Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to ask that Please read the original post before getting upset or angry or tearful or anything else. It clearly states that this is Temporary, and it also clearly states that non-paying members will still have access to member galleries and technique spotlight galleries.It is not like you will never see the gallery again, try and think of the reality of running a web site of this magnitude for free, for ever, how much time and donated time from others can we honsetly expect? I know I like to be payed for my job, and I am sure that others feel the same way about the 'work' that they put into SCS.
Please be patient and try and consider everything that goes into this site.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not trying to be thick here...but its been a long day! Kind of disappointing news...can't deny that...but...am I understanding correctly that: you will not be able to upload photos to your own gallery if you are not a paying member AND my other question is: will we still be able to view our favorites even if we are not a paying member? Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a paying member but this little hobby of mine is costing me way more than it should and now, of all times!, I really have to cut back, wayyyyyy back!!!

Any light anyone can shed would be appreciated...thanks!
Stampin' Fool

Default Gallery

I am a little confused, as usual! I thought everything that is in the "member's galleries" is the same as the "Gallery". I couldn't live without the gallery. I am very "Creative challenged" so I need it. If I have to pay than I will. I would appreciate it though if someone would just explain the difference between the "Gallery" and the "Member's Gallery".
Thanks, Carol

Last edited by Carol Shafer; 09-22-2005 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Change email
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I think this is a good idea. If you think about it, you would pretty much have to buy EVERY MAGAZINE every month just for this inspiration. $25 is an EXCELLENT bargain!
Creative Crew SU Design Team, Spring 2012 CAS Design Team member
Pearl-ExPert

I totally agree that this had to be a hard decision. And I think that $25 a year is a steal! This site is a 24/7/365 idea book! If you bought just 2 of the specialty magazines out there, it would cost you $25.

I have been around SCS for a long time and have seen the site go from a "handful" of members to "tens of thousands" members and have seen many changes along the way. Including the extremely frustrating slow down of the gallery! I joined the fan club when it was first introduced and have renewed my membership! The fan club ideas alone are worth millions! Where else can you find the knowledge and talent that SCS members possess?

I appreciate everyone who works to make this site such a great place and look forward to a "faster" SCS!
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up

I think this is a great idea. I renewed my fan club subscription a couple of months ago. I can't even begin to put a dollar amount on the wealth of ideas and information I have gotten from SCS. It has been worth every penny.

$24.95 really isn't that much money. Think of how much money you spend on stamps alone. Not to mention ink, cardstock, accessories. I really don't think anyone can argue that it's not worth paying $24.95 a year for access to the SCS gallery.

Perhaps there could be a short trial period for new members to access the gallery - a week, a month? If they like what they see, then they could pay for continued access. (Maybe this is easier said than done??)

When I first became an SCS member, quite a while ago now, there had been talk about a subscription fee. I decided that I wasn't interested in paying for ideas when I could look elsewhere on the Internet. It wasn't long after that that I realized how incredible the SCS gallery is and that I would definitely pay to access it. Then Daven asked for donations to keep the site going. I happily sent my donation along, before the Fan Club was even launched. The Fan Club was the icing on the SCS cake!

Anyway, I think if anyone has been an SCS member for any amount of time, they know SCS is definitely worth paying to support. Just my $.02.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
The cost of web server & bandwidth space is ASTRONOMICAL! they have to pay for every click we make on this site! That's where the $$ goes!
exactly, well put Kim

Rubber Obsessor

I do not like the idea. You've just made everyone who isn't a fan club (paying) member, a second class citizen. If the change is made I will no longer visit this site.
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you just solved it! With 75 people viewing this thread, the gallery is really fast right now! LOL :rolleyes:

I've been a subscriber since before the DD/Fan club days. How do we know when it's time to re-subscribe?
Pearl-ExPert

I'm sorry that you've had to make this decision. I love looking in the gallery. Unfortunately, I will be unable to join the Fan Club. I happily joined last year, & boy was it worth it! but this year we've gone through serious financial reversals & I won't be able to afford it. I understand & agree with the decision though, even when I had high speed internet, the gallery was often slow. Daven & Tracey shouldn't have to dig even deeper into their pockets to sustain the site for us. I will miss browsing the gallery & uploading items, when our money problems subside (or when SSI decides I am really disabled, probably a month before I'm allowed to return to work!) I will definetly join the Fan Club again!
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up All this for only $25.00???????? ($20.00 for renewal)

I spend a lot for one magazine subscription...and get next to nothing in comparison! SCS has given me so many creative ideas, sharing and companionship...as well as hours, days, months and now years of JOY. I have also not spent as much time this last while on SCS because the response time is slow...but having worked in the computer industry I know how much work it takes behind the scenes to create this GEM...I know for some it will be hard to pay the money....BUT if I had to save for one thing a year, this site would be it. I love my magazines too, but I could do without them as long as I had SCS...the gals here seem to either share the ideas from them all...or they are the creators for the magazines anyway so often I see things here first. Looking forward to visiting your ongoing work in progress!

Soooooooooooooooooo Thanks Daven, Tracy and crew for all your hard work...I'm looking so forward to spending cozy winter months with you all!

Grace
Polyshrink Goddess

Default You've got my attention now!

My first thought was "oh no - I can't afford that!" As I read all the posts before mine, my mind has changed and I just signed up! I spend $4.05 a week for a Starbucks Latte and all it gets me is bigger hips! SCS and it's wonderful members have given me invaluable ideas and business tips. THANK YOU to each and everyone of you.

Now, instead of going to Starbucks once a week, I will only go twice a month. It will only take 6 weeks to pay for my membership. Hey - maybe now I can loose some of that darn baby weight!
Cardstock Collector

I'm ashamed to admit that I have not been a paid member. I just never took the time to do so; however, I will be joining. People don't realize the time involved in running a site like this. It has been an excellant source of ideas for me. It is a very small price to pay for the everything we have access to. I'm sorry that everyone can not appreciate the hard work that goes into this site. Thank you for keeping this site running. It is by far the best one around.
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melody Smith
I do not like the idea. You've just made everyone who isn't a fan club (paying) member, a second class citizen. If the change is made I will no longer visit this site.
That's pretty ballsy wording!

Second class citizen?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you go to a gym you don't belong to and they don't let you work out on their equipment?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you take your kids to a day care that you don't pay to use and they don't let you leave your kids there?

Anyone can become a member, you just gotta pay up! There's no second class about it! If they said you have to be hot, over 5'6" and have green eyes, that would be exclusive. Asking for money is not exclusive!

Last edited by mamakimberly; 09-22-2005 at 01:36 PM..
Cardstock Collector

Default Paid only

I can understand the need to charge a fee to use the site...could be a big mistake to charge people to upload and share their creative juices. I can bring my cards to work and share my efforts...why would I pay to do it? Someone commented that limited the size of the upload and this is an excellent idea. It might inconvenience the uploader while they find out how to make their file smaller but you can provide instructions. It's a great site and it's clearly apparent that alot of people work very hard to maintain it. I would pay a small fee to view, I would not pay to upload. Best of luck making the difficult decisions...
Crimping Master

Daven, Tracy and the rest of the 'behind the scenes' SCSers,

I can appreciate the very difficult decision that you have been faced with for a long time. I joined last Feb, after lurking for 6 months. I have to tell you that it wasn't really the Dirty Gallery that made me join (although it's WONDERFUL now that I'm on the inside). Why did I join???? BECAUSE I felt like I owed it to you to provide you money for this wonderful service!!! If you were a restaurant, you'd be 10 star because of variety, ease of use, improvements, areas to visit, organization of the site, willingness to help and share, and the list goes on.

I will continue to support your site by buying thru the Amazon button, LOVE your t-shirts and own two, will always be a faithful member because I love the gallery, love the forums, love the wonderful people that I have met because of SCS, love the people behind SCS, just plain LOVE IT!

I have become a better stamper. I have become a better demo. I have become a better upline. All of those things are probably making me more money in my business of stamping. I will continue to support this site and will recommend to my downline and chosen customers to do so as well. There goes my Paper Crafts sub and I can easily go a few months without a new magazine to save the money to 're-up' in the new year!

THANK YOU for this wonderful site. I hope that the improvements will allow me to enjoy the gallery once again like I have in the past.

Stephanie

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=8975
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default change

I am all for it Daven and Tracy!

I am a SCS addict and I WILL pay $25.00 a year when it's time to renew! I upload, I ask questions, I bug Jenn (right Jenn), I am a member of the secret sister program, I participate in VSN, I download forms and tip sheets and just READ. I laugh, I cry, I get mad, I get happy, BUT I come back... everyday.

I throw away a lot more than $25.00 a month on junk that I can do without. I am a SAHM, but when I tell my husband about the change, he'll know there is no choice... LOL SCS keeps me sane. I come here for the great company.

Some may go... if they do, so be it. They probably don't have a vested interest in splitcoast. I am here to share ideas, take great ideas and form friendships. We all know that FREE is a rare thing. When it's as good as SCS, we should be willing to contribute.

I look forward to being able to view the gallery and not have to stay up until midnight to do it!
Forum Fanatic

I think it is a GREAT idea. I've always wondered how you guys have managed being a "free" site for so long with so many members and lurkers. I think some sort of two-tiered level of fees should be a permanent change.
Thanks for all of your hard work at keeping this site so awesome!
Matboard Maniac

Mixed feelings here. I am not a Fan Club member but have been considering it for some time. I understand how you might need to charge a fee and $25 seems quite reasonable to me.

My concern is with losing out on some great talent that may not be able/willing to pay and thereby not be able to upload.

There were some great suggestions in this thread and I hope you give them serious consideration. A 2 tiered pricing structure, FREE membership for a limited time so people know what they are getting if they are new to the site.

This is a fantastic site and if I need to pay to keep seeing the talent, I more than likely will.

Mad Swapper

Smile I agree

The work that everyone puts into this site is worth the $ it costs to join.
You have my support.
Kookie Creator

Wow, what a tough decision. It was because of the splitcoast site that I finally broke down and bought a computer, and then ultimately became a SU! demo two months ago. I visit this site at least once a day, whenever I can, and have gotten so many great ideas from it. Because I'm new to computers, I am still a bit worried about Paypal but, my credit card is now right here beside me, because you guys have the most amazing site I've ever run across, and I want to be a part of it. The price is not unreasonable, and I will try very hard to convince my co-stampers to sign up also.

Thank you for all the work that you have put into creating such a marvellous site!

Diane (silverbirch)
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's an idea......if you are able you can 'gift' someone a membership to the gallery. The thread in Everyday Chit Chat, 'The Daily Chatter' we just got together and gave 2 people gift memberships just last week. A group of people can get together and pool their dollars and gift a membership to someone who may be not able to afford it.

Stazon Splitcoast

While I think some will not want to pay, I just paid for my second year as a member and think it is worth every cent!! I cannot imagine that some will think to have access to this wonderful site is not worth paying for. If you buy 3 magazines on stamping or scrapping that would pay for your subscription and I guarantee that you will see more here in one day than in all 3 of those magazines combined. To have your own SU website is $7.95 per month and this site offers so much more. I will gladly fork over my annual fee (as I just did last week) and will continue to do so. Thanks Daven and Tracy and keep up your wonderful work!!
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahsCreations
will new people be willing to join when they can't see what they're missing if they don't?
I wonder that, too.

I understand totally the need to raise cash to finance the site - which must need a VAST amount more equipment and time than it did a year ago. I think $25 is excellent value - that's the price of one single medium-sized stamp here in England.

I know this is only a temporary change at the moment, but suspect it will, by necessity, become permanent at some point in the future.

What concerns me, in a purely selfish way of course, is that I'm a foreigner so am reluctant to send a cheque off to the US but, with my ancient Apple Mac, cannot make Paypal work at all. I enjoy the global nature of this site (although I realise it's more global for me than it is for US and Canadian members) and fear this may put other international members off from joining.

I also think it would be a good idea to limit the number of uploads - I visited a site recently which only allowed 4 or 5 uploads within a 24-hour period to all its members. And, with fewer uploads, we would have more chance to see them all - sometimes the sheer size of the gallery makes it impossible to see all the samples.

Another thing is that if I was paying to see cards in the gallery, I would be disappointed if they didn't include the recipe. At the moment I find it just slightly disappointing when people leave off the info, but would possibly upgrade this to "irritated" if I was paying to view. Could certain fields be made compulsory before an upload was allowed?

Having said all this, I think the site is great and fully appreciate the amount of work and money poured into it. We have been lucky to get it for free for so long and I appreciate the fact that we've been given the opportunity to have our say in its future.

Helen
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
That's pretty ballsy wording!

Second class citizen?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you go to a gym you don't belong to and they don't let you work out on their equipment?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you take your kids to a day care that you don't pay to use and they don't let you leave their kids there?

Anyone can become a member, you just gotta pay up! There's no second class about it! If they said you have to be hot, over 5'6" and have green eyes, that would be exclusive. Asking for money is not exclusive!
Well put MamaK!!
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I was the recipient of a gift subscription. It's terrific!

I enjoy the galleries at SCS almost daily. It's been wonderful that it's been free.

Daven and Tracy do not "owe" me or anyone else access to a free site. They have provided an extraordinary service with limitless hospitality. I can't imagine the expense of time and cash that are involved. I'm also grateful for the time and dedication of the women who moderate the gallery and forums. It's obviously a labor of love.

I've often felt uncomfortable and embarrassed when reading complaints about the slowness of the site or the inconvienence of the gallery being down from time to time.

In my opinion, being offended that one might now be required to subscribe to enjoy the benefits of the site is comparable to being offended that my neighbors don't cook dinner for my family every night and mop my floors once a week.

Access to SCS is not a consitutional right - it's an amazing priviledge.

Y'all do what you think best. Heartfelt thanks for the incredible service to all of us.
Glitter Guru

I agree with what's being done...'cause something needs to be done! I joined the Fan Club just this month and glad I did so...but it drives me crazy when the gallery is so slow

I LOVE this site and I stamp more frequently as a result...it's all good!
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up whatever it takes!

This site is a tremendous bargain, and well worth paying a membership fee. I'm already a fan club member. This site is an amazing resource and, as has been already said "there is no such thing as a free lunch"! I think that limiting the size of uploads might be helpful. I also think a trial membership -- maybe a 3-month membership for $8 -- might help? Or maybe a 'preview' or 'demo' version of SCS? Please -- no advertising banners!
Thanks for all you do to inspire us!
Matboard Maniac

Location: I'm a member of the divine secret sister witness protection program!
Thumbs up I support it!

I know that Daven and Tracy have taken everything in account to make this decision. Personally, I'm a member of the Fan Club, but haven't looked at it for months, since I can't seem to get through it fast enough.

I would like to second the "secret" memberships again... I know some of us have a "little" extra to spend... even if it's only $5 if 5 people did that then 1 more person could do it.

I know this idea might be more work then it's worth, but maybe you could set up automatic billing to take the yearly fee out of someone's account monthly or maybe break it up into 3 or 4 payments?

I hope we don't lose people over this decision, I know I value the designs of others greatly!

Daven and Tracy you have inspired us all with your idea that came a monster... hope it goes back to a wonderful idea for your family's sake!
SCS member #16986
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so surprised that it has taken this long to need to make a decision concerning this. This site is sooooooooooooo terrific that I cannot believe people are upset about a small fee for complete access. I did not join for several months, but realized that I was benefiting immensly from it so I paid as soon as I could afford it. As a SAHM I know how hard it is to come up with even a little extra sometimes. But come on - you must know that it takes money to manage a wonderful site like this!!! If you cannot support this site enough for $25 a year, then maybe you need to find your inspiration elsewhere - I have no clue where you will find it for this bargain.

My vote is - way to go! My time is valuable to me and am happy to pay to spend it wisely on this site. Thank you for doing this!

mother of two stampers: Breana (1 and Nicolas (15)
my gallery
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm wondering how to maximize income and minimize losing members. Perhaps if dues were required by all, then the price could come down for all. I mean, how many people are paying $25 now? If there are only 5,000 (just pulled it out of the air), then that's an "income" of $125,000. If all 40,000 were required to pay $5, then that would be $200,000. I understand that there are some people who wouldn't want to contribute, but then perhaps they should not be able to have access. After all, this is a great resource. Even $10 is not a bad price and wouldn't make people think twice (or shouldn't anyways).

As a mathematics teacher, I know that there is a parabolic curve associated with price increases and member decreases. The trick is to find the maximum point that strikes a good balance.

Another idea...how about breaking it into 6 month intervals? Some people cannot shell out $25 at once, but they might be able to do $12.50 twice a year. Just something to consider.

As someone else posted, do we get reminders when our membership is running out? I know mine must have run out, but I though I read way back then that we would be notified.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by roo613
Well put MamaK!!
i'm glad i read mamak's post before i wrote my own ;)

thanks mamak!!!!

i have goten way more than my paid membership already. i will continue to support SCS in any way that i can. could you all imagine if this site got so overwhelming it just up and dissapeared?!?!?!
Glitter Guru

I think it's a good idea as long as it improves the speed of the gallery. Here lately, every time I try to get on I can't and it frustrates me. I finally got to see the September Fan Club suff the other morning at 3 a.m. because I was up with an allergy attack. Also, how do we know when it's time to renew our membership? Do we get a reminder?
Thanks,
Sharon
PS--You'll do a great job and it is WELL worth the money spent!
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up Great Idea...keep it goin!

Sounds like a perfect solution to me......I love this site SO MUCH I'd be willing to pay MORE if I had to. Whenever I spend time looking at all the creations here, I come away so inspired.....and stamping is my stress relief! Thank you ALL for the HARD work you do and for keeping on finding solutions!!
Melani
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

I literally just joined through paypal. Always wanted to but never thougth of it when I had the money. Just closed a large worskhop thanks to the advice and ideas from this website. Would gladly pay to help.

I must have a terribly slow dial up connection or something because I don't notice the gallery being all that slow. I do usually surf between 10p-2am, so that could have something to do with it also.

The reason my gallery is practically non-existent is that I don't have software to upload photos from my digital camera that are small enough in size and yet still clear. Perhaps we could get some "buy through SCS and get a good group rate" on some software that would help some of us with this. Someone very early on in the posts suggested smaller sized photos. Great idea!

For those of us that are demos, its good to remember that this is another business expense that you may be able to deduct. (I'm not a tax advisor, but at my house, we deduct things such as this. Consult your own CPA.)

Thanks to everyone behind the scenes as well as those who post their wonderfully creative ideas! Sure appreciate you!!

http://las.stampinup.net
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts

Daven, Tracy, and everyone else behind the scenes. I think you just made the one of the hardest decisions that could be made. I'm all for it and think it should become a permanent thing. I became a Fan Club member during the summer and I've asked myself more than once why I didn't do it sooner. I also belong to another stamping site (for demos only, and have seen a lot of SCS names there) and it's a paid membership only site.

For those who don't think the membership is worth it, a mag subscription costs a whole lot more, and how many of us really read those from front to cover??
Inking Addict

While I can see your problems on the financial side, I think you will lose a lot of talented people once you make the site pay-only. That's just my opinion. I'm actually surprised so many people are for it--my guess is those who are OK with it are already paying anyway. I don't mean to be negative or anything, because I know you have to do what you have to do, but I don't think it's a great idea.

Mostly I'm upset that non-paying members won't be able to upload anymore. I would think non-paying members' ideas would be valued equally with those who are paying. I can see restricting the viewing of the galleries, since we all view them to get something out of it (ideas, etc.). But uploading? We only upload to help others, right?

Just my 2c.
Gabfest Goddess

Thumbs up

Oh man..........can I just say WOOHOO?!!!

Daven, Tracy and the rest of the "Crew" ~ I personally have been praying for something like this to happen!!! STRICTLY because of how freakin' slow the gallery is. I am on dialup with a less than stellar connection at the best of times. I rarely comment on cards because it takes in excess of 5 minutes for it to go through!! I just can't handle the wait.....so if it puts less pressure on the server, and speeds things up, then I can't WAIT for the changes to kick in! (And uploading? Fuggedaboudit! Rarely do it anymore for the same reason.)

That being said, I'm not trying to be snaggy....I just don't HAVE the option to get high speed (not available in my remote location) so if it's gonna get "my" speed up, I'm totally for it!

That cost of 24.95 is LESS than most subscriptions to magazines...and you get a HECK of a lot more inspiration from this site than you would from a year's worth of Papercrafts! ;) I can understand that some people truly can't afford it......and I really do sympathize with you. But I agree wholeheartedly. I have done whatever I can to support this site, because it's truly one of a kind.....and to the poster who said she'd go elsewhere and find something "just as good" ~ well, I dare ya.....cuz I don't believe there's anything that could even hold a candle to this site! Of course that's just my opinion.

Go, go, go team! YAY FOR SPLITCOAST!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Kookie Creator

Okay, I have just signed up. I cannot believe how easy the Paypal was! I am hoping, however, since my email and "name" on splitcoast are slightly different, that somehow through the process, you will figure out who just paid you??

Diane M
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up I'm fine with it!

I think that it is the only way it will work. This site continies to grow all the time and doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon. Limiting who has access to the gallery is a hard choice but seems appropriate. I find myself getting frustrated when I try to comment on the cards in the gallery and look forward to improvements.Keep up the good work.
Closed Thread