Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prisma color pencils

I was wondering ...
if I use the prisma color pencils with the gamsol do I need to buy special cardstock??????

I would really like to get some of those pencils and try them and I got a 50% off coupon for Michaels.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I use the white Georgia Pacific from WalMart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is good to know cause I got that here :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I also use Georgia Pacific from WalMart but SU whisper white gives amazing results. It's super smooth and the blending is amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

I use Neenah White 80lb. and I love it!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I use SU whisper white and love the results! The paper is so smooth and stumps w/gamsol just glide so nicely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I have both the Georgia Pacific and SU Whisper White and although the GP is really good to work with the SU is fantastic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here. SU WW works great. I struggled with which colors to buy, you know, Copic, Prisma, etc. but in the end I got the Prismas also from Michael's with a 50% coupon. They are so expensive! The sales lady said that a young mom came in and bought 2 complete sets for her little girls they day before without even using a coupon!!!!! Man, my kids used Crayola! Also, I kept getting Gamsol all over my desk no matter what I put it in. Finally someone on here suggested these manicurist bottles from, I believe it was Gina K. I bought the amber one and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! No more mess and it's always right at hand. They are glass and metal because someone else had said not to use plastic. Don't know if that was right or wrong but didn't want to chance it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJillView Post
Also, I kept getting Gamsol all over my desk no matter what I put it in. Finally someone on here suggested these manicurist bottles from, I believe it was Gina K. I bought the amber one and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! No more mess and it's always right at hand. They are glass and metal because someone else had said not to use plastic. Don't know if that was right or wrong but didn't want to chance it. Good luck.
I bought a plastic one and after 8 months no problems with the gamsol eating the bottle. I love the glass bottles, but the price was not I wanted to spend if I didn't know if I would like the bottles. I just love the ease of the bottle. I keep my sponge top bottle for travel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I use blending medium and pencils all the time. I use Daler Rowney odorless thinner to blend pencils.
I have a little glass jelly jar with a natural sea sponge in it with the medium.
The little glass jelly jars ( about 1" high) come in gift boxes at Christmas. Buy a small natural sea sponge which are sold in HL, Joanns or an art store. It MUST be a natural sponge the medium will dissolve synthetic sponges. Cut a piece of the sponge to fit snugly in the jar. Use an eye dropper and put enough of your medium on the sponge until you see it in the jar about half way up. Then just touch your blender stump on the moist sponge and you will have the exact amount of medium you need to spread the color .

I don't use blender stumps I have a way to fold paper towels to a sharp point and I use those. If any one wants me to explain the paper towel blenders let me know
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowfeatherView Post
I use blending medium and pencils all the time. I use Daler Rowney odorless thinner to blend pencils.
I have a little glass jelly jar with a natural sea sponge in it with the medium.
The little glass jelly jars ( about 1" high) come in gift boxes at Christmas. Buy a small natural sea sponge which are sold in HL, Joanns or an art store. It MUST be a natural sponge the medium will dissolve synthetic sponges. Cut a piece of the sponge to fit snugly in the jar. Use an eye dropper and put enough of your medium on the sponge until you see it in the jar about half way up. Then just touch your blender stump on the moist sponge and you will have the exact amount of medium you need to spread the color .

I don't use blender stumps I have a way to fold paper towels to a sharp point and I use those. If any one wants me to explain the paper towel blenders let me know
Barbara

Yes, please Barbara. Would love to know how you fold the paper towels to use them to blend.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Cheap paper towels work the best. The cloth type paper towels like Bounty are too soft.

Take one sheet of paper towel
1. Fold it in half ( you now have a rectangle)
2. Fold the left side toward the right side to form a square
3. Fold it in half again to form a small rectangle
4. Fold both side toward the middle as if you were making a paper airplane.
You now have a triangle
5. Fold the edges in again toward the middle ( paper airplane fashion) so you have a very sharp point at the top of the narrow triangle.
6. Fold it again toward the middle and you have a blending stump with a firm sharp point.
I hope this makes sense. IF not let me know.

Water color pencils become paint with water.
Buy a "clear" flexible kitchen cutting mat . They have a tooth or slightly rough surface. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. Walmart has them too, but they are colored and it is difficult to determine colors on a colored mat.

Put a drop or two of water on the mat and then scribble the water color pencils on the cutting mat near the water puddle . The tooth of the mat makes the color come off the pencil. I use a "damp" brush to pick up a little color and mix with the water, but I'll bet you can use your Aqua brush to pick up the color and it would mix it

You can do the same process with your Prismacolors. Put a couple of drops of Gamsol on the mat, scribble your Prismacolor pencil near the Gamsol puddle. Use a brush to mix the two and you have paint.

Barbara

Last edited by crowfeather; 02-09-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink Tutorial

In case you needed more details, here is a link to my blog with step-by-step instructions for coloring with Prismacolor Pencils. I also have links to a great dealer to buy your supplies.

Have fun coloring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Diane that is a fascinating tutorial !
I have never tried baby oil as a blending medium, perhaps because I normally use Faber Castell pencils. I have some Prismacolor pencils and I am going to try your method.
Dick Blick does have the best prices! And they frequently have specials and discounts.
Thanks!!
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #15  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by chispiritView Post
I was wondering ...
if I use the prisma color pencils with the gamsol do I need to buy special cardstock??????

I would really like to get some of those pencils and try them and I got a 50% off coupon for Michaels.
Any smooth, high-quality cardstock will do. I personally like Stampin' Up's whisper white or very vanilla.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

If you use gamsol with the prismacolors will it be safe to scrapbook with? I'm guessing no if you use baby oil right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I use the GP from wal-mart but I did just buy a big pack from staples although I haven't opened it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Thanks Barbara! I have been talking to someone on SCS about coloring this way and she needed some visual assistance. So my DH was out one night so I made the tutorial for her. Plus I now have something to hand out to the class I am teaching about this at the end of the month.

Thanks for looking!

Diane

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowfeatherView Post
Diane that is a fascinating tutorial !
I have never tried baby oil as a blending medium, perhaps because I normally use Faber Castell pencils. I have some Prismacolor pencils and I am going to try your method.
Dick Blick does have the best prices! And they frequently have specials and discounts.
Thanks!!
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I like to use the prismacolor blending pencil for this...super easy and it works so well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

The papertowel idea is wonderful, Barbara! Thanks for the explanation.

I use baby oil, also. Anything you use that is not archival quality should not touch the photo, it can be on the page just not touch the photo...well that is my understanding after about seven yrs of scrapping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I use the Staples White cardstock for my Prisma's, I have used the SU WW and liked it but I find the the Staples cardstock is less expensive then the SU, I think I paid $8 for 250 sheets at Staples Canadian. I also find that the Palette Noir ink works the best for me, I have had no problem with it so far. I put my Gamsol into a glass cup with a sponge in the bottom, I do plan on getting the glass manicure jar but I haven't got around to it yet. I really like using the Gina K blending stumps, they seem to hold there point longer and don't dry out as quickly as the other stumps do. When I got my Prisma's I purchased them on eBay, I ordered the 120 set for $75 including shipping, handling and exchange, they were brand new still in the shrink wrap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I've used Whisper White from SU! and also cardstock from Wal-mart - not sure of the brand but it came in a ream package for a good price. No problems!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Question Colored Pencils

I've been looking at the Prismacolor online. I noticed someone mentioned "Blender". Prisma also has "Watercolor", "Premier", "Verithin" and "Art Stix". What would you recommend?

Read somewhere that "Gamsol" is mineral spirits. Is that the same thing as the thinner mentione here?

All suggestions welcome to this novice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Gamsol is the same as Odorless Mineral Spirits, it's just a brand name. Watercolor Pencils can't be used with Gamsol the technique doesn't work. The premiers are the ones I use and they work but I have also used Crayolas before I had the money to buy Prismacolor Pencils and they work almost as well. Just don't give as deep color as Prisma without using a lot of pencil. I use the Georia Pacific cardstock from WalMart for this. No piling or anything.

Hope this helps.. Michelle

HOOAH! It's an Army Thing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #25  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram.e.bearView Post
I've been looking at the Prismacolor online. I noticed someone mentioned "Blender". Prisma also has "Watercolor", "Premier", "Verithin" and "Art Stix". What would you recommend?

Read somewhere that "Gamsol" is mineral spirits. Is that the same thing as the thinner mentione here?

All suggestions welcome to this novice.
If you want to use the odorless mineral spirits, you do NOT want watercolor pencils. I have the Prisma Premier. I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about how they differ from the Verithin or the Art Stix.

Gamsol is a brand name of artist-grade odorless mineral spirits. Another common brand is Mona Lisa. This is what I use. It has a picture of the Mona Lisa on the front, and it says Odorless Paint Thinner on the front label. But if you look at the contents on the back, it says 100% odorless mineral spirits. I know some people buy less expensive, commercial grade paint thinner at their local hardware store or big box home improvement store, and get the same results when using their colored pencils and blending stumps. However, the fumes will be more noticeable. Even with the artist grade OMS, you still need to be cautious and follow label directions in terms of using in a well-ventilated area, avoiding contact with skin, don't use it near heat or open flames, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

The Prismacolor Blender is just a colorless wax pencil. It is used over the pencil to blend the colors and also it give the work a shine.

Verithins are not only thinner but harder lead. They sharpen to a very shape point which is needed to get very close lines. I use them dry on vellum and they work beautifully. Since I am new to regular card making I don't know how they will work on CS.
In my gallery ( crowfeather) I put a card called "Pansy's where I used dry Verithins to color it. I didn't use the blender
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I buy Daler Rowney Odorless thinner at Walmart . They sell it near the Folk Art acrylic paints for One stroke Painting
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Thank you for all the helpful information. I have my list ready. Wal-Mart to the south or Micheal's to the north! Hmmmmm! =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

does anybody know of any tutorials - preferably video - that show using the blender pencil for blending with the prismas? i have achieved that ONCE and failed every time after - so frustrating!!! so i want to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

i normally use baby oil and get pretty great results - any "icks" are all user error!!! LOL!! But I prefer the baby oil b/c I don't have to worry about it like the OMS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #30  
Glitter Queen

I have been using Prisma pencils for a year now and have tried every paper on the market. I recently tried stamping on watercolor paper and I love the look that I achieve with the pencils and OMS. It actually looks like watercoloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Great info, ladies! There is also a lot of info on the Prismacolor pencils on this thread:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers HTH!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I've actually used many different brands. They're all OK, but I find PTI's the best and easiest to blend on. I think it's a matter of preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Subbing

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes