Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #81  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting to revisit this. I'm not going to even go back and read whatever I said last. I'd probably just get depressed ;-)!

The fact us that I, too, thought I was doing pretty well, but then I got stuck in a dry spell and instead of just letting myself slow down and not be "productive" I made the stupid snap decision that I was stuck because "I didn't have the right stuff." So I went on a jag. Online, because that's the only access I have to anything. I didn't realize what a jag I'd gone on until the boxes started coming in, day after day. OMG.

Not that I bought anything I won't use, and the truth is I still own relatively few stamps in relation to what I read about here on the forum, and all the dies and EFs I own including Nesties will fit in one single plastic "shoebox". But the truth is also that if I didn't buy anything else at all except pure necessities like adhesives, I could make an awful lot of cards with what I have.

I think for me the issue is that after a year and a bit at this, I am starting to question what kind of cards I want to make. Some of you who are newbies like me, or are veterans who remember your beginnings probably went through something similar. I look at stamps I bought months ago and think "Huh?" But I still don't feel I know what I want to do, what direction I want to take. I am having a bit of an identity crisis. And so I start to think I can "buy" my way out of it. Which I can't. I know. I know.

So, to answer the question - in terms of Mindful Spending (great phrase!), I wish I were doing better.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-18-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually using some of the stuff I bought years ago. I'm even using some of my fancy rhinestone stuff (gasp!). I've started using up some of my monthly card kits that I bought over the last year or so and hadn't touched. I'm impressed with myself. I actually made fifty cards in two weeks which is a lot for me.
I'm a CTMH junior consultant and I'm not ready to relinquish that status, so I will be making my quarterly minimum of $100, but I plan to stick with just that and nothing else. Since I usually spend about $2200 a year, that's almost like not buying so I will be proud if I can keep to just that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #83  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My local stores have almost nothing in them to remotely tempt me and that sure helps a lot! I never impulse buy anything anymore and rarely, if ever, use a credit card. Learned a long time ago that just because something was cute or pretty didn't mean I needed it (and in every color) or would even use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #84  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go between thinking, 'I can afford to buy that and it makes me happy' and 'I have a real problem with buying and hoarding stuff and seldom making anything.'

Will let you know what I decide. :-(

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #85  
Rubber Obsessor

Cindy - you have some real words of wisdom. I don't need it all, in every color, and two of each! I know that buying for the hobby is part of the fun for me. I need the feeling to last longer than it showing up in the mail and me wondering why I ordered that! I think it's a process. So I enjoy reading how others struggle and those who have overcome the shopping addiction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #86  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

The last two on line orders I started ending up being deleted before check out due more to the fact that I could not find enough to purchase to justify the shipping costs. When the shipping ends up being more the the items in my cart, well it's time to dump the cart and walk away.
Plus the last two times I wanted to go to M's or JAnn's "with those money saving coupons" I found that the timing was just not right or I didn't really want to make the effort, or I forgot what it was I wanted so badly in the first place!! It seems to be the same stuff coming out year after year in all the stores anyway and I have enough old stuff.
I have made some purchases this year mind you, but definitely not anywhere near what I use to spend. I am enjoying making more of my own embellishments with a few new stamps, a Zutter (major purchase for the year) distrezz-it-all and silhouette cut files.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #87  
Rubber Obsessor

I did it. (maybe i should say I did it again, as I have tried to quit before!)
I cancelled my membership in my monthly kit. Now for the willpower to not succomb to the April kit! I really think this time it just might work. I've had no nervous ticks today after seeing the new kit and have not been a memer for I et a week! I think my record is several months. So I'll check back in a few weeks and let you know how I'm doing!!
I am still creating and still organizing. Just trying to hold back on the buying. A little never hurts, but $$$ spent and piles of stuff that have lost their lure after hitting the purchase button or walking out of the store, that part I'm hoping to finally get a grip on!
It's kind of freeing.
How is everyone else doing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdscrapperView Post
I did it. (maybe i should say I did it again, as I have tried to quit before!)
I cancelled my membership in my monthly kit. Now for the willpower to not succomb to the April kit! I really think this time it just might work. I've had no nervous ticks today after seeing the new kit and have not been a memer for I et a week! I think my record is several months. So I'll check back in a few weeks and let you know how I'm doing!!
I am still creating and still organizing. Just trying to hold back on the buying. A little never hurts, but $$$ spent and piles of stuff that have lost their lure after hitting the purchase button or walking out of the store, that part I'm hoping to finally get a grip on!
It's kind of freeing.
How is everyone else doing?
I did just the opposite! I just joined a kit club today! I've been "off the waggon" for nearly 2 years, and caved today - then I came and read this thread! LOL! I do plan on doing a lot of reorganizing, purging, and selling. Maybe I'll be able to make a little $ back that way. Good luck all!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #89  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought 3 clear stamps from Walmart the other day. I had $5.00 of play money on me. I'm redoing my craft shelves and making of list of what I have to keep impulses down. There is a rummage sale in town in 2 weeks. Last year they had bags of rubber stamps for $2 each. I want to go for just craft stuff. I really need Christmas stamps. i'm taking $10 and when it's gone, it's gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #90  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
A Little Birdie Told Me Oh My

I was just thinking of this thread the other day when I looked through my expenses since January :( I definitely have shown less self control this year than last. Fortunately I have 8 months left to get it together.

I am not sure why lately I seem to feel the need to spend on more supplies? I have been stamping/scrapping alot so I'm using stuff but I sure haven't used anything up :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

No cold turkey for me.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #92  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've just realized that I've gone cold turkey in everything else the last year or so. Gave up manicures and do them myself, quit getting facials, gave up the more spendy toiletries and found cheaper alternatives, we quit eating out except for birthdays and such. I didn't buy any new clothes or shoes for more than a year and a half-including unmentionables. I can't remember when I last bought a new item of jewelry except for a new battery for my old watch in 2011. I have a flip phone with no camera from 2006, a 4 year old computer and we drive 15 and 12 year old cars.
DH is really into NOT spending money so I think I've done my bit, so lately I've been getting more paper and stamping supplies. Feels good considering I've cut back everywhere else!

Last edited by Cartermrc; 10-01-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #93  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an old tracphone. I only use in emergencies. But since I have all these minutes to use I call a dear old, frail friend in GA. I call her once a week and we chat 30 min. I rarely eat out. Never buy bottled water. Carry my own snacks. My car is paid off and still runs so why buy new now? I go to yard sales to find books to read, then donate them to library for their sale in Oct. I color my own hair, saving me 120 a year.I buy clothes, coats, shoes out of season and save big money there. I'm saving other ways so sometimes I treat myself to stamping supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #94  
Rubber Obsessor

well, I'm on again, off again, on again. The off again's don't last as long as the on agains, which means I must be making some progress. I confess, I have some deliveries coming, but I did think about the purchases for awhile (like over night!) before ordering. But I think this is a learning process. What triggers it in me? Maybe I need to look at it as taking 2013 to get organized, see what I do have, and learn not to be swept up in the shopping. Or maybe that is just me rationalizing my recent spending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #95  
Rubber Obsessor

thought it time to check in to see how we're doing. I think about this thread often, but obviously for too long because I've been on a buying spree for a few months. But spending some time organizing my stamps and thought - what am I doing!! I know I was a paper junkie, but I guess I am a stamp junkie too! So, I have a few things coming my way yet - but in my defense, it is some things for my new stamp organization project which takes up less room. and a few others. But definitely I will be putting a freeze on buying, except if I really NEED something - and I mean need it. It's time to use some stuff up!!
I'm taking the orgnaizaing challengel again on The Scraprack. Tiffany does a great job teaching us how to organize our stuff and even thought it's my second time through, I'm getting some more insight and indeas!!
anybody else wnat to share how their spending habits have been lately?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #96  
Kookie Creator

I've been very good and actually proud of myself. I had not bought anything until a couple of weeks, I spent 16.79 on the clearance SU webpage. This week I decided to order a cricut cartridge that was 24.99 with some bonus money I got from work.

Although I've done this well, it doesn't look like I have made a dent in my paper supplies or anything else for that matter. And to be honest, I'm getting tired of all this old paper :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

I usually spend 2200-2500 a year and so far this year, I've only spent 826.83, so even if I do place the order I'm debating about on Nov 1 for $204, I'm still way ahead of the game.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #98  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklyngal62View Post
I've been very good and actually proud of myself. I had not bought anything until a couple of weeks, I spent 16.79 on the clearance SU webpage. This week I decided to order a cricut cartridge that was 24.99 with some bonus money I got from work.

Although I've done this well, it doesn't look like I have made a dent in my paper supplies or anything else for that matter. And to be honest, I'm getting tired of all this old paper :(
suggestion...donate the paper you don't enjoy any more to your local schools. teachers don't get much/any budget so donated paper would be a treat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #99  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the Scraprack and who is Tiffany?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #100  
Polyshrink Goddess

I read what i wrote about a year ago and I'm still broke =P I can't buy anything unless something sells in my etsy shop =P needless to say it is slow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #101  
Rubber Obsessor

Go to thescraprack.com and read up. I love her organizing system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #102  
Hardware Hotshot

Although I never completely stopped buying anything craft related, I have drastically cut back on buying things.

In the past few months I think I only bought 3 Spellbinder GRAND dies on clearance for $17.99 each at Hobby Lobby; 5 Whimsy rubber stamps, Epic black CS for my Silhouette; a few Copic refills and 2 Sizzix thinlit mini flower dies.

I have not been in a Joanns nor Michaels for months.

I am actually toying with the idea of trying to go minimalist with this hobby. I am not sure it is possible .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #103  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
...I am actually toying with the idea of trying to go minimalist with this hobby. I am not sure it is possible.
I've made a pretty good go at minimalism, and it can be lots of fun and very satisfying artistically. Give it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I've made a pretty good go at minimalism, and it can be lots of fun and very satisfying artistically. Give it a try!
So I'm very curious.... How much does one person have stampin related and can still call themselves a minimalist?

Btw I love your blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #105  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
So I'm very curious.... How much does one person have stampin related and can still call themselves a minimalist?

Btw I love your blog!
My definition of Minimalist stamping would be if "everything" fit on 2-3 shelves of a book case. So far I can't figure out how to peel it down to that !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My definition of Minimalist stamping would be if "everything" fit on 2-3 shelves of a book case. So far I can't figure out how to peel it down to that !
Hmmmmm. Maybe if the bookcase went around the entire room... Lol! There's no way I could get down to 2-3 shelves!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #107  
Hardware Hotshot

Well how did everyone do on buying craft stuff?

I bought a lot less than I did in the past , but still more than I wished. I got a bit caught up in Black Friday and Holiday sales and went over budget .

Next year I will continue to work on the minimalist stamping idea .
If fact I am gradually working toward a much more minimalist life.
I once was a true minimalist then I got into doing crafts .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #108  
Rubber Obsessor

I failed miserably the last few months. But I am ready to make some changes and start over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #109  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up well...

Quote:

Well how did everyone do on buying craft stuff?

I bought a lot less than I did in the past , but still more than I wished. I got a bit caught up in Black Friday and Holiday sales and went over budget .
Barbara I would have to agree with you. I did buy much less than in the past but a couple purchases more than I wished. I went to Archiver's Scrapfest which I'm super glad I did but while there, got caught up in the frenzy of all weekend scrapping/stamping. I have a couple more paper packs I didn't need but overall very happy with a couple new tool items. I think it's time to do one more Organization Day as I learned with last year's Organize/Purge, I'm much more creative when I can easily grab and find items I want to use. I'm not ready to go "minimalist" but would like to downsize.

I'm super happy because I put myself on a "No Altered Item" Purchase Plan until I finished at least 3 I already had. I did finish 3 but did not buy ANY more. I love to see the ideas and see them in the gallery but once I get all the stuff ... it sits. I purged all but a small box of items last year and I don't plan to have that grow.

I also have an "internal debate" going because I'd like to pass on a large box of CM Stuff I have and a box of AMuse Studio. It's all very lovely and nice stuff but I find I don't use it and here it sits collecting dust. I had friends that were demo's at one time and I bought when they sold ...

All good here, I see spending even less this year but I continue to really enjoy crafting and don't feel I'm missing out ... so that's fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #110  
Pearl-ExPert

We need a Cold Turkey 2014 thread. I did not do well at least. In fact, it is probably worse than other recent years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #111  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

For me, Minimalism is more about having what you need and nothing more...not so much about arbitrary limits. I see it as a different set-point for each stamper. I have a spacious stamping nook with enough stuff, and I use it all regularly, keep tabs on what I'm not using, get rid of excess, etc. I just posted pics of the nook on my blog. You'll see there are more than 2-3 shelves! But it's carefully edited and organized, and I regularly prune.

Plus, my minimalist style makes it fairly easy to say no to a lot of supplies I know I won't use. And I never find something I'd forgotten I had, either. That used to be a regular occurrence before I started going minimalist.

I spent a little money but not much this past year, and am feeling like I might spend a bit more in 2014. I've pruned so much--and will prune more that I'm tired of in January--that I'm starting to feel a bit restricted.

I think the whole subject of "cold turkey" vs. "spend it like you got it" is a spectrum. Finding your own balance between the two extremes is personal and changeable. What works one year might not the next. Perhaps instead of being on a stamp supply diet, we should all shop healthy and with intention when we need to.

Easier said than done, eh? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #112  
Matboard Maniac

I did just under half. I usually spend about $2200 and it looks like I've spent only $968. Hope to do better next year.
Reply With Quote Likes