Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Postal Service changing - CHALLENGE!!

I have been reading and watching the tv this morning seeing that the Postal Service is in trouble. I can understand with so many things going "electronically", paying bills online, etc.... And it doesn't help that the postal rates are going up.

My challenge to everyone is to send at least 5 cards to friends or family. I just sent out 8 cards this morning.

Not asking that you do this every day, but try to do it at least once a month. Join the RAK list or BRAK list on SCS.

Let's share our talent. There are a lot of us stamps and scrappers to show the PO our support.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in! I send quite a few cards each month anyway. I'm with you about supporting the Post Office. People complain about it a lot, but I'm sure we all take it for granted, since it's always been there. I know we would miss it terribly if we didn't have it.

When you consider how many millions of pieces of mail is processed each day, I think they do a great job.

I mailed a birthday package to Texas recently, and it cost more than I had anticipated - but way less than UPS or Fed Ex for a small package. The post office has become more convenient, with the self-service machines in the lobby, and being able to use their online services for mailing, too. I know small businesses rely on it a lot.

No telling what the alternative would be, if it went totally privatized.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
No telling what the alternative would be, if it went totally privatized.
Considering UPS and FedEx use "smartpost" and hand over their packages to the post office for delivery, you'd think that people would realize the private sector DOES NOT do it better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Emily - I was just telling a friend of mine this morning that my UPS packages were delivered via my USPS carrier. I adore my USPS carrier!!! He is so wonderful. Always brings treats for my dogs, talkative, personable, really wonderful.

Bugga - you are so right,no telling what the alternative is. USPS not only deals with our mail, but all of the advertisements as well. Carrying around those heavy bags, etc... in all of the weather. I have the utmost respect for my carrier.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrzaworskiView Post
Emily - I was just telling a friend of mine this morning that my UPS packages were delivered via my USPS carrier. I adore my USPS carrier!!! He is so wonderful. Always brings treats for my dogs, talkative, personable, really wonderful.

Bugga - you are so right,no telling what the alternative is. USPS not only deals with our mail, but all of the advertisements as well. Carrying around those heavy bags, etc... in all of the weather. I have the utmost respect for my carrier.
I have been trying to do this for awhile because I really like my postal carrier, too. One time he forgot to put my package in the mail box and brought it to me (in his personal vehicle) after hours. I thought that was so nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I am Soooooooooo mad about this!

I refuse to pay bills online, period! Just because of the PO going "bankrupted" . I have supported the PO way to much in the pasted with PIF image threads and mailing cards. I have taken a brake this last year because I have not been feeling well to make cards, but I soon plan to be back in the swing of crafting!

In the past I have spent up to $10 in one week on postage sending out PIF images and over $2 in postage for just one hand made card.

Needless to say, I am "done supporting" the United State Post Office" as I have "spent my money" on postage.

Also my hours have been tremendously cut at work. Last week I worked 8 hours, this week 14 hours and next week I have 12 hours. That's retail for you! As the "Holiday season" is over with so is the consumers spending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Also I want to add, I have been living a my new house for two years now. At least 3-4 times a week, I get mail delivered twice in one day.

Who gets mail delivered twice in one day?????ME that's who :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I am Soooooooooo mad about this!

I refuse to pay bills online, period! Just because of the PO going "bankrupted" . I have supported the PO way to much in the pasted with PIF image threads and mailing cards. I have taken a brake this last year because I have not been feeling well to make cards, but I soon plan to be back in the swing of crafting!

In the past I have spent up to $10 in one week on postage sending out PIF images and over $2 in postage for just one hand made card.

Needless to say, I am "done supporting" the United State Post Office" as I have "spent my money" on postage.
Be mad at Congress. They're the ones who tied up all the USPS's operating funds to funds decades of pensions and health benefits ahead of time so that they can't access the capital for day to day expenditures.

I also fail to understand why people get so annoyed at the price of postage. I just paid $5 to have a $7 yankee candle holder shipped to me. I hate paying that much proportionally to an item, but for crying out loud, it would cost me $25 in gas just to get to the nearest store that has the item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know that there is plenty of blame to go around for the things that have gone wrong with the way government in a whole has run different things.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to let them stop me in doing something i love to do. So please, don't let it stop you!

I would love to get a card in the mail from ANYONE on ANY DAY than get a bill in the mail or the junk mail that comes.

EMBRACE sending your cards... it makes so many people happy!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just had to pop and say thanks for the support on behalf of my husband, a USPS letter carrier. Think of all the jobs that will be lost with only five-day delivery...ack!

Want to see the rest of My Gallery?

Check out the Creative Crew for some great Stampin' Up inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Be mad at Congress. They're the ones who tied up all the USPS's operating funds to funds decades of pensions and health benefits ahead of time so that they can't access the capital for day to day expenditures.

I also fail to understand why people get so annoyed at the price of postage. I just paid $5 to have a $7 yankee candle holder shipped to me. I hate paying that much proportionally to an item, but for crying out loud, it would cost me $25 in gas just to get to the nearest store that has the item.
This is exactly why I am so upset. The pensions fund that has put the PO in the situation it is in. Grant you the USPS charges is more affordable than other company charges are so this is why I only use USPS for mailing and when I and internet order :p

But when I internet order I sure make it worth it for the postage cost, you sure must of wanted the candle holder to only order the one item, but it sure bets the gas cost. Gas cost is a whole other thread topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrzaworskiView Post
I know that there is plenty of blame to go around for the things that have gone wrong with the way government in a whole has run different things.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to let them stop me in doing something i love to do. So please, don't let it stop you!

I would love to get a card in the mail from ANYONE on ANY DAY than get a bill in the mail or the junk mail that comes.

EMBRACE sending your cards... it makes so many people happy!
I am not going to stop sending cards out, but I am sure going to be more selective and wise as to making cards so they are not overly heavy with embellishments so they don't cost an arm and an leg in postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post

This has been an under-reported story, and I'll bet most people don't know about it. The intent of some in Congress who want "smaller government" is to privatize many of the services we rely on. The end result will be private corporations who will run our schools, already run many of our prisons, and probably the post office eventually.

This will not necessarily result in better services or cheaper rates, just better profits for the corporations who get the business.

Okay, off my soap box now. I forgot this is not the CE forum.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

My fella is worried because the carriers with "seniority" are going to be able to choose what job they want and the lower fella's are going to be the ones hurting.

Like I told my guy, the seniority ones might be the ones in the office and they might be putting foot to mailbox taking his job. I am worried about him because he has 5 kids, and his oldest, twins, are in college.

You guys are right, this is under-reported and really needs to get out there. And the government shouldn't be trying to make this a profitable part of the sector. So sad.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I don't want Saturday delivery to go away! I'm hoping this doesn't go through.

First, if they can bail out the banks and the auto industry, why can't they save the USPS? That makes no sense to me.

Second, I personally think the USPS does a great job. UPS and FedEx are like ninjas. They throw packages on my porch and are back in their trucks before I even realize they were there. My mail carrier says hello when she delivers the mail, if I'm around, and if there's a package she brings it right to my door and rings the bell.

Third, we are all going to have to plan for extra transit time for birthday cards now, especially for birthdays that fall on Saturday.

Fourth, I don't exactly understand how this move is going to save them so much money if they are still planning on delivering packages and some other types of mail on Saturday.

Ugh. I"m not happy but I am going to make extra Valentine cards to mail out next week. Maybe I'll make one for my mail carrier.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I mailed 8 Valentine's and a birthday card today. I'm probably the only one in my family who sends cards, the younger relatives send e cards or none at all, and my daughter usually calls or else it's feast or famine: nothing or a card and flowers! I'm constantly teased about all my cards but they are appreciated. Last year I even sent a few St. Patrick's day cards with the inside sentiment: St. Patrick's Day, another excuse to send a card - they loved it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I refuse to pay my bills on line, I mail them all. I figure it keeps my mailman son working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's so nice to hear support for the USPS and its workers on this thread. My dad took a job with the USPS in 1989 since we needed the extra income to save our farm. As a city letter carrier in a small town (Pop. 2500) my dad not only delivers the mail to all his business and residential customers, he's a set of caring eyes that watches out for the elderly customers on his route and always has time to talk to the little kids who come to see the mailman.

The USPS receives no tax payer dollars, is not allowed to run retail locations that would help offset costs, and as many have mentioned, it the only government agency that must pre-fund its retirement pension account. I guarantee you that that money is not sitting in the pension fund. I'm sure it's filled with IOUs as it's been raided by countless congresses and administrations.

From what I understand, package deliveries will continue on Saturday and if your postoffice is currently open on Saturdays, that will remain the case. The post office is hoping to not eliminate jobs but rather cut over time and cull jobs through attrition.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I was in Canada in the Spring and imagine my surprise when the person I was with said that I would have to find a drugstore to mail my packages from since it would be hard to find a Post Office. And the cost to ship the package was more than what I would pay to ship from the US.

AND, in his neighborhood they don't deliver door to door, just to one big mail center. He has do drive through the snow to get his mail

I thank my lucky stars every day that our Post Office delivers, is cost effective and picks up (generally).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think someone else already mentioned it - but with this challenge a card mailed card to our local post offices would probably bring a smile to their eyes too!

I always have a good laugh in there. Even the time sending a package back to my son at university because he managed to go back at Thanksgiving with only the shoes on his feet - he had brought dress/flipflops/snow boots home... I had a good laugh with the ladies as I declared what was in that package and fun discussion on whether it was hazardous materials (teenage boy shoes - still not certain!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Consider that the USPS has the largest vehicle fleet in the world. Then consider what happens to their cost of operations when the price of gas continues to rise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Consider that the USPS has the largest vehicle fleet in the world. Then consider what happens to their cost of operations when the price of gas continues to rise.
True - and something I did not know until recently when my mail lady told me...

Many mail deliverers are contract employees and contract with the Post Office for the mail routes they service. They are "official" mail carriers, wear the Post Office uniform, and must provide their own vehicle for delivering mail. They most often work in suburban residential areas, where the mail boxes are all along the curbs in front of the houses.

Our conversation started because I said something to her about the cute little US Post office "truck" she drives that scoots right up next to my mail box at the curb. She said she was glad I thought it was cute, because she had paid quite a bit for it. I was surprised to hear that she had to buy it. Once I understood she was a contractor, it made more sense.

Reply With Quote Likes