Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home made alcohol inks

Can alcohol inks be made from the reinkers and 91%alcohol? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

DIY Craft Supplies- Make Your Own Alcohol Inks | FeltMagnet

Here is one DIY I found. They use Sharpie markers instead of reinkers though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Copic re-inkers work but it’s $$. Depending on what’s used, plus cost of empty bottles if storing, the price may vary so sometimes could be cost efficient to buy alcohol inks when on sale - $2.33 a bottle in this shop that iamvics posted: https://onlyonelifecreations.com/col...eid=bb4c4719e8

joggles.com sometimes has good sales on it too, with very low cost shipping - can be worth getting on their email list for alerts.

I hope you post what you end up using and the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

Wonder if this would be a great way to use up some of those markers that are dried out, but still have plenty of dry ink left in the barrels?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
DIY Craft Supplies- Make Your Own Alcohol Inks | FeltMagnet

Here is one DIY I found. They use Sharpie markers instead of reinkers though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Wonder if this would be a great way to use up some of those markers that are dried out, but still have plenty of dry ink left in the barrels?

I followed up on your thought and went looking. The information I found was to put the uncapped pen tip into a capful of alcohol until you could see wisps of color, then take the pen out of the alcohol and cap it until it dried out some (15 minutes or so). The same article said it should work for water-based pens, too, but substituting water for the alcohol. I plan to try it on some of my Spectrums so I don't have to toss them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I followed up on your thought and went looking. The information I found was to put the uncapped pen tip into a capful of alcohol until you could see wisps of color, then take the pen out of the alcohol and cap it until it dried out some (15 minutes or so). The same article said it should work for water-based pens, too, but substituting water for the alcohol. I plan to try it on some of my Spectrums so I don't have to toss them...
Why would you toss your Spectrums? Aren't they refillable? I've bought refills for several of mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Why would you toss your Spectrums? Aren't they refillable? I've bought refills for several of mine.

To be brutally honest, I don't love them enough to spend the $$ to refill them. I'd rather replace them with Prismacolor markers or Shinhan Touch Twins...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a bunch of stampin up dye ink re-inkers and they can be used to color specialty paper similar to alcohol inks. I learned these techniques years ago when I first started this hobby, back in 2003. Try googling dye ink techniques or searching youtube. One of the techniques is called "marbling" this does use gold pigment ink too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

Please let us know if this works on the spectrum. I have them too and no refills (as of yet)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #10  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I made my own alcohol inks years ago, using cheap permanent markers. The results were hit and miss, with some colours going well and some pretty bad. I bought cheap plastic bottles to store them in. The quality was definitely not as good as the real thing, but that was back when I was just trying it out. Since then, I've bought proper alcohol inks (and applicators coz I tried diy'ing that too). I'd say have a go, but don't waste too much money on buying ingredients and storage when the real products aren't very expensive these days...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiPView Post
I made my own alcohol inks years ago, using cheap permanent markers. The results were hit and miss, with some colours going well and some pretty bad. I bought cheap plastic bottles to store them in. The quality was definitely not as good as the real thing, but that was back when I was just trying it out. Since then, I've bought proper alcohol inks (and applicators coz I tried diy'ing that too). I'd say have a go, but don't waste too much money on buying ingredients and storage when the real products aren't very expensive these days...

Thanks for your input....I have seen making alcohol inks using Rit dye and wondered if that worked...I also thought the cost of buying already made was probably the best route. Has anyone used the RIT dye method?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I have had good luck with food coloring gel. I use a tiny amount of warm water to dissolve the gel before adding 91% rubbing alcohol. I love the bright colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

When you think about it the pigment base for all designer brand reinkers and sprays has to come from a source that is mixed with other ingredients to acheive desired outcome. We mix pigments into embossing paste, gel mediums, gesso and dye ribbons, paper, embellishments, etc.

I plan on using my set of Dr PH Martin's india inks to make spray inks with water which are permanent when dry, as well as with alcohol rather than using markers, re-inkers, acrylic paints, crushed watercolors, etc. (I've tried them all and ended up tossing them for one reason on another) In addition, if you have powder pigments (Brushos, Colorbursts, etc) try mixing them with alcohol. https://youtu.be/6f7fN6jdQAo
Reply With Quote Likes