Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETSY - how do you mail your cards?

I was thinking of dabbling in the world of ETSY for some of my cards. No - my cards aren't fantastic, but there's a market for everything, is there not? *giggles* My question is - how do you mail cards to people that purchase them without destroying all the pretty embellies and bows on them....and not jacking up the shipping? I can't imagine paying the same if not more for shipping on anything. I put a lot of stuff on my cards, that's my style...I reckon I could bubble wrap and something...not sure what the easiest, cheapest way to ship these would be. TIA for your input.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I sell my cards and the best way I package them is using tissue paper. First I get a box that will be a perfect fit. So if I have 40 cards I am mailing out then I buy a box from the post office that is approved for shipping(usually corrugated and good quality). I buy it just big enough to fit 40 cards with only a smally amount of room. I then take tissue paper because it weighs next to nothing and wrap the delicate cards. Between the layers of cards I also put tissue paper. It gives it that hold but cushions it and won't wreck the cards. The best advice I can give is to pack tightly but cushiony. I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenatasawhView Post
I sell my cards and the best way I package them is using tissue paper. First I get a box that will be a perfect fit. So if I have 40 cards I am mailing out then I buy a box from the post office that is approved for shipping(usually corrugated and good quality). I buy it just big enough to fit 40 cards with only a smally amount of room. I then take tissue paper because it weighs next to nothing and wrap the delicate cards. Between the layers of cards I also put tissue paper. It gives it that hold but cushions it and won't wreck the cards. The best advice I can give is to pack tightly but cushiony. I hope that helps.

Mine will probably be one at a time though.....so I need the easiest way to ship ONE card with lots of *stuff* on it so that it gets to the buyer in the best possible condition...and affordably - KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I simply put them in a ziploc and mail them in a regular envelope; but mine do not have any heavy embellishments like metal charms, etc. At the max they would have brads/eyelets/ribbons/pop-dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I sell cards, I place them in a ziploc baggie and a padded envelope with a sheet of cardboard inside too so they wouldn't get bent. Never had any complaints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
When I sell cards, I place them in a ziploc baggie and a padded envelope with a sheet of cardboard inside too so they wouldn't get bent. Never had any complaints.
I do it the same way except that I use the adhesive lipped card sleeves instead of a baggie.

And IME, people will buy more than one card at a time. I find that people tend to buy a couple in order to minimize shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I do is, put it in clear envelope, with the regular envelope and usually Dollar Tree sells smaller bubble wrap envelopes, they come 2 in package for $1. So I mail it like that. I haven't had any problems so far. And of course I put DO NOT BEND on the envelope.
As well for the price, I put one price which includes shipping.
good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I do the same with one card. I put it in a bubble envelope which I get at my local post office and put it between 2 pieces of cardboard. That way it won't bend or indent with because of the emblishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Inbetween cardboard.....and bubble mailer....OK...so I need to figure that into my cost then.... This totally helps -thanks all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilinacrouseView Post
As well for the price, I put one price which includes shipping.
good luck!
This may be trivial, but I don't do "shipping included" listings. I find that they don't really increase my sales, but they DO DEcrease my profits. Etsy (or FeeBay) charges their fee based on the sale, but not the shipping you charge after the sale. So you're paying more in fees than you would if you charged a separate item cost and shipping cost.

I'm not out to make a profit on my shipping--I weigh my items with packaging, and then I have an accurate charge to add when I make my listings. Etsy is great with having a "shipped with another item" box, so that you can easily add smaller shipping charges for customers who buy multiple items from you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
This may be trivial, but I don't do "shipping included" listings. I find that they don't really increase my sales, but they DO DEcrease my profits. Etsy (or FeeBay) charges their fee based on the sale, but not the shipping you charge after the sale. So you're paying more in fees than you would if you charged a separate item cost and shipping cost.

I'm not out to make a profit on my shipping--I weigh my items with packaging, and then I have an accurate charge to add when I make my listings. Etsy is great with having a "shipped with another item" box, so that you can easily add smaller shipping charges for customers who buy multiple items from you.
Oooo - good info there....thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mearsfansinboiseView Post
Oooo - good info there....thanks!
Just took a peek at your blog--your photography is great. Love the card propped up on the flower frog! That will make you stand out at Etsy, just make sure you plan ahead and crop at least your first image so that it looks great square.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
Just took a peek at your blog--your photography is great. Love the card propped up on the flower frog! That will make you stand out at Etsy, just make sure you plan ahead and crop at least your first image so that it looks great square.
So my image should be more square than a vertical rectangle....? Got it. And where do I get cardboard - is it cheap?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I looked at your blog too. Your cards are beautiful. I have no shipping advise but I wish you the best of luck. I think your cards will sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mearsfansinboiseView Post
So my image should be more square than a vertical rectangle....? Got it. And where do I get cardboard - is it cheap?
Your main listing image is always cropped square, so it's better if you do it than the 'bots. In your listing, browsers can click on any of your thumbnails to get the full image.

I always just recycle cardboard from cereal, pasta, granola bar, etc. boxes. Nobody has complained yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I put each card/envelope in a clear envelope with a piece of chipboard cut to size and slipped in also. I then put it in a 6 x 9 manila envelope (not bubble) and send it off. FYI, I charge $1.00 for the first card and .75 for each additional. I have never had a single complaint about damage to cards! Good luck in your venture!

ETA: I should say that after looking at your cards, I don't have quite as many "lumpy" embellies so you so you may have to pad them a little better...your cards are darling, btw!
Reply With Quote Likes