Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #161  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmommyView Post
She's on her way!!! yep my cameo will be delivered tomorrow. I'm so excited, I have watched so many how-to videos and done all kinds of research. I'm so excited I just wanted to share the news!!!
Congrats! You will love it! I know I do, I've had mine for almost 4 months. There is a learning curve...before you make your first cut make sure you unstick your mat. I also suggest you use your "ugly" paper/cardstock to get a feel for cutting and using the mat. Enjoy your machines ladies! One other suggestion check out: Silhouette Plus Forum (do a search since I don't know how to give you the link.:confused The ladies there are equally as great as here and there are tutorials, tips and free cutting files. doilies, flowers, boxes, etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #162  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks craftykarla for the great tips. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #163  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't see this thread with all the wonderful resources until AFTER I paid for a class at Online Card Classes. However, the class is fabulous and well wort the $25. Even though the live class is over, you can still watch all the tutorials by very well known people in the stamping industry (Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, etc). Has basic to intermediate tutorials. I recommend it.
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #164  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
yes, just right click on "My Library" and it will pop up asking if you want to create a new folder. After you've created a new folder, just drag and drop.
Thank you for this post, I was wondering how to do that.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

I design for Blue Knight Rubber Stamps.
F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #165  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm new to the Cameo and I need help. I've cut out a detailed tea cup image and want to make a solid cardstock backing for it. I don't know how to remove the cut lines and make it into a solid image. Please help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #166  

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoliebeanView Post
I'm new to the Cameo and I need help. I've cut out a detailed tea cup image and want to make a solid cardstock backing for it. I don't know how to remove the cut lines and make it into a solid image. Please help
I am pretty new too and I don't know a bunch about my machine either. On the right side above where you would go into your library-go up from there, you will see draw, knife and then erase. Click on the eraser - you will see a dot on your teacup. Take your mouse and drag the dot over the lines you want removed. Then let up on your mouse - you will then see if all the lines are removed. Sometimes I have to erase about 3-4 times to get it erased.

That is the only way I know to do it.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #167  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Up in the top right-hand side, there is a button call "Offset". You can use that to create an outline of the shape and it will cut solid. Just remember to move the original shape off the mat and leave your outline in the cutting area. Believe me, I've forgotten to do that a couple time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #168  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

You would use the offset feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMGl3ml4OU
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #169  

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabcre8tiveView Post
I am pretty new too and I don't know a bunch about my machine either. On the right side above where you would go into your library-go up from there, you will see draw, knife and then erase. Click on the eraser - you will see a dot on your teacup. Take your mouse and drag the dot over the lines you want removed. Then let up on your mouse - you will then see if all the lines are removed. Sometimes I have to erase about 3-4 times to get it erased.

That is the only way I know to do it.
Ooops, sorry it is on the left.

Good to see the other replies so I have learned something new. Thanks.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #170  
Stampin' Fool

I took advantage of the recent sale on the new silhouette chipboard. It came pretty quickly but I haven't tried it yet. Did anyone else get some and try it?

Blog Paper Rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #171  
Embossing Fanatic

Has anyone else experienced a problem downloading Silhouette Studio Version 2.7.18 from the Silhouette website?

My, just received, Cameo Silhouette came with software version 2.4.0, which I installed on my computer. . From the Silhouette website, I tried to download software update, version 2.7.18, no less than 10 times today, on 4 different computers, using Internet Explorer 10 and Chrome. Each time it hung up at about 1/3 through the download. When using Chrome, after about 15 � 20 minutes in, I get the message �Failed � Network error�. When using Internet Explorer 10, it just stops downloading about 5 - 10 minutes into the download. I have tried on computers running Window 8 (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit) and Windows Vista (32-bit). I have reliable and fast broadband internet service, so I don�t think that is the problem. I called Silhouette support twice today and asked if they could please just email me the software in a zip file. The person I spoke with tried to be as helpful as possible, but, unfortunately, she could not email me the software.

I am hoping I am not the only person that has experienced this problem, and hopefully, someone has found a solution. It is so frustrating�

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or word of a solution.

lmbs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #172  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmbsView Post
Has anyone else experienced a problem downloading Silhouette Studio Version 2.7.18 from the Silhouette website?

My, just received, Cameo Silhouette came with software version 2.4.0, which I installed on my computer. . From the Silhouette website, I tried to download software update, version 2.7.18, no less than 10 times today, on 4 different computers, using Internet Explorer 10 and Chrome. Each time it hung up at about 1/3 through the download. When using Chrome, after about 15 � 20 minutes in, I get the message �Failed � Network error�. When using Internet Explorer 10, it just stops downloading about 5 - 10 minutes into the download. I have tried on computers running Window 8 (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit) and Windows Vista (32-bit). I have reliable and fast broadband internet service, so I don�t think that is the problem. I called Silhouette support twice today and asked if they could please just email me the software in a zip file. The person I spoke with tried to be as helpful as possible, but, unfortunately, she could not email me the software.

I am hoping I am not the only person that has experienced this problem, and hopefully, someone has found a solution. It is so frustrating�

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or word of a solution.

lmbs
I will check what version I have, as I only got mine less then a month ago and I downloaded an updated version but I am not sure what one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #173  
Hardware Hotshot

Is anyone else having a bit of an issue with card stock sticking a bit to well to the mat? I am having to pry and nearly damage my cardstock sometimes to get it off the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #174  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Is anyone else having a bit of an issue with card stock sticking a bit to well to the mat? I am having to pry and nearly damage my cardstock sometimes to get it off the mat.
I take it your mat is brand new? Take your mat and stick the sticky side of the mat to a velour-type fabric half a dozen times. That will reduce the stickiness to a much better level and you won't damage your cardstock removing it from the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #175  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I will check what version I have, as I only got mine less then a month ago and I downloaded an updated version but I am not sure what one.
To find the version you have click on the words "Silhouette Studio" on the top menu bar. You will get a drop down menu. Click on " About Silhouette Studio " and it will show the version you have. Perhaps you have the latest edition.
I didn't have a problem updating my software so I can't be of help there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #176  
Crimping Master

Default Silhouette chipboard settings

Does anyone know what are the settings for the chipboard that Silhouette sells? Thanks and any other advice? I rally want to be able to cut this.

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #177  
Mad Swapper

I just stumbled upon the Silhouette site and noticed the Cameo plus heat transfer kit is only $269.00 for the next two days. I've been kinda looking at buying one, but not seriously as I have Cricut plus about 120 cartridges and I'm getting the hang of CCR. I realize that the Cameo allows you to create whatever you want which is amazing, but I am not a very computer friendly person and I'm definitely slow to learn new programs. Can someone enlighten me on what the switch over from Cricut will be like? Is the sale right now something that happens frequently? I could easily buy the thing today on my AMEX, but I really don't have the money right now as we're going to Europe in a week. But I am prone to fits of unnecessary shopping when required!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #178  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmbsView Post
lmbs

I have checked and mine is 2.7.18 it downloaded OK, but every couple of times I go to use it my laptop starts looking for drivers, so I try to fix it but it tells me I have the most up to date version and I close it down and it works fine.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #179  
Hardware Hotshot

Exclamation Warning!

Be very careful with your mat, I didn't realise I had picked up some glue such as a pop dot or some glue of packaging on the bottom of my mat, and when I started cutting my machine started making weird noises. I opened it while it was cutting to see what has going on and I couldn't see anything but I could see that the white sliding rollers appeared to stop spinning and almost 'hop' and I could see on the card I was cutting that it wasn't cutting correctly.

It took 3 different attempts to figure out was wrong, the glue had got onto the bottom roll bar so the mat was sticking to it preventing it from moving. I am pretty sure if I hadn't got it off (thank you Goo Gone) it would have damaged the machine.

I must of picked up the glue when I had taken the mat back to my main desk area to work on a card. I am going to change my process and remove the card and cut outs when I am at my silhouette and leave the mat with the machine so that it can not come in contact glue or anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #180  
Glitter Queen

I just got my Silhouette Cameo a couple of days ago and have been wondering.......Can I cut the images from Silhouette America using the Studio software that came with my machine or do I need to upgrade to the Designer software? I don't want to use my downloads cards on images I can't cut just yet. May have to use the card for new software first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #181  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannyDiView Post
I just got my Silhouette Cameo a couple of days ago and have been wondering.......Can I cut the images from Silhouette America using the Studio software that came with my machine or do I need to upgrade to the Designer software? I don't want to use my downloads cards on images I can't cut just yet. May have to use the card for new software first!
You can use the files from Silhouette with the free version of Silhouette Studio that came with your Cameo. I would get to know the software and have fun cutting before you consider upgrading to the DE. I have the DE and other than importing svgs, I don't use a lot of the other features simply because I learned how to do it in the free version to begin with. You can buy a lot of designs for the price of the DE software.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #182  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

You can cut or print and cut any images from the Silhouette Store with the software that came with the machine. You don't need the Designer software to use the machine

The Designer software has additional features including the ability to cut any SVG file from another company . It also has a ruler, Rhinestone tool, sketch tools and an enhanced eraser.
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #183  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

As has been said you can cut those designs on the software that came with it, and check out Youtube as there are lots of really helpful tutorials which show you how you can cut other file formats on this software as well. I had planned to buy the upgraded software straight away, but found that for now I can do all that I want with the 'free one' until such time as I come across something I have to make that I can't do in the free one I will not be upgrading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #184  
Hardware Hotshot

If you think you want the Designer Edition watch for it to be on sale. I registered for the Silhouette newsletter and they offer sales quite often.
I bought the Designer Edition when Silhouette had a 1/2 price sale on it .

I only wanted to be able to use SVG files. Many blogs have freebies and they are often SVG files
I like the fact that Silhouette have nice discount offers for current customers and great customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #185  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wondering if anyone has cut acetate stencils with their Cameo? What thickness acetate did you use and at what settings?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #186  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Arizona, I haven't used acetate, but I have cut myself many stencils using Overhead Projector Film, I bought mine from Staples. I just used a med weight cardstock setting, and a fairly slow speed. It was a bit of trial & error to get it right, but it makes great stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #187  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, thanks! I'll give the overhead film a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #188  

Has anyone had success in cutting any of the Silhouette Studio overlays? I have tried to get a good cut with about every blade setting there is. I tried 3 different overlays and have had no success in getting a decent cut. I even broke out a new blade to make sure it was not a dull blade. It may be dull now that I have cut several hours with it ripping the paper or not cutting at all.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #189  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Has anyone had success in cutting any of the Silhouette Studio overlays? I have tried to get a good cut with about every blade setting there is. I tried 3 different overlays and have had no success in getting a decent cut. I even broke out a new blade to make sure it was not a dull blade. It may be dull now that I have cut several hours with it ripping the paper or not cutting at all.
What do you mean by "overlays" ? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #190  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
What do you mean by "overlays" ? :confused:
It is something I bought in the Silhouette store and their term for them is overlays. Basically it looks like a fancy grid.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #191  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

It is something I bought in the Silhouette store and their term for them is overlays. Basically it looks like a fancy grid.
Thanks I looked in the Silhouette store and saw them. You put photos behind the cut out sections.

I wonder if the problem is your CS or paper. I had some serious issues with certain CS. I found CS at Papertemptress and it works great.

I used some black SU card stock and it cut wonky and the fibers imbedded into my mat. I had a major mess cleaning my mat, it would not scrape off. I had to scrape and clean the mat down to clear and re-stick it
Not all SU CS is a problem just some of the colors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #192  

Quote:

Thanks I looked in the Silhouette store and saw them. You put photos behind the cut out sections.

I wonder if the problem is your CS or paper. I had some serious issues with certain CS. I found CS at Papertemptress and it works great.

I used some black SU card stock and it cut wonky and the fibers imbedded into my mat. I had a major mess cleaning my mat, it would not scrape off. I had to scrape and clean the mat down to clear and re-stick it
I used Bazzill and it was terrible. Then I tried su and it was better, but not good.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #193  

Quote:

Later I tried several other intricate cuts. Some of them cut fine on one side and not on the other side. I thought that was strange. I will have to try other brands of cardstock.

Thank you for your input.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #194  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Later I tried several other intricate cuts. Some of them cut fine on one side and not on the other side. I thought that was strange. I will have to try other brands of cardstock.

Thank you for your input.
There is a thread somewhere where people were discussing various brands of CS that work well with a Silhouette . I am not the only one who found certain CS doesn't cut well with an electronic cutter. Maybe some one knows where that thread is located
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #195  

Quote:

There is a thread somewhere where people were discussing various brands of CS that work well with a Silhouette . I am not the only one who found certain CS doesn't cut well with an electronic cutter. Maybe some one knows where that thread is located
Thanks, I definitely need some different card stock. I have all these intricut files that I cannot use until I find one that works. Hopefully some one will let me know where to find the thread.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #196  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't had a chance to play with my Cameo yet, but on my Sil SD some thicker cardstock like Gina K and Bazzile had to be double cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #197  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
I haven't had a chance to play with my Cameo yet, but on my Sil SD some thicker cardstock like Gina K and Bazzile had to be double cut.
I tried double cut, but didn't get great results. I have some Gina K white that I will try. I had no luck with the bazzill paper.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #198  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gina K has a video about setting up and using a Cameo. She does not specify what brand of red cardstock she is using, so I assume it is her own. Her colored cardstock is listed as 100lb. The settings she used was Textured Cardstock, Speed 3 and Blade 5.

Last edited by Arizona; 07-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #199  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if this info will help anyone, but while searching e-bay for generic blades, I still have the original Silhouette, where you can just change the blade, it appears that there are a few different blades with different angles to them, 45 degree, 90 degree etc. If you have the ability to swap only the blade, I've wondered if a different angled blade may give better cuts on some cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #200  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Don't know if this info will help anyone, but while searching e-bay for generic blades, I still have the original Silhouette, where you can just change the blade, it appears that there are a few different blades with different angles to them, 45 degree, 90 degree etc. If you have the ability to swap only the blade, I've wondered if a different angled blade may give better cuts on some cardstock.
I know that steeper angle blades are used for thicker materials. I've only used the 45 degree blades on my blue-lid Craft Robo (which is what they came with). I just got my new Zing, so it comes with a thick materials blade, so I'm thinking that its probably a 60degree blade. It just makes sense since the steeper angle allows for more blade edge to be in contact with the material.
Reply With Quote Likes