Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Only?

Ok - call me crazy...but I'm thinking of going SU only! I really like the direction they are headed with the clear mount option and the new colors are exciting. It threw me for a loop at first, but I've warmed up to it Plus - I just love the stamp styles and my demo is awesome. It's not that I don't like other stamps (Stamping Bella is my second love), or other paper (hello October Afternoon!) - but I think the less other stuff I look at, the less I feel overwhelmed, the less I think I need and the more inspired I feel. With all the talk lately of dumping SU and moving on for some, I'm feeling the desire to stay. I think I'll probably start unloading some stuff next week and start saving up for the new catalog and the upcoming mini. So...I guess I can't say I'm swearing everything else off - but more making SU my first stop. Those are the stamps, paper and ink I reach for first - even when I'm stamping with my bella's or adding some other papers.

...back to your regularly scheduled program! I was just feeling SU warm and fuzzies today and wanted to share
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I became SU only at some point in the last two years (I also became a demo last year, just made sense since I was spending the minimums). AND I've never been happier or more creative. I was also overwhelmed with too much stuff. With SU I KNOW what goes together and what to use with what. I actually SAVE money because I don't buy as much that doesn't get used. I tend to use all my SU stuff. I'd go buy random stuff and the store and then not know what it looked good with or what to do with it. I've never looked back!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Not crazy at all. I am almost all SU. I have a few things that aren't but I LIKE it that their stuff all goes together. I LIKE it that I don't get somethign and have nothing it works with. I LIKE it that I can call my demo and ask questions if I have them. I definitely save $$ by not getting much non-SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, yes.....this has always been my reason for staying 95% SU. Well, that I love the quality, colors, ease of staying with one company, love my demo, etc. I buy less, and get less overwhelmed. I also love the new um.

I also love some other companies...Gina K, Clear Art Stamps, & Amuse. I just have a few of these. I love cosmo cricket & Amy Butlter paper...just have a few.

Thanks for sending some SU warm fuzzies!

Less can be More!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm about 99.9% SU. Think I've bought a few UM's, but all my inks and papers are SU. I'm just so unimaginative that SU has taken all the work out of making sure something matches or coordinates. Just my .02 worth.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're not going to give up coming to SCS are you? This site is most responsible for making me aware of the assortment of everything available. Just viewing the gallery can make me spend a few $$s.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Since I stopped buying so much other paper, embellisments and inks and have just stuck with SU, my creativity has unfolded right before my eyes. I was always overwhelmed because I have to have matchy matchy (its just my personality and my own problem!). I was feeling severly paralyzed when creating something and it all didnt match. I was terribly unhappy with my scrapbooking and am subsequently going back and going to redo all my books since I have found SU.

I do still buy other things, like Sizzix Alphabets that I cant get from SU, but overall, my inks, designer series papers, cardstock, ribbon and accessories are all SU and I am totally happy with that decision. I agree, I bought some Copics about 4 weeks ago and they havent even touched paper yet!

Honestly, sometimes owning too much stuff can be more debilitating rather than liberating! Thanks for some positive SU love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Great idea!

I think its a great idea. I did the same myself, very recently. I packed away most of my other stuff (and there was LOTS of it) and decided to take the SU plunge. Haven't looked back! Not only has it saved me money (I don't spend a little at every place I see!) But it has really bolstered my output and creativity! Limit youself to a defined set of products and you spend less time looking for what do to and more time just doing! I think you'll love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDeeView Post
You're not going to give up coming to SCS are you? This site is most responsible for making me aware of the assortment of everything available. Just viewing the gallery can make me spend a few $$s.
Definitely won't be giving up SCS! In fact, the drive to go more SU became more and more apparent when I would click on the SU Gallery link and ooh and aah more at those cards than some others. If I'm ever wishy washy on an SU set, it's SCS that throws me over the edge and then I can't live without it! I'm looking forward to the next Techniques Club my demo is having - probably going to order Awash with Flowers :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the coordinating thing with SU and I signed up because I figured that I might as well get the discount for as much as I was buying. I now have a great group of Ladies and love getting together with them for our club meetings.
I do use probably 90 to 95% SU. But I also use other companies things for my personal use. I started out as SU only, but as my creativeness has grown, I am able to add other companies products to mix with my SU stuff. I guess it all depends on what works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: in a parallel universe, where i get to stamp all day!

Mitzi. I did the same thing a year ago. I just found that I gravitated to what they had to offer. I packed up all the stuff I wasn't using, donated it to Ronald McDonald and invested in more SU stuff. I've become much more creative purely because everything matches and I always have the right ribbon, etc. Also, I love the way they have gone with unmounted (love it!) and the new color renovation is fabulous.
It doesn't stop me from now and again buying something I love outside of SU. It doesn't stop me from loving being here on SCS. It doesn't stop me from marveling at some of the incredible creations made with non-SU product. It was just my personal decision.
I would never dictate that anyone else do the same and love the fact that there is so much choice for so many people to use on their projects.
I don't regret making the decision at all. Neither do I judge anyone who chooses not to.
Have fun with the new colors, I think you will love playing with them.
jaydee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm 100% SUOnly. [minus 1: I have a Scorepal.] I find it easier to create with the coordinating items. A couple of my customers have told me they love the fact we have a store within a catalog, and they can coordinate all their needs with just SU. And they feel it saves them money in the long run, by not buying from different vendors that might not match either in color combinations or in stamp sets.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I started out with Stampin' Up! and quickly fell in love with stamping. I then started buying up so much from other sources and got overwhelmed. I ended up getting rid of everything but SU! and I've been SU! only for the last 3 years and I love it! It's so much easier for me to create with the coordinating products. I'm glad you decided to share your warm fuzzies because I have them, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I went SU only back in September and find it so very freeing. Like others have said too much stuff is way over whelming. It takes me less time to figure out what I will use. I don't miss the other stuff at all and it sure helps my wallet as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

i'm an su demo but i've been known to muddy the waters occasionally. but since su came out with clear blocks (which are the nicest blocks i've used) and kept the excellent quality of the rubber stamps, i can't see much reason to wander. their papers are the best (imho) and with the new color renovation, i am more excited than ever to be a stamper! (yes, you heard me. it's much more about the stamping than the selling for me...just ask my wallet if you don't believe me!) oh-and btw-if it's good enough for zindorf; it's good enough for me! she's my muse! (but not in a sick, stalker way, zindorf. i promise!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's really easy to get overwhelmed with stuff, and it can stifle your creativity. I limit myself to three main companies (SU is one; PTI and Hero Arts are the other two), but still feel a tad overwhelmed at times.

If SU's current direction has you all jumpin' for joy, go for it and stand proud!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely follow your bliss!

You might consider becoming a demo as well. For several years I was my own best customer, had two friends who were also SU! fans and together we easily met my minimums. After I had a decent stash I stepped away (not comfortable being a demo-demo, not my personality match at all!).

I couldn't do what you're planning to do. Too many treasures that I use over and over that I would have to give away. I agree that too much to look at can sap creativity in the tsunami of choices so whatever you need to do to limit that is important.

We got into this to have fun, right? When it stops being a pleasure, it's time to step back, evaluate, change it up so the joy is back in the picture. If being SU! only will help bring back the joy, then go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I was introduced to card making via SU about 3years ago. I have exclusively used their products, but SCS has opened my eyes to other stamp companies out there. I'm not wandering away from them, but just adding more variety to my stamp collection. I've been playing with Unity, Bellas, Anyas, Cat's PJs - just to broaden my knowledge of the many types of stamps and images out there.

But what do I use for my core supplies? SU only! I have all the inks/papers/embellies because it makes coordinating colors so much easier... especially since I'm seriously color-impaired. As much as there are many beautiful papers and ink colors out there, I've shied away from purchasing because I fear it won't match.

I LOVE SU and I'm very excited with the new changes. I bought my first clear-mount stamp set during the last week of SAB and took advantage of the Apr promo the following week and I look forward to the new color changes. Because of SU's quality, ease of working in the color families, and investment in the supplied I have made, I don't anticipate moving away from SU.

Happy stamping everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Hey, OP, you're not crazy. I do stray a little by buying stamps from two other companies. When I unmounted a while back, I went a little wild but I found I didn't use them. And, because SU doesn't have hot press watercolor paper, I stray there. But, otherwise, I like sticking with SU. I too find it freeing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

You're not crazy, but I found SUO being very stifling. As a demo, I used SUO for demo swaps but there were sooooo many times that I had an idea in my mind that I couldn't create with SUO simply because SU didn't carry the stamp designs for anything close to what I wanted, or I didn't have the time or desire to try and create the background paper I wanted because SU didn't have anything I liked. I loved the fact that I could get matching products, but I love using organdy ribbon, and SU got rid of all their matching organdy ribbon awhile ago. If I was going to be purchasing my ribbon and printed paper elsewhere (usually for less money than what it use to cost me with SU), then I may as well get my other supplies while I was at it.

I've actually found the world of stamping too big to stick to one company. If I didn't have a certain style of stamping and certain colors I tended towards, then I probably wouldn't have a problem sticking with one company, but SU simply doesn't carry (or no longer carries) a lot of the colors and styles I use the most. They retired so much of their vintage stuff awhile back and now finally coming back with bits and pieces in the Shelli's Signature Collection. Uhm, gee, Shelli, some of us never stopped using that style so it's not exactly a new, trendy thing that needed a special collection to highlight.

Good luck with going SUO. Hopefully you won't find it as stifling as I did and SU will expand their line of products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #21  

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

I am chiming in here too because I am thoroughly convinced that limiting my choices does free up my creativity! I am amazed at how when I limit my choices my mind can more easily come up with different ways to use what I have!! What I have is SU because it's what I love.

My artistic skills really suffer when my desk is in chaos. In the same way as clearing clutter, sticking with one line of products helps me. Makes it easier to focus on what I want to create, instead of what I will use....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #22  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with many of the above posters. I am 95% SUO, but have some Copics, nesties, and a few stamps I love from other places. But, I find I don't actually USE the other company stuff as much as I think I will. It usually turns out to be a waste of money for me. I use a few free digis and that's a lot of fun bc they work well with the copics, but I stick to SU colors when I use them. I love that I know I have DP, paper, ribbon, buttons, everything to match! I also LOVE SU quality! I totally agree that it's freeing and saves me tons of money! The only thing I truly cannot live without, that is not SU (why oh why don't they start carrying this???), is nestabilities. I love my punches but the nesting factor and the embossing thing on the nesties is so wonderful.

So, enjoy being SUM (Stampin Up Mostly), like me, or SUO... and let's hope for some nesties and Copics in the next catty and die happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZindorfView Post
I went SU only back in September and find it so very freeing. Like others have said too much stuff is way over whelming. It takes me less time to figure out what I will use. I don't miss the other stuff at all and it sure helps my wallet as well.
ditto!

I'm pretty much SUO and I find it sooooooooooooo freeing! I actually get a little frustrated with non-SU stuff that I have so I rarely touch it ... over the past year or so, I've been selling it all (well, not all -- I still love a few other things!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Mitzi - you are not crazy, you are a genius! After reading your post, I am seriously considering getting rid of some of my non SU stuff. It makes so much more sense to not be overwhelmed with everything that's out there. Of course, I could never do without my nesties and CB folders, but I have so much ribbon that I never use because it doesn't match SU. I don't even know why I buy it! I will always be a SU color coordinated girl, but I will buy stamps from other companies to suit my style. I'm glad SU is paring down their core colors. They are on top of the trend to simplify!
Spring cleaning is really getting to my head this year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post

Honestly, sometimes owning too much stuff can be more debilitating rather than liberating! Thanks for some positive SU love!
Yep, that's why they have a program called "Hoarders."

On that note, my non stamping sister wanted to make a card for a friend, TWO HOURS! And that was with me pulling all the stuff she wanted to try. She just couldn't decide.

The color coordination was big for me, too, in staying mostly SU. I hated finding perfect paper and not being able to scrap with it because it matched none of the CS I had. Plus I always bought way too much for each layout trying to guess what I might do.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #26  

I use SU only. With the new accessories and products they keep coming out with, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Mitzi! You live really close to me....I'm in Seymour! I became a SU Demo in August of 2008 without ever attending a workshop! I didn't know the product at all....just knew I wanted to sell it! LOL! Before i signed up for SU I thought I would start out buying paper and ribbon from stores and quickly found out that SU quality was better and that the "matchy thing" won me over! I had ribbon and paper I'd never ever use. Once I spent more time trying to match up ribbon than it was worth! I finally "got it" and am SU only (of course as a Demo, that's the way I need to be, but it's by choice too!). I have no problem with the IDA because I am SU only by choice! :=) I don't think you'll regret your decision! And like someone else said, you might want to consider getting ahold of your Demo and talk to her about signing up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

It IS freeing to have less choices! Limits are challenges that stretch your creativity! Too much is sometimes just too much
I do SUM...inks and paper are almost only SU!, and stamps are mostly because of the coordination (sets) and quality, and price (per stamp) is competitive. The coordination of colors and images alone is wonderful and saves tearing your hair out!

However, as a PP mentioned...for some styles and images, you have to get out there...how could i have a complete studio without stuff from Red River and VivaLasVegaStamps, Paper Candy, Limited Edition, Cornish Heritage, etc...just funky, fun, and funny stuff that SU! doesn't do. Not to mention amusing/ribald/signature words & phrases! I love to collect stamps to use on the backs of cards with the signature. Still though, 90% of my rs collection is SU!
I have packs of scrapbooking papers and embellishments I got as some great deal or sale; and they just sit there beucase it's too much bother or impossible to find coordinating papers and inks to work with them. Started cleaning that stuff out this spring!

so, yep, why not..do whatever works for you and makes your hobby more rewarding, fun, and maybe even cost less ;) Enjoy and have fun, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I have tons of SU stuff but I use it right along with my CTMH stuff. I prefer CTMH stamps. I like clear stamps and would never unmount my SU stamps. It lessens the value of them. So I'd never go only one company but, that said, I use 90% CTMH/SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

You guys ROCK Thanks for all the encouragement and even more warm and fuzzies! I love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I've been SUO for nine years! I looked at other stuff but SU introduced me to stamping and once I saw the coordination and stamps in sets, I rarely found other things that I liked! With the revamp of mini catalogs, I find their stuff to be fresh and fun without giving me so many options that I can't think. I've strayed here and there (for jewels!!) but now that we'll have those in the new catty in July, I'm pretty content. I do check from time to time online and in the craft store but I always come back to me!

Like another poster mentioned, if you are really considering it, why not think about being a demo? You don't have to sell anything to anyone else and the minimums are fairly low ($300/quarter). The best parts are the pre-orders and sneek peeks! Oh, and the 20% discount on everythign you buy!

~W
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I found this thread interesting...I used to only buy SU products, but have gotten bored with the same things and each new stamp set that comes out seems like just a revamp of an old one. There was not one thing in the new Summer Mini that I feel I need. Yay!

As far as cardstock...I buy all my colored cardstock from SU, and will continue to do so, I love the colors that are coming out, and love most of the old ones, so that won't change. But as far as stamps themselves, I love so many other companies!!

I just buy what I love and refuse to be limited to ONE company for anything. I do find it interesting though that so many of you find it easier to be creative when limited. Might have to try this?? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

This thread is SO refreshing! I LOVE SU and use it almost exclusively. (I do so adore the scripture stamps from Our Daily Bread designs, and the girls and boys from Elzybelles.) I am excited about the new Color Collections and the extended life of the In Colors. I have tried many other companies products, and have learned that (for me), SU is my favorite. Thanks, Mitzi, for sharing your thoughts with us so that we can enjoy a positive Stampin' Up! thread together. Stamping hugs!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I could never go SUO! I started out SUO and quickly became bored with all the matchy-matchy that everyone else was using. I like coming up with my own color/paper combos.

I buy cardstock from PTI, Gina K, Prism, and SU and have it on hand to match my various Basic Grey papers. I really don't care for SU's DSP.

Good luck to those that have gone SUI... limiting myself like that would be stifling to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

<---------- is an SU! girl!

i just wanted to chime in cause when i have time i know i am gonna want to come back and stalk some galleries!

i'm just sayin'!

i do buy some non SU! but not a lot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Wow! Leave it to SCSers to get me thinking. I'm mostly SU, and whenever I purchase paper or stamps from other companies, I'm usually disappointed (with the exception of PTIs white cardstock and images from Cornish Heritage Farms). I love SUs style -- it just speaks to me.

Now I'm wondering... how much room will I have for new SU stuff if I unload all of my non-SU stuff? There is a new catalog coming out...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
<---------- is an SU! girl!

i just wanted to chime in cause when i have time i know i am gonna want to come back and stalk some galleries!

i'm just sayin'!

i do buy some non SU! but not a lot
Michelle, I did not know you were SU only......how cool! I miss chattin' with you and I miss seeing your stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I am primarly SU only too....though like some others who have posted before me......I do have a score-pal and cricut too. I am not a cutsie person so some of those other stamp companies do not interest me. That's not to say I do not have other stamps from other companies......80-90% is SU only. I also love their CS and DP.....especially the way everything coordinates. It makes my creating so much easier.

I wonder what it says about us that like the matchy-matchy and ease of SU?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 AM   #39  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
I am primarly SU only too....though like some others who have posted before me......I do have a score-pal and cricut too. I am not a cutsie person so some of those other stamp companies do not interest me. That's not to say I do not have other stamps from other companies......80-90% is SU only. I also love their CS and DP.....especially the way everything coordinates. It makes my creating so much easier.

I wonder what it says about us that like the matchy-matchy and ease of SU?????

That we are SMART and AWESOME:-)

OR we have a little OCD, LOL.

You decide:p

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

[quote=Minders;16539319][/color]

That we are SMART and AWESOME:-)

OR we have a little OCD, LOL.

Oh that's funny......I once had someone tell me that everyone is somewhere on the Autism Spectrum......that's what's wrong with me! LOL!

I like to think that I am just KISSing it.....Keep It Simple Sweetie!
Reply With Quote Likes