Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette (Cameo)

I will be purchasing a Silhoutte Cameo soon, and I want to order extras so I have them on hand when I need them. I plan to order an extra blade, should I order another cutting mat too? Are there any other items should I stock up on when I order?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I love having 2 mats. I'll have one in the machine and one waiting then once the 2nd one is in, I'll start working on removing the first cut from the mat.

I highly recommend a scraper tool for cleaning small bits off the mat too. I got mine from IKEA (it's actually a scraper for dishes), but Silhouette has one too. There are others but that would depend on what you'll be cutting but for paper these will have you all set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I bought an extra blade, the scrapper and the spatula. The spatula is very handy for lifting fine detailed cuts off the mat . It has a smooth flat edge so it won't gouge your mat .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an expired credit card as a scraper... works great!

I'd definitely get an extra blade, extra cutting mat, and a spatula.

I also use one of Tim Holtz's die picks quite a bit to get those little pieces popped out that stay attached to the cut out: *Tim Holtz Sizzix DIE PICK Tool 657498

Last edited by Cinnistew; 02-20-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
I use an expired credit card as a scraper... works great!

I'd definitely get an extra blade, extra cutting mat, and a spatula.

I also use one of Tim Holtz's die picks quite a bit to get those little pieces popped out that stay attached to the cut out: *Tim Holtz Sizzix DIE PICK Tool 657498
Great idea using a credit card. I use my driver's license to scrape ice off my side mirrors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have 6 mats, however, I do a lot of card making. Did you know you can use the Cricut mats if you cant find the Silhouette mats? And you can get the Cricut mats at Michaels with a coupon.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I've used Cricut mats but I started having too many problems with them. For one, they are so sticky that it takes forever to un-sticky them to the point where my hands hurt. Also, I don't know if it was caused by an update on the silhouette software but I had trouble with print n cut. The Cricut mats are very good for large shapes with little or no detail but for everything else, I prefer the hassle free silhouette mats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Leeann it's the new update that is causing problems with Print & Cut. Don't feel bad it's not the Cricut mats or you.

Make your own Silhouette Cutting Mat-
Make Your Own Mat for Cricut, Silhouette Cameo, KNK Zing and Other Die Cutting Machines

Definitely need a spatula. You can use an art palette knife or a cake decorating knife. I use an artist palette knife. I have a Slice spatula too. I like my palette knife because it's thinner so I can remove my delicate cuts from the mat gently.

I use an old gift card to scrape my mats clean.

Pick to poke all the little bitty pieces out of your cut. You can use a dental pick. I use a dental pick and the Sizzix pick. The Sizzix pick is just like the one Cinnistew linked but my pick is blue. Tim loves his brown.

Glass nail file to sand down the little burrs that can happen on some of your die cuts.

Pair of fine detailed scissors and an Xacto knife. No matter who makes the file or how wonderful it is you will get errors in files from time to time. You will need to do a bit of surgery.

A little notebook to keep notes of cut settings for materials you use. You can also make a note pad entry and store it on your computer, tablet or phone.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I have both the 12 x 24 and the 12 x 12 mats. Even when cutting item that fit on 12 x 12, if I cutting multiples, I still set up the 12 x 24 and cut several at a time. I am also a believer in a spare blade and multiple mats. I hate having to stop cutting to clean off a mat

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Thank you all for so many ideas, there some I didn't even think about. I really like the idea of keeping cutting notes for different materials. One of the main reasons I want the Cameo is to create stencils and vinyl quotes.

Where is the best place online to buy the Cameo and all the different accesories? Also what type of vinyl is best for the wall quotes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the pick tool from Silhouette, if you're going to be doing any vinyl cutting it's a must have.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I use all kinds of tools that I've found around home, or for cheap (usually the dollar store). I found a set of plastic putty knifes at the dollar store that work beautifully for lifting my cuts off the mat and the wider one for scraping the debris off. Another thing I found at the dollar store are the flexible cutting mats and craft mats. They're about the same thickness as stencil plastic, but you get a WHOLE lot more for your dollar. I just use my xyron cartridge and put adhesive on them and they work like the original mat (which I still have and use).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I use all kinds of tools that I've found around home, or for cheap (usually the dollar store). I found a set of plastic putty knifes at the dollar store that work beautifully for lifting my cuts off the mat and the wider one for scraping the debris off. Another thing I found at the dollar store are the flexible cutting mats and craft mats. They're about the same thickness as stencil plastic, but you get a WHOLE lot more for your dollar. I just use my xyron cartridge and put adhesive on them and they work like the original mat (which I still have and use).

I love my Dollar Stores. I am not joking but I think of my Dollar Stores as craft stores. I am always like "I am going to my favorite craft store this week!" Then I head to the Dollar Tree, lol. Who needs Michael's when you have Dollar Tree! What is funny one of my DT's is right next door to Michael's.

I have set of those plastic putty knives. They are in my toolbox though. I never thought of using them for my die cutting tools. That is a really good idea.

I LOVE those plastic cutting mats. I always have two on hand for things. I am spoiled and want my quilter's template for cutting mats. I like the grids. I do think the DT mats make great cutting mats. I made one for my Silhouette SD a couple of years ago. It was a really good mat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I was just at Dollar Tree yesterday! Where would I find these mats? What are they called? I'll go back
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post
I was just at Dollar Tree yesterday! Where would I find these mats? What are they called? I'll go back
You should be able to find them with the kitchen stuff. The ones I have are called flexible chopping mats. Also, look where the kids crafting stuff is for the bigger crafting mats. They kind of look like a crazy carpet - if you're old enough to remember those ...
Reply With Quote Likes