Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stamping on fabric?

Ok, dh asked me to help him out. One of his coworkers is pregnant and they've decided to make her a quilt. Each person has a square that they're supposed to decorate and he asked me at the last minute to whip something up for him since I've got so much crap in my stamping room.

I know I can stamp on fabric with pallette inks or craft inks and heat set them but would it be wiser to try the iron on fabric stuff instead?

Any tips? Advice? Examples? Help!!!!!! I mainly do cards so the other crafty stuff is a bit of a stretch for me.

Thanks in advance!

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only ever stamped on fabric, so I can't speak to iron-ons. But I do know that stamping on fabric is super easy and turns out nicely! Be sure to head set when you're done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful - I cought some iron on stuff recently and the sides were marked incorrectly - ruined the image, the tee shirt, and the iron. I found out the hard way the irons they make now aren't nearly as good as the one it ruined. :(

I say if you have 2 irons (or really love your current one) use your least favorite or buy a cheapy one for $7 bucks... just in case...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, I would run down to the craft store for one more "craft junk" item... fabric paint! You can get a small bottle for a buck or so. Or try to find fabric ink like Fabrico...a pad of that runs around $6 I think. I say that because an item that's likely to get repeated laundering will look much better in the long run if you use the right stuff.

Or, another trick I learned a looong time ago: Heat emboss an image onto plain copy paper. Take the paper, place it embossed side down on the fabric, and iron with a hot iron. The image will transfer permanently to the fabric. It won't be raised, it's just the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I've only ever stamped on fabric, so I can't speak to iron-ons. But I do know that stamping on fabric is super easy and turns out nicely! Be sure to head set when you're done.

What kind of ink pad do you use, and do you heat set with an iron or in the dryer? I have some material that I just made into drapes for my craftroom and my DH said that I should stamp on them to give them a little added someting. TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I recently stamped some onesies, you can check them out on my blog. But stamping directly on the fabric is super easy if you have the right ink, I used pallete. I ironed the fabric first to get wrinkles out, let cool. Stamped my images, then when you iron over it to heat set, place a piece of cotton or sheet on top to protect the image and prevent any discoloring. I also used some fabric markers I got from JoAnns. I used them to color in some of the images, versus just the outline from the ink.

I've used the iron on fabric stuff, like the one where you print something from the computer and iron on. I find it tends to sort of crack so you see thru to the fabric.

A lot of the stores also sell really cute iron-on transfers, JoAnns has a whole section for baby-themed ones. You could get one then just write something in fabric marker too.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Or try to find fabric ink like Fabrico...a pad of that runs around $6 I think.
Fabrico recently changed its name to Versacraft so if you're looking for it, you may not find it with the old name. Versacraft is the same stuff and stamps really well on fabric. You can get little cubes as well as the full size pad; I got those so I could get a good range of colours although I can't give you an idea of cost as I'm in the UK - I'd have thought a couple of dollars would cover it. The quilt idea sounds fun!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Kathy, if you wanted to 'see' what iron-on applique is all about here is a u-tube demo'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

What does heat emboss the image mean to the paper I am curious I do alot of work with fabrics and trying to figure out the best ways of PERMINANT images.
Thanks so much
Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi Erin, welcome to SCS!

Heat embossing is a technique that involves a powder and a heat gun. You stamp an image with a pigment ink, sprinkle on the powder and then melt with a heat gun to produce a raised line. It works great on paper but it's not going to be great for fabric use - the powder would stick in the fibres where you don't want it and it would most likely crack and flake off as the fabric flexes.

An ink like Versacraft is permanent on fabric if you heat set it with an iron and there are lots of pretty colours to choose from.

Acrylic paint can also be used to stamp on fabric and again, ironing it will make it permanent.

You need to take some care with laundering any fabrics you have stamped - best to turn them inside out and treat them as "delicates" if you want the image to last as long as possible.

Hope that helps!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually, there's a way to transfer the embossed image in a permanent way. I learned this in a stamp store a bazillion years ago, lol. Stamp and emboss your image onto plain copy paper. (Not sure it HAS to be white or copy paper, but that's what we used.) Then we just flipped the paper over onto a piece of muslin (so that the embossed image is face down on the fabric) and pressed from the back. The plastic of the embossed image melts and then transfers to the fabric. Just the line, though, not the raised quality. It was so cool!

As far as laundering, anytime I've put effort into stamping or otherwise decorating a garment, I figure it's worth the extra care to keep it fresh looking as long as possible. That usually means washing inside out in cold water and air drying. I have some t-shirts that are over a decade old that still look great.

Thanks so much about the info on Fabrico...I hadn't heard that and probably would've gone nuts the next time I looked for it, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I love to use iron ons. I have stamped with Craft ink and heat set, but the irons will last forever and are more colorful! I have done t shirts and onesies, and they hold up well to multiple washings. Believe it or not, my kids love me to stamp on iron on material and transfer it to their white t shirts. They may be the only kids (they are both boys) in 6th and 3rd grades wearing rubber stamped images to school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oops! Never mind, lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Default info about work on fabric

Yes you have to use special ink and I am still trying to find the best type.
So far I am using a line from Jacquard but that is not what you would want. It is great but I make my own stamps from the bottle, does that make sense and it is not easily available in stores yet it is not expensive.
Fabrico-versacraft is highly recommended and I will be trying it this week, but only recommended for light coloured fabrics.
Do not use crafters ink they recommend it for fabric and it does not stay vibrant! Iron on transfers do work but they do tend to not last long, I have tried them all! I use xerox brand and it seems to be the best. I can send you a package of it not sure when you need it. We are far from each other but you can get it in about 10 days. I paid $10 for a pack of 10 sheets but if you just want a few sheets then I would sell them for $1 a sheet 8.5 x 11. it is easy just print in an ink jet and iron on ABC.
Not sure if this is too much info but thought I would respond since all I know is fabric not paper! lol
I will call myself the happy learner at the moment since I am soooo new to this.
Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default stazon

I use staz on ink and then heat set with iron. I make several onesies and this always works and lasts through washings too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterflyslpView Post
I use staz on ink and then heat set with iron. I make several onesies and this always works and lasts through washings too!
Just so you know - Stazon is not recommended for fabric use and some colours will not stay true. I guess for a onesie that has a limited life because babies grow so quickly it probably doesn't matter but if you are working on a project for yourself it's probably best to avoid Stazon.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also use Palette inks. They are permanent on fabric once heat set.
Reply With Quote Likes