Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made purchases , but ones I thought out such as some Copics. I have been good at avoiding impulse purchases.
Today I went to Michael's for a Memeno ink pad. I took a 40% off coupon

I came out of Michael's with " One ink pad of Memento ink " LOL
I didn't look around I just went to the aisle with the ink grabbed my ink and went directly to the check out line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is such a great thread. I have cut way back on my spending this year. I only wish I had tracked it. I plan on keeping track of every single dime I spend on my hobby starting in January. I have had fun using old items from my stash over the year and mixing in some new.

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugghh - boy, did I fall off the wagon, landed hard on my butt, slid down the hill, scraped my knees, banged my head on the stone at the bottom and gave myself a concussion!!!!!

My name is Elizabeth, and I am a weak-willed liar. Well, not really a liar, but not a very realistic person, who keeps fooling herself. There I've admitted it - I hear that is step 1.....

All my great intentions fell by the wayside this summer, as I have recently acquired 7 memory box dies & 3 SU! punches, some patterned paper (because Lord knows, the 500 sheets I currently own is not enough!), 20 American Crafts markers, and some embellishments. And while I could go on and rationalize that I really needed the items, and have specific projects for them, and because I am buying tools (mostly) there will be a long term committment to them, and yada yada yada, the truth of the matter is, I wanted them, plain and simple.

But, that is now a thing of the past - it has to be, because I am out of money. Well, not really, but it just became a whole lot tighter. Step2...

So, in the words of Mick Jagger "I can't always get what I want, but if I try sometimes, I just might find, I get what I need". And since I can't get what want, and I don't need anything (crafting wise) then, I guess I have to put on my big girl pants and not get anything. That's step 4...

The good news out of this? I did manage to do a bunch more cards this summer and fall, and have really made a dent in my paper hoard - err - stash. I did even use up those papers I bought this summer, so I guess that is a bonus right there - isn't it?

I hope everyone has had more success than I did - would love to hear some success stories!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

I am still hanging in there. I have fallen off the wagon here and there but nearly the way I have in the past. I love that I am thinking about every purchase and really deciding instead of just buying things and regetting them later. I am going to try to keep track of my purchases better. I do know that I have spent less than I have in the past. I love the accountability this has given me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Ugghh - boy, did I fall off the wagon, landed hard on my butt, slid down the hill, scraped my knees, banged my head on the stone at the bottom and gave myself a concussion!!!!!

My name is Elizabeth, and I am a weak-willed liar. Well, not really a liar, but not a very realistic person, who keeps fooling herself. There I've admitted it - I hear that is step 1.....

All my great intentions fell by the wayside this summer, as I have recently acquired 7 memory box dies & 3 SU! punches, some patterned paper (because Lord knows, the 500 sheets I currently own is not enough!), 20 American Crafts markers, and some embellishments. And while I could go on and rationalize that I really needed the items, and have specific projects for them, and because I am buying tools (mostly) there will be a long term committment to them, and yada yada yada, the truth of the matter is, I wanted them, plain and simple.

But, that is now a thing of the past - it has to be, because I am out of money. Well, not really, but it just became a whole lot tighter. Step2...

So, in the words of Mick Jagger "I can't always get what I want, but if I try sometimes, I just might find, I get what I need". And since I can't get what want, and I don't need anything (crafting wise) then, I guess I have to put on my big girl pants and not get anything. That's step 4...

The good news out of this? I did manage to do a bunch more cards this summer and fall, and have really made a dent in my paper hoard - err - stash. I did even use up those papers I bought this summer, so I guess that is a bonus right there - isn't it?

I hope everyone has had more success than I did - would love to hear some success stories!
I thought I heard a big THUD while I was in my LSS today, and here I thought it was ME falling off the wagon and spending a three months worth of my kit budget on paper and embellies that I do not need but gee are they ever cute and Christmas is comning along with company and I will take tons of pictures.................
I have been having pangs of guilt ever since as well as now I will have wait on getting that shark I have been wanting to clean the house floors with. May be it is for the best that I spent my money on my crafting hobby as I would probably give my DH a heart attack if he thought I was going to clean!!

To ease my guilt I finished a scrap page today and will get started on a new one and make another Christmas card while I am at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

After a craft crisis last month, I nearly gave it all up completely. But then I decided that I was just bored with my twelve plus years of stamps and supplies, and I really didn't like the cluttery look of all of my cards. So I put a very large portion of my twelve year supply up for sale (check that BST forum!), and I've been using the money from that to buy new supplies. My dh gave me a Big Kick for our anniversary this month. I bought some dies, PTI card stock, and new stamps from PTI and Waltzingmouse Stamps. I think that for a long time, I was just a collector of stamps, but now I really want to use them. So I'm paring down my supplies, going unmounted for the sake of storage, and embracing a simpler style. I'm trying to keep this buy/sell thing in balance so that I can stay even steven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #47  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

As I look back over the months since first connecting with this forum, I can only say Thank You for being there for all of us. No, I don't have a perfect record for going Cold Turkey, however I have gained so much from all of you and am breaking old habits and replacing them with wise thinking patterns and choices. I am learning to apply the brakes, think twice and learn how to say "no" to myself after asking "is this something I really need or just want," before I make any purchases. The coupons for the craft shops are no longer a snare for me after awakening to the fact of how much I spend in order to save on purchases which were never necessary to begin with. Please keep this thread going as I want to do even better in the months to come and you have all been such an encouragement to me. Thanks and everyone hang in there no matter what point you are at right now. Forward we go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Well I am sorry to report I didn't do well :(
I went way over budget in June and July buying Copics before the price increase. My budget never recovered from those months

Then I learned about water-coloring with Distress inks and bought quite a few of those when Joann's online had them on sale.

The Scrap-Mart 40% off sale on Spellbinders in September hooked me :shock:

Plus I found stamps at Whimsey's by Crissy Armstrong that I love so I bought 3 of those.
And I bought a few other things too.

To my credit I did stay out of Michael's and Joanns, and ignored the paper and ribbon sales. However, I went to Hobby Lobby a couple of times.

I think I will forgive myself and start over in January and try to do better next year :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #49  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Barbara, you encourage me just by the fact you aren't going to quit. You have already taken a big step forward by forgiving yourself and determining you want to start again. Way to go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #50  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Can somebody help me? I have seen the letters LSS so many times and am finally getting up the courage to ask what they stand for. Thank for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

LSS is the acronym for Local Scrapbook Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #52  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

That's easy - I should have been able to guess that one. Thanks for your help Barbara.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

I believe Guilty feelings are poison to the mind . They hamper future growth and goals
For any one who curbed some impulsive purchases and bought more wisely this thread has been a success.
For anyone who refused to use a coupon just to use it has achieved a small victory .

Some people truly wanted to stop buying anything, but others just wanted to buy more wisely and stay within their budget. All who tried have had a measure of success.

I hope we start a new thread like this for 2012. It builds awareness of how/where we spend our money
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #54  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Dear Barbara Jay: I agree with you wholeheartedly and thank you for the words of encouragement. I am so grateful for this thread and hope it will continue next year. Awareness of needless spending, and using the products I have already instead of stockpiling new things on top of old, has been a valuable (not just money wise) change for me. I am 67 years old and learning. That's a forward positive action, don't you think. Thanks to each person who has contributed to this thread. God bless you one and all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

CSC I am also still learning every day and I have you beat by a few years LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

This is such an interesting thread. I didn't go cold turkey but tried to limit what I bought this year. Very few stamps, but I did buy embossing folder, Nesties and other thin dies but I had almost none before this year so I didn't feel bad about buying these. And I very carefully think about each item before I buy, making sure I really need or want it. I've never bought new just because it's new or trendy so that helps. And I've used the embossing folders and dies and I'm loving them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Wow...you have all motivated me. I'm going to start today, er...tonight! I love the statement that "just because I have a coupon, doesn't mean I have to use it." Love that, because all this time I thought I DID have to use it. I would tell my husband that "they're practically PAYING ME to come in and pick something out!"

We have a Joann's, Hobby Lobby and a LSS. I DO want to support her, but will do it by taking an occasional card class to learn new techniques. They are usually pretty low cost.

Thanks so much for being a MOTIVATOR!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
After a craft crisis last month, I nearly gave it all up completely. But then I decided that I was just bored with my twelve plus years of stamps and supplies, and I really didn't like the cluttery look of all of my cards. So I put a very large portion of my twelve year supply up for sale (check that BST forum!), and I've been using the money from that to buy new supplies. My dh gave me a Big Kick for our anniversary this month. I bought some dies, PTI card stock, and new stamps from PTI and Waltzingmouse Stamps. I think that for a long time, I was just a collector of stamps, but now I really want to use them. So I'm paring down my supplies, going unmounted for the sake of storage, and embracing a simpler style. I'm trying to keep this buy/sell thing in balance so that I can stay even steven.
OH...MY...STARS, maryrose! You will not believe what I just did. I posted for the first time on this forum promising to do better and then I went immediately to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. I said to myself..."Now who was it that had that stuff for sale?" Then I came back here to look for you because I remembered your neat picture. THEN...I started to laugh out loud...here we are on a "stop spending cold turkey" thread and you are selling your stuff and we are going to look to see what we might have to have. Maybe you had to "be here" to get it, but you made my day.

Thanks so much.

Beverly
RavioliGirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
OH...MY...STARS, maryrose! You will not believe what I just did. I posted for the first time on this forum promising to do better and then I went immediately to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. I said to myself..."Now who was it that had that stuff for sale?" Then I came back here to look for you because I remembered your neat picture. THEN...I started to laugh out loud...here we are on a "stop spending cold turkey" thread and you are selling your stuff and we are going to look to see what we might have to have. Maybe you had to "be here" to get it, but you made my day.

Thanks so much.

Beverly
RavioliGirl
BWA HA HA! That IS funny!

I am really giving away sets for cheap, just because I'm tired of them and want to start fresh. I have no regrets. I feel as if every unused stamp set that I'd been collecting was going to a good home instead. I probably put nearly two hundred stamp sets up for sale. I've purchased a few new and plan on unmounting the stamp sets I plan on keeping. I'd like to keep my collection under control, and thanks to unmounted stamps, I can have 50 DVD cases and it will only take up one small shelf in my studio. Less is more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #60  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

Barbara Jay, I'm grateful for your company in the world of senior citizen stamping. You lead and I will follow and just think of all the things there are ahead of us to learn. Exciting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #61  
Glitter Queen

Well, unfortunately for me, I'm allergic to money, so every dime I make goes for crafts or decor....we need a CA...like AA but without the doughnuts, cuz we all know someone would have to buy sprinkles to make 'em pretty....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #62  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydingbatView Post
Well, unfortunately for me, I'm allergic to money, so every dime I make goes for crafts or decor....we need a CA...like AA but without the doughnuts, cuz we all know someone would have to buy sprinkles to make 'em pretty....

LOL...I started a thread called "Stamper Anonymous" and everyone thought it was a rubber stamp company. I didn't even know they had one by that name. I ran into a former co-worker when I was at Hobby Lobby this summer and she suggested we start one of those "help" groups for all of us who are so desperately addicted to all things paper and rubber and ink and acrylic and...

I kid you not that I can go sit in my "stamp room" and I can calm down just by being around my "stuff." Do you know what I'm talking about? I don't even have to stamp. I can kind of pretend that I'm trying to clean up the mess on my table, but I'm just spending time with my goodies. They make me happy. I need professional help. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Smile

I seem to be "blathering" quite a bit on this thread, but I wanted to tell you all that since Saturday I have deleted ALL my e-mails from Hobby Lobby and Joann's WITHOUT OPENING them. Also, I was just cleaning my kitchen...PLEASE don't even picture in your mind what THAT might look like] and I found a Hobby Lobby coupon for this week and I threw it away! THIS IS BIG TIME NEWS from a gal who will go into HL everyday when they have a 40% off coupon just to spend $2.99 on a Tim Holtz embellishment that normally runs $4.99! Besides that...my sweet, normally not saying anything about it, hubby is showing some "concern" about crafting spending. So between the posts on this thread and my hubby, I am striving to be a wiser steward of my monies. Thanks for all your help everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I seem to be "blathering" quite a bit on this thread, but I wanted to tell you all that since Saturday I have deleted ALL my e-mails from Hobby Lobby and Joann's WITHOUT OPENING them. Also, I was just cleaning my kitchen...PLEASE don't even picture in your mind what THAT might look like] and I found a Hobby Lobby coupon for this week and I threw it away! THIS IS BIG TIME NEWS from a gal who will go into HL everyday when they have a 40% off coupon just to spend $2.99 on a Tim Holtz embellishment that normally runs $4.99! Besides that...my sweet, normally not saying anything about it, hubby is showing some "concern" about crafting spending. So between the posts on this thread and my hubby, I am striving to be a wiser steward of my monies. Thanks for all your help everyone.
WAY TO GO!! It is all about the baby steps but you, RavioliGirl, are taking some big girl steps. That is awesome!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

always enjoy following this thread. I think I'm doing pretty well, and then wham, I find myself with $200 worth of stuff in a shopping cart on-line filled with stuff that I really don't need. Yes, they are nice, yes, they are new, but NO I don't need them. I closed the window and tried not to look back, but won a small victory in overcoming my addiction. I really think it is an addicition. I can get so excited when I place that order, buy that stuff. Then when it actually gets to my scrapbook room, I'm kind of 'ho-hum' with it. From now on, 'ho-hum' will not be good enough. If a product isn't going to make me do a cartwheel not only when I buy it but when I actually take possession of it, it's not coming into my home. I have 9 years til I turn 62 and would really like to at least have the option of retiring - and quite honestly, all those supplies are not going to keep the lights on! I need to retrain my thinking.
So, my intent when I posted was to see if I'm alone in the fill the cart club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdscrapperView Post
always enjoy following this thread. I think I'm doing pretty well, and then wham, I find myself with $200 worth of stuff in a shopping cart on-line filled with stuff that I really don't need. Yes, they are nice, yes, they are new, but NO I don't need them. I closed the window and tried not to look back, but won a small victory in overcoming my addiction. I really think it is an addicition. I can get so excited when I place that order, buy that stuff. Then when it actually gets to my scrapbook room, I'm kind of 'ho-hum' with it. From now on, 'ho-hum' will not be good enough. If a product isn't going to make me do a cartwheel not only when I buy it but when I actually take possession of it, it's not coming into my home. I have 9 years til I turn 62 and would really like to at least have the option of retiring - and quite honestly, all those supplies are not going to keep the lights on! I need to retrain my thinking.
So, my intent when I posted was to see if I'm alone in the fill the cart club?

sdscrapper, you are NOT alone. I am soon to be 62, unemployed, no insurance, no pension, no savings and still trying to pay off a mortgage. You sound like me, only I was doing the same on a smaller scale. For me, to spend $40 in Hobby Lobby on items I already had, but in a different color, pattern or texture was a thrill. I DID invest in a Big Kick two months ago and now am longing to buy dies, nestabilities and folders. BUT, like you so wisely said, those things sure aren't going to pay the electric or heat bill come winter.

It MOST CERTAINLY is an ADDICTION. And, I am embarrassed and ashamed to say that when I would have $10 or $20 in my pocket, my heart would go "pitter pat" as I drove to Hobby Lobby or Joann's. Then I saw this thread. I didn't read all of it, but what I read helped me to face the music. Yes, I'd love to have all the toys and accessories [and I do have some nice things that I purchased when I was working.] Like all things, IT IS RELATIVE...I have not as much as some and probably more than a lot of others.

I appreciate you putting it all into words for us...and me. I have really had to face myself and my little stamping demons this Fall. I'm going to try to keep on the straight and narrow and I think the thoughts posted on this thread can be a help in doing that. Thanks for being a part of that process.

RavioliGirl
Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can I join?
Two weeks ago, I became an official 99er. For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, it means I was laid off from a dying profession, collected all the unemployment benefits available to me, and now have no job, no prospects in sight and no income. And I don't have a husband or significant other to contribute to the household.

Knowing that I could be without any income, I did what any dedicated crafter would do. I went on a spending spree! I bought a few used and two new stamp sets, a Big Shot, a couple dies and a texture starter set. Thankfully, all but the new stamp sets were greatly discounted purchases.

I also stocked up on canned food, paid some of my utility bills through the end of the year and my car insurance through March.

Now, it is the time to hunker down, bite the bullet and say "No!" to spending money. I think it's also time that I installed my sister's hand-me-down QuickBooks program and started tracking all my purchases.

So glad to know that I'm not alone in this quest to not spend money.

And BTW ... I'm 52 -- old in the job search market, but far to young to retire. Heck, I'll never be able to retire. I spent most of my adult life as a homemaker, which means my Social Security check will be a joke if I even considered retiring before I'm 67. And yes, I can draw from my ex-hubby, but I recently learned that I'd only be entitled to half his benefit, which will be about the same I'd get if I draw from my own.

Last edited by melissa59; 10-31-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Can I join?
Two weeks ago, I became an official 99er. For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, it means I was laid off from a dying profession, collected all the unemployment benefits available to me, and now have no job, no prospects in sight and no income. And I don't have a husband or significant other to contribute to the household.

Knowing that I could be without any income, I did what any dedicated crafter would do. I went on a spending spree! I bought a few used and two new stamp sets, a Big Shot, a couple dies and a texture starter set. Thankfully, all but the new stamp sets were greatly discounted purchases.

I also stocked up on canned food, paid some of my utility bills through the end of the year and my car insurance through March.

Now, it is the time to hunker down, bite the bullet and say "No!" to spending money. I think it's also time that I installed my sister's hand-me-down QuickBooks program and started tracking all my purchases.

And BTW ... I'm 52 -- old in the job search market, but far to young to retire. Heck, I'll never be able to retire. I spent most of my adult life as a homemaker, which means my Social Security check will be a joke if I even considered retiring before I'm 67. And yes, I can draw from my ex-hubby, but I recently learned that I'd only be entitled to half his benefit, which will be about the same I'd get if I draw from my own.
Melissa my heart goes out to you, RavoliGirl and others in your situation. If I was in your place I would be frozen in time the minute I lost my job and unable to spend a penny on anything I didn't absolutely need. I would probably give up coffee and drink just water.
I started working part time after school when I was 13 and worked full time all of my adult life. I retired 12 years ago. I never drew unemployment, but I have deep empathy for the millions in your situation.

It is a vicious circle that no one seems to be able to stop.. As more people lose their jobs or run out of unemployment benefits businesses lose more sales and lay off more people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #69  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Can I join?

Aw, keep your chin up and your purse strings drawn...I surely know what it's like...I think a lot of us here have been in your shoes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

Melissa - hope things start to look up for you. A good reminder for us employed to be thankful for the jobs we have. But I understand the spending spree - it's like if you're going to suddenly quit buying, you have to have one last spree - or hit or drink or whatever you want to call this addicition! I'm guessing you have some stash around. Maybe there is a way for you to sell some cards, or something. Might be the right time of year. Try to stay positive and know that there is something out there for you! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #71  
Embossing Fanatic

Wish I had found this post 2 weeks ago. I am amazed by all of you. You've done a great job staying so positive and on track. I'm hoping I will be able to learn a thing or two from you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
If I was in your place I would be frozen in time the minute I lost my job and unable to spend a penny on anything I didn't absolutely need . . .
It is a vicious circle that no one seems to be able to stop.. As more people lose their jobs or run out of unemployment benefits businesses lose more sales and lay off more people.
Barbara, looking back, spending the money was a silly thing to do. I justified it by telling myself that I needed the items to make sets of cards for my mother as a Christmas gift. It would be cheaper to buy to buy her a sweater. Odd thing is, I hardly spent anything on crafts my first 1 1/2 years out of work.

As for the vicious cycle, you've got that right! Many of my former coworkers have fled the state to find work. A couple have lost their homes. Unemployment in my county is 14%. There are empty storefronts everywhere, foreclosed homes for sale on almost every street and even the conversations overheard in fast food places are about the economy.

I'm luckier than many. The house is paid off and I still have a little money set aside for a few months of necessities--which means groceries and gasoline, not pretty paper and punches. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #73  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbearzView Post
Wish I had found this post 2 weeks ago. I am amazed by all of you. You've done a great job staying so positive and on track. I'm hoping I will be able to learn a thing or two from you all.
Which of course makes me want to ask what happened two weeks ago? Must have been a moment of weakness for you in a craft store?

Take care...hang in there...I'm sure we could all continue to create lovely things with what we have. Necessity IS the mother of invention!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

I found some stickers last night that I will NEVER use, not even sure where they came from. I have them ready to go to my niece who is a teacher. I thought she could use them. I'm even thinking about trying to sell some of my stash. Truthfully, I will never miss them! I sometimes look back when all my supplies fit into a smaller cedar chest that we kept in the living room, and want that again. So much can be overwhelming. So in order to get to a more manageable place, I have to stop buying, start using and maybe even try to sell a few things. So I will be checking this thread often to see how everyone is doing and for inspiration. I don't want to give up this wonderful hobby, but I want it to again become a hobby that is enjoyed and loved, and not an obsession that is controlling me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #75  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Which of course makes me want to ask what happened two weeks ago? Must have been a moment of weakness for you in a craft store?

Take care...hang in there...I'm sure we could all continue to create lovely things with what we have. Necessity IS the mother of invention!
LOL it was about a $200 shopping spree between Archivers and TM:mrgreen:
It didn't start out that way. It started as a quest for the flowers at TM and next thing I knew I was being pulled by an irresistible force into Archivers. I tried so hard to resist but I just couldn't...of course the bind it all at TM didn't help either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

OK. Just takin a quick moment to check in. The biggest thing for my addiction was to stop a monthly kit club that I loved. Not a bad thing if you just got the kit, but I wanted EVERYTHING they put out - whether I was crazy about it or not - in the forum there we always joked about drinking the koolaid! Some great people and talented people over on their forum, but I just have to stay away from there. I'm a joiner by nature and have learned I need to stay away from the temptation! I do think, though, that next week when I'm off work, I will make a trip to our LSS. Not that I need anything, but inspiration and supporting my LSS. It will be cash only, no check or CC. FOr some reason, cold hard cash is much harder to spend than a check or cc! Has anybody here ever kept track of what you use? I read where one gal made it a goal to use every stamp set in her stash over the course of a year. Thought about trying that. I have many, blush, that have never met up with a stap pad!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

All mine have seen ink, even if it's only to stamp a sample for my binder. Does that count? :rolleyes:

I have been rather naughty. I have spent a lot on supplies for cards that I will be selling ie. stickers for kid themes as I have no stamps in that category. I also found out my CTMH demo is quitting so she had a farewell open house (she paid the shipping), so I spent almost $500 after taxes. I spent an extra $110 I wasn't planning on by getting their cricut cartridge set. I have a cricut that I've only used twice, so I am hoping I will get brave enough to tackle using it with this. If I do it will be worth more than the $110 as I have at least 14 cartridges and a machine languishing in a drawer.

So where does this leave me? Just a little over what I spent last year so I guess it could have been worse. If I sell stuff, that sort of covers off some of the spending. The sale is this weekend so I'll know soon enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I'm reporting in as well, in September I got fitted with a walking boot due to an injury to my Achilles tendon and I'm just not getting out except to work. I have been doing all the Mom stuff I can, we have a DD who is a Freshman in High School and on the Cross Country team, so I am able to get to those meets. I just don't have the energy to walk around and shop so I've been staying out of the craft stores a lot more than I used to.

I purchased the Fiskars stamp press thing, I'm going to unmount all the wheel stamps and this will fit them just fine. I did use a coupon and my instructor discount at JoAnn's so it was inexpensive.

I made my best friend a mini album using a paper stack I already owned, I just picked up a few embellishments that are custom to the paper. Turned out great, she'll love it.

Cartridges - I've been very good since this summer. I purchased Trim the Tree (a very old seasonal) on sale for $19.95 and I ordered Pink Journey from Cricut.com. This is the Breast Cancer Awareness cartridge that you could only get if you bought a Pink Expression, so a cartridge is a lot less than buying a machine to get the cartridge. The cartridge also has running/walking images that will work with DD's album since she is a runner. I have two more cartridges that I'd like to own, but they are new releases and I'll get them sometime after the new year.

My short term future goal is to stay out of the craft stores on Black Friday. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #79  
Hardware Hotshot

I fell off the wagon in June and July due to the pending increase in Copics. However I am back on track
I cut my craft budget in half to make up for some of my excessive spending in June and July.

I am back to my original wish list system.
I run a DATED wish list on recipe cards for each week of things I think I have to have.

I wait 6 weeks and revisit the card from 6 weeks ago. I find that 98% of the things I thought I wanted now I can't recall why I wanted them :(
I transfer the very few things that I still want to a more permanent wish list and toss the rest .
Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #80  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I started on the original stop spending thread and all it did was make me want to buy so I opted out of the thread. However, I did not go back to my original spending.

Almost all the stamps and dies I've bought this year have been used in my classes.

I only go to Michael's, JoAnn's, & LSS if I need something.

I have bought only a quarter of the paper I used to buy. Most paper purchases were tied directly to a class and only repurchased colors when I needed them for a class.

I sold off retired stamps I knew I'd never use again.

I have bought more big shot dies and embossing folders but again these have all been used in a class. When I buy a die, I factor it into the class cost so the class is actually paying for the die.

Where I've spent money this year is making sure I have refills for all my stamp pads and copics and I only added 15 new copic colors.

I've been using up supplies, paper, and embellishments and I don't replace them. It feels good to be using up what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes