Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #321  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
Thanks but those comments weren't for my card, they were for another gal's.
:oops:

Sorry, I did not look closely enough at the poster's name I like your card, it picks up the colors in your dp quite nicely. I really like the crystal as the handle to the dome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #322  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cramosView Post
Since I am relatively knew to the PC world I would like to know what the veterans would do to jazz this card up. To me he is a little plain, but I have not gotten into the embellishment swing yet.

Congrats by cramos - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks for looking,
Crystal
Hi there Crystal. I was just reading thru this forum. I love your card, the bright colors are so cheerful. One thing I often do on my cards is paper pricking...for example you could paper prick around your scallops. Here's a couple of examples:
Anniversary Love Bunnies by frenziedstamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Baby ConQUACKulations by frenziedstamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Another technique I love is Faux Stitching, ie: around the scallops, this would also draw the eye in...example here
Love my Teddy Bear by frenziedstamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Hope these ideas help in the future! :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #323  

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
I liked the idea I came up with but there's just something not right...anyone?? It's a birthday card for a friend and I sure don't want to give it to her looking all wrong! :confused:

[IMG][/IMG]

thanks for your help!
Hello, I know this post is late, just looking thru this forum, but here's what I'd do...
Add a white pearl to each of the dots on the bottom scallops.
Re-stamp the cherry on scrap paper, trim and mount with foam mounting tape...that will really make it pop!
...though this advice is likely all too late now, you have probably sent it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #324  
Matboard Maniac

Not quite right by Leona2025 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Ugh I made this card for a friends 5 year old bday. I felt rushed. Unfortunately I'm a slow card maker. It takes me days to think on what I want to do and use, but I didn't have that time with this card.
What can I do to make it more....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #325  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I can't tell from the photo - is it a twisted easel card?
I think one thing I would have done would be to add texture to the yellow layer, and maybe the yellow centre of the scalloped circle, too.
If it was for a girl I'd have suggested adding bling in each of the tiny banners, but not for a boy. The letters of his name, maybe?
But I bet he'll love it just as it is...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #326  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I can't tell from the photo - is it a twisted easel card?
I think one thing I would have done would be to add texture to the yellow layer, and maybe the yellow centre of the scalloped circle, too.
If it was for a girl I'd have suggested adding bling in each of the tiny banners, but not for a boy. The letters of his name, maybe?
But I bet he'll love it just as it is...
I left the yellow center black so she can add a picture of him to the circle and just have a bit of the yellow peeking out. What type of texture would you have added? And yes it's an easel card.

I wanted to add flowers, but it's a little boy, lol. I did have a set of letters for his name, but they were black and really stuck out. What color would you have suggested?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #327  

Sorry Leona, I answered this query in the wrong forum! I didnt realise it was a twisted easel card, until Sabrina bought that to our attention. So now I see the greeting on the bottom part. Truly I think the little fella will love it.
Decorating the banner further would bring it all together a little more, especially if you use the colors in the turtle bandanas. Or use gel pens for a quick pattern on the banner.
Love the idea of a photo on the flower. Sure the little guy will love it.
Hugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #328  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks! He hasn't recieved it yet and I will work on it more tonight. I think I will just start over. It's not as polished as I would like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #329  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Ah - a photo on the scallop makes sense.
A stronger deeper green for stamping letters on banners? Or even little brads would work.
Any all-over pattern was what I was thinking of for the yellow layer, but obviously probably not one of the floral ones. Something like the Provocraft Mesh, or Diamonds in The Rough. Even Bubbles might work quite well with the turtles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #330  
Matboard Maniac

Here is the reworked card. I took the advice offered and added a designed banner and even added his name. I'm not sure if too much is going on now, but I'm mostly happy with this version.
TMNT BDAY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #331  

Love the banner, think it really pops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #332  
Compulsive Stamper

I think its a great card....except I wouldn't use that font for your Happy Birthday message. Too ornate for the ambience of the "Happy, crazy card".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #333  
Compulsive Stamper

oooops...this comment wasn't meant for your card...I'm new at this too. sorry
Love the reworked card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #334  
Compulsive Stamper

to Sewflake...I love this card, but I wouldn't use such an ornate font for the Happy Birthday. The card is so fun, try a funky font.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #335  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Comments, anyone?

I have posted several cards, a few recently, but haven't received ANY comments at all, and not even any "likes". I see people are viewing it (according the the "views" anyway). Should I be doing something different? Are my cards too cutesy or not to people's tastes? Do I need to add more to the description? I'm getting very depressed. Here's one of my recent card posts: Lili of the Valley Birthday Card by mprasad - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 AM   #336  
Compulsive Stamper

After receiving this message, I went to your gallery...your cards are so cute....the only comment I would have is "less is more". You might try to pick a theme and just go with it. Try to stick to one style.. ie if you go cute, don't add more contemporary items...maybe stamped flowers with little happy faces instead of silks. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #337  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mprasadView Post
I have posted several cards, a few recently, but haven't received ANY comments at all, and not even any "likes". I see people are viewing it (according the the "views" anyway). Should I be doing something different? Are my cards too cutesy or not to people's tastes? Do I need to add more to the description? I'm getting very depressed. Here's one of my recent card posts: Lili of the Valley Birthday Card by mprasad - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
It's nothing personal or anything "wrong" with your cards - it's sheer numbers! There are somewhere between 400-500 images loaded to the gallery every day. I just glanced at the first six pages of recent uploads - almost all of them have no comments. So don't get depressed, it really isn't a reflection on what you make or how you make it.

From your post count (23 posts since 2011) I'm guessing you are not an active commenter in the gallery yourself since I believe comments count towards that total. That's not a finger pointing exercise, it's just an indication that people (you included) have different priorities and pressures on their time and many don't spend the time leaving comments.

Many of the challenges here have a culture of mutual commenting so you could try joining in with some of those to help build a community if that appeals to you.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #338  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
It's nothing personal or anything "wrong" with your cards - it's sheer numbers! There are somewhere between 400-500 images loaded to the gallery every day. I just glanced at the first six pages of recent uploads - almost all of them have no comments. So don't get depressed, it really isn't a reflection on what you make or how you make it.

From your post count (23 posts since 2011) I'm guessing you are not an active commenter in the gallery yourself since I believe comments count towards that total. That's not a finger pointing exercise, it's just an indication that people (you included) have different priorities and pressures on their time and many don't spend the time leaving comments.

Many of the challenges here have a culture of mutual commenting so you could try joining in with some of those to help build a community if that appeals to you.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense! By the way, do you know how to embed a YouTube video in one of these forum posts? I see a few embedded but there is not button on the message post for it and I can't seem to figure out what tags to use (tried YOUTUBE various ways, tried pasting the html, tried CODE...).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #339  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

By the way, do you know how to embed a YouTube video in one of these forum posts?
I guess you answered your own question as I just saw your post in the tutorials section - I'll pop back and take a look in a moment!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #340  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I guess you answered your own question as I just saw your post in the tutorials section - I'll pop back and take a look in a moment!
I tried a bunch of things but none were showing up in the preview so I just put in what I thought it should be then put in a hard link as well. The video showed up for me after it posted... I hope it shows for everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #341  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I think your card is adorable as it is. I just don't get to the galleries that often. I totally agree with if you want feedback challenges are the way to go but you have to spend time commenting as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #342  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense! By the way, do you know how to embed a YouTube video in one of these forum posts? I see a few embedded but there is not button on the message post for it and I can't seem to figure out what tags to use (tried YOUTUBE various ways, tried pasting the html, tried CODE...).
All you have to do is paste the embed code. I fix them whenever I find them with just links, but I'm glad you asked, because I would love it everyone did that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #343  

Quote:

Holy freaking cow - just went through your gallery - you are amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #344  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Holy freaking cow - just went through your gallery - you are amazing!
I need more like buttons for your post! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #345  

Quote:

Hi, I read your comments and visited your lovely gallery. Here's what I've found helpful:
1...less IS more, 1 great feature to focus attention works best.
2...join in the challenges ie one challenge this week is to use something RED...too easy!
3...comment. To have friends, you must be a friend
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #346  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenziedstamperView Post
Hi, I read your comments and visited your lovely gallery. Here's what I've found helpful:
1...less IS more, 1 great feature to focus attention works best.
2...join in the challenges ie one challenge this week is to use something RED...too easy!
Hope this helps!
Thanks frenziedstamper! I'll try to seek out some challenges. I visited your gallery - nice cards! I know what you are saying in number 1 but I think it's also one of those subjective things. I like more on my cards - my sister likes less. I do simpler cards once in a while (here's one that's pretty simple: Awash with Color: Stamps of Life Christmas Tree Card). I like a lot of the Magnolia Ink designs, although some of them can become quite busy even for me; check out some of the cards on this blog: Camilla's Magnolia blog (Norway): Cozy Christmas Tilda ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #347  

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenziedstamperView Post
Love that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #348  
Matboard Maniac

I just uploaded a few snaps of my most recent card. I was able to pick out the colors all by myself and to try to pull it together I just painted the flowers matching colors. I would like any imput on the cards. It's actually the first one I am satisfied with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #349  
Stazon Splitcoast

This card is sent but as I will be making more for the future I would appreciate any input.

4 Star General Graduation! by RiverIsis - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by RiverIsis; 06-22-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #350  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I thought someone else who knows more about graduation cards than I do might have responded! I looked at on the day you posted, and couldn't think of much, and still can't. You say it's the stamped panel you're not happy with - but I think about the only thing I would do differently is to pop the stars up! I think that the image panel works very well with the pennant banner format, which isn't (in real life) going to be fussy or elaborate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #351  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
This card is sent but as I will be making more for the future I would appreciate any input.

4 Star General Graduation! by RiverIsis - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I agree with Sabrina, above, who said there's not much to improve. It's a great card. I might add stickles (or wink of Stella) to the stars to make them pop a bit more and introduce a more casual, fun aspect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #352  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will play when I find time... I think it is that there is two images (not 3) but the space is too big for just one etc...

I have several more family members attending this school so I will keep tweaking it I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #353  
Crimping Master

RiverIsis: Are the school colors blue and gray? I like that the colors are so classic. Could you add a set of ribbon tails down on the left side under the banner? Also, it might look tighter if you try overlapping the cap and diploma. Over all, though, it's a very attractive card!
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #354  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, this is pretty much an exact replica of their school crest except for the final panel. The crest itself has an angular "G" for Generals that fills the white space and that is where I stamped the cap/diploma.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #355  
Kookie Creator

Received 279 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Stars Graduation Card

Hello!

The "flow" of the lines/arrow is down and in the middle--AWAY from your images and your text. This puts the way your eye flows through the artwork drawn down and AWAY from what you would want to be your focal point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #356  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I just noticed this thread and could really use some advice on my Christmas cards! My husband has a great eye for layouts, so I usually run my cards by him for suggestions. Personally, I am a very �symmetrical� person � I like things lined up and centered. He, on the other hand, is constantly trying to get me to move things off-center and group images differently. Drives me crazy, but he�s usually right and my cards look better �his way.�

With that background, my favorite card design that I came up with is this one: Card #3. He liked it, but thought something with the trees grouped differently (not in a line) would look better � like this one: Card #2.

The one thing we both agree on is that we prefer an odd numbers of images, so it will either be 3 or 5 trees. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #357  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like them both and TBH would tend toward your design with those stamps rather than the grouping.

I have seen both layouts on DT blogs so that doesn't help either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #358  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree, I definitely feel that card 3 is more appealing, to me anyway, than card two, though they are both absolutely beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #359  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I like #3 better too - especially the contrast between the two different trees.
I looked at #2 first, and my initial thought was that it needed a sentiment to balance things out. I know you''d have to stamp that before embossing. It's also possible that it might look better in landscape orientation (like #3), in which case I'd use the scalloped border along the bottom . Just my thoughts...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #360  
Rubber Obsessor

OK, so I'm new to Spectrum Noir pencils, but created this today. I was wondering what advice people could give me, I'm struggling with possible layouts. I was thinking of adding gems to one corner, or maybe using a template I own to cut the girl into a fancy shape, I am just really not sure how to proceed now.

Christmas Tune Time! by Breila_Cards - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes