Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Metal Die Organization

I have finally found a metal die organization system that works well for me. I wrote a blog post about it with pictures, which you can read about here:

Sonya's Paper Trail: Finally....Fab Storage for Metal Dies!

But it's basically a binder system sold by SP&Co. Link:

SP Storage Binder System : SP and Company, Daringly Delightful Stamps by Samantha Peyton

And I'm really happy that I have a way of putting all my dies in one place and that with them at my finger tips, I "should" be inspired to use them!

Hope this helps someone out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Nice! I use the magnetic vent covers cut down to fit into 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" page protectors, which then go into the same-size binders, so it's similar to your system. Glad you found a solution that works! (It looks nice, too!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #3  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links. The SP binder system prices are very reasonable IMO. I just placed an order to try these out - thanks for sharing I have my dies currently in a large binder with magnetic sheets (cannot remember where I got the sheets) and it's too big and bulky and the dies don't stay on well - the whole thing is very frustrating LOL.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 04-23-2013 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Thanks for the links. The SP binder system prices are very reasonable IMO. I just placed an order to try these out - thanks for sharing I have my dies currently in a large binder with magnetic sheets (cannot remember where I got the sheets) and it's too big and bulky and the dies don't stay on well - the whole thing is very frustrating LOL.
You are most welcome. For the price, it's a really nice system. I liked that it held a variety of sized dies all in one little binder. Those magnetic sheets can get sort of heavy, so the size makes it easy to work with, too. I hope you like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #5  

WOW - they have already shipped my order and followed up with an email - very friendly and efficient I can't wait to try this - I bought the system to try with both dies and smaller stamp sets. I'll post on here once I've used it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

WOW - they have already shipped my order and followed up with an email - very friendly and efficient I can't wait to try this - I bought the system to try with both dies and smaller stamp sets. I'll post on here once I've used it.
The owner is really great--super fast shipping and great customer service. I do hope you like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the link. I plan on getting some of the pink binders once they are available
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by amydavView Post
Thanks for the link. I plan on getting some of the pink binders once they are available
Glad I could help. Did you sign up for the newsletter? The owner is really great about sending updates when items are in by her newsletter. That pink color is gorgeous! Hope they come in soon for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
Glad I could help. Did you sign up for the newsletter? The owner is really great about sending updates when items are in by her newsletter. That pink color is gorgeous! Hope they come in soon for you.
I sure did Good to know they inform of newly in stock products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #10  

I got my order today and this is going to be a good system for my dies (like Memory Box and Spellbinders) and for my smaller clear stamp sets.

An unexpected plus: I just set up some white Closetmaid shoe cube units and I bought white bins that fit into the cubes and I have just enough room left in the width of each cube to fit these binders so I'll get the maximum storage value out of each cube.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow love this system, I have been in the process of changing everything to binders and craft mate storage system, but I like this better. I wish the shipping to Canada didn't cost more than the system itself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just received my order of these binders. I recently purchased my first set of photopolymer stamps to try. My stamp set has a matching die set which I also purchased, so I thought these would be perfect. There are only 2 things I am not crazy about. The first is the cases are translucent and I am worried about them not blocking enough light to protect my stamps. They have covers I can slide an insert into to provide more of a light barrier, but this defeats the whole purpose of purchasing the cases in colors. Also, I hate having to split my set into 2 in order to fit. I noticed that SP and company mentioned they are reconfiguring their stamp sets from 4x6 to smaller ones to fit this system. I wonder why they just didn't go with a larger 5x7 binder? Aside from those minor issues, it is a very nice system. I may stick with it if I can ever get past having my sets split.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #13  

Just had to share as an fyi plus you might get a laugh (at my expense...).

I was trying out the magnetic sheets and the dies kept falling off of the magnetic sheet. Exasperated and disappointed, I was getting ready to contact the company when a light bulb went off (better late than never?) and I tried putting my dies onto the opposite side of the magnetic sheet and they stayed put, so (for those who don't know) there is a 'wrong' and a 'right' side to the magnetic sheets.

Yep, this little system is a 'keeper'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
I just received my order of these binders. I recently purchased my first set of photopolymer stamps to try. My stamp set has a matching die set which I also purchased, so I thought these would be perfect. There are only 2 things I am not crazy about. The first is the cases are translucent and I am worried about them not blocking enough light to protect my stamps. They have covers I can slide an insert into to provide more of a light barrier, but this defeats the whole purpose of purchasing the cases in colors. Also, I hate having to split my set into 2 in order to fit. I noticed that SP and company mentioned they are reconfiguring their stamp sets from 4x6 to smaller ones to fit this system. I wonder why they just didn't go with a larger 5x7 binder? Aside from those minor issues, it is a very nice system. I may stick with it if I can ever get past having my sets split.
You'll have to let us know how you like the stamp/die combo in the binders. I am just using it for the metal dies, which works really well for me. I have a ton of baskets of stamps and they are all different brands. I'm considering a Clip It Up for my stamps. Do keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Just had to share as an fyi plus you might get a laugh (at my expense...).

I was trying out the magnetic sheets and the dies kept falling off of the magnetic sheet. Exasperated and disappointed, I was getting ready to contact the company when a light bulb went off (better late than never?) and I tried putting my dies onto the opposite side of the magnetic sheet and they stayed put, so (for those who don't know) there is a 'wrong' and a 'right' side to the magnetic sheets.

Yep, this little system is a 'keeper'
Now--that's really funny! I'm so glad you figured it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

You'll have to let us know how you like the stamp/die combo in the binders. I am just using it for the metal dies, which works really well for me. I have a ton of baskets of stamps and they are all different brands. I'm considering a Clip It Up for my stamps. Do keep us posted!
I love the combo of having my coordinating stamps and dies together. I was just thinking about how much I love this system so far, but then today I received my second order of stamps from Lawn Fawn. There is a 5 1/2 inch border stamp that won't fit :(. Looks like I'm going to have to keep looking for another type of clear stamp storage. I wish these were bigger because they are perfect otherwise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, I am Sami, the owner of SP & Co so I wanted to come on here and say "HI". HI!

I am really glad you love the binders! I have been swamped lately, but JUST finished organizing all my stamps & dies into the SP Storage Binder System tonight. I've had all my stamps & dies in the binders all willy nilly and not labeled/organized. Now I can easily find what I need.

Before I was using DVDs and CDs and just not happy with them at all. Plus I didn't have a good solution for my dies (I just had them in a dump bin lol).

Thank you so much for sharing your praise, comments, and concerns about our new system! Overall I think it is a great system, but like every system, it's got some cons & it isn't right for everyone.

To answer some of the questions/concerns raised:

I went with the smaller binders because the big ole 7x9 or whatever binders are huge and bulky and don't fit into a lot of stamper's current stamp storage (shelving, dvd sized media storage, bins, etc). Before deciding on these, I got samples of lots of different sizes and I fell in love with the ones that we picked.

I've personally tried out the big clunky binders in the past and was never happy with them AT ALL. I found them, well, big and clunky! lol They were heavy & too many stamps fit into one so it wasn't easy to keep things well organized. I didn't want tons of stamps stuffed into a larger binder, and I didn't want to have to flip trough tons of pages to find what I needed.

I understand that they aren't a solution for every die or every stamp out there. Some of our older sets contain borders that are 5.5inches long so they don't fit inside the page protectors for the binders. What I did for those is I put all the smaller stamps inside the page protector on the regular acetate, then I stuck the longer stamp on the outside of that page protector. So the stamp set is still together.

MOST of the stamp storage solutions out there are all clear-ish so I am not sure how ours are much different in regards to protecting your stamps from the sunlight. Obviously no photopolymer stamps should be stored in direct sunlight.

Many stampers leave their stamps in the totally clear poly bags that most stamp sets are packaged in so I don't think you have too much to worry about unless you are sitting them right in the sun.

I personally don't like having my sets split up either which is why our sets are being reconfigured, like you mentioned. On the plus side, one smaller sheet is easier to take out of the page protector than a big old clunky sheet so I think the set being split up has worked out better for me in actual usage.

And Canadian shipping (any international shipping) is a total nightmare since the USPS raised the prices so drastically. I am so sorry but there's nothing I can really do about the rates. I am trying to find a better shipping alternative because I know the rates are crazy. I am working on getting a shipping account someplace else to see if I can get better rates for our international customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

OOps, duplicate post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was so hung up on trying to get everything to fit inside the sleeves, that it didn't even occur to me to place the border on the outside. Good idea! I'm really loving these binders.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Just one small question, how many magnetic sheets fit into one binder? I have vent covers and tried putting them into a large binder in plastic sleeves, they were far too heavy.
I have the vent covers in a drawer with the dies laid on them, worked well but now I have too many dies to fit in the one drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Arizona, I know right!? Sometimes it's the smallest things that make such a huge difference. The binders are about 6 inches long do the pages still flip great even with a longer stamp on the outside of the page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan31View Post
Just one small question, how many magnetic sheets fit into one binder? I have vent covers and tried putting them into a large binder in plastic sleeves, they were far too heavy.
I have the vent covers in a drawer with the dies laid on them, worked well but now I have too many dies to fit in the one drawer.
16-18 magnetic pages plus wafer thin dies fit inside one binder but they get a little heavy when they are full of just dies. The pages still flip perfectly at that point though.

I did a little video showing the system so you can get an idea of what it is like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOz1KP5zALQ&sns=em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the info Samantha Are the pink binders still a few months away from being available?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Samantha, thank you for posting on this thread.
Yeah, sure has made on-line shopping a pain with the new shipping charges. Sadly many things are still not easily available here and I live in a big city. We have a few LSS, but I don't want to drive all over the city either.
When you get it figured out about the shipping or maybe find a distributor in Canada. We do have a Scrapbook Expo in some cities, maybe a booth (that would depend on your time) would help with Canadian sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Amydav, yes still a while off. I have a meeting today about them and I should know more later today
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I see that SP is closed until the 25th. Can someone tell me what the cost of the storage system is and what it comes with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't recall what exactly came with it, but the binder was about $3.00 and I want to say the magnetic sheets came in a set of 6 maybe???? for about the same price. I do not remember for sure, though! Sami has her store closed while she is moving, but she's good about communicating once she has access to the internet I'm sure she'll be back at it. You may try asking on the SP&Co Facebook page?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I don't recall what exactly came with it, but the binder was about $3.00 and I want to say the magnetic sheets came in a set of 6 maybe???? for about the same price. I do not remember for sure, though! Sami has her store closed while she is moving, but she's good about communicating once she has access to the internet I'm sure she'll be back at it. You may try asking on the SP&Co Facebook page?

Thanks! Didn't think about looking for the FB page. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I think I might have to take an extra suitcase next time we visit our son in San Francisco for these binders, last time I bought three packs of magnetic vent covers, my DH was expecting to have to leave all his clothes at our sons so I could have his weight allowance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep my dies(only have a few, in the original plastic packaging. I store them in a folder with sleeves. I can label what die it is and keep them clean. The folder has an elastic closure , so nothing can fall out. I find this works for me and the folder was 4.99 at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding. We are in the middle of moving to another state. We got everything moved into the house yesterday & got internet back today. Yippee! Now the unpacking begins lol.

Lisa, I think I had already written to you about the pricing of everything. The binders are now back in stock except the Clown Fish color. All the inserts except the magnetic sheets are back in stock, but I am restocking the sold out items ASAP.
SP Storage Binder System : SP and Company, Daringly Delightful Stamps by Samantha Peyton
Reply With Quote Likes