Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #81  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go, Toni. I think my average for last year was around $50-75 each month.

I'm going to try real hard not buy something I don't need. The only thing I need at the moment is to replenish some of my cardstock. When I see something I think I want, I'm going to subtract the amount from my checking account. I want to spend Christmas with my daughter and granddaughters this year so I should be able to sock away enough cash for the trip. DH doesn't know he might be spending the holiday by himself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 595 Likes on 369 Posts

Great job Toni! I don't know how much I spent.....I kept a running total of only the bottom line. This year I am keeping a ledger with credit and debit columns, so I will know exactly how much I spend each month.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

I have to go to Hobby Lobby or Archiever's this weekend to buy magnets. I am demoing a mini album at card club next week and told everyone I would provide the pair of magnets for them so everyone wouldn't have to buy a package for one pair and the brass stencil I ordered a month ago from the scrapbook store in Des Moines is fianlly in. Too bad it couldn't have gotten here last week. NOT how I wanted to start out the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Angie, you will earn it back in no time. When you enter Archivers (or H.L.) just go directly to the magnets and don't look at anything they have on sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #85  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Okay, I had the nerve to add up everything for 2012. DH thinks I need to do better on the spending. But, says as long as I am enjoying it! He is sweet!

So, I will have to do better on spending although I came out ahead.
I spent $998.55. I credited myself 1344.55 and came out $346.00 ahead.
I did 97 scrap pages. I did 44 Christmas Cards (at least). I did 18 sets of calendars (12 pages each). I did 61 all occasion cards. I did 70 teapot favors and 125 bookmarks. I am sure I am leaving something out. DH only looks at what I spent. So, I hope to do better in the spending category in 2013.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

Can someone tell me some examples of what they pay themselves for different things? I don't want to over credit myself just to have an excuse to go shopping. So far since the first, I have etched 1 wine glass, 1 beer stein, and made a cute little hanging calendar for my desk at work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #87  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi_RayView Post
Can someone tell me some examples of what they pay themselves for different things? I don't want to over credit myself just to have an excuse to go shopping. So far since the first, I have etched 1 wine glass, 1 beer stein, and made a cute little hanging calendar for my desk at work.
Here is an example for my first card Favorite Techie card
I credit myself for making card .50
upload card 1.00
2 challenges 4.00 2.00 for each challenge (that is one thing I am not sure of. One is the AOCC13 challenge (does that count as a challenge?) and the first challenge for 2013 AOCC13A.
So, depending on how you do it, $5.50 or $3.50. Then when I use the card I credit myself 25 cents for actually using it.
It is just whatever you want to credit yourself for.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #88  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Everyone does it different, so decide what will work for you

Here's what I do:

Cards: 0.75
Blog posts: 1.00
Challenges completed: 0.50
Anything But a Card: 2.00
15 min. craft room clean up: 1.00
Envelopes: 0.15
Submission: 1.00
Swaps: 0.25/piece
New Item: 0.25 up to 3x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,394 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Well I've been spending but it is birthday and Christmas money so not sure it counts, I managed to buy in the joanns sale but was very disappointed with michaels, I had vouchers but they really didn't have much on the shelves. I did have to steer myself away from the ribbon as I have a drawer full but I can never resist buying more, I did use quite a bit last year though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #90  
Forum Fanatic

I do something similar to Sharon. I also credit myself for using embellishments or bling (I'm real good about not adding all the pretty stuff), doing one of the weekly tutorials, cleaning up after each project (just added that one). I even give myself credit for using my Cuttlebug, punches or Cameo cutter (yes, I need reminder to use my cool tools). I also credit myself for every 15 min. of exercising I do. I haven't figured out how to attach my laptop to my stationery bike so I can pedal while I'm drooling over everyone's galleries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #91  
Rubber Obsessor

What does everyone do for altered items like the glass etching and calendar I did? Seems like those would be more credit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #92  
Forum Fanatic

Depending how big the project is, I'd credit myself $3-$5.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #93  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

What does everyone do for altered items like the glass etching and calendar I did? Seems like those would be more credit.
I just always do $2.00 for me, but you are right, those seem like they would be more. That's the beauty in this. You really can decide what you think your project is worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

As Toni says above.........you are the one who sets the amounts!
Here is my list:
Card made $1.00
Card used $0.50
ATC or tag $0.50
Scrapbook page $2.00
Per challenge $0.50....so if a card I make meets 3 challenges, I can credit myself $1.50
Setting a challenge $1.00 (I set a challenge every week for S2S, and I also set a challenge once a month for a photo challenge)
I also credit myself for exercise.........$1.00 for walking 30 minutes, and $0.03 for each minute over 30. I also credit $2.00 for a one hour session at Curves.
Some people credit themselves for housework, and other jobs that they have trouble motivating themselves for, but I don't. A lot of people also credit themselves for uploading a card photo (one per day only) but I don't.
We are just giving you these guidelines, but it's up to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #95  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I just read the whole thread! Wow, a lot of new ones. This is so exciting to have all of you to chat with and exchange ideas, and encouragement!
I am going to try not to let all those Michael, HL, and Joann's coupons entice me out to spend except for what I absolutely need, like adhesives, etc. Certainly don't need anymore stamps or paper, or ink pads. Most of December I didn't spend anything and not at all in January. But...... SU! Celebration is coming up. I will spend then. Why? I don't need any of it. Maybe I should steer clear of that too... If I could just make myself only do that, this year.
Welcome everyone new! Glad you joined us. Ina, I am working on a card for your challenge.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

thank you so much for all your suggestions! I am making my guidelines now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #97  
Forum Fanatic

Sharon, I really wasn't impressed with the last couple of Salebrations. However, I had a quick peak at the one coming up, and I'm thinking there may one or two things I might "just have to have". So far this year I haven't purchased anything new. I know it's only the 4th, but I lasted longer than I did last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #98  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

okay so cards are kinda flat rate? no matter how lumpy or how long just the same amount? so same for tags and etc pretty much right?

so... I have today made another card and 5 more tags. ( they are on the blog. )
the fs ones are in the gallery.
I'm thinking the only way I can keep track of this is to pay me as I upload things.

I'm going to be posting some stuff to the blog that I made in December ( that won't count) but, never got around to posting... (some of this is in the gallery here already)

ETA so... I need a list:
Im thinking

1.00 a card. and .50 cents a tag. ( so far ) I hardly ever alter anything and I am not into fancy folds... so, I think one thing I want to do is actually remember to link projects that were challenges to their right threads. so I may do .25cents for the ones I forget ( like the occasions ) and if I do a challenge that is something I do not enjoy doing but, did it anyways that's worth a quarter also. ( like an 3d thing)

ETA#2 I sell cards (and tags) pretty much at booths but, a local shop buys some on main street and I have a few at work also. so, anything sold will show up as money in the green part too.

My Blog

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 01-04-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #99  
Glitter Guru

Hello ladies! I have missed you all so much! I tried not to spend a lot of time on the computer last year because it just sucked me in lack a vacuum. LOL! I am going to try and check in a couple times a week though and participate in challenges this year. I'll have to figure out how to account for supplies though being a SU demonstrator. Any suggestions? I have a breakdown for the consumables so can track the cost of what I use but need to decide about the stamp sets, ink, tools, etc since I use them in workshops. I am scrapping again too so that will help. I got a ScrapRack for christmas so once it is organized, I hope to actually USE what I have. I am actually at a scrapbook weekend right now and have got four pages done. I need to find my spreadsheet and start tracking.

Update on us: Emily got accepted to Shenandoah in VA. She was only accepted as a B.A. and she wants a B.F.A. I think they said at an information meeting that students could request to transfer to the BFA after their first year. She is going to call and find out. Still waiting on two more colleges so no decisions yet. Lots of dance competitions coming up and we surprised the girls with a trip to Disney World in March. So, of course 2013 is going to busy, busy, busy!

I better get back to scrapping so I can start the year off in the black. Have a great weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #100  
Forum Fanatic

Welcome back, Michele. I know what you mean about the computer sucking you in. I know I spend way too much time here. I try to remember to set my timer so I don't spend hours here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #101  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammatrollView Post
Welcome back, Michele. I know what you mean about the computer sucking you in. I know I spend way too much time here. I try to remember to set my timer so I don't spend hours here.
me too! Like right now, catching up on all the threads instead of scrapping and making cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #102  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Red face Ack!

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntangieView Post
I have to go to Hobby Lobby or Archiever's this weekend to buy magnets. I am demoing a mini album at card club next week and told everyone I would provide the pair of magnets for them so everyone wouldn't have to buy a package for one pair and the brass stencil I ordered a month ago from the scrapbook store in Des Moines is fianlly in. Too bad it couldn't have gotten here last week. NOT how I wanted to start out the year.
Whatever you do, don't go this weekend to Archivers ... they're having a 40% off all DSP single sheets! It's hard to resist.

I decided that I would get some paper for some scrap pages I had in mind however, I left all of the paper in the ARchivers Bag next to my desk. I circled on my calendar and made a note in my Blackberry Tasks List for 20 days from now. Whatever is still in the bag at that time is going back to the store. That way, if I use it , yay! Pages/Cards done and I saved $$ but if I don't use it then it won't go into my stash and that's good too! There will always be more sales on cute papers.... :rolleyes:

Now, off to get busy and add my total expenses ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lela, can you actually do that? Take back papers you haven't used? Or are you an employee, and that way get special perks?
I agree with all you gals above....I also spend way too much time on SCS, and not enough time crafting.
Michele, so glad to see you back. It's good to hear how you are doing and also about the girls. BTW, being Canadian, I don't know what a B.F.A. is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #104  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46View Post
Lela, can you actually do that? Take back papers you haven't used? Or are you an employee, and that way get special perks?
I agree with all you gals above....I also spend way too much time on SCS, and not enough time crafting.
Michele, so glad to see you back. It's good to hear how you are doing and also about the girls. BTW, being Canadian, I don't know what a B.F.A. is.
BFA is Bachelor of Fine Arts and BA is Bachelor of Arts. Her major is dance performance and the BFA means more dance classes than the BA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #105  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking well...

Quote:

yes, they take returns up to 30 days from purchase as long as it's in good order. Since I'm leaving it in the same bag I brought it home in, if I haven't used it, it will be good.

Now... truthfully... your question probably is can I really take back the paper I don't use. I really hope so. I cleaned out alot to start the year but I just don't want to add "cute paper" to my stash to have it sit. So far, the "bag" idea is working. I scrapped and made cards from several sheets already so ... maybe I won't have to take it back because I'll use it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've spent up and enjoyed myself so mich choosing what to buy with my birthday and Christmas money, I just hope everything arrives before we leave, only two weeks left, can't believe how fast the time is going.
I should keep in credit for a while as I have so many new die cuts, inks, and stamps etc they should keep me from buying anything new for a few months, I hope!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #107  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Jan, are you in Spain now or headed back to Spain?
( is it really hard for you to get mail there?)
I used to sell cards on etsy... and the last time someone in Spain bought 3 Christmas cards from me on Halloween ( I kid you not ) she did not get them until the next Easter... she said mail delivery there is horrid. but, she finally did get them...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi stacy, we are in San Francisco for another two weeks before heading home.
Our mail is pretty good mostly, usually about a week from Spain to here but parcels take longer, mind you I did have a craft parcel take three months from England!!
We now have a mail box which makes life easier as the postie knows us so if anyone uses our old address he puts it in our box, that's the only positive thing I can say about him as we say in Spain don't try to do the post office and bank on the same day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default S2S13B Challenge Faux cloisonne

It's Monday....time for another challenge. I had this month's challenges on a sheet of paper. ( I researched them when was on holiday and didn't get them transposed yet) Of course, the sheet of paper has gone missing in my frantic clean up on Saturday, prior to visitors. So I got an idea yesterday that the second Monday of each month should be a technique challenge. This week we are going to revisit a very old technique, but one that I like a lot. Faux cloisonn�. You can find the tutorial here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a question. Last year we had monthly prizes for someone who was chosen from a list of people who did one of the challenges for that month. (one chance for each challenge done). Do you want to continue this? The challenge for me is that I live in Canada, so the prize would be small.....maybe some stamped images and/or other flat items that wouldn't take too much to mail. I would be very happy to send a flat package/envelope, as I have lots of cool stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #111  
Forum Fanatic

Ina, I was just thinking about this technique the other day. I've been keeping old calendars to use for this.

Although I love surprises, that's not the reason I do the challenges. I'm not much help am I?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #112  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

Quote:

If your studio looked anything like my room did, I understand completely. I was chastising myself the whole time I was cleaning. How could I let everything get out of control? I would love to add another 10 feet or so to my room.
Oh, mine is bad. still haven't taken a picture. That's on my list for today. I just take stuff downstairs and put it on the table... because at that moment I don't have time to put it away.. then I don't get down there to put it away until I NEED to work. So yeah, that's the point I'm at now.

The dream of a studio has been put on hold. We got the estimates back. With the way the economy is, and the lower Mississippi river trying to dry up on us, we can't put ourselves in a financial bind right now because I want a play room. For now, I'll make this one work. It did before and it will again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravengirlView Post
I just figured out my totals from last year and am setting up this year's spreadsheet. I am so proud of myself. I spent less than $15.00 a month last year, on average.
Go you!
I hope to have mine figured out by the end of the week. I have my monthly club order to do for VikkiJo but it's right at $30 and it's the new fabric. I've collected every one SU has released so far to do an SU studio quilt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
Okay, I had the nerve to add up everything for 2012. DH thinks I need to do better on the spending. But, says as long as I am enjoying it! He is sweet!

So, I will have to do better on spending although I came out ahead.
I spent $998.55. I credited myself 1344.55 and came out $346.00 ahead.
I did 97 scrap pages. I did 44 Christmas Cards (at least). I did 18 sets of calendars (12 pages each). I did 61 all occasion cards. I did 70 teapot favors and 125 bookmarks. I am sure I am leaving something out. DH only looks at what I spent. So, I hope to do better in the spending category in 2013.

Sharon
That's AWESOME, Sharon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Sharon, I really wasn't impressed with the last couple of Salebrations. However, I had a quick peak at the one coming up, and I'm thinking there may one or two things I might "just have to have". So far this year I haven't purchased anything new. I know it's only the 4th, but I lasted longer than I did last year.
I didn't see a thing in SAB that I liked... let alone wanted. Is that sad, or what?

Now the Spring min... that's a different story. OMG the DP!!! Yum! However, I've narrowed it down to only 3 groups LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmtinsleyView Post
Hello ladies! I have missed you all so much! I tried not to spend a lot of time on the computer last year because it just sucked me in lack a vacuum. LOL! I am going to try and check in a couple times a week though and participate in challenges this year. I'll have to figure out how to account for supplies though being a SU demonstrator. Any suggestions? I have a breakdown for the consumables so can track the cost of what I use but need to decide about the stamp sets, ink, tools, etc since I use them in workshops. I am scrapping again too so that will help. I got a ScrapRack for christmas so once it is organized, I hope to actually USE what I have. I am actually at a scrapbook weekend right now and have got four pages done. I need to find my spreadsheet and start tracking.

Update on us: Emily got accepted to Shenandoah in VA. She was only accepted as a B.A. and she wants a B.F.A. I think they said at an information meeting that students could request to transfer to the BFA after their first year. She is going to call and find out. Still waiting on two more colleges so no decisions yet. Lots of dance competitions coming up and we surprised the girls with a trip to Disney World in March. So, of course 2013 is going to busy, busy, busy!

I better get back to scrapping so I can start the year off in the black. Have a great weekend.
Good to see you, Michelle. That is great news about Emily. I know she'll make the right choice when the time comes.

As to your SU orders and crediting. If it's stuff you have to order for a class or whatever, that's business. IF it's something you would order for yourself if you were NOT a rep, that's personal. Also, if you order CS/ DP/ Ribbon, etc for your PERSONAL projects.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It's Monday....time for another challenge. I had this month's challenges on a sheet of paper. ( I researched them when was on holiday and didn't get them transposed yet) Of course, the sheet of paper has gone missing in my frantic clean up on Saturday, prior to visitors. So I got an idea yesterday that the second Monday of each month should be a technique challenge. This week we are going to revisit a very old technique, but one that I like a lot. Faux cloisonn�. You can find the tutorial here.
Great choice for a first tutorial! Now if I could only find my work table LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #118  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinCEOView Post
Oh, mine is bad. still haven't taken a picture. That's on my list for today. I just take stuff downstairs and put it on the table... because at that moment I don't have time to put it away.. then I don't get down there to put it away until I NEED to work. So yeah, that's the point I'm at now.

The dream of a studio has been put on hold. We got the estimates back. With the way the economy is, and the lower Mississippi river trying to dry up on us, we can't put ourselves in a financial bind right now because I want a play room. For now, I'll make this one work. It did before and it will again.
what you do not see in the photos I posted is all the stuff on the floor under the shelves in the closet... I spent 2+ hours sunday evening ( I kid you not) going through baskets of "stuff" that had been given to me for my last birthday, Christmas or exchange gifts of stuff new in the package that I had put into baskets to be put away "someday" I don't save packaging so I emptied two baskets sunday and got those things "put away"
its going to be a process.

you can make this work. ( no matter what you have ) and when things get better you may not even want the things you dream about now so you will be even more sure when the time is right.

have you joined pinterest to start a dream studio board?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #119  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Ina, I am not in this for a prize... and I appreciate the thought of it, but seriously I don't want to be entered for one. its just I am overwhelmed with "stuff" ( even images)

I spent some time today coloring images for more Christmas / Winter cards this afternoon and it felt good to use some. ( and it didn't even make a small scratch in my stash )

PS I sent all my magazines to the barn to be burned in the wood stove... I'm debating if I can go rescue one for this challenge lol...

would junk mail catalogs have the same kind of paper?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #120  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

oh I have one more thought... what if we have things we get that we do not pay for? like gifts they do not count right? as shopping I mean.

I am tempted to shop but, have been systematically deleting all the sale ad's that land in my in box... I want to see the have made stuff number look larger... :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes