Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #801  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Some images of my TH stamping woes

The first impression was pretty bad. But even in the second, I had trouble getting the images to fill in. Maybe I need to consition the stamps? Use foam? Maybe my Memento Tuxedo black ink is tired and uncooperative?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stampin' Fool

And I also find it awkward that it opens at the top. I usually have more room to the side.

Also, I like to stamp in the bottom left corner which doesn't work with the TH platform.

Thanks for listening to my complaining : )
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
And I also find it awkward that it opens at the top. I usually have more room to the side.

Also, I like to stamp in the bottom left corner which doesn't work with the TH platform.

Thanks for listening to my complaining : )
It seems as thought many people turn it and open it from the side. You see it in videos too. I usually do. It meant shifting how I work a bit due to size. Bonus: that can give you a bottom left corner. : )
Stampin' Fool

Bjeans -

That's very true, and I do find myself turning it to the side a lot to open and close.

I also could clean up my space : )
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Bjeans -

That's very true, and I do find myself turning it to the side a lot to open and close.

I also could clean up my space : )
But I'm sure that our RDWS* is due to sideways gravity... right?!

*Rapidly Dwindling Workspace Syndrome
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no perfect tool. Although I have not yet had any stamp not stamp on my TH platform, I expect there will be those that will require adjustments.

Now if the new versions (or some of them) are shipping with some sort of defect, that's different. How are you doing Craftwise? I hate to think you are struggling with this.
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do better on both my Misti and my TH if I don't stamp a bunch of images at the same time. I don't know if the thickness of one stamp affects the thinness of the stamp next to it or not. I mentioned on another thread that during unmounting from woodblocks I found that different stamps had different heights of the actual rubber, not just the foam backing. I'm not sure if there are varying depths of clear. Anyway I do better if I stamp one image at a time since the height of one stamp may affect all those near it. This is not to say that people who are having image issues with their platforms may not have a tool malfunction as well.
Glitter Guru

Hoboken Paper - did you stamp those all at once? I don't get it. Are these stamps that stamp well using a block or the Misti? Or are any of them problem stamps?

Like I said. Don't get it.

Yes, I always use mine turned. The top-hinge design might have been to differentiate it, but I secretly think Tim did it that way because he works on a big honking island crafting table, where finding space depth-wise would not be a problem and would leave all the space to both sides of the platform clear.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Hoboken Paper - did you stamp those all at once? I don't get it. Are these stamps that stamp well using a block or the Misti? Or are any of them problem stamps?

Yes, I always use mine turned. The top-hinge design might have been to differentiate it, but I secretly think Tim did it that way because he works on a big honking island crafting table, where finding space depth-wise would not be a problem and would leave all the space to both sides of the platform clear.
And he has minions.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I do better on both my Misti and my TH if I don't stamp a bunch of images at the same time. I don't know if the thickness of one stamp affects the thinness of the stamp next to it or not. I mentioned on another thread that during unmounting from woodblocks I found that different stamps had different heights of the actual rubber, not just the foam backing. I'm not sure if there are varying depths of clear. Anyway I do better if I stamp one image at a time since the height of one stamp may affect all those near it. This is not to say that people who are having image issues with their platforms may not have a tool malfunction as well.
Some clear stamps I own have different thicknesses. Ditto one at a time. Rarely, if stamps are from the same set - say a sentiment that's in two parts - I'll stamp two at the same time.
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RachaelRose I am sorry I missed this....I have so much to do that I likely will not be getting to my computer forums for a few days, uhg lol.

I have a ton of swaps due and will finally begin them tomorrow

I am so torn about this platform. I really ran it through the paces a few days and I am more inclined to return it more than keep it :( I am SO so sad about it either way.

True, some stamps do stamp better than others, even in the same *spot*, but it is soooo inconsistent that it is frustrating. It happens in quite a few spots. I have not talked to Tonic YET...but I will later in the week.

I will be missing all this week but will post and check in on the weekend

Thank you so much for asking! I wish everyone had a great platform...I love hearing how Beth's is working so well so all is not wrong with them.

Have a super week and talk with you and everyone next weekend! LOL

Sherri L

Quote:

There'sno perfect tool. Although I have not yet had any stamp not stamp on my TH platform, I expect there will be those that will require adjustments.

Now if the new versions (or some of them) are shipping with some sort of defect, that's different. How are you doing Craftwise? I hate to think you are struggling with this.
Rubber Obsessor

LOL...so very very true!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Andhe has minions.
Crimping Master

From Craftwise"True, some stamps do stamp better than others, even in the same *spot*, but it is soooo inconsistent that it is frustrating. It happens in quite a few spots. I have not talked to Tonic YET...but I will later in the week.

Thank you so much for asking! I wish everyone had a great platform...I love hearing how Beth's is working so well so all is not wrong with them."

So sorry this worked out like this. We all had so much fun anticipating this tool. That's a big disappointment.
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I've used my platform a few times and can say, no, my sentiments don't stamp perfectly all the time, and some stamp better than others. But, I had that problem with both MISTIs, as well. I can only comment on sentiments as that's all I've worked with so far.

What I definitely like better is that it feels more substantial. I don't feel like I have to use kid gloves with it, like I do my MISTIs (especially the one that developed all those fine cracks for no reason) . For the sentiments that did stamp perfectly the first time, I just had to close the top and open it right up again, no pressing. I also like the open sides. I usually forget to add my personal marking stamp to the back of my cards. I did it again today but had no problem opening the card, laying it on the platform with the card front sticking out and stamping the marking. I've messed up a few cards trying to do that with the MISTI.

What I don't like is how the top comes down on an angle and one side gets smooshed more than the other. That's a bit weird and did show more in the sentiments I had to stamp twice. I think the hinges should've been made just a smidgen higher. I'll try to play with some actual images over the weekend to see how they stamp.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

And, this is why we need different positioners. Something for everyone's needs. Not lawsuits.
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Yes, I stamped them all at once. I love to use my stamp positioner to create my index sheets.

I still use my clear blocks for most of my regular stamping.
Glitter Guru

Then it makes sense that you might have some problems getting all of them to register perfectly, doesn't it? It seems like it would to me, it's a large area to apply pressure to, and if the stamps aren't all from the same set they can vary in depth slightly. Did your Misti do a better job doing them all at once?
Matboard Maniac

Sometimes it does not take much to throw off consistency with any stamp positioner.I have to move the magnets around on my Misti for some stamps to get a fully stamped image.
I do monogrammed note cards using two letters at same time. I think that sometimes causes a problem.....maybe one stamp is a hair thicker than other.
Most issues happen with polymer stamps.
Stamping was simpler when all I used was rubber on wood blocks.
Crimping Master

Filling any of my positioners with a bunch of stamps does not work for me. Maybe it works a little better with the Misti because the lid is much more bendy and responsive to pressure. I still get poor images close to the bumpers and close to the magnets on the Misti. It gets worse with more than one stamp. I think all these positioners have some limitations but they sure beat me trying to repeat stamp by eyeballing.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Yes, I stamped them all at once. I love to use my stamp positioner to create my index sheets.

I still use my clear blocks for most of my regular stamping.
Aha! Calling Donut! Ah, here he is... Donut, take your cute little beak and remove the oodles of stamps and give them back to your mom just one or two at a time. She still can quickly get a full index page but will get better images.

Good bird.

Beth
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I am SO disappointed with the Tim Holtz stamp platform. It doesn't give a solid impression with clear or cling stamps. I had to place a piece of foam beneath the cardstock ( defeating the purpose of buying it). I never have a problem using my MISTI or mini MISTI.
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post
I am SO disappointed with the Tim Holtz stamp platform. It doesn't give a solid impression with clear or cling stamps. I had to place a piece of foam beneath the cardstock ( defeating the purpose of buying it). I never have a problem using my MISTI or mini MISTI.
I hope you will be able to return it for a refund. I would be unhappy having to add foam. My experience has been the opposite. Mine stamps better than either of my Mistis. These things seem to be all over the place. Perhaps we are not there yet in the final evolution of stamp positioners.
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not going to try and return it, it's just going into my bin of useless items that I don't have the heart to throw out (because I spent hard earned cash on) but will never use again.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I'm not going to try and return it, it's just going into my bin of useless items that I don't have the heart to throw out (because I spent hard earned cash on) but will never use again.
Why wouldn't you contact Tonic to rectify the problem if it's useless?
Rubber Obsessor

In the past, I have found it extremely difficult to return items that are defective, even when I've included pictures. Not all companies of course, some are great about it. Here is the return policy from where I bought it. RETURNS & RETURN AUTHORIZATION:
Returns are accepted, postage paid by customer, within 12 days with Return Authorization only. Packages must have the return authorization code written on the outside of the package. Items sent without return authorization will be refused and returned to sender. Make sure to ship your product with tracking or confirmation. We are not responsible if your package is lost in transit.
Returned items must be unopened and unused. If items are found to be opened or used they will not be accepted. You can have them returned back to you at your cost. Used or opened items not paid for return will be disposed of after 10 days.
If we send an incorrect item, we need to be notified within 10 days of receipt of package. Items sent in error that have been opened by the customer will not be accepted for return/exchange. Please make sure your items are correct before opening.
All returns are subject to a 20% restocking fee. No restocking fee will be charged for exchanges, but the customer is responsible for paying the shipping costs back to us and a store credit will be issued for the amount paid for the returned item(s).

Last edited by dancingpurplecat; 08-17-2017 at 06:22 PM..
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Sometimes it does not take much to throw off consistency with any stamp positioner.I have to move the magnets around on my Misti for some stamps to get a fully stamped image.
I do monogrammed note cards using two letters at same time. I think that sometimes causes a problem.....maybe one stamp is a hair thicker than other.
Most issues happen with polymer stamps.
Stamping was simpler when all I used was rubber on wood blocks.
Instead of magnets, I sometimes use Removable adhesive (Tombow) on the back of the card. Usually when I'm stamping a large background stamp. It holds it in place and it's easily removable.
Crimping Master

Tonic has a good customer service record. If I have a problem with a Tonic product no matter where I bought it I contact Tonic. You can email them and attach pictures. They might try to troubleshoot with you as a first step.

That's a very tough return policy that was quoted. Wow.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

In the past, I have found it extremely difficult to return items that are defective, even when I've included pictures. Not all companies of course, some are great about it. Here is the return policy from where I bought it. RETURNS & RETURN AUTHORIZATION:
Returns are accepted, postage paid by customer, within 12 days with Return Authorization only. Packages must have the return authorization code written on the outside of the package. Items sent without return authorization will be refused and returned to sender. Make sure to ship your product with tracking or confirmation. We are not responsible if your package is lost in transit.
Returned items must be unopened and unused. If items are found to be opened or used they will not be accepted. You can have them returned back to you at your cost. Used or opened items not paid for return will be disposed of after 10 days.
If we send an incorrect item, we need to be notified within 10 days of receipt of package. Items sent in error that have been opened by the customer will not be accepted for return/exchange. Please make sure your items are correct before opening.
All returns are subject to a 20% restocking fee. No restocking fee will be charged for exchanges, but the customer is responsible for paying the shipping costs back to us and a store credit will be issued for the amount paid for the returned item(s).
Which store it?

I agree with Mary; contact Tonic directly.
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Unless I'm completely missing it (totally possible!), this return/exchange policy doesn't address defective items.

Since its probably close to that company's initial 12 day period for normal returns and others have had good experiences dealing with Tonic directly, I'd try that route. I would think with this whole lawsuit thing, Tonic would be eager to ensure customers only have positive experiences with the platform.

I'm so sorry you got such a bad product. Definitely disappointing after all the anticipation. :(
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Lol the saga of the travelling Tonic Platform....I resisted for about 20 mins a while back before I ordered it from SSS, they shipped it, I was stalking the tracking website like a teenager girl crush....and there it sat, and it moved closer to Canada...I got excited...I got deflated ...it was moving further away from Canada.....poor Tiffany at SSS had to deal with a distraught Jukie, why oh why had my platform (and other goodies) been sent back....issue with the address...waaaaaaaaaaah:oops::shock:, paid the postage again....and here I sit waiting, waiting, oh platform tonic where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Gallery Gazer

(This response concerns dancingpurplecat's experience and also stamping multiple stamps.)

Maybe it was damaged somehow.

That store's policy is a good reminder to me to read return policies before purchasing from any store. Their policy is the least consumer-friendly one I've seen, and there are too many great shops that will simply take you at your word or request a simple photo, and have no restocking fee.

By the way, I put half a dozen stamps from three sets in my Misti at one time and then my Tonic. Neither one could stamp all six well at the same time.

My take? I think we - or at least I - are used to the minor quirks of the Misti. Like stamping too close to the edge makes it hard to get a good impression. And we're just discovering the Tonic, so looking at it like under a microsope. Sort of like when a room is first painted you notice where the color meets the ceiling the line isn't perfect, and then you forget and don't see it any more. : )

Last edited by bjeans; 08-18-2017 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Unclear which posts I was responding to
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Lol the saga of the travelling Tonic Platform....I resisted for about 20 mins a while back before I ordered it from SSS, they shipped it, I was stalking the tracking website like a teenager girl crush....and there it sat, and it moved closer to Canada...I got excited...I got deflated ...it was moving further away from Canada.....poor Tiffany at SSS had to deal with a distraught Jukie, why oh why had my platform (and other goodies) been sent back....issue with the address...waaaaaaaaaaah:oops::shock:, paid the postage again....and here I sit waiting, waiting, oh platform tonic where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Poor you! Well if you want to travel to Virginia, you can use mine. And sight-see in DC if you like. ; )
Glitter Guru

I think expectations have been almost unreasonably heightened with this tool. The Misti had its fair share of problems in the beginning but being able to restamp precisely was such a novelty that people seemed more inclined to forgive them. Then there was the wait (months and months of waiting and some are still waiting!). And also because this is a Tim Holtz product and TH has a (well deserved) rep for inventing clever things and making cleverer versions of things.

So we have put this tool under a microscope in a way the Misti never was. Or so it seems to me.
Crimping Master

Rachelrose and bjeans I really think that is true. I took my Misti quirks in stride since it was the only product out there. We may not be there yet in terms of stamp platform perfection. There also may not be a way to get a great image with multiple stamps of varying heights loaded on to any platform. There is so much room to load bunches on the TH that it is tempting to do that.

I continue to use my mini Misti more than I thought I would. The TH is big and it's heavy and it's easy to find a clear space on my desk for my mini. Maybe a year from now we'll be back stalking our mailboxes for the latest and greatest. Jukie I feel your pain.
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, I learned my lesson on that. I will read the return policiy from now on.
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Which store it?

I agree with Mary; contact Tonic directly.
Hallmark Scrapbook
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Yes, I learned my lesson on that. I will read the return policiy from now on.
Tonic could make it right, plus as fifiwesfan pointed out, the policy does not mention defective or broken items.
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Tonic has a good customer service record. If I have a problem with a Tonic product no matter where I bought it I contact Tonic. You can email them and attach pictures. They might try to troubleshoot with you as a first step.

That's a very tough return policy that was quoted. Wow.
That's a good idea, I'm sure they will be hearing from many people. I will be reading return policies from now on
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Tonic could make it right, plus as fifiwesfan pointed out, the policy does not mention defective or broken items.
I may contact Hallmark and see what they have to say. Maybe they have had similar complaints by now.
Crimping Master

Quote:

I may contact Hallmark and see what they have to say. Maybe they have had similar complaints by now.
I agree. I'm sure you are not the first. It's not like it's a bottle of glue and you want to return it half used. I think they should replace it no charge or allow you to ship it back for free.