Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU stamp set organizer/notebook

Some of you have mentioned using a notebook to stamp your sets in, or photocopying the labels, and using it as a directory. Can you show me some pics of what you are doing? TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I actually right-click on the image on the web and save it to an Excel file. I can then sort by name of set, category, etc. I love my file, and it works great for me. You can see details here. HTHs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I posted my journal pages in this thread

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

The first message has the .pdf files and if you scroll down a little further there is an attachment with a word.doc so you can edit the information.

No pictures but the blank pages may help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
I actually right-click on the image on the web and save it to an Excel file. I can then sort by name of set, category, etc. I love my file, and it works great for me. You can see details here. HTHs.
I do something really similar to this. Sooo easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a stamp inventory binder that I made. I have a how to with photos posted on my blog here: http://thescrapmaster.blogspot.com/2...son-stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

No picture but I'm in the process of stamping them in a binder. I wanted them to be in page protectors. Some people have stated they don't want them in page protectors. I also numbered all my SU sets with little dot stickers. Now I have to number them in the binder. When I started stamping them in the binder I hadn't thought of numbering my sets. What a "no-brainer" is that? Someone mentioned it in general stamping talk. I'm not starting over re-stamping them in order. It's a big enough job as it is. I'm only about 1/2 through my sets. I have about 100 sets. I will use it A LOT when I finally done with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I just copy the S/U labels before I attach them to my stamps. This way you have the name of the set, # of stamps in set & an image of each stamp. If you want you can cut the pictures apart & lay them all the same direction before copying. Than I have the pages all 3 hole punched & in a binder sorted the same as the catalog, but you can sort anyway that works for you. My sets are than all on shelves in alphabetical order which makes them the easiest to find & put away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I use an Excel worksheet w/the headings as follows. This way I can search for a description or brand, I've even used the cost! I use another worksheet for Punches.Cutting tools, Books, Miscellaneous; I got tired of bringing duplicate products home so I just print out the part of the document that I want and it's "off to the show!"
column A is so I can number and keep a count, of course it's only the row count but is frightening every time I re-do it!
Column B = gets an R if it's a Rubber stamp - only those on wood mount
C = gets a "C" for Clear acrylic, I've been throwing the unmounted rubber stamps here also
D = Title of the Group (such as Stampin Up's)
E = How Many Stamps in the Group
F = Description of the group or main stamp
G = Size (i.e., 2"x2" - if a group I don't bother)
H = Vendor
I = Item #
J = Cost
K, L, M etc = descriptions of each stamp in the set, or notation of something special about the stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

I scan each set and save the image as a jpeg file, then print them out 10 to a page and store the pages in a display book. I think the idea of copying the label is great, but all my sets were already mounted when I started to inventory them, so it was too late for that.
As I get new sets, I'll be printing out new pages for the book when I've got 10 new ones to print. I can sort the jpeg files by date so I'll always know which are the most recent ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

So many great ideas - now just to start -- LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

Another idea: take a photo of the stamp set in its storage box...open the lid and then shoot away....for those non-set stamps, make a group of like ones ( monkeys, Christmas sentiments) and shoot them...then print the photos....you can print them off on copy paper or just take them to your closest cheapest print outlet and file them in a photo book. Add details to fill in what ever else you need to know.
Best photo advice. Light from both sides, stand box up almost vertical....just enough of a tilt that the stamps don't fall out. and get close.
Note: you can write the name of the set, company and price on a piece of cardstock and include that in the photo also...would save id-ing the set later but up to you.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

By the time I started my indexing I had too many sets to stamp them all, and my time is limited so for my indexing I just got a BIG three ring binder. I then just cut up old SU catalogs (you can get them for prety cheap and sometimes free) and adhered in their tabbed different catagories the sets that I have. What I like about this method is that the sets title, price, and images are all together and if I had room I even left the sample project in the cut out. Plus, I am pretty picky and if I stamped all the set images and the last image not come out right I would have to restamp them all, but that is just my OCD coming out! LOL!! HTH! I don't have a picture right now but if you want one I can take one later. My baby is asleep in the room where my binder is right now and I don't dare even peep in there!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by GramMcCaulView Post
So many great ideas - now just to start -- LOL

I couldn't agree more! Loving the ideas posted here ladies! Thanks so much and keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I also have a binder. I have mostly SU sets, but all my sets get recorded in the book. I organize the stamped pages by category (occasions, holidays, nature, sentiments, etc...with some sets stamped for more than one category) and have my sets organized alphabetically for easy location. That way I can find a set easily whether I find it in the binder or just think "hmm, I'd like to make something with the Always set. I have the stamps separated by manufacturer (so the cd cases for my PTI don't get lost among the boxes for my SU).

My mom has her binder set up like mine, but she numbered her sets. The only downside I can see is if I want to find a set without looking in the binder...that's why mine are alphabetized.

I also have an index card file of my sentiments. So I can look at all my sentiments that would be appropriate for a thank you card in one place. I found there were sentiments I never used, because I forgot I had them and I used the same sentiments over and over. This way I can see all the "thank you" stamps I have and choose which font or saying would be best for the card I'm working on.

It was a lot of work up front (mostly during movies with DH) but so worth it now when I want to find the perfect stamp without racking my brain.

hth,
~Romans 8:28-30 ~Habakkuk 3:17-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslfd3View Post
I also have a binder. I have mostly SU sets, but all my sets get recorded in the book. I organize the stamped pages by category (occasions, holidays, nature, sentiments, etc...with some sets stamped for more than one category) and have my sets organized alphabetically for easy location. That way I can find a set easily whether I find it in the binder or just think "hmm, I'd like to make something with the Always set. I have the stamps separated by manufacturer (so the cd cases for my PTI don't get lost among the boxes for my SU).

My mom has her binder set up like mine, but she numbered her sets. The only downside I can see is if I want to find a set without looking in the binder...that's why mine are alphabetized.

I also have an index card file of my sentiments. So I can look at all my sentiments that would be appropriate for a thank you card in one place. I found there were sentiments I never used, because I forgot I had them and I used the same sentiments over and over. This way I can see all the "thank you" stamps I have and choose which font or saying would be best for the card I'm working on.

It was a lot of work up front (mostly during movies with DH) but so worth it now when I want to find the perfect stamp without racking my brain.

hth,
I think this is what I will end up doing too. I like the index file system for sentiments and think I might try this too!! Everyone has had such awesome ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

My method is almost like Craft Guru. I make copies of the page out of the cat and then cut it out and make another copy of that so it will be on a normal size paper. It works good for me. I just have so many sets I need to get to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

sorry i don't have a photo. but i have over 600 SU sets. i stamp each set on a large index card. about 5x8

i title each card
under the title i put how many pc in the set w/ the year
in the bottom right hand corner i place the # .
on the box/container i also number.in the right hand side.
the reason i like using the cards is twofold.
1. several people can be looking for the stamp of their choice
2. when they "pull" the set-they place the card there. this reminds them just where to return it.
my sets are only separated by container size. then kept in number order
i've used this method for more then 5 years-and love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I also have my sentiments organized by category. All the thank you on a page, Baby, Get Well ect ect. I started my binder after I had some of my sets mounted, but I was able to photocopy them anyway. The copy was dark around the sets but I just cut all the dark away & used that copy to make another copy for my book. I think a scanner works better once they are mounted, but I love the idea of taking a picture, just don't have a digital camera. All my single stamps or $1 stamps I just stamped on a page, by category & you can copy if I want once the page is full or for Laurie & me if you goof on one just stamp again on scrap, cut & glue over the 1'st image, you will never know when you make a copy. I like to copy as it sure does save on the ink.
Also, when I make the copy I make 2 copies right away, one for the book & one to cut down & put in the box of stamps. That way if you take one out or someone borrows one stamp you know what should be in the box @ a glance.
I love the idea of an index card box but I can foresee having to pick those darn cards up off the floor from time to time knowing me & granddaughter who likes to help grandma stamp. She is 2 so you know how she helps. I also take my binder to any stamp parties so I know what I have when placing an order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Rubber Stamp Storage

I have spent this past year taking my rubber stamps off their wood. I plan to store them in CD cases. I have stamped the images onto 3 x 5" Rolodex cards. I took one of those hideous tan, metal, ugly Rolodexes and used alcohol inks to recolor them and it turned out beautiful!! I have attempted to attach a photo.

Caity Sue Treadwell
West Sacramento, CA
Attached Thumbnails
SU stamp set organizer/notebook-dscn0006.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaityView Post
I have spent this past year taking my rubber stamps off their wood. I plan to store them in CD cases. I have stamped the images onto 3 x 5" Rolodex cards. I took one of those hideous tan, metal, ugly Rolodexes and used alcohol inks to recolor them and it turned out beautiful!! I have attempted to attach a photo.

Caity Sue Treadwell
West Sacramento, CA

Wow, that turned out super cute!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks ladies for all these great ideas. This is on my crafting resolutions list this year. I really need to get this done. I am constantly buying new sets because I have an idea and can never look through all my sets to see if there is something I already have that would be a great fit, maybe this will help.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

bmp

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Mine are not numbered, I store them alphabetically. I started out stamping an index of each set/individual stamp on plain copy paper, but I found it was too hard to add to a section that way. I had them organized by theme (birthday, love, masculine, kids, etc. and sentiments also organized in one section by theme). So, recently I downloaded the index card for each SU set, or found a photo of other stamps/sets and put them into a Word document. Again, I grouped them by theme, and I put them into page protectors. The name is typed into the document, so I can find the stamp easily (since they are stored alphabetically).
If I couldn't find a photo then I just stamped that particular stamp (I left room for it in the Word document, using the ruler that is on the document screen to know how many lines to leave blank). For sentiments, I actually stamped them all because I usually want to know the actual size. Sometimes I have the same stamp/set in more than one section.
It took a LOT of time, but it is very handy now! I love flipping through it for inspiration.
This is similar to thescrapmaster above, but I have more than one on a page because my binder is already HUGE even doing that. I can still easily add pages in the proper section as I get more stamps, because they are organized by theme, not alphabetically--so it just has to be on the next sheet. I have attached one of my Word documents so you can see what I mean--this one is for "bugs." This is one of the smaller sections, but you can see some spaces where I don't have photos. I would print that out and put each page into a page protector. If there is room on the last page and I get a new stamp, I add it to the Word document but I just hand stamp it onto the existing printout. You could reprint that one page.
Then, I put tabs between the sections so I can find them more easily.
I also have an Excel file, but I found that I am not by my computer when I am stamping, so I never really use it to find a stamp set...plus, I think the visuals help, and I can get a better idea of the size. Many times I am looking for something to fit a sketch or a sentiment that will fit on a tab, etc. etc., so I need the actual size.
HTH!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Stamps bugs.doc (517.0 KB, 225 views)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I started a stamp book. I have my stamps organized by themes in CD cases. Most of my wooden stamps are unmounted and I have a lot of clear stamps, so organizing by theme was easier for me. My dd has also helped stamp the images.

I wrote the theme on the top of cardstock and then stamp the images. I also printed labels fro the CD cases that go with the theme. It helps my kids to choose a theme rather that by set name. It;s also easier when I buy the $ stamps at Michaels or Joanns. I do have a few SU stamps that I've kept as a set. I used my RubiCoil to make my book. I put a bunch of blank pages in the back.
Reply With Quote Likes