Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #841  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

what about hair bows in local school colors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #842  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
what about hair bows in local school colors
I did some hair bows in the school colors at my last craft show (it was a Catholic Church school). They were colors to match their uniforms. Although I got many complements on them, the girls choose more of the other bows over the school colors. I did sell a couple, but thought they would go over better. The moms all liked them, but the girls preferred the other bows. :-)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #843  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some cute Peeps centerpieces - that may be cute for your table for a spring show for decoration. I suppose you could do some to sell too, depending on how they are done. I've never done a spring sale so I'm at a loss to help any of you out - other than the standard cards, bunny poop maybe. the mint patties with bunny faces - or even the candy bars with bunny ears instead of the snow hats. Chicklets could be bunny teeth.

I had my last sale this weekend at a friend's house - may about $70 which was good - got rid of most of my candy items which is very good. I over bought on candy though (well actually overbought and then just forgot to do some of them - hello peppermint patty mints that I found!). I guess I will do some for gifts too.

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #844  
Glitter Guru

Hope everyone's craft shows went great this weekend!!

I finally got to make something for myself. Made one of the book page wreaths and a rag banner, all for my mantle. It was nice to actually make something for ME!

For Spring shows, you could do variations on what we all do for Christmas....I have seen the cutest hershey bars but they are decorated like a bunny (made with various punches). Or the 1x8 cello bags with pastel M&Ms, or if you want to go fancy, fill them with green M&Ms (for stems) and do a flower punch art as the topper.

I plan to do the Surprise Snowballs for Christmas craft fairs next year but you could do one that is an Easter Surprise Ball and fill it with small easter toys and candy and use pink or lavender or blue crepe paper to wrap it up.

What about the paper cones filled with cute treats, like the Robin's Eggs. Sort of like a May Day thing. (I am getting old and blanking on what those things are called?! Sheesh!)

If its before Easter, do some place setting cards, like bunnies or flowers.

Sorry, these are just a few ideas...I'm about brain dead today because I start my vaca on Wednesday and am starting to shut my brain down early. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #845  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRKIDDOView Post
Wendykins, I signed up for a show in March my son's Boy Scout troop is hosting. I have never done a Spring show. Would you mind sharing some ideas? I am planning on making up sets of cards, and some hair bows, maybe some little candy items, but I don't really know what to do. So any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
I definitely do Easter goodies...M&M sticks, carrot candy bags,etc....
But also Mother's Day items, a few graduation ideas and end of year teacher gifts. But mostly I do the everyday items....cards, frames,coasters, etc...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #846  
Insane Embellisher

GREAT ideas! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #847  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have done spring shows but did not find them all that successful. I have always ended up waiting the candy after! lol
Please let us know how it goes for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #848  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Spring Craft Show

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
I have done spring shows but did not find them all that successful. I have always ended up waiting the candy after! lol
Please let us know how it goes for you.
I had the same problem. I did 2 shows and didn't do well. Allot of items left over put I donated the those to the church I did a show with. One thing I did make that I sold out of and I didn't think they would sell is the little yarn peeps. I sat at night while I was watching TV and just kept making them. I displayed them in a empty egg carton. I was so tired making them but I made the cost of the yarn(about 2.00) over and over and over again. It was one of those items where people would buy 4 and 5 at a time. Could have sold more if I had them made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #849  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoxView Post
I had the same problem. I did 2 shows and didn't do well. Allot of items left over put I donated the those to the church I did a show with. One thing I did make that I sold out of and I didn't think they would sell is the little yarn peeps. I sat at night while I was watching TV and just kept making them. I displayed them in a empty egg carton. I was so tired making them but I made the cost of the yarn(about 2.00) over and over and over again. It was one of those items where people would buy 4 and 5 at a time. Could have sold more if I had them made.
what is a yarn peep??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #850  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Peeps

Quote:

what is a yarn peep??
We made them when we were kids. That's why I was surprised I sold so many. You make two pom poms and tie them together...trim to what size you want...put on eyes and a beak(I used felt). Very simple. If you go to pinterest and type in.... how to make pom pom peeps.... you will get pics of different types. The one I made is like the one in the second row in the middle. I made them in all different colors. I also made snowmen for my Christmas shows and they sold as well. I noticed there's really cute bunnies and pumpkins etc etc etc ones too. I asked .50 for the peeps and upped the price to .75 for the snowmen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #851  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Peeps

Quote:

We made them when we were kids. That's why I was surprised I sold so many. You make two pom poms and tie them together...trim to what size you want...put on eyes and a beak(I used felt). Very simple. If you go to pinterest and type in.... how to make pom pom peeps.... you will get pics of different types. The one I made is like the one in the second row in the middle. I made them in all different colors. I also made snowmen for my Christmas shows and they sold as well. I noticed there's really cute bunnies and pumpkins etc etc etc ones too. I asked .50 for the peeps and upped the price to .75 for the snowmen.
I added a felt scarf and a hat to the snowmen that's why I upped the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #852  
Insane Embellisher

I dont really expect the Spring show to go all that great. But it is for charity, and the boy scout troop asked....so I figured I would give it a try.
And maybe, just maybe I will meet some Stampin' Up leads...That would make it all worth it!!

And if nothing else, I will have some items all ready for my Christmas shows :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #853  
Glitter Guru

Gina....you are right, I definitely meet new people at the non-Christmas shows. People are less rushed and can take the time to talk and ask about classes and workshops. Put a few things on your event calendar and have a sample or two....small flyer with dates/times and you should get some new people! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #854  
Stampin' Fool

I am feeling pretty tired after doing all my shows and working full time.
I don't even get to relax really until the New Year as I am working most days through the holidays (work in hospital/shift work).
Oh well.

I have picked up really good deals for next year's shows though. For the first time ever, I actually FILLED a cart at Michaels. Almost everything was 70% off. It was fun going through my bags at home.
The first thing I do is calculate the amount paid including tax for the full package and per item in the package. I just write it on the package in Sharpie. It helps alot when calculating my costs when I make items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #855  
Stampin' Fool

I picked up some xmas Pop Rocks at Walmart. 3 per pack for $1. Expiry date on package was 2015.
Who made them/what was the idea for the daying to go with Pop Rocks??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #856  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I picked up some xmas Pop Rocks at Walmart. 3 per pack for $1. Expiry date on package was 2015.
Who made them/what was the idea for the daying to go with Pop Rocks??
That's a good price....I'm going to pick some up. I do remember someone mentioning they made something with them, but I don't know what it was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #857  
Stampin' Fool

Found the Pop Rock idea. There is a pic on Post #723
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #858  
Rubber Obsessor

Default After Christmas Sales

I have made so many great purchases for next years shows. Target, Michaels, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Kmart, Joanns. Have one more store to check out...but waiting til they go to75% off. This is the time of year I normally buy the majority of my items. I only do Christmas Shows. I'm having fun!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #859  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

what does cracker barrel have?what's
and what's your last store?
do you hit the Christmas tree store?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #860  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
what does cracker barrel have?what's
and what's your last store?
do you hit the Christmas tree store?

I bought large heavy candy canes(very nice), candles and some different little items I can but in my grab bags. I call them Santa's sacks.
Our christmas tree store is not very close but I am planning on checking it out. I did buy items there last year. The store I'm waiting for the 75% mark down is Pier 1. They have the nicest items....soaps, bath fizzes, small items for kids... all kinds of goodies. I don't know when they do the actual final markdown...last year I was shopping at Michaels and went in to see if they had anything I could use and walked out with 2 large bags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #861  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I bought large heavy candy canes(very nice), candles and some different little items I can but in my grab bags. I call them Santa's sacks.
Our christmas tree store is not very close but I am planning on checking it out. I did buy items there last year. The store I'm waiting for the 75% mark down is Pier 1. They have the nicest items....soaps, bath fizzes, small items for kids... all kinds of goodies. I don't know when they do the actual final markdown...last year I was shopping at Michaels and went in to see if they had anything I could use and walked out with 2 large bags.
I have been finding some good deals also. I bought all my Michaels deal stuff before xmas though, and I am glad. I went in there and it is like xmas is gone in the craft section - just odds and ends left in the tree section.
I will try Pier 1 also. They do have nice things.

I did buy a couple of new stamp sets also which I haven't done for a while.

I found some of the "heavy duty" candy canes also. They were still $1 each but they are so thick and big and nice.
Can you share what is in your "grab bags"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #862  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=DianeCraft;20467807]I have been finding some good deals also. I bought all my Michaels deal stuff before xmas though, and I am glad. I went in there and it is like xmas is gone in the craft section - just odds and ends left in the tree section.
I will try Pier 1 also. They do have nice things.

I did buy a couple of new stamp sets also which I haven't done for a while.

I found some of the "heavy duty" candy canes also. They were still $1 each but they are so thick and big and nice.
Can you share .

Every year it's something different. If I have anything left over from the previous year it goes in the bags. Things like crayons, candy canes, small activity books, pencils, little toys etc. etc. etc. I do buy allot of items from Oriental Trading Christmas Sales. And I buy when they offer free shipping.Many many choices. Always read their reviews some items are not worth purchasing and some have good reviews. Excellent prices. The bags sell very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #863  
Stampin' Fool

I am not sure what to do with the candy canes yet ...maybe the Candy cane story.
We will see.

I still haven't put all my xmas craft goodies away.
When I get home from shopping, it takes me a bit because I write on packaging how much each item cost me, including tax. That helps me alot when I go to use the item in my craft for calculating costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #864  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I am not sure what to do with the candy canes yet ...maybe the Candy cane story.
We will see.

I still haven't put all my xmas craft goodies away.
When I get home from shopping, it takes me a bit because I write on packaging how much each item cost me, including tax. That helps me alot when I go to use the item in my craft for calculating costs.
Here's a link to what I'm going do to with my candy canes..
Dawns Stamping Studio: Cute Candy Cane video ...
I did the candy cane story a couple of years ago and sold about 6.
I have a little book where I write the cost of each item. How do you calculate what you charge? Sometimes I think I'm not asking enough but when I up the price I think it's too much. Therefore, I am changing prices up until I do my first show for the year. I have been selling most of my items but I think the lower price is why they are selling. If I up the price I'm concerned they wouldn't sell as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #865  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Idea for next christmas sales

I saw this idea on Pinterest On a piece of paper print:

Merry Christmas
and a
Chappy New Year

Then tape or glue a stick of Chap stick onto the paper and place in cello bag.

I think the saying could also go on a header with just the tube of Chapstick inside.

For a gag gift........ place two batteries in a cello bag and the saying is " Gift Not Included" .........cute! Or you could just place one to save costs.

Anyway just thought these might be something to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #866  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I saw this idea on Pinterest On a piece of paper print:

Merry Christmas
and a
Chappy New Year

Then tape or glue a stick of Chap stick onto the paper and place in cello bag.

I think the saying could also go on a header with just the tube of Chapstick inside.

For a gag gift........ place two batteries in a cello bag and the saying is " Gift Not Included" .........cute! Or you could just place one to save costs.

Anyway just thought these might be something to try.
Love the batteries idea....it's on my list for next year. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #867  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Candy Canes

Has anyone saved candy canes from year to year? I am wondering if they go back and get sticky.

What about mini hershey bars? And I assume microwave popcorn and hot cocoa would be okay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #868  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricket7View Post
Has anyone saved candy canes from year to year? I am wondering if they go back and get sticky.

What about mini hershey bars? And I assume microwave popcorn and hot cocoa would be okay?
Candy canes are apparently good for a couple of years, the problem could be not knowing how old they are when you buy them.

I would not keep chocolate for any length of time, it is affected by humidity.

Popcorn and hot chocolate should have a "best before" date on them so that would tell you whether you can keep them or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #869  
Pearl-ExPert

Default 2013 craft sale best sellers

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
BTW last year I also realized that a lot of people peruse pinterest so when people looked at my reindeer hershey bars and Snowman popcorn they talked about how they'd seen it on pinterest (somehow seeing it on pinterest equals to making it - anyway that's a totally different discussion...). So I'd to make sure that I didn't make anything this year that was popular on pinterest.
Interesting. Not to start a heated discussion but here is my two cents. How much of what you have already made is something you saw somewhere else, or is all of your product your own original idea never before seen anywhere?

Pinterest is just a site on the net so anyone with a computor has access to any craft shown on it.Then again I wonder what percentage of customers troll the net checking out what is there before they come to a craft show. I think it's the people that do crafts themselves that would know what is on Pinterest or Stampin Up etc. There are many people who are just looking for something to purchase and in some cases that they could not be bothered to buy the supplies to make it themselves.....which includes a lot of people.

Some of the things mentioned in these posts have been around for years (cocoa packets) yet people continue to buy them as many here have posted on this years sales.

I agree I would not make a ton of anything that was everywhere, but if it is something we have not heard or seen that would fit into a sale I would certainly make a few and try them out. Either of these would also fit into gag gifts for friends. There are always people here asking for suggestions, s that was the purpose of my post. I have been doing this for over twenty years so I can only express my opinions based on my own experience.

This is a good place to toss round ideas and opinions and to decide for ourselves what we feel comfortable with. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #870  
Pearl-ExPert

Default 2013 craft sale Best Sellers

Quote:

I can speak from personal experience that if you buy good chocolate like Hershey Nuggets they will be just fine a year from now .......just ask any of my family members that are gobbling down kisses purchased last year lol.

Seriously good chocolate will keep have you ever looked at the expiration date on say Ghiradelli chocolates...I bought some after christmas whose date was for Next Feb......must be the preservatives.

Anyway cook books tell us that chocolate is good even when it has "bloom" on it ( that cloudy covering) and it is still good to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #871  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I can speak from personal experience that if you buy good chocolate like Hershey Nuggets they will be just fine a year from now .......just ask any of my family members that are gobbling down kisses purchased last year lol.

Seriously good chocolate will keep have you ever looked at the expiration date on say Ghiradelli chocolates...I bought some after christmas whose date was for Next Feb......must be the preservatives.

Anyway cook books tell us that chocolate is good even when it has "bloom" on it ( that cloudy covering) and it is still good to use.
So my Hershey Mini bar snowmen should be okay! Good to know as those suckers take some time to make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #872  
Pearl-ExPert

Default 20113 craft sale best sellers

Quote:

So my Hershey Mini bar snowmen should be okay! Good to know as those suckers take some time to make!
To be absolutely sure you could always try a couple a month or so before your show. I always store any chocolate in cool dry conditions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #873  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

To be absolutely sure you could always try a couple a month or so before your show. I always store any chocolate in cool dry conditions.
Great idea..thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #874  
Glitter Guru

Diane....sorry I didnt see this til today. Been on vaca and computer free! I am the one who did the Pop Rocks....and yes, that was my pic I posted. I just made sleeves for the Pop Rock packet and then made a tag. I had 2 different tags, which you can see in the pic. One says Hope Your Christmas ROCKS! and one says Hope Your Holidays ROCK! these tags also go well with the rock candy you can buy at Party City. It is a package of 8 of the same color/flavor. I did those the year before....just separated them and put them in their own cello bag, tied off with ribbon and the tag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #875  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
Diane....sorry I didnt see this til today. Been on vaca and computer free! I am the one who did the Pop Rocks....and yes, that was my pic I posted. I just made sleeves for the Pop Rock packet and then made a tag. I had 2 different tags, which you can see in the pic. One says Hope Your Christmas ROCKS! and one says Hope Your Holidays ROCK! these tags also go well with the rock candy you can buy at Party City. It is a package of 8 of the same color/flavor. I did those the year before....just separated them and put them in their own cello bag, tied off with ribbon and the tag.

How did your Pop Rocks sell at the shows?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #876  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

How did your Pop Rocks sell at the shows?
I did not make that many....I had 15 of them at my last 1-day show. I did sell all 15. I think if I had them at the first 2-day show they would have sold well also, but shoot, you just never know?!

They are a 3 pack for $1 and I got 5 packs. I sold them for $1.50 each or 4 for $5. They hung around for the first couple of hours but I sold a few and then one lady came and bought up the rest of them.

I mostly made them because I already had the tags made up from the year before for some of the rock candy treats that didnt sell. When I saw those at Walmart, I thought I could use up my cute tags I already had made.

One thing I would change is my packaging a bit....I think people didn't "get" them...people don't like to read signs, as we all know....so I would make more of a sleeve for them so people could see the package of pop rocks. If I find them again next year then that is what I will do instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #877  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
I did not make that many....I had 15 of them at my last 1-day show. I did sell all 15. I think if I had them at the first 2-day show they would have sold well also, but shoot, you just never know?!

They are a 3 pack for $1 and I got 5 packs. I sold them for $1.50 each or 4 for $5. They hung around for the first couple of hours but I sold a few and then one lady came and bought up the rest of them.

I mostly made them because I already had the tags made up from the year before for some of the rock candy treats that didnt sell. When I saw those at Walmart, I thought I could use up my cute tags I already had made.

One thing I would change is my packaging a bit....I think people didn't "get" them...people don't like to read signs, as we all know....so I would make more of a sleeve for them so people could see the package of pop rocks. If I find them again next year then that is what I will do instead.
I know what you mean about people not reading things. And I do think packaging can sell the item. Might try the pop rocks next year if I can find them. I found some of those things you put in water that grow. I've been wanting them for a few years now but they were to costly. Found Christmas ones today 50% off. Now that I have them I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.
Thanks for the reply
Happy New Year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #878  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #879  
Insane Embellisher

I started a new job in the beginning of February. The other one had me COMPLETELY stressed out! I haven't been crafting in a bit, which isn't good considering I have the show the end of next month! Oh that's not entirely true, I have been making hair bows, but that's about it. I kind of feel like this upcoming show is more the Vendor Fair, so I am not overly concerned about crafting. But if it gets me even a few leads, I would be very happy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #880  
Stampin' Fool

I am not doing any spring shows this year, but want to start on things for xmas. Just not sure what to start with....
Reply With Quote Likes