Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to put in an Advent Calendar Box

Hi guys, I'm Tee. I have a quick question. I'm into pen paling and for Christmas I wanted to reward two of my pen pals with really nice Advent Calendar Boxes like the ones I see in the gallery. The only problem is what would be good things to put in the boxes other than candy? These girls are 19 and 20 and I want really nice affordable things that would fit in the box.

Thanks so much for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I found this:

How to Buy Gifts for an Advent Calendar | eHow.com

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Thanks so much Anne! The article was really helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

i love & use Ehow often. great website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

For anyone else who was wondering, I came up with some ideas last night. I could put nail polish and maybe a lipgloss or lipstick in the boxes, as well as some rings or earrings from forever21.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I decorated a Karen Foster Advent Calendar (I did not realize how small it was) So I wrote little treasure hunt notes inside if the gift was too big for the box. My daughter would open the drawer after school (so she would have time to treasure hunt). I would buy items at the local dollar store/or school supplies.

The next Christmas she missed her Playmobil Calendar, so I put the box away. I think I will bring it out again. She is more teen than tween this year (forever 21 idea sounds great) I enjoyed decorating that Calendar it was so much fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

We used to use things associated with the dates. For example, Germany has a holiday on the 6th, my dad's birthday was the 12th and the first day of winter is usually the 21st. You could probably find some kind of holiday for each day (gotta love Google!) or make up some like Dec. 15 -- Official First Day of Wrapping; Dec. 2 -- National Put up the Tree Day.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Could you make some personalised stuff? I'm thinking things like key fobs with their initials that they could attatch to a backpack if they don't want to use them on keys - grungeboard or grungepaper would be good surfaces or you could use shrink plastic or polymer clay.

Do they have hobbies or interests you could tie in with? Crafty friends are great for this kind of thing as you can put little baggies of things like brads, eyelets or gems, lengths of ribbon etc but maybe your pen pals have other interests they've talked about that you could get inspiration from?

Good luck - I'm sure they'll love them, whatever is inside the boxes!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

These are all very great ideas!! My pen pals are crafty and I never even thought to put brads in the boxes or maybe even little ink pads or $1 stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by liptonteeView Post
My pen pals are crafty and I never even thought to put brads in the boxes or maybe even little ink pads or $1 stamps!
I've done crafty advent swaps with friends on a UK forum - they're great fun! We have an agreement that there's no great expectation on financial value of the gift each day, it's just fun to have something to open! It's great because you can use existing stash items rather than buying something new for every gift - you just use a selection from packs of brads, gems, pearls, paper flowers etc.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Yess!! I've finally figured out all that I can put in the boxes. Thanks so much guys
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by liptonteeView Post
Hi guys, I'm Tee. I have a quick question. I'm into pen paling and for Christmas I wanted to reward two of my pen pals with really nice Advent Calendar Boxes like the ones I see in the gallery. The only problem is what would be good things to put in the boxes other than candy? These girls are 19 and 20 and I want really nice affordable things that would fit in the box.

Thanks so much for your help.
Hi Tee,
I recently made one similar to the one in SU Mini catalog and since they weren't boxes, just peek-a-boo die cuts, I filled it with dimes, quarters and nickels and donated it to a fundraiser at my granddaughter's school. HTH Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I did the Karen Foster one for my granddaughter. Bought her a small Christmas tree (about 10-12 n tall) and put the mini ornaments in each box, so decorated 'her' tree all month. She loves it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

@Patti - that's a good idea, I think I actually might make one (or a couple) to give to charity. I think that would be nice for a few kids Christmas.

@scrampinggram - that's a nice idea as well! Children tend to love when they can "decorate" something themselves lol. My little sister would probably love this idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I made an Advent calendar years ago that was a wooden plaque with felt in the shape of a Christmas tree and the ornaments were small jar lids with eye hooks attached, painted and decorated on the back side with the date on top and attached to tiny cup hook-like hooks on the tree. When each was turned over, on the inside of the lid there was a picture I had cut off an old Christmas card inserted--this was way before I discovered stamping as now I would stamp an image. No treat (couldn't afford even cheap things), but the fun was getting to turn it over every day and see what was there. My kids were easily amused!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirlView Post
I decorated a Karen Foster Advent Calendar (I did not realize how small it was) So I wrote little treasure hunt notes inside if the gift was too big for the box. My daughter would open the drawer after school (so she would have time to treasure hunt). I would buy items at the local dollar store/or school supplies.

The next Christmas she missed her Playmobil Calendar, so I put the box away. I think I will bring it out again. She is more teen than tween this year (forever 21 idea sounds great) I enjoyed decorating that Calendar it was so much fun.
That is such an awesome idea! I love the treasure hunt idea. The boxes are sometimes too small to put a decent treat inside, especially for two kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

@jeanne3579- I love the jar lid idea. I think I'll make a few of the boxes include those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 04:11 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirlView Post

I am sending my advent calendars to college students so put numbers in a couple of the numbered boxes then taped a couple of coin envelopes (with corresponding numbers) with gift cards inside them to the bottom of the box. I used a Starbucks card (and all you have to do is purchase enough for one drink - anything is usually a treat to a college student!) but a gas card, fast food places, etc. would work too.

Other items I used were lip balm, inexpensive earrings, pins and pendants (often holiday things I made).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dare I say this? When I was a child, Advent calendars did not come with the expectation of a daily gift. They had a picture and a scripture verse for each day. The point of Advent is to reflect on the coming of the Savior.

Of course, that being said, my 8 yr old is really hoping for the Lego Star Wars Advent calendar this year. I know. Nothing says "The Birth of Savior!" like Yoda and Chewbacca. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrampingramView Post
I did the Karen Foster one for my granddaughter. Bought her a small Christmas tree (about 10-12 n tall) and put the mini ornaments in each box, so decorated 'her' tree all month. She loves it.
Love that idea - wanted to do one for my granddaughter - but wasn't sure what to put in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

@margotgn - that's a good idea as well. As a college student myself I agree that a little money means a lot. I loved getting gift cards from my relatives for Christmas.

@maryrose - lol Yes Chewbacca just screams "The Birth of Savior"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, it depends what the dimensions of the boxes are. Maybe you could share that? We used to do "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (up to ephiphany, which is January 6th), and have a little gift each day. Things like a novelty eraser or pencils might work. How about the tiny size of Post-it notes? Find out their favorite colors, and put anything small and random in that color. I was sort of thrilled to get a box of push-pins, paper clips, etc. in bright colors, and if they were all your FAVORITE color it would really be fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I've always wondered what to put in those small spaces! These are some great ideas. I have one that I haven't used because I have had NO idea what to put on it! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

@whitebat- I wanted to make 3 different versions. Two of them use small matchboxes
Article Info - Default title
Stempeleinmaleins: Mini Easel Adventskalender

and the other one I'm not sure what size the boxes are. Here is an example of it though - Advent Calendar - Two Peas in a Bucket

@deborahmegan- I'm glad you could get some help from this thread!!

Also do you guys have any idea of when I should start making these so that I can ensure it'll be done before Dec. 1? I'm hoping that I can get all of my supplies by Friday so that I can start working on them over my fall break.
Reply With Quote Likes