Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #81  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityHandView Post
Funny thing. After I said something about peach and teal, I made a card using light orange... I swear it's not peach! lol and a deep crystal blue. Again, not teal, but it is awful close... tee hee.

And I actually love the way they go together. Does that mean I contradicted my self?! Oh well.
I guess both of us spoke too soon.

Your card sounds pretty.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #82  
Watercolor Wizard

Interesting thread to read as the 2011 year comes to an end .......

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #83  
Rubber Obsessor

Pantone has named its color of the year for 2012: Tangerine Tango, which is a deep orange. Almost looks like someone mixed a drop or two of black paint into a container of orange paint. Tangerine Tango is a dramatic orange, as shown on Pantone's website.

I like the color, but I think Pantone is a year or two late hopping on the orange trend. Then again, maybe they will say they started it, since Mimosa (a sunny orange-tinged yellow) was the Color of the Year for 2009. What do y'all think? Is Pantone leading or following the pack with this selection?

As for my not-so-fearless 2012 predictions, I wouldn't change what I said for 2011, other than to perhaps doubly emphasize the popularity of stencils and mixed-media techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

Just wanted to add that I think there is a smidgen of red in Tangerine Tango.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #85  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityHandView Post
What if early 90's stuff makes a come back... like "country" ducks, pigs and cows? Peach and Teal (like the colors in my Aunt's wedding) too? Yikes! That would not be my thang! lol
OH MY GAH! My uncle's wife had a peach wedding dress. I will never forget that fake flower extravaganza . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrellView Post
OH MY GAH! My uncle's wife had a peach wedding dress. I will never forget that fake flower extravaganza . . .
LOL! What were we thinking in those days?

I think (hope) that country cute has been permanently put out to pasture. I do think that Pantone's color choices both 2011 and 2012 reflect a re-emergence of deep yet fiery colors and jewel tones. Color experts may say that neither Honeysuckle nor Tangerine Tango are jewel tones, but they are pretty darn close, IMO. Jewel tones are back, and I would not be surprised if Stampin' Up! re-releases some of its retired colors under new names and/or in slightly different shades and tones.

If jewel tones are back, can metallics be far behind? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #87  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHoosierView Post

That's an interesting question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #88  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

LOL! What were we thinking in those days?

I think (hope) that country cute has been permanently put out to pasture. I do think that Pantone's color choices both 2011 and 2012 reflect a re-emergence of deep yet fiery colors and jewel tones. Color experts may say that neither Honeysuckle nor Tangerine Tango are jewel tones, but they are pretty darn close, IMO. Jewel tones are back, and I would not be surprised if Stampin' Up! re-releases some of its retired colors under new names and/or in slightly different shades and tones.

Do you think SU!'s demos and customers would revolt if they did that?

I will say that most of the SU colors that I like/have purchase could be considered jewel tones. I generally prefer Pumpkin Pie to Tangerine Tango, but I may revisit that. I need to make a SU order now that I think about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #89  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree and think manufacturers will be showcasing minimalist, clean and simple styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction for 2012, not so much a theme, but a little different.

I think we're going to be seeing lots more dies, not so new, I know, but I think this trend might explode. Now that we've done the basic shapes, I think we're going to continue to see more specialized dies and dies with coordinating stamps. By specialized, I mean maybe more 3D (flowers, boxes etc.) Again, not new, but still I expect this avenue is just beginning to appeal.

I'm basing this on a lot of surfing. Seems that stamp companies are either A) starting die lines or B) really sharing the focus between just plain stamps and dies. I've looked at quite a few of the companies with regular releases; when they have a new "stamp" release, it includes lots of (usually coordinating, sometimes not) dies. Of course, in one or two cases, it's coordinating punches instead.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents' worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #91  
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

I think we will see a ton of metal die cuts and embossing folders from all stamp companys.
I do beleive punches are on there way out.
QFTD127
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #92  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by YLMView Post
I think we will see a ton of metal die cuts and embossing folders from all stamp companys.
I do beleive punches are on there way out.
Punches take up a lot more storage room than dies and over time probably cost more, plus they are aren't very versatile. One of these days, when I have some extra money, I will have to break down and buy a Sizzix or a Cuttlebug. Punches will probably be available, but they will not be as prominent as time goes on.

Last edited by StampinHoosier; 01-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Added necessary word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #93  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 822 Likes on 334 Posts

Quote:

Metallics are out? oops! I've been using them, of course I never stopped using jewel tones either! I guess I don't follow trends very well. Hmmm aha it must be the Scottish bloodline. Yep that's it, I'm very thrifty and use what I have. lol

I agree with a previous post, I hope the HUGE bows, and fake flowers will go out of style. I'm so not a fan.

I wanted to know how Pantone's 2012 spring colors translated into Prismacolors, I blogged about it and here is Prisma's palette of matches: Pantone 2012 Spring Colors | PRISMACOLOR Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #94  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't follow the trends either, but it is fun to speculate and discuss what's out there now and what trends are still hot or seem to be on the upswing. I don't know that jewel tones and metallics ever went completely "out," but I have some old Rubber Stamper and Somerset Studio magazines from the late 90s and early 00s. Both the projects sent in by readers and the ads had a lot of deep blues, purples, and reds and metallics. Embossing was big in those days, not that it is out now. Wax seals or faux wax seals made with hot glue and pigment inks were sorto popular, too. There were also a lot of earth tones and southwestern stamps and card designs. I just think that we don't see those things as much now as we did 10 to 15 years ago.

Vintage and artsy stuff was popular, but the border punches, retro themes, stencils, spray inks, and other stuff that are hot now were either not being used at all or were not as prominent. Some of that has to do with new products coming along that are specifically made for stampers and scrapbookers. Certainly the colors that have been popular the last few years were not as prominent in the 90s' and early 00s. The lime, chartreuse, and apple greens of today were not too popular, IIRC. Gray was a neutral, but you didn't see it used with orange and yellow all that much like you do now. Gray was used with other neutrals such as black, brown, beige, or maybe a southwestern red.

The stamping books from those days also had a lot of similar stuff. I have an old book by Dee Gruenig, and the colors she used were shockingly bright by today's standards. Now that I look at the book, I can't imagine why I bought it, LOL.

I don't think that anything really goes away permanently. Trends come and go, and things rise and fall in popularity.

Last edited by StampinHoosier; 01-24-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #95  

I still have Somerset Studio issues from the very first one through 2002, and I still look at them for inspiration and techniques I may have forgotten about. I stopped subscribing when it got so full of modern art. I hate the headless and faceless people, people wearing bday hats and angel wings etc. Avant-garde I think is what you call it. I bought an issue recently and it appears to be changing again. I may subscribe again. I sure did love those early years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with you that Somerset Studio went through a period where the magazine was adrift. Seemed as if it was mostly stamping and calligraphy projects in the early years, then it went toward mixed media but almost seemed to not know what direction to go in. Now there is very little stamping, but I think they still have the "With One Stamp " department or something like that. I stopped buying it for several years also, because the projects seemed repetitive and colorless. A lot of what was in there was just not anything I was interested in seeing or doing. I like the magazine better now, too. Maybe I like the return of color or that the magazine has a focus, even if it isn't stamping, per se.

One thing that Stampington has done, which I find a bit disappointing, is that their stamping magazines have little in the way of instruction and articles about stamping trends and techniques. I know that Stampers' Sampler and Take Ten mainly showcase cards--which I love--but mixing in an article or two would be good, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like we're going to see a lot of postal themed images/papers in a vintage style ...and all things text, like train schedules or other vintage ledgers.

Design with a graphic edge, like more chevron, quatrefoil and other bold patterns.
...Painterly looks like splatters & brush strokes. Washi tape & other masking tapes and stencils and sprays or spritzes look like they are likely going to get even hotter.

It's so fun to watch the new CHA releases...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #98  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampztoomuchView Post
Looks like we're going to see a lot of postal themed images/papers in a vintage style ...and all things text, like train schedules or other vintage ledgers.

Design with a graphic edge, like more chevron, quatrefoil and other bold patterns.
...Painterly looks like splatters & brush strokes. Washi tape & other masking tapes and stencils and sprays or spritzes look like they are likely going to get even hotter.

It's so fun to watch the new CHA releases...
I have all kinds of postal things: rubber stamps, real canceled postage, faux postage, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #99  
Matboard Maniac

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #100  
Glitter Queen

I do know that for the home and in fashion, the color Tiffany Blue is really hot for this year - so I predict that this will carry over into paper crafting and stamping, alongside Vintage and Victorian images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #101  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

Just read somewhere that hexagons are coming in big....??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #102  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
Just read somewhere that hexagons are coming in big....??
I've seen a bunch of stuff out and about. Don't know if it's an upcoming trend or that I'm more in-tuned to looking at hexagons because I desperately want multi-sized hexagon punches. I'm hoping it's an upcoming trend and someone will finally manufacturer the punches! If someone knows of anyone who currently makes them, I'd love to know who. I know some electronic cutting systems have the capability, but I want punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think DIE's are going to explode...and that includes PUNCHES. I went to a craft show a few weeks ago & they were everywhere...I noticed because I'm getting quite a collection, & sadly there were many I'd have liked to purchase but one can't buy everything!! Yet still I'm on the hunt for a few more unusual dies...like wagon wheels and wheelbarrows if any die manufacturers are listening!
I think vintage women & images stamps will grow in popularity.
Reply With Quote Likes