Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cutting plates

Did anyone ever try to make their own Big Shot cutting plates by going to the hardware store and purchasing acrylic or plexiglass? My husband thinks I could do this but I don't want to cause any damage to my Big Shot machine. I've already replaced my cutting plates 5 times, but I do use my machine quite a bit. Thanks for any help you can give me with this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a caliper you could measure the thickness of your plates and make sure you get the right thickness of acrylic from the hardware store. It would probably be less expensive. You could probably also use the off-cuts as mounts for stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you - I was going to take my acrylic plates to the hardware store for them to advise me. I appreciate your feed back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The edges may be sharp after they are cut in the store. Ask if they can smooth or burnish the edges or, I guess you could always wrap the edges in tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

That's a great idea - I never thought about rough edges. My husband also has a rouder and he would be happy to smooth the edges, if I decide to try this. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I only replace plates if they break. I've only had one B plate break in six years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I've never had a broken plate, but they do get so warped that it's hard to make a good cut, not to mention not being able to use my magnetic plates. Plus all the pieces of paper (when using colored papers to cut parts) that get stuck in the grooves and cuts that are all over my cutting boards.....sometimes my finished cut out die images that I cut have little black "edges" around them, from the colors on the cutting plates - especially when I have been cutting black pieces of die cuts. lol I do feel that I cut more than the normal person. While I don't sell any of my creations, I do cut out pieces for adult classes that I volunteer at as well as make items for my church's bazaar. I made a Christmas card once - I used the pine sprigs to make a Christmas tree. I need 16 of them and I made 60 cards. Thanks iamvics and to all of you who replied. I'll post on this thread if I do try this - hopefully I'll have a machine left!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Do a search on here or YouTube about baking your cutting plates to flatten them and get rid of all the paper gunk that gets in the cracks. I haven't tried it but it might work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Pin by Diane Cramer on CRAFTY TOOLS...Big Shot | Pinterest

Just searched and baking them may make them brittle so check out The Fugal Crafter's YouTube. Lindsey scrubs them with a toothbrush and dish soap and puts them in hot water and bends them the other way to clean and flatten her cutting plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I asked my husband who is a tool machinist and showed him my big shot plates. He measured this with his calipers. He said as long as they were the same thickness or even smaller where you might have to use card-stock as a shim, it would be fine and not damage the big shot.

Of course my plates are wrapped and he is going to make me some plates this weekend. I trust him with my life (not sure yet about trusting him with my big shot, but I will find out tomorrow!!LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Arlenevita. I did look at both of them previously and tried those posts; after all, what did I have to lose? I placed one in the oven but it did not flatten out very much at all and the one that Lindsay did - I did scrub them with a toothbrush and that got out some of the gook. However, using our hot water from the tap it did not flatten them out. I was thinking of placing them in boiling water for a while, then see if I can flatten them out. My oh my - what WE will do for our supplies! So much easier to just buy one! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I only replace my plates when they start leaving unwanted "embossing" on my cuts from the grooves that have been cut into them. To help with the warping, I just flip them over each time I use them. I've never had them warp so much that I couldn't use them, and I've never had one break. I don't think I would put them in the oven, since that might result in toxic fumes if I weren't very, very careful. They are inexpensive enough to just buy new ones when the old ones aren't usable anymore. (Approximately $8.99 for two + a coupon.)

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 08-01-2014 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

LOL - buddy'smamma - that is so funny. When I spoke to my stampin' buds about this, they said it should work to buy the acrylic and I certainly don't mind using cardboard for shims. I sometimes do that now if I want the embossing to "pop out" a bit more. Our local hardware store will even cut them down for us, but hubby could do that for me, too. I hope it works out for you! I plan on trying them next week or so. Good luck and thanks for replying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Scrapjanny - you are SO right - they really are not all that expensive to buy. I also find that I have "unwanted imprints" on the cardstock when I cut if the grooves are plentiful. It seems like we all have the same complaints. I tried the metal cutting plates from Cherry Lynne and they, too, became warped and misshapen in no time at all, although they did not ruin my acrylic plates - just mega warped. Perhaps there is no quick fix for this. Which one of us can figure out a new way/system so we can be on "Shark Tank" and present it to the world? lol Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

When my plates start leaving marks on the paper, I just put a piece of plain paper down first. Great use for junk mail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

basketdiva - you just gave me a "now why didn't I think of that" moment! lol I love recycling junk mail too! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I know it can be done. I bought some that a lady made from acrylic plexiglass type of stuff. I use my religiously. I have the epic and when I bought it, it only had pad that was like a cutting mat. I needed the plexy type in order to use my Sizzix and couldn't find them here locally. I found a lady on ebay that cut them. 1/2 the price. So, I know it can be done. You'll just have to measure the depth of it and go find it the right size. You could possibly get the hardware store to cut them for you. You could get a decent sheet and make several pads and even sell them...lol

Oh, and your old plates... you can run them under hot hot water and re bend them back from a warp. The frugal crafter did a video on it. I think that the hot water helps mend the grooves a bit too. You can force smooth them down while its hot. I used a rolling pin. I only use one for the cut side and keep one that is always on the back side so I don't get those grooves in my paper.

Good luck. I would love to know how it works for you.

Last edited by Denverkat276; 08-01-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default metal shim

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post
Scrapjanny - you are SO right - they really are not all that expensive to buy. I also find that I have "unwanted imprints" on the cardstock when I cut if the grooves are plentiful. It seems like we all have the same complaints. I tried the metal cutting plates from Cherry Lynne and they, too, became warped and misshapen in no time at all, although they did not ruin my acrylic plates - just mega warped. Perhaps there is no quick fix for this. Which one of us can figure out a new way/system so we can be on "Shark Tank" and present it to the world? lol Thanks again!
Your metal shim should never be cut on. It goes under one of your cutting plates. One metal shim should last forever.

Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I really like the genius platform and mats. They don't wear out like the acrylic mats do. JoAnn.com stocks the replacement mats now if you would need to replace one. (It was recommended by a teacher at Archivers she did all her class prep using it and the mats were still going strong.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this! I'll let you know if I try cutting my own from hardware store materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

My husband cut me some plates Saturday. They worked perfectly!! In fact I used them about 10 times yesterday on my Christmas Cards. Loved them. Here is one of the cards that I used my embossing folder on with the new plates.

Sunflowers by buddy'smama - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

How wonderful is that AND your card is lovely. Please thank your hubby for his "input" in this and for letting us know of your success! I used to work in a machine shop (the secretary) - and I will try this too. Thanks so much for letting us know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

I too had grooves and tiny pieces of paper in my acrylic plates. I bought a new set of plates and labeled them for embossing only. Then I don't have unwanted lines on my card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post
How wonderful is that AND your card is lovely. Please thank your hubby for his "input" in this and for letting us know of your success! I used to work in a machine shop (the secretary) - and I will try this too. Thanks so much for letting us know!
Thank you for the compliment on my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
I asked my husband who is a tool machinist and showed him my big shot plates. He measured this with his calipers. He said as long as they were the same thickness or even smaller where you might have to use card-stock as a shim, it would be fine and not damage the big shot.

Of course my plates are wrapped and he is going to make me some plates this weekend. I trust him with my life (not sure yet about trusting him with my big shot, but I will find out tomorrow!!LOL)
Well, as long as you have your priorities straight... Thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

just a side note - those acrylic plates are also wonderful to use for stamping background stamps. why by an acrylic block when they work so well. i also saved the pieces of my one broken plate to use as acrylic blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I have replaced the original cutting plates for acrylic and plexiglass, and it works just fine. I have been doing this for more than a year now, without problem, both for my Big Shot and Big Shot Pro. If needed, I just use a card stock shim. This is the cheapest solution for me, living on a tiny island in the Caribbean, with no JoAnne's, Michaels, and 50% off coupons, you just have to be creative. Lol!!

Last edited by MikiMuisje; 08-13-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

My husband is also a machinist. He points out that the depth is one thing, but the property of the plate material is another. Ask the hardware store if they can tell if the plates are acrylic or plexiglass, and buy the appropriate material.
To prevent warping, I store my plates in my Big Shot, flipped so that the arc is face down. The pressure of the rollers flattens the plates. Knock wood, my plates are 7 years old, and havent been replaced yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
My husband cut me some plates Saturday. They worked perfectly!! In fact I used them about 10 times yesterday on my Christmas Cards. Loved them. Here is one of the cards that I used my embossing folder on with the new plates.

Sunflowers by buddy'smama - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I love the imbossed image on this card. What brand is the embossing folder?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I got my Cuttlebug many years ago, and I�ve never replaced the cuttingplates with new ones, but always used the homecut ones in all these years, and they�ve always worked perfectly fine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

It truly amazes me that someone wouldn't have to replace cutting plates in 7 years!!! I must be doing something wrong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
It truly amazes me that someone wouldn't have to replace cutting plates in 7 years!!! I must be doing something wrong!
might be quantity usage. I use mine occasionally, not daily. I have my original plates having bought my cuttlebug in 2007. I make enough cards (average 2-3 per week and not all of those will have die cutting embossing) but no where near the amount that many cardmakers do.

ETA I also flip as soon as it bends and have only used 1 of the plates to cut into. I do have two other cut marks in the other plates but decided I would wear out one at a time and keep the others "clean"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I use mine a lot. I flip them too and try to use one for cutting but somehow the clean one ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Pin by Diane Cramer on CRAFTY TOOLS...Big Shot | Pinterest

Just searched and baking them may make them brittle so check out The Fugal Crafter's YouTube. Lindsey scrubs them with a toothbrush and dish soap and puts them in hot water and bends them the other way to clean and flatten her cutting plates.
I use a scrubber and soapy water to clean my plates---like the idea of a toothbrush, though. I keep flipping them over to keep them flat. It takes some time if I haven't kept up, but it works, especially if I position my die in different places around the plate. I have never broken a B plate, but did break a C plate tring to use a friends SU texture plate with the same sandwich as I use for my Fiskers texture plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I only said, I never replaced them with bought ones, but always have used those homemade ones, and they�ve worked perfectly in all these years. I�ve never used other storebought ones, than those, that came with the machine, when I bought it, and ever since only used the homecut ones. Think I�ve used a cuttingplate per year probably
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryannlaView Post
I only said, I never replaced them with bought ones, but always have used those homemade ones, and they�ve worked perfectly in all these years. I�ve never used other storebought ones, than those, that came with the machine, when I bought it, and ever since only used the homecut ones. Think I�ve used a cuttingplate per year probably
Definitely, I think it is Judith and myself that are on our original ones!:mrgreen: as I said I don't think time is a good descriptor because it doesn't indicate usage.

I have diecuts that are over 10 years old!!!! back when the cost to cut our own was so prohibitive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bthomas418View Post
I love the imbossed image on this card. What brand is the embossing folder?
Darice - Chicken Wire EF - Frantic Stamper has them in stock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried baking my plates and followed instructions to a T and ruined them. I'm better off scrubbing once in a while and flipping the one plate I use for the cutting base. Seems to keep it from warping. I never use the other plate for cutting, just as a top plate. If the bottom one ever "dies", I'll use the top one for cutting and get a new top plate.
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowowlView Post
I tried baking my plates and followed instructions to a T and ruined them. I'm better off scrubbing once in a while and flipping the one plate I use for the cutting base. Seems to keep it from warping. I never use the other plate for cutting, just as a top plate. If the bottom one ever "dies", I'll use the top one for cutting and get a new top plate.
Sue
I have 2 sets of B plates---one set for cutting (I flip and trade off) and one pristine set for embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My husband had some plates made for me at this job. While they looked exactly like my CB plates, thickness, width and length, the very first time I ran them thru they broke in half. I don't know if it was the grade of acrylic used or what. Is there a grad you have to use??
Reply With Quote Likes