Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreywolfView Post
Oh Lydia! That meatloaf sounds delicious! I have never had a lot of success making meatloaf but I like it a lot. I'll definitely try your recipe - I'm hungry already. (Oh, maybe that's because I haven't had breakfast yet.)
The punkin bread recipe sounds divine also! I'm dying of hunger here! Guess it's time to stop and find something for breakfast.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #42  
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies! I read on a thread (can't find which one now) that a spreadsheet is up to keep track of our cards. Where is it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd check in here.

Lydia, I am sorry, but because mushrooms and I do NOT get along I don't think I'll be trying your meatloaf recipe.

The sweet potato casserole recipe sounds a lot like what my sister makes. It is fantastic!

I don't do a whole lot of baking from scratch. Sadly, my kids prefer Poppin' Fresh's cookies to homemade. I do make snickerdoodles every December to have for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #44  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
Good morning ladies! I read on a thread (can't find which one now) that a spreadsheet is up to keep track of our cards. Where is it?
It's stickied - it's called the Hope you can cling to master challenge tracker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, I love this thread! I am really hoping to be able to do all the challenges and these recipes are added incentive to check in! They all sound delicious...I'll have to look through mine to see what to share...maybe something chocolate??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfinlayView Post
Lee, your recipe looks amazing, feel like I can smell those spices baking all the way across the Atlantic!! Can't find canned pumpkin here in the stores though, they aren't into pumpkin pie - I can get fresh pumpkins, wonder if I cooked some, if it'd work???
Tell me about it.
It's funny, though - you used to be able to, I think. At least, I remember having pumpkin pie quite often growing up, and I doubt my great-aunts used to send cans over. All those exotic things we CAN get now, and that's not one of them. Or Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate, sigh...or corn syrup.
If we're sharing recipes, here's what we're having tonight: it's the end result of experimenting with traditional red cabbage recipes using apple, and a modern one using dried cranberries.

Red Cabbage with Cranberries:
For half a red cabbageI used one red onion (because I had it, although I am sure an ordinary onion would be pretty much the same), a little oil, 2 tblsp each brown sugar and wine vinegar, a pinch of allspice and about two ounces / 50 g dried cranberries.

Heat the oil, fry the sliced onion gently for a few minutes. Add the finely sliced cabbage and fry gently for another few minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar, spice and cranberries plus a little water - enough just to keep it moist. Cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes, stirring a couple of times.

This would probably give about six servings as a side dish. We're going to have it with sausages and the last of the lovely redskin potatoes I brought back from France. And something green because it won't look balanced without .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #47  
Glitter Queen

Mind if I join in?

This will be my first time doing challenges and I'm super excited. See, today is my birthday and it's a very special birthday. Last October I was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer. Life was a whirlwind for many months following, my doctors didn't waste any time thank goodness. Today I am celebrating an NED (no evidence of disease) birthday! Yay! I plan on many more to come.

So...my house is a mess, laundry needs folded, floors need cleaned, bathrooms scrubbed, blah, blah, blah. I am not doing ANY of that today! LOL I am going to spend the day making cards for the challenge and preparing for the event I have planned on the 15th. I'm teaming up with Friends of the Bald Woman and inviting everyone to come make cards, mini-clipboards, and bookmarks that will go in chemo care packages. I can't wait!! Pretty sure this is the start of a new birthday tradition.

Hello everyone and thanks so much for participating. You are touching lives.

Lora

PS - Almost forgot my recipe for the day. lol I've recently discovered the goodness of Quinoa. Chop up some onion and garlic, sautee in olive oil (or canola). Add 1 cup quinoa and brown for about 3 min. Add 2 cups chicken or veggie broth, basil, black pepper, cumin, & oregano and simmer for 15-20 min until the quinoa is "clear". Serve over baby spinach. My kids love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #48  
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Tell me about it.
It's funny, though - you used to be able to, I think. At least, I remember having pumpkin pie quite often growing up, and I doubt my great-aunts used to send cans over. All those exotic things we CAN get now, and that's not one of them. Or Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate, sigh...or corn syrup.
If we're sharing recipes, here's what we're having tonight: it's the end result of experimenting with traditional red cabbage recipes using apple, and a modern one using dried cranberries.

For half a red cabbageI used one red onion (because I had it, although I am sure an ordinary onion would be pretty much the same), a little oil, 2 tblsp each brown sugar and wine vinegar, a pinch of allspice and about two ounces / 50 g dried cranberries.

Heat the oil, fry the sliced onion gently for a few minutes. Add the finely sliced cabbage and fry gently for another few minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar, spice and cranberries plus a little water - enough just to keep it moist. Cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes, stirring a couple of times.

This would probably give about six servings as a side dish. We're going to have it with sausages and the last of the lovely redskin potatoes I brought back from France. And something green because it won't look balanced without .
mouth watering... going to try this. DH and I go to a German restaurant here that has THE best red cabbage and I have been trying and trying to duplicate. Gonna definitely give this a shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #49  
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampHappyScrapperView Post
Mind if I join in?

This will be my first time doing challenges and I'm super excited. See, today is my birthday and it's a very special birthday. Last October I was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer. Life was a whirlwind for many months following, my doctors didn't waste any time thank goodness. Today I am celebrating an NED (no evidence of disease) birthday! Yay! I plan on many more to come.

So...my house is a mess, laundry needs folded, floors need cleaned, bathrooms scrubbed, blah, blah, blah. I am not doing ANY of that today! LOL I am going to spend the day making cards for the challenge and preparing for the event I have planned on the 15th. I'm teaming up with Friends of the Bald Woman and inviting everyone to come make cards, mini-clipboards, and bookmarks that will go in chemo care packages. I can't wait!! Pretty sure this is the start of a new birthday tradition.

Lora

PS - Almost forgot my recipe for the day. lol I've recently discovered the goodness of Quinoa. Chop up some onion and garlic, sautee in olive oil (or canola). Add 1 cup quinoa and brown for about 3 min. Add 2 cups chicken or veggie broth, basil, black pepper, cumin, & oregano and simmer for 15-20 min until the quinoa is "clear". Serve over baby spinach. My kids love it!
and a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!! :-) :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #50  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, Lora!! And what a wonderful birthday tradition, I love it! Enjoy every minute!

Quote:

Mind if I join in?

Lora

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #51  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well Happy Birthday!! and hugs and prayers to you and your friends! What a wonderful tradition to start!

I LOVE Quinoa! My son introduced it to me a few months ago - we just cook it up, add veggies and have it as a salad - add some olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper maybe a bit of sugar to taste - Delicious!

It is also known as "the perfect protein" if that helps anyone make a decision about it. It is actually a seed but is prepared like a whole grain and they say it is protein.....can't get much more confusing than that! LOL

Quote:

Mind if I join in?

Lora

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Proud DT Member for CAS-ual Fridays Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #52  
VSN Coordinator
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

LORA!!!! How awesome!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #53  
VSN Coordinator

Oh you know you all done GOOD with the "punkin"! ;)

And finding it canned is difficult here too. Apparently we've had such difficult drought years that it's hard to find. Although that does NOT make sense to me when the store employees say that. The CANNED stuff does not come from local farmers!!! Sheesh!! And we always have plenty of actual punkins being sold in stores! But a lot of our stores will only put out the canned stuff in the Fall. My friend Misti, who lives in OK, sent me several cans last year! What a friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #54  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Tell me about it.

Ohhh Sabrina this looks SO good!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #55  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvLeeView Post
Oh you know you all done GOOD with the "punkin"! ;)

And finding it canned is difficult here too. Apparently we've had such difficult drought years that it's hard to find. Although that does NOT make sense to me when the store employees say that. The CANNED stuff does not come from local farmers!!! Sheesh!! And we always have plenty of actual punkins being sold in stores! But a lot of our stores will only put out the canned stuff in the Fall. My friend Misti, who lives in OK, sent me several cans last year! What a friend!
EEEEP that reminds me of the canned pumpkin shortage last year!! It was like the APOCALYPSE!! Must. Hoard. Pumpkin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #56  
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
EEEEP that reminds me of the canned pumpkin shortage last year!! It was like the APOCALYPSE!! Must. Hoard. Pumpkin.
I did that last year. The only way I could find pumpkin was in the boxes for Pumpkin bread.. I bought like 10 of those boxes just for the canned pumpkin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #57  
VSN Coordinator

I know!!! What was up with that??? Seriously without Misti I would have DIED!!!!!!

We're buying some anytime we see it now!!! But I'm baking punkin bread every weekend....we need more! And I AM going to attempt to make some fresh mashed punkin and can it!! I'll put it on my to-list when I make jelly and just have a messy kitchen for a bit longer!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #58  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
It's stickied - it's called the Hope you can cling to master challenge tracker.
And where is it "stickied"????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #59  

Sorry - in the main challenge forum one level up from here. Here is the link right to that post. Hope You Can Cling To Master Tracking Sheet by UnderstandBlue at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Here's a great "fix it in the morning and let it cook" recipe for fall:

Cranberry Pork Roast
3-4 lbs pork roast...I like pork loin
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup finely chopped cranberries
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper and place in crockpot.
Combine remaining ingredients and pour over roast.
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

YUMMY! But don't put more cranberries than what the recipe calls for. Ask me how I know... ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi everyone! I still have a recipe someone posted in last year's thread that I'm itching to try. It's for pumpkin apple muffins. I always get the baking/cooking itch when fall arrives and we're expecting our first storm of the season this week so I am eager to make some good comfort foods. My new favorite place to find recipes is pinterest. I found a couple on there that have been just delicious.

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #62  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post

Cranberry Pork Roast
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

YUMMY! But don't put more cranberries than what the recipe calls for. Ask me how I know... ;)
That really makes me want a crock pot, sounds heavenly; there were some scrummy crock-pot recipes shared last year too.
DH teases me because I always have about half a dozen packs of cranberries in the freezer .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #63  
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:

Cranberry Pork Roast
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

yummy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #64  

Holy cow that sounds good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Cranberry Pork Roast
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Delicious, Dianne! I wish I'd had this recipe this morning...roast pork is in the oven as we speak...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Lora --
Happy Happy Birthday -- and many more! Congratulations! In your honor, I am going to do my first-ever challenge. Tonight. If I can stay awake. But really, I promise to do a challenge - and you are the one inspiring me!

Vicki

PS -- My sister-in-law is a breast cancer survivor - 23 years cancer free. I wish the same and more for you.

PPS -- Hello to all - hope I get the chance to "know" you all better through this month.

Quote:

Mind if I join in?

Lora

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #67  

Hi, Vicki! What great news about your sister-in-law! You'll have fun doing a challenge - watch out, they're addicting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post
Lora --
Happy Happy Birthday -- and many more! Congratulations! In your honor, I am going to do my first-ever challenge. Tonight. If I can stay awake. But really, I promise to do a challenge - and you are the one inspiring me!

Vicki

PS -- My sister-in-law is a breast cancer survivor - 23 years cancer free. I wish the same and more for you.

PPS -- Hello to all - hope I get the chance to "know" you all better through this month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Lee's Punkin Bread

3 cups sugar
1 cup softened butter
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 (16 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice

In a large bowl, combine sugar and butter and cream then and eggs one at a time while mixing. Add pumpkin and mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add to pumpkin mixture. Pour into two greased 8x8 square pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.

And yes....you HAVE to spell it that way! After all....it's MY recipe!!!!!!!!
Lee, I ws copying down your recipe but I have a question. It says combine butter, sugar and cream but I don't see cream in the list of ingredients. Can you help me??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #69  

Received 372 Likes on 206 Posts

Lora, Celebrate this your special day!!!! Happy , Happy, Happy Birthday. Hugs, Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #70  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollerinastampsView Post
Lee, I ws copying down your recipe but I have a question. It says combine butter, sugar and cream but I don't see cream in the list of ingredients. Can you help me??
Maybe it should say "cream butter and sugar"? I'm thinking "cream" is a verb there.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfinlayView Post
Hi, Vicki! What great news about your sister-in-law! You'll have fun doing a challenge - watch out, they're addicting!
Thanks for the warm welcome, Bridget --- that's my daughter's name also :-)

And Muzbysmom -- I have two Westies - love your profile pic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Here are my favorite cookies -- the combination of orange and white chocolate is fabulous!

Frost Bites

3/4 cup raisins
3 tbl. orange flavored liqueur like Grand Marnier or orange juice but I use liqueur
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teas. grated orange peel
1 cup flour
1 teas. baking soda
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
8 oz. white chocolate chips or wafers
1 teas. vegetable oil or shortening

Day before baking – in a small bowl, combine orange liqueur and raisins, let stand overnight.

In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and orange peel. Add flour, baking soda, and oats. Stir in raisins and any soaking liquid. Mix well. Drop dough by teaspoons on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350� for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden. Cool on rack. Melt white chocolate and oil over low heat. Dip one side of cookie in white chocolate.
Set on waxed paper until firm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #73  
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Maybe it should say "cream butter and sugar"? I'm thinking "cream" is a verb there.
YEP! I did kinda write that funny, didn't I??!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

YEP! I did kinda write that funny, didn't I??!!!! :lol:
Ohh!! Thanks for clearing that up! I really wanted to try this but was lamenting the fact I had no cream.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #75  

Aaaannnnd we have TEQUILA!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #76  
VSN Coordinator

I'm now singing "Tequila makes her clothes fall off"!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #77  

hahahah - this is what I'm singing.

Click Play

<object height="40" width="250">

<embed src="http://grooveshark.com/songWidget.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="hostname=cowbell.grooveshark.com&songIDs=24765855&style=metal&p=0" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="window" height="40" width="250"></object>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #78  
VSN Coordinator

Oooo another good one!!!

How about this.....we used to skate to it when I was a kid!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I love the Eagles... *sigh*... I keep getting "You're the Inspiration" in my head because of Lee's challenge...
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #80  
VSN Coordinator

Oh I've had this one in my head since my challenge.....

Chicago - You're The Inspiration (Live Video) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes