Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A question about Infusions from a clearly crazy person.

One of the eight I ordered came with no styo thingy in side the cover. Lemoncello.

Am I the only person who would be concerned about this? Like, did someone return it so it isn't new? I can't think why else it would be missing the thingy.

If I am being crazy, you should tell me. Sometimes I need to be told "Robin, just cut it out, you're being crazy."
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um no, not crazy. I notice stuff like that too and wonder the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,909 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I bought a roll of double sided adhesive. I didn't notice until I got home that the roll had been open and was much smaller than a current roll! I think they use it in class and then put it out to sell. I wouldn't mind IDF they'd say that and markmthe price down. I once bought a bottle of tombow liquid that had the protective plastic off. I think the same thing happened. Used it in a class and then sell it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 03:47 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I think I figured it out. I lined them all up (I bought 8 of them) and clearly there is less in the bottle that was missing the styro insert. Obviously used and returned or used by someone from where I bought it. I will email them, and I'm sure they will replace. It's Frantic Stamper. They're a great vendor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad you figured it out. Hopefully you will get it replaced.I recently got Wink of Stella for the first time from Michaels. I was really excited but when I got it out of the packaging, I saw the liquid was only 1/4th of the barrel. It had the black circle thing (that needs to be removed) so I am not sure if it was a defective piece or if they really do sell a teeny tiny amount for $7-8. Have to say I was really disappointed by the quantity I got.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

And what are Infusions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
I am glad you figured it out. Hopefully you will get it replaced.I recently got Wink of Stella for the first time from Michaels. I was really excited but when I got it out of the packaging, I saw the liquid was only 1/4th of the barrel. It had the black circle thing (that needs to be removed) so I am not sure if it was a defective piece or if they really do sell a teeny tiny amount for $7-8. Have to say I was really disappointed by the quantity I got.

Hi, Aastha! They really do sell teeny, tiny amounts. However, I found a wonderful refill for the Wink of Stella brushes: Iridescent Medium for Watercolors; mine is made by Windsor and Newton. I refilled my brush with a dropper and it is working great. Make sure you shake the iridescent medium well before you fill the brush, and make sure you get the iridescent medium made for watercolors. (They make it for acrylic paints; that medium would be too thick.) I got mine at Michael's or Hobby Lobby and you can use a coupon. You'll have enough to last for years!

And I'm wondering what Infusions are also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2017, 04:23 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Well, it got figured out, kind of interestingly. I emailed Fran at Frantic Stamper, who is da bomb, and told her about the missing styro insert and sent a pic of the bottles lined up with less in the Lemoncello. She emailed me back and said that she would gladly send me another, but in terms of the styro missing and the level of the product, she had checked her records and had had no returns of that product so not possible that someone had bought, used and returned it. She also said that she got these kinds of questions all the time - things missing labels or inserts or all sorts of stuff, that during the manufacturing process stuff goes wrong sometimes. And that the jars were filled by weight, so I might get another Lemoncello and find the level of that color was the same as the one I had. But it was my choice entirely, she would do whatever I wanted.

I decided to just keep the one I had. I believe what she told me. She is exceptionally accommodating, always has been. So I left it as is.

I really can't say enough good things about Frantic Stamper. Great vendor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I looked them up on Frantic Stampers site:
Infusions are a water reactive dry dye stain suitable for fabric and paper. The two-part formulation has 2 different crystals which react with the water at two different rates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I resisted these pigment powders - didn't buy a single Brusho. But Infusions contain walnut pigments as well as their colors, so they can give a kind of browny, vintagy, different look than something like Brushos.

Besides, I watched a video where someone stamped an image with versamark, sprinkled the powder on it, used a brush to gently tamp it into the image and then spritzed and the effect was smashing. You can do the same by putting Versamark through a stencil.

Anything Paper Artsy - I'm interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

I am curious about the iridescent medium. Do you add it full strength or does it need to be diluted with something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Are you referring to the Paper Artsy Glazes? They have seven of them: matt, gloss, satin, crackle, pearl, metallic and frosting. Each has it's own properties. You use them much like any liquid medium. You can work with Infusions using glazes instead of water, but it's a different process. You have to use a brush, but it creates a lovely effect.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

No actually I was referring to post 7, refilling the wink of stella with iridescent medium. I was wondering about full strength or does it need to be mixed with something. But, thanks for the video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Duh. I guess I should read all the posts on my own thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydView Post
No actually I was referring to post 7, refilling the wink of stella with iridescent medium. I was wondering about full strength or does it need to be mixed with something. But, thanks for the video.
Use it full strength. I actually cannot tell one bit of difference between a Wink of Stella pen with the original solution, and one filled with the iridescent medium. I tried it on several types of paper and on top of several different inks. Iridescent medium for watercolors is the same consistency as a shimmer spray - it's very "liquidy".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Use it full strength. I actually cannot tell one bit of difference between a Wink of Stella pen with the original solution, and one filled with the iridescent medium. I tried it on several types of paper and on top of several different inks. Iridescent medium for watercolors is the same consistency as a shimmer spray - it's very "liquidy".
Would Glimmer Mist work? It is water based.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Would Glimmer Mist work? It is water based.
I think it might work. However the iridescent medium is not transparent in the bottle like Glimmer Mist is; it has a grayish cast to it which I think is the result of the tiny mica particles. However, that gray cast does not appear on your artwork - it comes out clear. For the record, I have only used the clear Wink of Stella pens.

Shake your Glimmer Mist, stick a fine paint brush in it and try it. That's the only way to tell if it's going to perform like you want it to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Thank you, Linda. I'll give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes