Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #121  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by geojencView Post
I have just started getting copics. I have to give another plug fro Oozak. I ordered from them on Monday and had my markers by Wednesday. I was so surprised to get them that quickly. Thanks to everyone for all of the samples, I can't wait to play today
ME TOO --- ME, TOO. I ordered on New Years Eve from Oozak and got my order yesterday (Jan 2nd) -- couldn't believe it ~ Yea!! I got Sketch Markers 24-color COMBO, Bright, Earthy & Pastel. Now all I'll need are more browns and grays. Thank heavens for this thread, otherwise I'd have paid WAY more for my Copics!:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #122  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
GingerJenny...

Just checked out your card...EXCELLENT job! I love your coloring...did you say it was your first attempt?? Coulda fooled me!

if you would of watched me you would of told me to give up. The words and signs that were coming out of my mouth in frustration...ugh It wasnt purdy. lol I was so annoyed that I was still having my markers bleed over the EP. Maybe its the paper.. I was using stamping ctmh paper though. hummm Should I use water color paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #123  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerjennyView Post
if you would of watched me you would of told me to give up. The words and signs that were coming out of my mouth in frustration...ugh It wasnt purdy. lol I was so annoyed that I was still having my markers bleed over the EP. Maybe its the paper.. I was using stamping ctmh paper though. hummm Should I use water color paper?
No watercolor paper! It's too rough to blend nicely. The best paper is a smooth non-glossy cardstock.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #124  
Matboard Maniac

thanks. thats what i was using...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #125  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

thanks. thats what i was using...
That's why it turned out so good...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #126  
First To Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by SansueshaView Post
ME TOO --- ME, TOO. I ordered on New Years Eve from Oozak and got my order yesterday (Jan 2nd) -- couldn't believe it ~ Yea!! I got Sketch Markers 24-color COMBO, Bright, Earthy & Pastel. Now all I'll need are more browns and grays. Thank heavens for this thread, otherwise I'd have paid WAY more for my Copics!:cool:
I got that set for Christmas & it started the whole ball rolling!! LOL! I wish Oozak had more in stock~ I ended up ordering from Carpediemstore & paid shipping, bummer; but a girl has to do what a girl has to do (to get what a girl wants!!!)! :twisted:

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #127  
Polyshrink Goddess

I personally haven't had good customer service from Carpe Diem store, so I ordered mine from Dick Blick. If you call their Customer Service 800 number and ask, they will give you a $15 off your set + they offer free shipping over $150 (I think, could've been $200). I was just so happy there was no shipping charge, so I saved $$$. The first time I looked into a set (first 72 set) I saved $12 compared to Carpe Diem. Don't give up on hunting down deals. I sure wish Oozak had their sets in stock too, because I wanted to order from them. I've heard such good things about their customer service and shipping. But like you said, a girls gotta do what she has to do (to satisfy her addiction).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #128  
First To Quack

uh oh~ I sure hope I get them okay. The price increase had me worried so I went ahead & got a bunch.

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

Just added another copic-colored card to my blog...
This could be done with ANY markers, however the awesome color choices make it so easy to make this one really neat. I think I used a dozen colors for this one:

http://papercanoes.blogspot.com/2009...e-ski-hut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #130  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Ok...not sure if this will help anyone...since all computer screens are different. But here is the color-in chart that I use for my markers...I haven't updated it yet with my last order, but if it works...I can redo the photo with the rest of them.

The online swatches are HORRIBLY OFF on many colors...and I bought quite a few colors based on recommendations of others thinking they would just be WRONG when I saw the swatch in my shopping cart...but they got here and were perfect! So in person, these colors do look different!

Hopefully if you have a few of the same colors as I do, you can get a good idea of what you want next...and what you don't!

This chart was printed on PTI CS...on geogia pacific CS the colors looked a bit more grayed-out.

A nice thing to know is: You don't need all 322 Sketch colors EVER. Many are nearly identical to each other. Check out the library at copicmarker.com and click on color wheel to see which ones. (This chart is there too) I printed that wheel and checked off what I have, so that when I order more, I don't buy one right next to one I already have, as the one I have can be used instead.

Hope this helps!

Cher
thanks for posting this. I just saw something like this on someone's blog. Do you mind if I ask where you got the chart? Is it a pdf somewhere? I'd love to print! It was such a pain doing my last order and having to reference to previous orders etc.. thanks

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #131  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazedView Post
Cher
thanks for posting this. I just saw something like this on someone's blog. Do you mind if I ask where you got the chart? Is it a pdf somewhere? I'd love to print! It was such a pain doing my last order and having to reference to previous orders etc.. thanks

Leigh
Here you go...

http://copicmarker.com/Blank%20Hand%20Color%20Chart.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #132  
Inking Addict

Just a few Q's perhaps some can help with. I'm also really new to copics and hope I didnt waste my money cause I'm SOOO not an artist, but also really wanted to at least try to play with these (I'm not a sewer either, but my incredible sewing machine kind of makes me look like one )!

I've been reading Marianne's blog and it's awesome. I'm such a newbie tho there are a few things I dont completely understand. First she mentioned "cleaning" your copics by using Hand Sanitizer? I'm assuming she means if you've done some coloring and have had some bleeding from a stamped ink source? So then what do you do? I also saw somewhere she mentioned just using an absorbent source of paper and draw a few lines to hopefully get the ink out (again if I'm understanding correctly). I purchased my first set of Copics from ebay - probably a mistake. They were advertised as new, but suspect they may have been "demonstrator markers" as many of the lighter colored nibs have darker ink on them. Live and learn (this DOES need to be a sticky) cause by the time I purchased a few others on sale elsewhere, they were only slightly more than the "supposed good deal" I got on ebay. I'm sure they'll be fine but just wanted to clarify the "care" aspect. Marianne's blog is amazing and I went back and started at the beginning. Need to spend some time unencumbered by little ones crawling all over me wanting to "test" my pen collection I esp need to find the tutorial I think she did on "coloring 101".... DEF ME!!

And I'm sorry.. these are such silly basics, but what do folks use the wide end of the sketch for mostly (backgrounds?)... and is the best way to get good (even) coverage to use circular motion quickly?

And then in this "blender pre-soaking" tutorial she mentions several things I'm not quite understanding..:

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...ender-pre.html

I doubt this is something I would do, but I'm just trying to understand.. When she talks about a "juicy" pen, I"m assuming that means one well filled with ink? And that the ink has been heavily applied? Maybe I'm over-thinking things, and just need to play, but was wondering if anyone could elaborate? Thanks!

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #133  
Stampin' Fool

What's the difference in Copic Sketch and Copic Ciao? I purchased my first Copics yesterday at Hobby Lobby and they are the sketch. I was just curious what the difference was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #134  
First To Quack

HL has their copics on sale this week at 30% off!!!!

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #135  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh dear! Between Jessica at Gina K's, Cher (you are amazing, woman!), and this whole thread ... I am sooo in trouble!

With my Copic color wheel in hand, put in a first order at Carpedium. Ordered some earth tones, blues and greens. (Liking that you can order individual markers there.) I've been frustrated with getting good flesh colors and the Copics seem like just the ticket. Planned on getting my feet wet there (flesh tones), but the blues and the greens were calling my name! OY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #136  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_McBurnettView Post
What's the difference in Copic Sketch and Copic Ciao? I purchased my first Copics yesterday at Hobby Lobby and they are the sketch. I was just curious what the difference was.

Ink is the same, and the three of them have a chisel point. That is a long question (Answered in my blog if you want to know the whole deal), but I will summarize for you.

The original Copics hold more ink than the other two, also come standard with a hard round nib, mostly used for engineers. Square shape.

Sketch hold less ink, and have a brush-like tip. This is the favorite for most illustrators, papercrafters, et... Has an oval shape and its cheaper than the original Copic.

Ciao, this is the low budget version of the sketch, it has the same brush-like tip, but it has a smaller round body, and holds less ink. These are the cheapest of all.

The Copic and Sketch, can be used directly with the Copic Air brush system. Technically the Ciao, can't be used, but I have seen some people modifying their Brush system to fit Ciaos.

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #137  
Inking Addict

Kristen
Marianne's blog is the best. She has a several part discussion on the differences in pens, but this is part 1 I believe:

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...es-part-1.html

I see she's got a post that hopefully will answer one of my Q's above - better go read I wish I had several uninterrupted hours to get thru her blog as it's a wealth of info!

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #138  
First To Quack

This is the card that started my spiral into copics! I was given 3 markers & had to run to HL to get a few more to finish Tilda.

You are My Favorite by Beachbound at Splitcoaststampers

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #139  
Pearl-ExPert

Two more differences between Sketch and Ciao are:

Sketch have the color name and number on the end of the cap, Ciao do not.

Sketch do not have a choke-proof cap, Ciao do...they have air holes, which is why they can't put the numbers on the end.

So if you have small children who like to put everything you drop in their mouths in .08 seconds flat, Ciao are safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #140  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachboundView Post
This is the card that started my spiral into copics! I was given 3 markers & had to run to HL to get a few more to finish Tilda.

You are My Favorite by Beachbound at Splitcoaststampers
I don't have permission... :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #141  
Stampin' Fool

Okay! Thanks everyone for the help. I'm not sure what way I will go. I got 2 Sketch markers yesterday at HL. I want to get more, but they are so expensive so I wasn't sure which way to go.... I guess I'll see how many I can get at HL this week with then 30% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just found this thread, thanks for starting it. :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubascrapperView Post
Horizontally, I use the 4 section cubes from Office Max. I have 4 cubes and can divide out all of my color families this way. I'm so used to storing my SU markers horizontally that this just makes sense to me to do the same.
Yes, I do too....they work great! I had the Copic plastic holder at first, but it just wasn't that effective for me. You always had to put the marker in the slot.....this cube is so much easier, and allows for your collection to grow. Which mine has!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #143  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuppymouse
No, apparently, the original nibs won't fit sketch markers. So the closest you can get is the medium round, but that is not what you wanted...

See http://www.copicmarker.com/nibs_sketch.html
I have about 90 sketch markers and find that I never use the broad tip. I have considered switching them out for the medium round tips. Has anyone done this and what was your result? Did it work well? Do you use this tip a great deal? Is the medium round tip good for detailed work?

Thanks for all your suggestions....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #144  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I don't have permission... :(
Whew! I thought it was only me that does not have permission sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #145  
First To Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I've thought about doing that too. I never use the chisel end.
I wonder how it would work for calligraphy? Of course I would need to learn calligraphy first.....

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachboundView Post
I wonder how it would work for calligraphy? Of course I would need to learn calligraphy first.....
I think the chisel tip would be good for coloring in large areas....but most of my images are too small for that, so I never use this end. That is why I have considered removing it and putting in the smaller tip.....anyone done this?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #147  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow just read this whole thread!(instead of working on swap) I ordered copics for my dh to give me for christmas, wish I had seen these charts first. I ordered from www.icopic.com I haven;t seen anyone refer to this site so I thought I would throw it in here for one more to compare. I had them almost immediately. unfortunately I couldn't open them until christmas day. Lots of great info here I will be coming back when I play and have questions. thank you to everyone with experience sharing with us newbies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #148  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just checked, looks like the prices for individual markers went up since I bought before Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #149  
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't think the Carpedium prices this morning were too bad ($3.95 + s/h). I ordered 20 markers and the s/h came to $13, so $4.60/marker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #150  
Stampin' Fool

I am glad to see that there are others that do not use the chisel tip on their copics. I was starting to think it was just me! I do not really see where I would use that tip for coloring in stamped images. Usually I'm trying to be careful not to go outside the lines.

When I think of it, what a waste that tip is for me, at least. Is there a tip that could be used for tiny places that I could replace the chisel tip with?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #151  
Crimping Master

I just got my first set (I am a little behind the times) and I am so excited!

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #152  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

www.youtube.com has some copic tutorials that are informative as to shading, blending, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #153  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Someone mentioned having a Copic color wheel. Where does one get that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #154  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SansueshaView Post
Someone mentioned having a Copic color wheel. Where does one get that?
This one from the copic library maybe? (thank you Cheri for sharing the copic library link): http://copicmarker.com/updated%20col...%20VERSION.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #155  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
This one from the copic library maybe? (thank you Cheri for sharing the copic library link): http://copicmarker.com/updated%20col...%20VERSION.pdf
Great, thanks! I had gone into the Copic Library and had gotten into the catalog, but I hadn't seen the color wheel. Again, thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #156  
Crimping Master

You can email them and they will send you one in the mail. I just received mine yesterday, along with some other info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #157  
Crimping Master

Quote:

can i get a what what

This is my first blending card posted in the gallery

i'm happy with it being my first attempt
flower child by gingerjenny at Splitcoaststampers

i did emboss it in clear ep first and my colors still blead out a little so i decided to cut them out so you couldnt see where i went out of lines. lol
Great job shading. I'm new too and just trying to figure all this out. I actually finally like one of the images I colored.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #158  
Crimping Master

I ordered right after christmas at oozak and had great customer service. I only ordered about 12 or so, so I had to go back and get more and oozak was out of the colors I needed so I ordered from carpediem. I'm waiting for my order. I hope everything works out with them. I ordered 23 more. Yeah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #159  
Watercolor Wizard

OK, here is a question: did I get a defective Copic marker? I store them horizontally. I bought a set of 12 Copics (original) at a craft store shutting down about 2-3 months ago. I have used some of them, but this one (B29 I think,) is so unbalanced I don't think I can use it! The broad end came out watery and the pointed end is so concentrated it doesn't even look like the same color family, I could not color anything with it. I used a colorless blenderand eventually determined it was the same color, but what would cause such a dramatic variation in ink saturation? Has anyone else had this experience (the rest of my copics seem just fine)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #160  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I've thought about doing that too. I never use the chisel end.
I asked Marianne to make sure that I got the correct ones and Ellen Hutson's store does have the medium round nibs for the Sketch. I ordered 3 packs of them because I know I'll use it more than the chisel end because frankly, I don't at all. Once I get some experience with the round nibs, I'll post something.
Reply With Quote Likes