Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #2441  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brandy, just wanted to let you know I checked your blog, and your coloring is awesome! I agree w/Dini, don't sell yourself short!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #2442  
Mad Swapper

The main couple of things are to not use a sharp pencil and create a bit of a flat colouring surface with it. Instead of outlining (as you might have done as a kid) you colour small circles with the flat surface around the eges, then really, really, really lightly, add a bit of colour inside that 'border'. Then take the stump and OMS or gamsol and work the darker colour with small circles to blend. You can work with all the dark colour first if you want, or as you do sections, start working into the lighter colour. As you work through the really light part, your pressure decreases, meanwhile you're dragging/spreading/blending the colour.

I'm sure others do it many different ways and I'm definitely not suggesting this is 'the' way but it works for me and I love the results. I wasn't creating any kind of gradient effect prior to class. I was blending or smoothing out the colour but not the effect I'm getting now. hth

Quote:

Originally Posted by danacView Post
Charlene, what did you learn to do differently? I know that might be a hard question to answer but I've only learned by trial and error, so if there is something you could share, I would love to hear
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #2443  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjcape521View Post
Brandy, just wanted to let you know I checked your blog, and your coloring is awesome! I agree w/Dini, don't sell yourself short!
Thank you so much! I hope to add to the blog, it was supposed to keep the mojo flowing but hasn't worked lately

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #2444  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree Brandy, your projects on your blog are amazing!
Thanks so much Charlene for sharing those tips. I've just started an "art journal" and basically I am just using it to try new techniques and to practice drawing. Most of the pages have been gessoed so I have been trying more burnishing and layering as opposed to oms. What a whole new learning curve!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #2445  
Inking Addict

Aren't you sweet Dana! Thank you so much!

I've tried that burnishing thing and can't get it to work so I gave up on it, for now. I'll try it again I'm sure.

What a great tip Charlene! I am going to have to try that. That is certainly not what I was doing that's for sure!

My order from dickblick should be here tomorrow. I can't wait. I need more colors. Specifically espresso!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #2446  
Mad Swapper

PrincessBaach and Danac:

Glad you found the info helpful. Would love to see pics of your stuff if you try out this technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #2447  
Inking Addict

you bet! My order from dick blick delivered today so I hope to get to try it out soon!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #2448  
Rubber Obsessor

I am so confused!

Colored Pencil Tools and Techniques for the Wax and Oil Based Colored Pencil :Art Instruction For Beginners – Art Instruction Blog

In this article, the writer shows a picture of what does look like Prisma Blending Pens. If you go to the link, Cheap Joe's, they call it a "marker" and to me that indicates it is used with Prisma markers. On page 61 of this thread, these remarks are posted:

...Do you know what kind of blending marker that was? I liked her tip about keeping three to use on light, medium and dark colors. She also mentioned you could refill it, I guess she means with the 90% stuff (I am not sure what denatured alcohol is)?

...Are some of our blender pens the same, like the Dove blender, where you could refill it with alcohol? I would be more inclined to buy some if they were refillable, I have never purchased a blender pen before.

Response...It looks like it is a Prismacolor clear blender. See a close up at Cheap Joes...

I am not loving stumps for blending Prismacolor pencils. Can't locate a replacement for a blending pen by "National" I was using, (not really sure if I want another, $4 and it lasted no time at all) so if this is a blending pen for Prismacolor PENCILS for $1.99 at Cheap Joe's I want to order some...it it's actually for markers, then no. Can anyone clear this issue up for me? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #2449  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

They are alcohol based markers sold along with their other markers, but they will work to blend pencil as well because the alcohol acts as a solvent. The blender markers actually remove marker coloring rather than combining colors, so the technique with markers is a little different, and the title is a bit confusing. There is some debate as to how 'good' the wax pencil residue is for the marker tips... (that was from the Copic people), but they do work for pencil blending. I have used a Copic blender for markers and pencil and I don't see a problem.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #2450  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much Dina! Good-by stumps! Waahooo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #2451  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm new to using Prismacolor pencils and gamsol and I'm still having trouble getting it to blend well...but sometimes it works out really well so I'm not sure why I get better results some days and not others. I've tried gamsol, baby oil and some "odour free" (which isn't) solvent and the gamsol seems to work the best. The paper I'm using is Neema which is what the scrapbook store here sells for Prismacolor.
To check out my cards feel free to go to my blog:
Crafty Violet's Chaos

be warned - I'm a multi crafter so not just cards will show - but mostly cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #2452  
Embossing Fanatic

[QUOTE=I'm not sure why I get better results some days and not others. [/QUOTE]

Hi. I'm no expert, but I've been playing around with Prismas and OMS for a while and love them. There's been much talk about the blendability of the newer Prismas which are now being produced in Mexico.. as opposed to the US ones. I've found that some pencils do blend better than others. There are many more experienced pencil artists on this thread and I know you'll be hearing from them.

Fun coloring......!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 AM   #2453  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Heart Derwent Inktense pencils rock!

I have been having a play with my newly acquired set of Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils - and oh - they are just awesome IMHO! They are very different to my Faber Castell watercolour pencils and it has taken a bit of getting used to the vibrancy when I add water in comparison to my other pencils. I will need to do a chart for them though (ie: wet v. dry) as the Inktense pencils look so different once water is added. Here is a card I just uploaded tonight and I have added a close-up pic of the wooden pole as an attachment below. The wood really came to life once I wet the colours. Next I will experiment with adding OMS (my understanding is that you can use OMS with them) and see what happens - will be interesting to see how vibrant they are with OMS. {happy sigh} - it's so fun to play with pencils
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-100_9163.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #2454  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

WOW! Great card card Jo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #2455  
Pearl-ExPert

hi everyone!

i was just reading through and getting caught up! like others have said - it takes practice! last i posted i had just gotten the rest of my polycolors before heading off on vacation. the cruise was awesome! best time ever with my family. the getting caught up part after was not so fun. not only getting caught up but i got really sick when i came home AND found out i have skin cancer so will be going into surgery for that tomorrow to remove the area. luckily if you have to get cancer, skin cancer is the best kind to get and if you have to get skin cancer the kind i have is the best kind to get :P

BUT i have been coloring with the polycolors and boy oh boy do i love them! the colors are just so vibrant and the color goes on so smooth and blendy! i am still using PTI paper. here are some things i have done recently - more info is on my blog if you want to check it out:

scacdcusm.jpg

new release from SCACD

scacdmicsm.jpg

for the Make It Crafty celebration - you can find some prize opportunities on my blog from MiC too

TTCRDsm.jpg

this was for the last Through the Craft Room Door mag challenge - the full project is in the current issue. the challenge right now is fairytale themed

scacdcu2sm.jpg

another SCACD release

on the Make it Crafty I tried PTI's rustic cardstock and i didn't like it - i couldn't get enough layers to get the depth of color i wanted.

can't figure out why the pics are so big - sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #2456  
Pearl-ExPert

oh and i forgot to mention a prisma focused challenge i hope you all checkout. it's actually POM - Prismas and other mediums so my [project this week does not have colored pencils but next week it will.

POM Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #2457  
Pearl-ExPert

jo your card is wonderful - inktense are next on my list to add to my pencil arsenal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #2458  
Compulsive Stamper

Default anniversary card

This is an anniversary card I made using a Stampin' Bella stamp that I coloured in with my Prismacolour pencils and gamsol. It's getting there but I feel I need to practice more to get a nice blend.

Violet

Crafty Violet's Chaos
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-bella-35-years.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #2459  
Pearl-ExPert

violet i think it is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #2460  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I have been having a play with my newly acquired set of Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils - and oh - they are just awesome IMHO! They are very different to my Faber Castell watercolour pencils and it has taken a bit of getting used to the vibrancy when I add water in comparison to my other pencils. I will need to do a chart for them though (ie: wet v. dry) as the Inktense pencils look so different once water is added. Here is a card I just uploaded tonight and I have added a close-up pic of the wooden pole as an attachment below. The wood really came to life once I wet the colours. Next I will experiment with adding OMS (my understanding is that you can use OMS with them) and see what happens - will be interesting to see how vibrant they are with OMS. {happy sigh} - it's so fun to play with pencils
I'm glad you like them Jo! They're my favorites. They do color beautifully with OMS. They're brighter than regular pencils done that way, but the true beauty requires water. I have wet and dry charts. It's super handy to know which blending medium is going to give me the color I want.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #2461  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
jo your card is wonderful - inktense are next on my list to add to my pencil arsenal!
Thanks so much for your compliment. And thanks Auntangie too.

The Inktense pencils do take a bit of getting used to being so "vibrant" in comparison to my regular Faber Castell watercolor pencils. When you look at the pencil lead, the color that it becomes when it is wet is alot different to what you expect. With my Faber Castells, what you see in the lead is what you get which makes it easier to match up colours to dp's or cardstock. I am finding that I need to scribble on a scrap of watercolor paper and wet it to see if that is the color I really want - which is why I need to do a wet and dry color chart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #2462  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali

I use with the stump baby oil. I am alergic to the gamsol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #2463  
Insane Embellisher

JCI~~~I have grandchildren for most of the summer, so can't get to coloring, forums, or cards, EEEEEK! August 1st should be better! BTW, the Prisma challenge is great over at Outlawz, the one Marti is referring to~~Also, Hambo stamps has one on Wednesdays that is outstanding! I have entered both of them several times.
JoBear and Violet, your cards are beautiful! Marti, awesome coloring as usual! When I get time, I am going to try the pencils on a dark image, that is what is next in class for me I think! Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer. I am headed to Nashville for a week to celebrate my 3 yr. old's b'day, but there is a Jerry's Artarama right up the street, YEAH! You know I will be visiting! I might pick up a few of the Inktense, I tried them before and did not like them, but I think I'm a bit more confident now after taking Marti's classes~~we'll see! Have a great week everyone~~~!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #2464  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Marti I love how vibrant the color is on black!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #2465  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for the kind words. Here's another card that turned out ok. I sent it to my daughter for her birthday.

Violet

www.craftyviolet.blogspot.com
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-happy-birthday-you.jpg  

Last edited by craftnut; 07-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: forgot to sign
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #2466  
Stampin' Fool

For those of you that use derwent do you prefer the inktense pencils or the derwent water colors?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #2467  

They work differently, so it's a little hard to compare. I'll say this - I use mine together but usually go for the watercolor pencils first and then grab the Inktense to add deeper shading.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #2468  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftnutView Post
Thanks for the kind words. Here's another card that turned out ok. I sent it to my daughter for her birthday.

Violet

Crafty Violet's Chaos
great job! super cute card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #2469  
Pearl-ExPert

my my sure is quiet around here! here are a couple cards i have done recently:

this is on my blog today and is an image from SCACD - colored with polycolor pencils

this one will be on my blog tomorrow and is a FREE digi image from anne at The Outlawz - she does awesome stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #2470  
Stampin' Fool

Wow, everybody's artwork is really looking fantastic! I can tell I need to get busy! You all look like you've been having too much fun.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #2471  
Stampin' Fool

Alright am going to order the 132 prisma premiers from dick blick. they have so much has anyone used their papers? let me know if you have had great luck with one or the other please.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #2472  

What kinds of paper are you looking at? I've only ever ordered watercolor paper from them.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #2473  
Stampin' Fool

I was considering that. There was more than one kind. I was looking for the best possibility for using gamsol on as well.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #2474  
Crimping Master

I really like Bristol for colored pencils.it is uber smooth. Strathmoore is also good..and stonehenge is the BEST IMO..but I use it for professional drawings and teaching too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #2475  
Pearl-ExPert

i don't use blending mediums so i like paper that is a bit less smooth.

i was using my coloursoft pencils today - i have not used them very often yet and today was the first time i needed to sharpen them - they were very crumbly if i got them sharp the way i like them...of course the whole reason i like them so much is the softness of the lead so it will take some getting used to. i don't have any pics - maybe i can get some tomorrow to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #2476  
Insane Embellisher

A question... I just bought a set of 60 Prismacolor (Scholar). The class I took a few weeks ago she mentioned the pencils by color name. All my pencils have numbers only. How or where do I get a lst of nameswith their numbers. TFS Linda...Fleurkid
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #2477  

The Scholar pencils are a student grade line, which might have a little harder lead and maybe lower pigment ratio. The ones she is referring to are the Premier or Soft Core pencils.

This page on the PC site might be helpful, if you can match the colors up... the scholar pencils aren't sold individually so they aren't listed by stock number.

Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencils | Coloring Pencils Designed For Aspiring Artists and Students
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #2478  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleurkidView Post
A question... I just bought a set of 60 Prismacolor (Scholar). The class I took a few weeks ago she mentioned the pencils by color name. All my pencils have numbers only. How or where do I get a lst of nameswith their numbers. TFS Linda...Fleurkid
On Dick Blick, where you can buy individual pencils, it lists all the names and numbers. Just scroll down a ways:

Prismacolor Colored Pencils - BLICK art materials

Hope that helps! It also has a scribble of each color so you can see it.
;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #2479  

It's been a little while since I pulled my pencils out! Here's my latest Prisma work in the gallery:

Splash! by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #2480  
Kookie Creator

Wow, what a beautiful card.
Reply With Quote Likes