Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My favorite - your favorite

When I sat down to think of what my favorite item is in my stamping 'arsenal', I really had to think.

I'm getting back into heat embossing because I love watching the powder melt with the ink. I feel like I'm welding, in a way. My dad was a machinist for the airlines while I was growing up and he had an arc welder he used for 'creating' some really neat farm implements. Yes, he had a rather large hobby farm (165 acres) and worked full-time for the airlines.

When I first started heat embossing was back in the mid '90s. Before I bought a heat gun, I had tried the stove element and the toaster oven. I got some amazingly browned 'results'!

Even after I bought a heat gun, I never really felt like I was very good at it. I think I was too impatient and got the gun to close to the cardstock and I wasn't very apt at moving the heat gun around.

Now, it seems I'm more patient as my cardstock doesn't buckle the way it did before.

So, suffice it to say, I think that heat embossing is my favorite part of my stamping 'arsenal'.

Do you have a favorite and is there a bit of a story behind it? I'd love to hear about it.

Roberta
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

It's hard to pick just one, but I really, really LOVE ribbon. I love all the different textures--satin, grosgrain, felt, etc....plus all the colors and patterns. I have three of those rail systems from IKEA where I store all my ribbon, and just looking up at it all makes me smile.

I really love it when I add ribbon as the final touch to a project, and I get the bow to look just perfect. I get so giddy--I can't really explain it, but I'm sure other ribbon addicts out there know what I'm talking about! ;)

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Brads and my sewing machine....gotta have both-they are my favorite!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I have also returned to heat embossing---just tonite. I cased this card: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
using the beautiful black and gold combination, then switched it up and used copper embossing powder and copper card stock on a chocolate chip base. My husband came into my studio when I was working and thought it was cool when I showed him how to emboss. I still get a kick out of it. Makes me smile every time....and for me, that's what this is all about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

My favorite is coloring - I LOVE that. It's like therapy for me . Makes me forget everything and takes me to its own world.

That said I like embossing too and like Roberta, like to see the powder melt. The first EP I bought was a transparent something and after melting it, it had a - yes transparent - look. Just that I didn't know it was transparent! So I was very disappointed with myself. Then I bought silver EP and it would stick all over the CS; but slowly and gradually I;m getting better at it

Judi, love the card that you linked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AnnieView Post
It's hard to pick just one, but I really, really LOVE ribbon. I love all the different textures--satin, grosgrain, felt, etc....plus all the colors and patterns. I have three of those rail systems from IKEA where I store all my ribbon, and just looking up at it all makes me smile.

I really love it when I add ribbon as the final touch to a project, and I get the bow to look just perfect. I get so giddy--I can't really explain it, but I'm sure other ribbon addicts out there know what I'm talking about! ;)
I can definitely understand your love for ribbon. Making a bow that looks good is a real art. And it does add that finishing touch to a card. There's a card that was done for the Mandalay Bay challenge and I just love the ribbon she chose:

21st Birthday

Although it isn't tied in a bow, the color and style of the ribbon doesn't seem to need it.

I keep my spools of ribbon on an old piece of twisty handle for a blind. It's not hung up yet as I haven't figured out that part. One of these days...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
My favorite is coloring - I LOVE that. It's like therapy for me . Makes me forget everything and takes me to its own world.

That said I like embossing too and like Roberta, like to see the powder melt. The first EP I bought was a transparent something and after melting it, it had a - yes transparent - look. Just that I didn't know it was transparent! So I was very disappointed with myself. Then I bought silver EP and it would stick all over the CS; but slowly and gradually I;m getting better at it

Judi, love the card that you linked.
I've yet to read thru my book on color pencil by Bet Borgeson. There are some marvelous pictures in her book completely done with Prismacolor pencils, like the Monopoly board and another one of a box of chocolates. And then I just saw another book that was about painting with color pencils and the woman used Prismacolor pencils to do it. She did marbles - like the ones used in shooting marbles. It looks so real, it's just fascinating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #8  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Roberta, I use my Signo pen/Inkssentials pen the most. And, not just for dots! I use it to cover up stray finger prints, blending with markers for a softer look, Blending with color pencils, blending with markers and aqua painter, and MANY more.

I taught a spur of the moment "Why I love my Signo Pen" class at my last stampin' retreat, and the ladies were just amazed! I thought it was sort of funny, since I ALWAYS use one, and have it right on my stampin' table beside my scissors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my favorite things is sponging the edges of mats and punched shapes. I think it adds so much, so easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love coloring...and I really like cutting up paper. I know I shouldn't love it so much because papercrafters are supposed to be hoarders...and I do have QUITE the collection..but I just love the feeling of cutting into a brand new sheet of paper. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AnnieView Post

I can SO relate to your giddiness -- LOL!!!

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store/Stamp Simply Clear Stamps

MY BLOG -- No Time To Stamp?

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also love all that has been mentioned, but especially love coloring and cutting out images, both of which I HATED when I first started stamping!
Prismacolor pencils changed my mind about coloring, then Copics came along, and that was the topper! I rarely, if ever, use my solid stamps now. I'd like to sell them all.
The love of cutting came with practice. When I first started card-making, all my cuts were wonky! Now I feel more confident, and my efforts are much more satisfactory.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

<--------- is a RIBBON HO!!! and yes... i get giddy about it too!

i also really dig punches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the coloring part. And I love adding lots embellishments to my projects. My favorite embellishments right now are prima flowers. Oh, and I love to add stickles to everything, especially to designer paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

For me it's the cuttlebug, hands down. I love it for dry embossing, using nesties, and cutting letters for scrapbook pages. I resisted buying a die cut machine but this one has added so much to my stamping.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
Roberta, I use my Signo pen/Inkssentials pen the most. And, not just for dots! I use it to cover up stray finger prints, blending with markers for a softer look, Blending with color pencils, blending with markers and aqua painter, and MANY more.

I taught a spur of the moment "Why I love my Signo Pen" class at my last stampin' retreat, and the ladies were just amazed! I thought it was sort of funny, since I ALWAYS use one, and have it right on my stampin' table beside my scissors!
Wow! Thanks, Markie's mom, for all the tips on the white pen! I'm sure the next time I do a card I'll be trying it out on my 'stray fingerprints' LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I just looked up Inkssentials pen on the internet, and it says that it's white opaque - is yours the same one? And where did you buy yours from?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

After reading so many of your answers, I've come to the conclusion that it is basically impossible to have an all time favorite! I, too, love cutting especially intricate details. And sponging - something so simple does add so much! And then coloring - one of the major reason I got into stamping to begin with!

Thank you so much for sharing with all of us what you love 'most'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Embossing Idea

Roberta, I discovered if you heat your image from the back, it will be smoother. Less flyaways, too!
I'm such an embossing fanatic myself so I think that would be my fave technique. Clean and crisp is what I prefer to make, but I have pushed myself to learn more with colour and pattern. The challenges out there are a superb means of growing and learning! I'm still shy about sharing, but I am getting over that hurdle
Oh, and I've been using my white ink pen for those occasional but oh, so naughty little dots that appear (ahem) when stamping. Cleans them right up and no one knows about the petit boo-boo.
I've just climbed on the Nestie bandwagon and am reveling in the joy they bring. A lot of 5 dies arrived yesterday (I'm the sweet 16 winner!!) so they are the new fave on the block for me now.

Keep stampin' - keep happy,

Heather M

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueenView Post
When I sat down to think of what my favorite item is in my stamping 'arsenal', I really had to think.

I'm getting back into heat embossing because I love watching the powder melt with the ink. I feel like I'm welding, in a way. My dad was a machinist for the airlines while I was growing up and he had an arc welder he used for 'creating' some really neat farm implements. Yes, he had a rather large hobby farm (165 acres) and worked full-time for the airlines.

When I first started heat embossing was back in the mid '90s. Before I bought a heat gun, I had tried the stove element and the toaster oven. I got some amazingly browned 'results'!

Even after I bought a heat gun, I never really felt like I was very good at it. I think I was too impatient and got the gun to close to the cardstock and I wasn't very apt at moving the heat gun around.

Now, it seems I'm more patient as my cardstock doesn't buckle the way it did before.

So, suffice it to say, I think that heat embossing is my favorite part of my stamping 'arsenal'.

Do you have a favorite and is there a bit of a story behind it? I'd love to hear about it.

Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Punches are it for me... Almost always find a way to include something punched on or inside a card... Then it's cuttlebugged stuff... And I love to do piercing when I have time... Wish I had more time...
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there! I love all things scrapbooking.All things.But I really wear out a lot of daubers from CTMH so I guess that daubing the edges of my projects ,thats probably my favourite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like to heat emboss too! I have been stamping a year now and I love every minute of it! However, first starting out, it's really hard to get all the tools at once, so I waited to buy a heat embosser or heat gun. I did use my toaster to emboss several things in the beginning and I was amazed at how well it worked! I'd get giddy when the embossing powder melted and made a color stronger! My toaster though now has some permanent EP embossed on it! hehe! Doesn't seem to effect the toast in any way at this point! Emboss resist is really one of my favorite methods to use. I learned how to do this from this wonderful site and watching the Michelle Zindorf tutorials! Whenever I attempt this method, my cards turn out so surprisingly well! The first one I did using this method, I ran downstairs to show my male household what I could do! Being males, they did at least look at my efforts, and I could tell by their expressions, even they were impressed! I was delighted! This was one of my first emboss resist cards:
September Stamping Fun Myboys3J by Jill with a G at Splitcoaststampers
It's an early effort but turned out great for a first time!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Yes please

Faith,
Would you consider doing a mini tutorial showing these techniques on your blog? I would love to see a sample of these ideas especially the "and many more" :-)
Glenda

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE ribbon and I LOVE coloring.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I am loving my cuddlebug with embossing folders. It adds so much to a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Question

Quote:

I have never heard of this pen, can you tell me where I might get one? You mentioned that you use it for blending. In what way does it aid in blending? I am sounding a little naive here, please forgive me. Thank you in advance.

Have a happy stamping day!

Trish in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Coloring for me. I like to see the images come to life. I have lots of colored images here and they are waiting to be put on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:24 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I love to color....my favorite is to use my prismas and gamsol, I like the markers but am still learning so it will frustrate me from time to time because I'm not getting the results I am looking for. I carry my pencils everywhere with me they just laugh at me at work - they call my box that I carry everything in my Malibu Barbie box!! My fave tool are my Perfect Layers I CANNOT live without them. Even have a spare that remains untouched "just in case". My fave embellishment are flowers paper, primas whatever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would have to say it is coloring for me. I love my Prisma Colored Pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatomomView Post
I love to color....my favorite is to use my prismas and gamsol, I like the markers but am still learning so it will frustrate me from time to time because I'm not getting the results I am looking for. I carry my pencils everywhere with me they just laugh at me at work - they call my box that I carry everything in my Malibu Barbie box!! My fave tool are my Perfect Layers I CANNOT live without them. Even have a spare that remains untouched "just in case". My fave embellishment are flowers paper, primas whatever!
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who carries craft stuff to work! We get great mileage, don't we?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

For those of us who love to color, you may want to check out the book by Arlene Steinberg called Masterful Color. It's basically painting using the colored pencil medium. I've another thread 'have you tried this technique' that you may want to visit. But I highly recommend that you go online and check out her book. It is FAB!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

This will sound silly, but the Tombow Mono glue thingies I'd never heard of them until I came here.

I've had a soap business for 5 years, and for that whole time I've been making my own soap box packaging and using - ick - glue sticks.

You don't know how I hate glue sticks.
You don't know how many I've gone through!

Wow - rolling glue on in little strips? I've died and gone to heaven.

Getting ready for market I whizzed through 300 soap boxes in no time at all. I'm highly entertained by something simple

Oh, and I'm an edge sponger too. I just love those little Cats Eye ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

It's embossing and glitter for me! Both of them give me a ridiculous amount of pleasure! It's embarrassing how much I love to watch the ep melt and the glitter sparkle!!

I get my Inkssentials pens here: www.creativeplaystamps.com Ranger makes them.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa LoiselleView Post
For me it's the cuttlebug, hands down. I love it for dry embossing, using nesties, and cutting letters for scrapbook pages. I resisted buying a die cut machine but this one has added so much to my stamping.
What she said.

HI LISA! (waving)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinInORView Post
This will sound silly, but the Tombow Mono glue thingies I'd never heard of them until I came here.

I've had a soap business for 5 years, and for that whole time I've been making my own soap box packaging and using - ick - glue sticks.

You don't know how I hate glue sticks.
You don't know how many I've gone through!

Wow - rolling glue on in little strips? I've died and gone to heaven.

Getting ready for market I whizzed through 300 soap boxes in no time at all. I'm highly entertained by something simple

Oh, and I'm an edge sponger too. I just love those little Cats Eye ink pads.
I can't imagine using a glue stick for that many labels! ugh! But not all mono adhesives are created equal. I recently tried one called Duck. And I went right back to Marvy. And edge sponging is so cool! I particularly like a decorative edge and sponge stamping it. More recently, I've done the sponged clouds that was debuted for a Wednesday challenge. It works rather nicely. Now I can spend my money on something other than a cloud stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

For me, its Nestabilities with the Quickutz Revolution and Stampin Up punches. I seem to use one or both on every project I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

My favorite thing is probably my Cuttlebug. I love the embossing folders and using my nesties with it. I think I use it on every card or scrapbook page that I do. Yep it's my favorite!!

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes