Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Exactly. I'm a tiny bit in awe of people who can mentally catalogue that way. If I had to think of manufacturer, MFT would stand for My Flawed Brain.
: D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Evernote lets you put "tags" with each note--so you can put a tag for both birthday and candle and cake and whatever else is in the stamp set or whatever else would remind you to use that set.

For example, quite frequently, with deer or other wildlife sets, I will also include the tag "masculine" so that I can do a wildlife-themed birthday, thinking of you, or other type of masculine card when I need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brenda......thanks for all the info about Evernote....I just downloaded it. Now to get using it, once and for all!!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 01:22 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use another Microsoft free tool for my images- the Clipping Tool. I find an image of my stamp set on line, use the tool to make a copy, then store that.

This is a typical page of mine- all stamps by one maker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 AM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Love reading this thread!
My big fails happened a long time ago.
I am mainly a Stampin Up gal. Probably 90%.
Years ago, I wanted to organize my cardstock. I bought two of those plastic filing bins with the handle on top. I got a box of file folders, wrote a color on each tab, and put the cardstock in the folders. I organized by color families, which I knew by heart. The two problems were 1) the boxes got too heavy to lift. (All those folders were heavy) and 2) SU reorganized colors a couple of times. This was before the In Colors started.
Now I have 4 of the three drawer Iris containers. They are in ROYGBIV order, which works for me. I have 4 colors per drawer, which are on labels on the front of the drawer.

My other fail was making a notebook of my stamp sets. I have a lot of sets! I got a ream of white paper, three hole punched the paper, and stamped one set per page, with the name written at the top. When I started buying the clear mount stamps, I just pulled out the sheet from the case, and copied that for my binder. Two problems: 1) I would run out of printer ink and then separate stamp sets into copied, haven't copied until I got more ink. Then I would forget which pile was which. (My job of high school math teacher kept me too busy to do it when I got the ink or stamps.). Then I started leaving the copies in the printer, where they sit today. I'm way too far behind now to do this, and should probably recycle all that paper to free up some space.

I also tried the little plastic ribbon cases from Joann.com. I spent some time rolling some of the thinner ribbon, then realized that it came out ridiculously curly, and was probably a waste of time. I don't consider it an epic fail because I only rolled 6 or 7 rolls, but I still have the little plastic cases in several sizes doing nothing but taking up space.

I recently tried to do magnet storage by buying magnet sheets at the craft store. My guillotine cutter easily cut them the size of the envelopes they came in. Then I decided I wanted them out of the envelopes, but the magnets weren't strong enough. I bought an art bin with extra magnets with a coupon at a craft store. I realized I would need multiple art bins for my dies. (I currently have a shoebox full.). So, I bought the Stamp N Storage box and cards. I asked for a P Touch label maker for Christmas, and can't wait to get that all organized!

I have a long way to go to call myself organized.

I bought the IKEA rails for punch storage. I have three, but am out of wall space and have lots more punches. Some are in back of door shoe pocket organizers, and some are in iris cart drawers (which get too heavy). I have to sort of memorize what's where, which isn't good.

I really need my hubby to go away for a couple of weeks so I can pull it all out of the room and really organize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This:

Seemed like a great idea for storing the small items to have on hand, but really just took up a ton of room for a small number of items. I ended up getting all of those items in a drawer organizer for a lot less space.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

That is enticing though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
This:

Seemed like a great idea for storing the small items to have on hand, but really just took up a ton of room for a small number of items. I ended up getting all of those items in a drawer organizer for a lot less space.
I had one as well many years ago. It ended up at Goodwill... Same with the rolling file cart to hold paper it was donated as well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I had one as well many years ago. It ended up at Goodwill... Same with the rolling file cart to hold paper it was donated as well...
Mine got donated to the charity auction we run at work to sponsor a Christmas for a family in need. The moms in my office were in a bidding war over it. It ended up getting purchased to hold legos, or maybe it was a rock collection. Either way, someone else is enjoying it now and I made room to keep my MISTI in easy reach.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I use another Microsoft free tool for my images- the Clipping Tool. I find an image of my stamp set on line, use the tool to make a copy, then store that.

This is a typical page of mine- all stamps by one maker.
OH EM GEE!!!! Didn't know that existed (right in my computer)....I LOVE it......thanks so much for sharing!!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #51  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
This:

Wow brings back memories - I started with those drawer sets and quickly learned it wasn't going to work for me. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #52  
Embossing Fanatic

My biggest fail was unmounting stamps to store them in a plastic binder on individual "pages". I can't figure out what many of the stamps look like, especially some of the red rubber ones. I needed to use the front and back of each page and that meant the stamps were touching each other. I gave up after a month and bought the avery elle storage pockets which I am very happy with. What a waste of money with that binder though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdmsulvtView Post
My biggest fail was unmounting stamps to store them in a plastic binder on individual "pages". I can't figure out what many of the stamps look like, especially some of the red rubber ones. I needed to use the front and back of each page and that meant the stamps were touching each other. I gave up after a month and bought the avery elle storage pockets which I am very happy with. What a waste of money with that binder though.
I did exactly the same thing with my unmounted stamps - gave up on the binders and went to the Avery Elle storage pockets. And likewise with my dies - I bought small binders and plastic binder pockets, put all the dies in and decided I didn't like it so am now transferring them to Avery Elle storage pockets - so frustrating.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I did exactly the same thing with my unmounted stamps - gave up on the binders and went to the Avery Elle storage pockets. And likewise with my dies - I bought small binders and plastic binder pockets, put all the dies in and decided I didn't like it so am now transferring them to Avery Elle storage pockets - so frustrating.

I consider it another lesson learned. I did the same thing with stamps and dies. I like the 5/2" x 8" mini binder page protectors as well. I trim off the white strip and file them with my other stamps. I cut down to fit as inserts plastic file folders ...

As for the binders, I made reference catalogs color swatches, color combos, printouts of card sketches and card ideas, etc...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've tried SO MANY storage methods for SO MANY types of supplies, and a lot of them were significantly less successful than others... One of the incarnations of stamp storage was to buy laminated folders at WalMart (cheap at the back-to-school sale) and cut them down to 4" x 6", load them up with stamps, and store them in photo cases. Some of the photopolymer stamps picked up color from the folders (red and purple) and/or stuck to them so the folder tore when I removed them. It was also something of a nuisance to have to open the case, flip through the five or six panels in in it, get the stamp, use it, put it back on the panel, put the panel back in the case... I got smart and followed Diane's (fionna51) lead and bought a laminator. I also went to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2" and binders.

Which brings me to the next...not exactly fail, but hiccup...? I have invested ridiculous $$ acquiring binders, and now do not use more than a handful for various reasons. I still use the page protectors, but they are in IKEA bins now...

Another fail was for embellishments and ribbons. I had them all in pretty little glass containers - mini jars, salt cellars, Frappucino bottles, etc. - arranged on shelves made from CD crates. It looked really cute, but I basically had to rearrange everything to use anything...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Saturday I switched out the shelves attached to my work tables... The longer shelf is now on my primary stamping/coloring station... It give me more space to store things off my worktable but in reach when needed. Shorter shelf is attached to die cutting station table on opposite wall close to my electronic cutter... I still need to organize the area, but that will be after I complete the holiday cards...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

Which brings me to the next...not exactly fail, but hiccup...? I have invested ridiculous $$ acquiring binders, and now do not use more than a handful for various reasons. I still use the page protectors, but they are in IKEA bins now...
Me too - crazy $$ on way too many binders that are now all going off to charity!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

The rotating Clip It Up! Some were wild about it, a total flop for me. I spent more time fiddling with those flimsy clips and picking things off the floor than anything else. I'm glad I didn't get their floor model. Anyone still using theirs?
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
The rotating Clip It Up! Some were wild about it, a total flop for me. I spent more time fiddling with those flimsy clips and picking things off the floor than anything else. I'm glad I didn't get their floor model. Anyone still using theirs?
I considered this item for clipping up stencils, but I decided against it.
So glad I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Had one and hated it - it took up so much room on my desk. I gave it away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Oh that! I finally made myself let that go late this Summer ... and it will not be missed! Such an awkward piece taking away a lot more space that you might think. Then it languishes due to its awkward size. Glad I'm not the only one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I can relate to so many of these! Organization is definitely an ongoing project, but fortunately, it's one I enjoy (aside from the "spending money on systems that don't work" part, of course).

I tried the CD cases thing, for my stamps and my dies. I thought it would be perfect for me, LOL. Nope. The cases crack, the dies fall off the magnets, it takes up too much space, etc. Sadly, I now have a ton of empty CD cases without a home... and I haven't offered them up to anybody because I hate the thought of putting someone else through this, LOL.

Now if I could just find a way to make use of all my scraps, and those misc. die-cuts that don't get used right away. I think I'm on my third or fourth organizational system for them, and it's still a terrible struggle to make use of them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

I put unused die cuts in pockets with the dies. A piece of cardstock separates them. Until I label the pocket, the company/die name/code are snipped off the original package and put behind the cardstock too. So it's a die/cardstock/die cuts & info sandwich.

A magnetic sheet is with the die only if the die set is made up of concentric circles/rectangles or has tons-o-pieces. No need if it's several dies. I turn the pocket semi-upside down and the die(s) slide out. Easy peasy.

It's the Jennifer McGuire system, nothing I made up. I started with it and still am happy with it, unlike certain other systems I have to revisit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I simply quit saving extra die cuts. I tried different methods but it seemed that I never had the color I needed or I would have another stack that needed to be filed away. Now I just toss them except flowers because I make a lot of 3-d flowers using Bristol paper that I color. I keep them in baggies that I store in a basket.

Thankfully, I never tried the Clip-it method. I would have needed way to many.

Sue - I also had all the lovely little containers to store embellishments. They looked so cute but agree it was a constant hassle. I don't even want to think of the cost of the various containers that I've sold at a deep discount because it just didn't work out.

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 12-19-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to "organize" my space because it's also a small family room and has a closed twin sleeper sofa in it. Family will be coming Friday and staying one night.

The closed sleeper/loveseat was where I was keeping all my paper supplies. it was easy to reach when I sat at my desk and held baskets and plastic bins with paper pads, color and patterned papers cut to usable sizes.

Everything that had a place that I liked is now stacked up, one on top of the other, my pencils, my markers, inks, started projects, finished cards, all in containers but somewhat out of the way.

Maybe before they leave on Sunday I'll have them help me get it back to a big mess that I feel comfortable with again! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I've never quite been able to understand organizing by the manufacturer. My stamps are all organized by category/theme because that is how I stamp. I'm pretty good at being able to tell who made a stamp but nine times out of ten, when I want a candle it's for a birthday card so I can go to the birthday box #3 where I have candles, packages, and party supplies. If had to remember if the stamp was SU, MFT, etc. I'd never find it. LOL

Some of my stamps are sorted by manufacturer. Like my Penny Black, Whipper Snapper, Stampin Up and House Mouse. I keep these sorted this way because of some of the swaps I do that require stamps only from a specific company. It works for me when doing these types of swaps. But, everything else is by theme. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the worst items I ever purchased was the "ribbon ladder" that Joann's sold. It isn't worth the money, even with a coupon for 25% off everything including sale items!! You can read about it here. In fact, I was about to write a review for it, and saw that I already did it 2 years ago. I ended up just tossing the entire thing in the trash bin (minus the dowels I purchased to replaced the warped ones that came with it)...because I would hate to pass on a really bad idea to another crafter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #68  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannaramaView Post
One of the worst items I ever purchased was the "ribbon ladder" that Joann's sold. It isn't worth the money, even with a coupon for 25% off everything including sale items!! You can read about it here. In fact, I was about to write a review for it, and saw that I already did it 2 years ago. I ended up just tossing the entire thing in the trash bin (minus the dowels I purchased to replaced the warped ones that came with it)...because I would hate to pass on a really bad idea to another crafter.
Wow ... glad to read this! I had once considered asking DH to duplicate this for me since he's incredibly good with creating in wood. My ribbon use has seriously declined in recent years, so I don't need at-hand's-reach storage any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

I use plastic shoe boxes to hold ribbons and decorative threads, and so much more... They're stackable and cheap, I believe I purchase a set of 4 or 6 at Target for $5-$6 bucks.
Target will have storage containers on sale after Christmas and they may be cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by casmilesView Post
I did the ribbon on dowels (5 - 6 ft dowels that hung down from the sliding closet doors in the craft room. While easy to access = as mentioned, once that spool was empty, you had to take all the others off to remove it and replace with another.

If you've got wall space - go for gutters...I've got 4 gutters along an entire wall - love it - the spools sit right in them - just pick up the spool and put it back. So so nice.
Actually you don't even have to give up wall space. I have my guttering on the back of the door to my craft room. My disaster with ribbon came when I tried to keep the rolls in bins in rows by color. I had the rows 3 high and 4 wide and as many as I could get deep. Total disaster as I couldn't see what was in the middle, the different sized rolls would not stay in place and I have more ribbon than would fit in 3 bins. Spent lots of time looking and replacing. No funny story to tell, just a miserable situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #71  
Stampin' Fool

The ribbon I have I is limited to 1 plastic shoe box which I plan on purging soon. I'll stick with white from here on out. I can easily dye pieces to match whatever project I'm working on with alcohol inks and re-inkers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Argh, ribbon. Why don't I remember to put ribbon on my cards? I think about it after I've glued the layers together or a bow just doesn't look like it should be there. Ribbon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
Argh, ribbon. Why don't I remember to put ribbon on my cards? I think about it after I've glued the layers together or a bow just doesn't look like it should be there. Ribbon...
My feelings as well, that's why I'm scaling back since I rarely use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #74  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
The ribbon I have I is limited to 1 plastic shoe box which I plan on purging soon. I'll stick with white from here on out. I can easily dye pieces to match whatever project I'm working on with alcohol inks and re-inkers...
Hummmm....that sounds like a good idea suggestion! Thanks! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #75  
Mad Swapper

Regarding ribbon & its storage.... I've been told that there is a ribbon winder thingy out there that allows you to roll your ribbon off the big spool that it comes on. Have any of you used it? What was your experience with it? I'm REALLY curious about this thingy because I really need to do something to minimize the ribbon storage for The You Matter Project. Please advise. Thankies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craf-T-BearView Post
Regarding ribbon & its storage.... I've been told that there is a ribbon winder thingy out there that allows you to roll your ribbon off the big spool that it comes on. Have any of you used it? What was your experience with it? I'm REALLY curious about this thingy because I really need to do something to minimize the ribbon storage for The You Matter Project. Please advise. Thankies.
Are you thinking of the Ribbon Ring? I posted about it in my post #26 on this thread. Please see it for info.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

I've been a papercrafter almost 20 years now, and I've collected a great deal of product, tools, paper, stamps, embellishments, etc... After moving twice since I've taken up the craft, I have gotten rid of a lot of items that were honestly a waste of money. I shudder when I think about the money I wasted. Don't take me wrong, I enjoy what I do, but I have become more discriminating and selective on what I spend my dollars on. Knowing that I want to retire in 5 years and I'll have another move to make, I'm only taking what is needed, used and loved. So I will continue to organize, condense, corral and set limitations on supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craf-T-BearView Post
I posted about this earlier in this thread (I think?). It was at a Stamp & SB Expo and I really liked it. You can also buy a bar to hang the case - or other cases - from.

But I don't own it and most likely won't get it, because I use ribbon so rarely, and have a little ribbon iron if any ribbon gets bent or wrinkled:

Ribbon - Spool & Store - USD - Products - USD

The people who own the small company that makes this are super nice. The husband was at the show and his wife is very reponsive to emails.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #79  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Are you thinking of the Ribbon Ring? I posted about it in my post #26 on this thread. Please see it for info.
That's NOT it Susan. The thing I'm talking about is a ribbon winder thing. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I posted about this earlier in this thread (I think?). It was at a Stamp & SB Expo and I really liked it. You can also buy a bar to hang the case - or other cases - from.

But I don't own it and most likely won't get it, because I use ribbon so rarely, and have a little ribbon iron if any ribbon gets bent or wrinkled:

Ribbon - Spool & Store - USD - Products - USD

The people who own the small company that makes this are super nice. The husband was at the show and his wife is very reponsive to emails.

bejeans ~ That's it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes