Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tips on starting a Copic Collection?

I would like to start collecting Copic markers and learn how to color/blend with them. I ONLY do Christmas cards so I would definitely want to get color combos that would work for my cards.

I just don't know where to start. From the ton of videos that I've watched, I've seen so many people using the Copics in sets of 3's (light, med, dark). How do I know which set of 3's look best? For instance, I'm looking at the Copic website and they have like 35 blue shades. How do I know which 3 to pick to have a nice looking blend of light, med, dark?

Where and how do you start? I'm trying to make a list of "Christmas/Winter" colors that I would eventually need. I'm thinking reds, greens, blues, gray/blacks, yellows, tan/browns, peach/skin tones.....any others you can think of?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 295 Likes on 115 Posts

Sandy Allnock has a great reference for that, including specific colors and a hex chart: https://sandyallnock.com/copic-blending-groups/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 04:25 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sandy is great.

I also like Kelly Latevola You and Your Big Dreams
and Yana Smakula Yana Smakula – Clean & Simple Cardmaking

Kelly does beautiful work and though maybe not as good as Sandy, she is what I would call "advanced" in Copic use. She mentions color groups and has suggestions about which colors work.

Yana is what I call "intermediate" she always states that she is not the best when it comes to Copics, but she does really nice work with a very small collection of markers. She has a video and color chart on her blog and since I really like the colors she uses, I added those same ones to my collection.

Have fun! I really enjoy using Copics and love to practice with them.
Also, Online Card Classes has a couple of Copic classes if you want to invest in those. They have some practice charts for you to download and go through Copics step-by-step.

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 12-31-2018 at 04:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

This is a chart I came across on Pinterest that was created by Rhea at Passionate Paper Creations. They are her "go to" colors (or they were whenever she created this.) I've tried out most of these combos and they really are wonderful. I think they have all you would need for Christmas cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks so much!!! I'll look into all of them

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Where are the cheapest places to buy the Copics?

And which "type" should a beginner start with? I noticed there's different types.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased mine from MarkerPOP. Very good service and prices. I had to return a few duplicates and the process was very easy. I have the sketch markers, which are oblong not round, so they won't roll off my desk. I have seen people who have both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

I have both the Ciao (round) and Sketch markers. It's the same ink, just in a different capsule. The Ciao are less expensive, however they hold less ink and do not have the marker letter/number on the end of the cap. They are refillable if you find that you enjoy coloring with them and it (eventually) starts to dry. The Sketch markers are more per marker, but hold more ink, are marked, etc. The barrel shape is oval.

I tend to purchase through Dick Blick. Currently, the Ciao are $3.59 each and the Sketch are $5.24 each. Orders of $35 or more always ship free.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased mine all from Blick Art Materials as well. They offer free shipping on orders of $35 or more.

To fl_beachbum, thank you for sharing Rhea Weigand's go to color pallete. Somehow I missed that one on pinterest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, just a note about prices in case some weren't aware - Copic increased their prices by $1.00 per marker effective today. Refills were increased, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Scrapbookpal.com still has copic sketch for $5.24 and free shipping at $25. Shipping is nice and fast. Debbiedesigns.typepad.com has a post - choosing Copic Markers part 2 of 2; and debbiehodge.com has a post - the Copic Markers you need in your starter set - sorry I don’t know how to post links. The former article shows each blending group and describes them and what they’re useful for; the latter post describes the colors and how she uses them. I used both of these to help me choose my first markers and get an understanding of copics. Marianne walker’s « I like markers » site is really good too.

OT - I also answered your query about the envelope punch board and gave you bad info- like I said - I always get that thing wrong before I get it right. My apologies. I decided I wanted to try to answer more questions on scs this year as I have learned so much from so many others here. I even made an envelope with scrap paper to make sure I got it right - but I still find it tricky! Anyway - I’m glad you’ve been asking lots of questions lately because they’re things I’m interested in too.

Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 01:14 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSStammperView Post
Scrapbookpal.com still has copic sketch for $5.24 and free shipping at $25. Shipping is nice and fast. Debbiedesigns.typepad.com has a post - choosing Copic Markers part 2 of 2; and debbiehodge.com has a post - the Copic Markers you need in your starter set - sorry I don’t know how to post links. The former article shows each blending group and describes them and what they’re useful for; the latter post describes the colors and how she uses them. I used both of these to help me choose my first markers and get an understanding of copics. Marianne walker’s « I like markers » site is really good too.

OT - I also answered your query about the envelope punch board and gave you bad info- like I said - I always get that thing wrong before I get it right. My apologies. I decided I wanted to try to answer more questions on scs this year as I have learned so much from so many others here. I even made an envelope with scrap paper to make sure I got it right - but I still find it tricky! Anyway - I’m glad you’ve been asking lots of questions lately because they’re things I’m interested in too.

Stefany
I finally figured out the punch board. You only need to put your paper to the "punch measurement" once, then just line your score line for the other 3 sides. Was really easy once I did that.

Reply With Quote Likes