Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Following on from what Sue said, it's funny because I had this conversation with somebody sitting beside me on the bus the other day. I've knitted all my life, and one of my best friends knits a lot too. Any time any of her kids wanted something, they didn't find a pattern, they just described what they wanted. Anyway, her second son was always very arty and has for some years been a professional cartoonist and illustrator. One day my friend recounted how she'd had a phone call from him a few days previously, and he'd wanted to apologise for something. She couldn't think what - it turned out he'd always taking knitting for granted as just a "mum" thing, and something had opened his eyes to how it really was an art form.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, Rachelrose....what a great and profound post! I agree with you and have loved reading all of the comments in the this thread as well. I am not a great artisit but I love stamping and nothing can compare with the feeling of how excited I get when I make a card with which I am really pleased! I have some friends and relatives who tell me that they save every card I send them because they love them and that absolutely touches my heart and makes me tear up! Others roll their eyes in the "get a life!" expression and I figure those people just don't get it but I'm not going to let it bother me!

In past years I have done other crafting mediums (crocheting, tole painting, etc) which have fallen by the wayside but stamping just touched me heart and I love it! My youngest will graduate from a 5 year college program this spring and I started stamping the year he started 2nd grade so this one has lasted a while! lol!

As for those who look down their nose and hand crafted art and say, "oh, it's homemade" I always smile and tell them, "homemade is for chocolate chip cookies, this is a hand crafted art work!" I used to volunteer at an assisted living center helping the residents make greeting cards....one day one of the first time stampers finished a birthday card and said, "there! That will save me $1 at WalMart!" and I told her, "honey, that's a one of a kind piece of art! They couldn't buy it at any price at WalMart!" and she walked back to her room with her card saying, "yea, a one of a kind piece of art, how about that?" Oh how I love it when a new stamper "gets her wings"! I find that teaching others to get fired up about creating handmade cards (not "homemade"!) is just as inspiring to me as when I come up with a good idea and make a card that I love!

Thank you for your eloquently put reminder that our stamping IS an expression of art!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

I loved your story thank you so much for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts. You're words are very inspiring.

I have a frame on my workspace that says "I just want to make beautiful things even if nobody cares."
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for your kind words, Fran. I took a peek at your blog, and your things are indeed very beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow what a lovely conversation! Thank you for taking the time to put how we all feel into words... your initial post gave me goose bumps.

I so love your explanation of art -- I would add that not only are we compelled to create our works of art but sometimes the works compel others as well -- art can inspire us to create a masterpiece, make a simple handmade project, or just to appreciate beauty when it touches us!

My motto (which stamping has helped me figure out) is take the joy where you find it. Stamping makes me happy, and that is a fine thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, I have holes in my underwear, holes in my socks and the underwire in my bras are broken, but I just have to make sure I have enough Pool Party and Lucky Limeade before it retires! Oh yeah, and when it rains, my feet get wet cause I have holes in my shoes. But when my husband's retired fire chief raves and rants about the cards I have sent him and when he stops by to drop off a rose plant (my father in law died 3 weeks ago) and I pull him into my stamp room and he continues to praise my card I sent him at Thanksgiving and says it is still sitting where he put it at the house, it makes the money I spend worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

i love the way you defined homemade vs. handmade or handcrafted, its not just semantics but it really makes a difference in how and what we create
"I just want to make beautiful things even if nobody cares." Hmm, how about "I just want to make beautiful things and i hope one day they'll care" or something like that
i've noticed that every time i pretend to have a few dollars, i manage to find some craft supplies i really need & are really worth buying now! im trying to stretch those imaginary dollars to other necesseties, like clothes and shoes, but it's def not as exciting or compelling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #49  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about "I just want to make beautiful things. Because I care."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for your beautiful words of encouragement. I have been re-inspired. What a great way to start a new year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
How about "I just want to make beautiful things. Because I care."
WHAT an awesome thread! You've brought tears to the old lady's eyes. Thank you. (I've been compelled since childhood)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Thanks Rachelrose...as you can see above, your post resonated with a lot of us!! I am a demo, and I question myself constantly...all the $$ I sink into it, and how much time I actually spend at it.
Your post put a lot of things into perspective for me, and I appreciate that immensely!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a quote from a graphic designer's post:
But I design because I love it. I design because when I don�t, odd things happen inside me and the world takes on a certain pallor.
What it means to me to be a designer | Charfish Design
This conversation and his writings got me thinking about what is art and who can be considered an artist. What I've come up with is art is the ability to see something differently and create something concrete with that vision. In a way, I think every person can be an artist at whatever they do- graphic designer, stamper, dancer, tailor, doctor. I remember once I picked up a pair of shoes from the shoe repair and the quality of the work done awed me because in a sense it was beautiful, perhaps even artistic. If you've been blessed with a vision and you've been blessed with the ability to share it with the world, please do so and make the world a better, more beautiful place!
Reply With Quote Likes