now a User Group! How to Sign Up & Important Rules HERE
on swaps I'm apart of to help spread the word, but it only does as good as people who check in on a regular basis.
The information was posted in well over a hundred swaps this morning. If they are subscribed to the thread it was posted in, their should be a message in their email.

Thanks for posting the link in the swaps you are participating in.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #112
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstamper View Post
I just went through the process on "Edit Your Details" on my Profile page. When I clicked "Save Changes" the next page said "You entered an invalid Skype name." What is that? So I went back to my profile page and made sure everything was entered correctly and "saved changes" again and the same thing happened.

I have no idea if I registered correctly with that statement coming up. I also went to Group Memberships to join the swaps forum, and there is a note there that I requested to join.

Just asking someone to let me know if I need to do something differently!

Thanks!
I sent you a PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #113

Quote:
We like the number 5. lol Just kidding.
Very cute, you made my laugh with that one....he...he!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #114
Hardware Hotshot

The concerns I'm hearing is, is there going to be some leniency? If you have 5 swaps open, can you help out another hostess and take on their swap? Or can we categorize swaps, so that a hostess can have 5 Secret Sis, 5 ongoing and 5 regular swaps (for instance).
My Gallery
Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #115

I've notified all my swaps now as well.

As already expressed on this list by others, many may not want to sign up because it requires they provide their personal information including a phone number.

I think this will greatly impact the swaps and will only make the hostesses look bad because of those who then drop off or appear to have flaked.

ANOTHER Question:

The 10 day rule:
What about swaps that are one-on-one like PIFs and Secret Sisters? My experience has been that THOSE are the ones where they flake more and fail to send. How is the hostess going to be held accountable for that??

Quote:

Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #116
Forum Fanatic

I think most of the questions have been answered. If your question hasn't been answered, please post it again. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #117
Stazon Splitcoast

Leslie I'm glad I'm not the only one liking the new "rules" I'm feeling out numbered. J/K!!! I know it's not a popularity contest, just a means of simplifying and something that needed done.

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #118
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I've notified all my swaps now as well.
Thanks for doing this!

Quote:
As already expressed on this list by others, many may not want to sign up because it requires they provide their personal information including a phone number.

I think this will greatly impact the swaps and will only make the hostesses look bad because of those who then drop off or appear to have flaked.
Hostesses will not look bad is a swapper has failed to complete a swap. The person that didn't fulfill their swap commitment is the one that will look bad.

Quote:
ANOTHER Question:

The 10 day rule:
What about swaps that are one-on-one like PIFs and Secret Sisters? My experience has been that THOSE are the ones where they flake more and fail to send. How is the hostess going to be held accountable for that??
The hostesses in these type of cases coordinate them, the individual swappers are the ones that send out the packages to their respective recipients. The swappers should mail them out on a timely basis (within 10 days of the due date). The hostesses are not held accountable for the action/inaction of the swapper.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #119
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I just went back and checked when the change was posted. It was posted 5 days ago which means the May 18th date has been up there for 5 days. Of course, I just saw it today but it's been up there for 5 days.

I went and checked my group memberships and I'm a member now.

I know several hostesses that I always look to see what swaps they are hosting because they usually host something I really like so I join. This must be why I now have 17 swaps that I'm participating in and still looking at some others. I know. I'm nuts.

For me, I don't want to hostess a swap. Can I give someone my 5? I just thought I'd ask.

I think change is difficult for all of us. First the setup of the site changes a lot and it took some getting used to. Yes people left who were upset with the changes and other reasons, but a ton of people stayed because they really like SCS. Now we have to join a usergroup to participate/hostess swaps. It's another change. We will get used to it. It might even be just what was needed in order to weed out the "flakers" (both participant kind and hostess kind). It certainly will make the next week very interesting.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #120
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Leslie I'm glad I'm not the only one liking the new "rules" I'm feeling out numbered. J/K!!! I know it's not a popularity contest, just a means of simplifying and something that needed done.
I'm not disliking the new rules, I'm just wondering if there are ways we can compromise to make it work for everyone. Susan is a great hostess and she can handle and likes to handle having lots of swaps. So if Susan is great at it, why should she not be able to host that many swaps?
My Gallery