Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Copic Marker Knockoffs

I've been seeing some wonderful projects on this site, using Copic markers. Has anyone tried any of the many knockoffs? If so, which one? and why? Do I need alcohol markers for shading?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

A lot of the "knockoffs" have been around as long or longer than Copics (Prismacolor, Shinhan Touch Twin, Letraset), so the term is a little misleading. If the intent of the question is about some of the lower-priced options out there, I can definitely speak to that. ;)

I have a handful of Prismacolors that are easily superior to the lower-priced markers that I own, so I'll just say that first. BUT, I have all of the original Spectrum Noir colors (they recently added 48 more), and all of the Bic MarkIts. I use them all interchangeably, and am satisfied enough with what I'm able to produce.

The biggest difference you will find is more in the paper than the marker, in my opinion. Many people use Neenah Solar Crest or "blending card" made specifically for the brand (Copic or Spectrum Noir). Recently I read a description of a card I LOVED by Susieaustralia where she mentioned that she had printed a digi on plain printer paper and used her Copics on it and that it blended like a dream. I tested that out with my Spectrums and she's right - better than any of the cardstocks I've tried.

As far as "needing" alcohol markers for shading, the answer is "it depends". It depends on the look you're going for, the medium that you're comfortable with, etc. I used the Gamsol Magic technique for shading for years before getting any alcohol markers, and I enjoy doing watercolor, which also allows you to shade.

Hopefully I've helped answer your question at least a little. I'm sure others have opinions on this that can weigh in as well...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 08-12-2017 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Eliminate a sentence from the Department of Redundancy Dept.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm sure others have opinions on this that can weigh in as well...
Sue, I liked your edit reason.

Cher, I have spectrum noirs in addition to copics. They're... fine in terms of my not-too-advanced skills. I find that the spectrum noir colors are all more intense than copics, even the supposedly pale colors. Which is fine, you just have to expect that, so I usually have my color chart for my markers out when I am coloring.

One thing to realize is that if you really want to get in to shading with these markers, you do need ones that are close to each other in terms of shade (i.e., light sky blue, medium sky blue, dark sky blue). Copic tries to help with a numbering system, though it's not 100% accurate, IMO. Not sure how the other brands do it.

I mention this because while it's tempting to buy big 36-packs of markers, there generally are a lot of COLORS but not a lot of BLENDING groups, so if you start off with one of the big packs, you might be disappointed in what you can do.

But even if you don't blend, if you work reasonably quickly, I do like that alcohol markers generally won't show your brushstrokes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Sue, I liked your edit reason.

Cher, I have spectrum noirs in addition to copics. They're... fine in terms of my not-too-advanced skills. I find that the spectrum noir colors are all more intense than copics, even the supposedly pale colors. Which is fine, you just have to expect that, so I usually have my color chart for my markers out when I am coloring.

One thing to realize is that if you really want to get in to shading with these markers, you do need ones that are close to each other in terms of shade (i.e., light sky blue, medium sky blue, dark sky blue). Copic tries to help with a numbering system, though it's not 100% accurate, IMO. Not sure how the other brands do it.

I mention this because while it's tempting to buy big 36-packs of markers, there generally are a lot of COLORS but not a lot of BLENDING groups, so if you start off with one of the big packs, you might be disappointed in what you can do.

But even if you don't blend, if you work reasonably quickly, I do like that alcohol markers generally won't show your brushstrokes.
Good point on the "blending groups" - that's exactly why I have a handful of Prismas...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you, helpful information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

If you can get to try out any different brands, do have a go (some stores may have trial markers or you could ask around crafty friends if you have anyone local). What suits one person doesn't necessarily suit the next. Nibs, barrel shape and ability to refill are all factors that might influence your decision. Even within one brand there can be different marker styles so it's worth experimenting if you can.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for your input. Appreciate all the assistance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a hodge-podge assortment of markers, some Copics, Spectrum Noirs, Shinhan Touch Twin, and Sharpies and Bics. I use them all interchangeably with each other. I'm pretty simple in my coloring, and don't do a lot of elaborate shading, so they work fine for my purposes.

I recently bought this set of 50 markers, which came in a really nice canvas case. I liked them so well that I bought another set for my artistic granddaughter for Christmas.

Here is a link if you'd like to check them out. They get good reviews:

Robot Check

The link works - don't know why it shows up with that funny name.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Aside from quality - which I can't speak much to - is color organization or system. What sets Copics apart in my brain is how they organize colors. They have color families, and a logical system for shading. That appeals hugely to some people and others couldn't care less. I happen to like it because I studied color in a particular way, and the Copic charts dovetail nicely.

Here's the page with Copic charts: Downloadable Resources | Copic

The color wheel is my go-to. They also have blank charts to complete:https://imaginationinternationalinc....wheel_2014.pdf

I have Sharpie markers that I needed for a project before I went to a Copics class and bought some Copics, and the quality is definitely not the same.

Caveat: I'm not a big colorer. Sometimes I need to color images or parts of images, but I never color in coloring books, whole pages, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I have a hodge-podge assortment of markers, some Copics, Spectrum Noirs, Shinhan Touch Twin, and Sharpies and Bics. I use them all interchangeably with each other. I'm pretty simple in my coloring, and don't do a lot of elaborate shading, so they work fine for my purposes.

I recently bought this set of 50 markers, which came in a really nice canvas case. I liked them so well that I bought another set for my artistic granddaughter for Christmas.

Here is a link if you'd like to check them out. They get good reviews:

Robot Check

The link works - don't know why it shows up with that funny name.
Do you find that those give different shades of the same color ( like the previous post mentioned is an important factor)? I just want to use them for blending when coloring animal stamped images (browns and grays) and flowers ( 2-3 shades of bright colors). I hate getting brushstrokes from plain markers. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepymom33View Post
Do you find that those give different shades of the same color ( like the previous post mentioned is an important factor)? I just want to use them for blending when coloring animal stamped images (browns and grays) and flowers ( 2-3 shades of bright colors). I hate getting brushstrokes from plain markers. Thanks
I don't do much elaborate shading - my coloring is pretty simple, usually a darker color outside, and lighter shade inside, so I can't really answer your question about shading.

I'd suggest you look at the product pictures on Amazon. You can see the colors of the markers pretty well. It looks like there are several different shades of most of the colors, and quite a few different grays and browns. Also, read through the reviews. People have posted pictures of coloring they've done with the marker set.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that�s the way I�ll color with them also. I just want to use them on little critter type stamps ( reindeer, hedgehogs, deer, pigs, etc) and flowers mostly. I did see that Joann�s had a pack of 6 or so of each color family on sale 40% off reg price of 14.99. I might start with those. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepymom33View Post
I think that�s the way I�ll color with them also. I just want to use them on little critter type stamps ( reindeer, hedgehogs, deer, pigs, etc) and flowers mostly. I did see that Joann�s had a pack of 6 or so of each color family on sale 40% off reg price of 14.99. I might start with those. Thank you.
If those are the Spectrum Noir markers, I have several sets of them and like them just fine. You can get started with them, and then branch out if you really like coloring.

Reply With Quote Likes