Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #3481  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Here's a tip I shared on another forum about breaking leads. When a lead in one of my pencils breaks, I add a dot of Crazy Glue/Gorilla Glue, and glue it back in place. That holds it really well, and I'm able to use it as usual. When I get to the part that is glued, I just sharpen it away. I can't tell you how many pencils I've saved this way!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DaisyNY (08-20-2021)
Old 01-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #3482  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wax bloom when using wax based color pencils. It gives a milky white look and prohibits more color being applied. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #3483  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh sorry, I should have clarified...I know what a wax bloom means...I'm talking about the brush that they use for it. Don't know what brush they're talking about or how it's used to get rid of wax bloom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 04:41 AM   #3484  
Stampin' Fool

Well I finally got an answer from one of the gals on Youtube who colors with Prismas...she uses this https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Electric-Eraser-Refills-Brush/dp/B017VT0CJQ

just an fyi in case someone was wondering!

Last edited by dini; 02-03-2017 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: shortened link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #3485  
Rubber Obsessor

I hope this question is in the correct area. I'm wondering does anyone one have both Prismacolor colored pencils and Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils. I have a set of 132 Prisma's and I have had problems blending with them. I also feel that the colored image just looks line-ie if that makes sense. Maybe to say where I just colored isn't blended as I color. I was hoping someone has both sets and would like to hear there opinion comparing the difference between the two companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #3486  
Stampin' Fool

I'm no artist or an accomplished color er, but I do have both sets and have been researching to find out why I'm not getting good blending. I came across this Youtube video this morning and found it to be very, very informative! Maybe it will help you too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 06:11 AM   #3487  
Rubber Obsessor

Kathy Thanks for the you tube. It was very interesting. I'm so happy you have both sets because you are the perfect person to ask my questions. Are each set a completely different kind of pencil. I mean does one over the other color different? One would think 132 set of pencils would have every color you'd need. Do you feel both sets pencils are the same colors and shades? I have a terrible problem with Prism's when it comes to brown shades. I've tried to color a stamped images of a yellow lab and Prism just lacks a color for that. It's like yes I have 132 but the set leaves out the color between groups of colors. Does that make sense? That is why I was considering buying the big set of Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils this Spring. Can I ask you why you made the decision to own both sets? Do you regret owning both sets? Do you feel you like one over the other because it colors better. That may also help me decide if it would be to my advantage to buy the other set. Thanks again for the video. Sorry for so many questions. Linda

Last edited by gomatt17; 02-05-2017 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: wrote wrong word so charges 1 word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #3488  
Stampin' Fool

Hi Linda,I'm sorry if I mislead you...I have the 150 Prismas but only a set of 36 of the Polychromos!
So I have no idea if their colors are similar in color group choices. I can say they feel about the same when coloring and they do play well together so you can use them interchangeably.
I found no exact matches with any of the colors of the ones I had between Prismas and Polychromos.
Originally I had the set of 72 Prismas and was very disappointed in how much they broke when being sharpened so I went in search of a pencil with a harder lead...hence my choosing the Polychromos. But after using them I discovered I liked the slightly more vibrant color of the Prismas and ultimately I decided to order the larger set of Prismas so I could have more colors and then also have duplicates of colors I liked.

Now I do want to say that while I said the Prismas were slightly more vibrant, my second reason for choosing them is, to me, just my opinion, the Prismas had more of a tertiary or secondary color quality to them. I could be all wet, but the Polychromos seemed more clear colored than the Prismas and I like tertiary and secondary colors better...
Okay, hope I have not made matters worse for you!

PS - I don't regret getting either set. I was glad to come to my own conclusions on what I liked and disliked. Also when pressed hard both pencils have a bloom to them, sometimes to the point that I can't see the difference in them (wax or oil)

PPS - And one more thing...have you looked at the Prisma sets to compare what colors you are missing? Just to see if what you need might be available open stock?

Last edited by klh54; 02-05-2017 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: incomplete
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #3489  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the info Kathy, You sorta lost me when you wrote more clear colored. What do you mean by that. I have the 132 set of Prismas and the only colors I'm missing are the new colors which are the neon ones which isn't what I fell I'd like. I use the Prisma sharpening ( the black round one) but I also have had problems with lead break on a couple of my pencils. I replace it after 18 months so it's very sharp. I remember reading that if you drop pencils that breaks the lead inside. Well the problem with two pencils was from the start and I am very careful not to drop them. My card room has carpet. Could you please explain What you mean Prismas are more tertiary and secondary? Sorry for being stupid. Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #3490  
Stampin' Fool

Oh man! So sorry I confused you, Linda!! By clear colors, I mean primary or true colors...red, yellow and blue. Okay, I'm including a link that explains tertiary and secondary colors. I like Prismas because they seem to have these readily available instead of having to mix the primary colors to get them and they seem to be brighter than the Polychromos, that's just my opinion! Color Relationships: Primary, Secondary, Tertiary Hues - Sensational Color
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #3491  
Stampin' Fool

Being an amateur I guess I'm not the best person to ask...maybe someone who knows way more than me can chime in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #3492  
Rubber Obsessor

Kathy, Thanks for replying to my question and trying to help me. I guess what I was sorta looking for was someone that had both Prismacolor colored pencils and Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils. Yes there are a few things like Primas lead breaking on a few pencils and not blending as well as I'd like that I don't like. Maybe that problem is just me due to my inexperience. That is why I was thinking of buying the 120 set of Faber-Castell's because even with 132 Primas I just felt I was missing the in between colors. I was hoping someone maybe had both of those sets and would be able to tell me if they like both sets, do they find the colors between the sets just to be duplicates between the two sets, do the two sets work good together, does one set blend better than the other.
Thanks for all your help Kathy and the interesting video. Linda
P.S. Do you think because of where I posted my question it just got over looked. Would it be better posting it in general area?

Last edited by gomatt17; 02-06-2017 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Added to message
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #3493  
Stampin' Fool

I'd maybe create a new thread to ask the question in the Tool and Product forum...you did post in the right place, but there are so many pages to it that it's not like a sticky thread anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #3494  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I have both sets. I tend to not use them together, but you can - I just have mine stored in separate cases by brand, so it's not convenient to have alllllllll of them all at once.

If you could share a photo of the problem you're having with the not blending, that might help me figure out what's going on.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #3495  
Rubber Obsessor

Default reply to Dina

Hi Dina, I've tried to attach pictures before and haven't been able to but I will try again. As you can see everything just looks solid and the problem I have with Primas as you see is the yellow dog looks orange-ish not the true color. Since you have both sets do you find that one set is easier to work with? Do you find that you just have the same colors in each set?

As you can see everything just looks flat.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #3496  
Rubber Obsessor

opps one more thing Dina is I was hoping if I bought the 120 set of Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils there colors would be a tad different shade which would give be better browns and maybe this company would shade better. I have tried mineral spirits however I felt it just washed my colors out. As you can see from this card the coloring is terrible and this is why I think I have only posted 2 or maybe 3 cards.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #3497  

I wonder if this tutorial might be helpful to you - and I'm also working on another one for the beginning of March...

Shading with Pencils Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

To get more depth in your coloring, you might try adding layers of color - the tutorial explains where to position shading and highlights. (This is one of the first videos I ever made - LOL!) It helps me, too, to use a photo reference to see where darker and lighter areas might be. I don't think that changing brands will make a big difference, unless you're really unhappy with a particular issue with the Prismas (breakage or streaking are common complaints). You can actually create those in-between colors you feel like you're missing by layering and blending, too.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #3498  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Dina for the link to the tutorial on shading. I am so glad I posted for help. Kathy's video did show me things I do wrong which that will help and your tutorial helped explain shading. Maybe given time I maybe will get this and better. Given all this new info I will work on shading my two lab dogs better. One problem is there really isn't a yellow lab Prisma pencil. I send our grand-puppies Birthday Cards and Clovers has to be better more real that the card I posted. We have a yellow and a chocolate lab grand-puppies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #3499  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I was told the secret to not breaking the lead on colored pencils is to buy a proper pencil sharpener. I went to an artist supply store where they carry everything you could want for art. It is as recommended that I purchase a staedler granite sharpener.

It is made for colored pencils......just like we don't use our kids sharpeners for our lip liners etc. we have a different kind of sharpener for that soft stuff. Anyway I swear by it. Just before Christmas while I was in Michael's I noticed in their fine art dept. they are carrying this so I purchased one for my grandson. I have also read that the proper way to sharpen a colored pencil was to turn the sharpener not the pencil...which I find awkward so I just sharpen in the usual way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #3500  
Mad Swapper

Eureka! After about a ten year search, I finally found the wooden color pencil box that I've yearned for. It is truly amazing the description that has been bestowed upon it: pastel case. Who knew, right.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #3501  
Mad Swapper

Through happenstance, I believe I finally found a pencil sharpener that is the final ticket to color pencil 'lead' breakage:

Acurit Dial-a-Point Pencil Sharpener - Acurit Dial-A-Point Pencil Sharpener - Pencil Sharpeners - Drawing - Jerry's Artarama

Although I had to cancel my order so I could add this on to my original order with Jerry's (see previous post), I believe it will be well worth it as Kayla gave me an additional 25 percent off my entire order! How cool is that?!!! Happy birthday to me! Not only do I get to house my color pencils, but I'll get to sharpen them off-the-assembly-line style! Woohoo! ����������������
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #3502  

Hmm. It looks identical to the one I use (which I love!). Using the shortest setting really cuts down on the breakage.

https://www.amazon.com/Kutsuwa-Adjus.../dp/B006CQW2LQ
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #3503  
Mad Swapper

Imagine that! Only mine is a couple of dollars less.:cool:

Last edited by TheAfricanQueen; 02-21-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #3504  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueenView Post
Imagine that! Only mine is a couple of dollars less.:cool:
except for shipping!
Thanks to both of you for the recommendation, as I've been wondering which one to get!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #3505  
Matboard Maniac

Default Prismacolor breakage

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomatt17View Post
Kathy, Thanks for replying to my question and trying to help me. I guess what I was sorta looking for was someone that had both Prismacolor colored pencils and Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils. Yes there are a few things like Primas lead breaking on a few pencils and not blending as well as I'd like that I don't like. Maybe that problem is just me due to my inexperience. That is why I was thinking of buying the 120 set of Faber-Castell's because even with 132 Primas I just felt I was missing the in between colors. I was hoping someone maybe had both of those sets and would be able to tell me if they like both sets, do they find the colors between the sets just to be duplicates between the two sets, do the two sets work good together, does one set blend better than the other.
Thanks for all your help Kathy and the interesting video. Linda
P.S. Do you think because of where I posted my question it just got over looked. Would it be better posting it in general area?
I recently read a suggestion about putting prismacolor pencils in the microwave for just a few seconds-like 5-8, or setting them in a sunny window to "re-melt" their leads. That has actually worked for me. I had previously been frustrated with sharpening a new pencil completely away due to the lead dropping out. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dini; 03-16-2017 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: fixed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #3506  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

When my leads break, I put a drop of super glue on it and glue it back in. When I get to the spot where I glued it, I just sharpen it normally, and it sharpens away. It works for me every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #3507  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomatt17View Post
Kathy Thanks for the you tube. It was very interesting. I'm so happy you have both sets because you are the perfect person to ask my questions. Are each set a completely different kind of pencil. I mean does one over the other color different? One would think 132 set of pencils would have every color you'd need. Do you feel both sets pencils are the same colors and shades? I have a terrible problem with Prism's when it comes to brown shades. I've tried to color a stamped images of a yellow lab and Prism just lacks a color for that. It's like yes I have 132 but the set leaves out the color between groups of colors. Does that make sense? That is why I was considering buying the big set of Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils this Spring. Can I ask you why you made the decision to own both sets? Do you regret owning both sets? Do you feel you like one over the other because it colors better. That may also help me decide if it would be to my advantage to buy the other set. Thanks again for the video. Sorry for so many questions. Linda
Hi Linda, did you ever get a definitive answer to your question? I have both Prismas and Polychromos (among other brands), and while they both are great sets of pencils, I'm with Dini, I don't use them together either - layering on each other. I have mineral spirits to use as a blending agent, but have found, the more coloring I do with pencils, the more I prefer to just shade with the pencils. I've watched Dini's videos among others on YouTube, and what has worked for me is starting with a lighter touch, then adding my shadows and layers, building dimension.

My outlook on the world has dramatically changed because of how I look at everything. Where do shadows fall, what colors are in those leaves, what about the weave in that basket, notice how that shadow falls on the edge of that vase...... Your awareness is heightened and you start using that when you color, rather than just a one dimensional color. I've been doing a lot of coloring in a detailed coloring book, rather than my card making, and I've noticed a big improvement in my pencil shading.

I do have fun with it though, and it is stress free, because that was the whole point of it in the first place. I try out color combos with my color wheel, use only shades of one color, etc., because it's my place to experiment! And, since I'm not wild about doing a whole background in pencils, I've been playing with chalk pastels, stencils - using parts of them with mediums, watered down Viva Decor, Gelatos, etc., sponged or applied with whatever you want; you get the idea. They are quite interesting, and I don't have to do all the coloring that I'm not crazy about!

Okay, I'm getting off of pencils, my original point was, I prefer the oil based pencils, yet still use wax based, I just don't mix them on the same object. For me, and my technique, the oil based keeps a point better, blends easier, doesn't have the wax bloom, and erases easier for a highlight. Again, pencils are a personal preference, and there is no right answer, it's all in the way you color and what you like best. I would suggest trying one or two in a couple of lines and see which one you prefer. Best of luck in your search, and have fun!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #3508  
Rubber Obsessor

My daughter has the set of 120 Prismacolor and would like additional colors. Does the 150 set include all the 120 set colors? Is there a set I could get that would add the missing colors? TIA

Last edited by Pamala; 12-13-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #3509  
Insane Embellisher

You will probably have to buy the extra ones singly I would think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #3510  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Thank you Jan. I will head to Dick Blicks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #3511  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 450 Likes on 304 Posts

Does anyone know WHAT is going on with the price on Prismacolor Pencils on Amazon? Just the box of 150, is almost 200 bucks now...I've never seen it over 100...I was rather shocked! I do see sets of the 150 pencils and a sharpener or something like that for less than 100 so far...but why is the set of pencils only so high? If they all go up like that I guess that will answer the question of if I should get them or the polychromos cause the polychromos are what I think I WANT...but with the price so much more I was going to do the prismacolor ones least for now (once I could afford them that is). No way can I afford them at almost 200 bucks. Guess my cheap pencil's will have to work for a while longer. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 02:38 AM   #3512  

They were deeply discounted over the holidays so I'd guess they're compensating for now? It may just be an algorithm glitch, since their prices fluctuate frequently based on popularity and a lot of people got them for Christmas.

If you're wanting the big set, it's $73 on Blick right now, or you can get the set of 132 for $53.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 04:43 AM   #3513  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 450 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks Dina...I can't get them right now, but was kinda hoping to for my birthday this year...if possible. Was no way that was going to happen at this price though! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #3514  
Glitter Guru

Received 856 Likes on 512 Posts
Smile

Loving my prismacolor pencils again, but also finding that I am loving my cheaper brands too. Played with some Sargeant ones today that I bought cheap recently, along with some I had never heard of, and enjoyed it so much... It is so funny too though, how different paper makes some pencils look like totally different colors! Fun to use different brands together too. I broke one of my leads tonight on a coloring pencil and forgot all about that great tip of using super glue to glue it back on... Maybe I'll remember next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #3515  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Dina years ago I had printed off your file that had all of the Prisma colors in ROYGBIV order with a space next to it to color in. At the time I printed it on copy paper. I went to look for it recently to reprint it on cardstock that I use for coloring but couldn't find it. Do you still have it posted somewhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #3516  
Insane Embellisher

Auntangie, if it is of any use to you I have blank Prismacolour charts in both Alphabetical and Numerical order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2018, 02:41 AM   #3517  

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntangieView Post
Dina years ago I had printed off your file that had all of the Prisma colors in ROYGBIV order with a space next to it to color in. At the time I printed it on copy paper. I went to look for it recently to reprint it on cardstock that I use for coloring but couldn't find it. Do you still have it posted somewhere?

It's here! Have fun! I need to print a new one myself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwY...ew?usp=sharing
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 AM   #3518  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you, Dini. Truly appreciate having the chart. I'm a little slow this morning. What does the LF in, for example, color chart number LF122 mean? There is a PC122 (for Prisma Color, I presume) but my brain won't tell me what "LF122" is. I do get that it's permanent red. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2018, 04:46 AM   #3519  

That's my full chart of all pencils ever released - the LF code was for a lightfast line they produced several years ago then discontinued - most of the colors were re-released as regular PC-code pencils later.

If you'd rather have a chart with just the current colors, I have just updated that this morning for a class I am teaching - that's here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18YQ...ew?usp=sharing
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #3520  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you, Dini. I should have figured that out. The charts you already uploaded are terrific. In fact, I probably have several light-fast pencils as some of mine are old (like me!). Thanks again for your kindness in sharing the chart and answering my question.
Reply With Quote Likes