Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Die Cutting Machines: Someone, PLEASE sort it all out!

I would like to see a nice Excel spreadsheet of features of all of the die-cutting machines, 'cause all the details are v-e-r-y confusing. I'm looking for list price, footprint, weight, electrical or hand-cranked, materials it will cut, materials it will emboss, what it will and won't do, which dies it will or won't take, advantages and disadvantages -- the whole picture. ... I like one of the new SU! dies, and I'm sure I could find more to like. However, I have never seen one of these gismos in operation, and am bewildered with all the lingo (mats, pads, platforms, etc.) Thank you in advance, I'm sure many will appreciate having all the information in one place.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have a local scrapbook store nearby that lets you come in and use their tools?? that's the best way, to have some hands on use to see how the machines feel to you Can't help you with a list, but I've always been a "Big Shot" gal....

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love my bug!

I felt the same way a short while ago....I started researching on line, talking to other scrappers, deciding how much money I could afford at the moment and settled on my Cuddlebug! I LOVE IT. It's small, portable and can use any dies....When you can get them for 40-50% off at stores...it's a good place to start. You won't be sorry. You can always upgrade to a more expensive product, but I can guarantee you'll still be using your little bug..
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I also looked at all the other die cut machines and followed the different threads here on SCS and decided to get the Cuttlebug. I absolutely love it! It does everything I need and is very easy to use. I just started using the Nestabilities with it. You won't be disappointed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alice in Md...........In the perfect world your idea of an all inclusive listing would be terrific. But this is not a perfect world and that kind of listing is not going to happen.

As a previous poster said, you just have to see for yourself the various machines, talk to people, get their opinions and then make your own decision.

It may help you to sit down and make out a list of what you want from a die cutting/embossing machine. Then do some research to see what machine you can find that best fits your requirements. Not any machine is going to fit all things that anyone wants it do do. So in the end you just have to make a choice. It may be the right one and it may not. After gaining more experience with using one machine, you may want to make another purchase to upgrade yourself or just change to one that better fits your needs.

We all went about looking for a die cutting/embossing machine in the dark. We just had to take the plunge and choose one. Many did it based on budget, which I feel can be wrong (again, just my opinon).

I have 3 different machines that each are good in their own way, but neither could completely replace the other.

The only thing I can say is not to make your decision on looks of the machine, color/cuteness or just price. Base it on the function of the machine to fit your needs.

Realize that talking to people you are getting opinons which are subjective, but it's a good start.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #6  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
I would like to see a nice Excel spreadsheet of features of all of the die-cutting machines, 'cause all the details are v-e-r-y confusing. I'm looking for list price, footprint, weight, electrical or hand-cranked, materials it will cut, materials it will emboss, what it will and won't do, which dies it will or won't take, advantages and disadvantages -- the whole picture. ... I like one of the new SU! dies, and I'm sure I could find more to like. However, I have never seen one of these gismos in operation, and am bewildered with all the lingo (mats, pads, platforms, etc.) Thank you in advance, I'm sure many will appreciate having all the information in one place.
Here are some wonderful Links to get you started:

Craft Critique Cuttlebug vs Sizzix Big Kick/Big Shot

Julie HRR take on the Big Shot vs Cuttlebug

2007 Die Compatibility Chart by IndigoJay

Scrapjazz Review of the Wizard

Spellbinders Wizard Reviews

Quickutz Revolution

Provocraft Circut

I agree that the best way to form your opinion is to go to your local LSS and get hands on practice. You can even call your local JoAnn's and Michaels to see if they are having any how to classes!

There are many different products on the Market and knowing what features you are looking for will help you narrow your search.

Good luck!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 08-20-2008 at 06:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It took me a while to find this link again:

Die Cut Machine Reviews

It has star ratings for the different criteria; if you click on a group of stars, it will give you more information as to why the machine got the rating it did.

The chart can't take the place of actually getting your hands on the machines and trying them for yourself, but it's a good start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

One issue that no spreadsheet will help with is your own personal experience. Waaaaay back when the Cuttlebug first came out, it was HOT, lol! When the Big Shot came out, it did the exact same thing in the same way. The only difference really was the fact that the Big Shot was a wee bit sturdier and took less effort to crank items through. If you look at their features side by side, that difference isn't going to show. But if you have carpal tunnel or some other reason why your wrists are tender, it might make all the difference in the world.

Definitely compare products' features as much as you can. If you can, though, find a way to physically try out the machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have done some video tutorials on some die cutting machines:

Quickutz Revolution
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=152

Cuttlebug
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=156

Cuttlebug with Competitor's Dies
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=159

on September 5th I will be showing you the Sizzix Big Shot and on September 12th I will be showing you the Sizzix Big SHot Express.

And in October, Quickutz is releasing the Revolution Love which will be electronic, be able to use all dies, and will be releasing larger dies to use with it.

Hopefully some of this will help your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I sell a number of the different electronic diecut machines, and personally have a few of the manual ones as well. Some are for store use for workshops, etc.

but, my biggest piece of advise is to figure out what you will be cutting, and how you will be using your machine.

I have a Cricut Expression and a KNK XL that I love. I use them for different projects. The Cricut I use for something quick and portable. My KNK is for my projects needing something totally custom where I can weld letters, use any TTF that I want, etc.

I have a Cuttlebug for embossing and using my Nestabilities. I *could* do those with my KNK however...for me it's easier and faster to pull out my dies on things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Wow! Many thanks to all of the posters so far, especially for the links and words from the wise. If anyone has more information to share, or is inclined to make a chart, post away! I wish there was a local scrapbooking or stamping store where I could gain some hands-on experience as the big box stores don't even let you open the boxes and my friends haven't invested in these yet. I'll keep checking SCS for new information. Thanks again to everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I came upon this while looking for something else...lol..lol Thought it might help some of you looking for a machine.

http://www.karlum.com/die_cutting.htm

I think this gal did a great job putting this together.

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
It took me a while to find this link again:

Die Cut Machine Reviews

It has star ratings for the different criteria; if you click on a group of stars, it will give you more information as to why the machine got the rating it did.

The chart can't take the place of actually getting your hands on the machines and trying them for yourself, but it's a good start.
Thanks for the link, I've started thinking about a machine, and seeing them rated side by side does make it a little clearer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

This is just an opinion, and I am biased since I own one, but I really enjoy my Cricut. All the hundreds of dies you would need to store on a shelf are in one little 2 inch cartridge. I love to have the option of choosing my size of letter and all the other features that come on one single cartridge. I already invest my space with wood mounted SU stamps. I have no more room to store all the dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Smile Amen to that Sister!

i am glad to finally see someone talking about the cricut. I have not purchased one... and i know it would be well loved in my studio... the clients i have would love to have access to it as well... but i would like to see it cut chipboard. when it can do that.... I AM IN!
i also have a room of stampin up wood block stamps... and other various supplies that are taking up the spaces... and i don't see setting myself up with a great tool and umpteen dies that i have to store.... already feel like i am negotiating the space constantly.
so the cricut is on my radar... but i am determined to not jump until it does all that i want it to... i will hold those hot little dollars close until i know i will LOVE it!

does anyone know if the newest Cricut can cut chipboard?
or am i still waiting...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

The Cricut Expression can cut chipboard, although not super thick. I did just see on the web that they are coming out with an opitional cutting blade/housing that is for deeper cuts, so I'm thinking that should let you cut even thicker chipboard. I have both the Cricut Expression with Design Studio and the Pazzles Inspiration cutter. I like the Cricut because it is quick, simple and they have some great designs on the Cartridges. Also supplies for it are available at Joannes, Wal-Mart and Michaels. What I don't like is lousy customer service and the Design Studio isn't all it's cracked up to be. After buying the Cricut I bought a Pazzles Inspiration and love it. On the Pazzles I can cut any true-type font and can import and cut clipart, graphics etc with the software that comes with it. It can cut chipboard, stencil plastic, vinyl etc. It also cuts stamps with either the Pazzles stamp material or gasket rubber from the hardware store. They have "blades" for distressing, peircing, glass etching and dry embossing. The downside to the Pazzles is that it isn't cheap and there is a bit of a learning curve for the software. Also, all supplies have to be ordered, there is no store in my area that carries the blades, cutting mats etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Smile i have never heard of the pazzles..

speedsk8ter,
thanks for mentioning the pazzles.... that sounds amazing... i will have to look into it whilst i wait for cricut... or i guess look into their newest model at the same time.

your very helpful...
my area wouldn't be carrying it either i would guess... do you know what the site is that i should look at for ordering... i am in canada...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

You may also want to find a local SU demo. She may have bought the Bigshot, and be willing to let you try it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

speaking of the Big Shot- will the new SU dies for it work in a cuttlebug??
I just bought a CB-(and i am waiting on it to be delivered!!) and was wondering!!

Also- Cuttlebug at Joann.com is on sale with free shipping!!!
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

JUst heard today that Cricut is offering a new "deeper cut" blade - it was released at CHA and I think Oh My Crafts is preordering. Also the regular Cricut is a great machine - if you just want die cuts - no need for the big one, and the computer software, etc. if you are just getting into it. They are going down in price eveywhere right now 'cause everyone seems to be jumping for the Expression - some people have even sold them on SCS. Check out the Buy/Sell forum - good thigns going on over there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Pazzles is fantastic. I am pretty sure they ship International
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarashepView Post
speaking of the Big Shot- will the new SU dies for it work in a cuttlebug??
I just bought a CB-(and i am waiting on it to be delivered!!) and was wondering!!

Also- Cuttlebug at Joann.com is on sale with free shipping!!!
I read a post where it says that the XL dies will fit in the Cuttlebug, but the plates that go with it have to be cut. You can go to Indigo Inklings blog and she has some instructions on how to use the XL dies with the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Big Shot and the Pazles Inspiration and LOVE both. If Iam not mistaken, the Cuttlebug won't take the new XL Bigz dies by Sizzix. Oh - and it cuts chipboard, fabric, fun foam lighr metal and on and on...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsk8terView Post
The downside to the Pazzles is that it isn't cheap and there is a bit of a learning curve for the software. Also, all supplies have to be ordered, there is no store in my area that carries the blades, cutting mats etc.
I finally made this decision myself and bought a Pazzles Inspiration... I'm anxiously waiting for the slow boat to bring it over here... In the meantime, I bought some items for it from Joanns online. I also noticed Target had Pazzles stuff online as well. Does anyone know if they carry Pazzles items in store at Joanns/Target?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Where to get Pazzles/Pazzles supplies

I bought my Pazzles machine at a Scrapbook Convention. Since then, I have ordered additional supplies from www.pazzles.com. I have not checked out any other on-line source because I have had such great customer service from Pazzles. They are very quick & helpful. I think they do ship international. If they don't ship directly, I'm sure they could direct you to distributer that does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
*chuckle* I'm sure many would . . . that would be quite an extensive and time-consuming project for anyone to undertake! ;)

I gave a Big Shot and a CB a test run by buying both machines. Chose to keep the BS. Nice little machine and does pretty much everything I personally need. I wouldn't normally buy two machines to do a comparison, but, I got them for great deals at the time, and it really did help me make the decision best for me.

Good luck on your quest to find the right machine for you! Whichever way you go, having one can certainly enhance your paper projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Again, personal preference. I fell in love with Spellbinder's Wizard after seeing a demo on Scrapbook Memories. It can use most any other die out there (as can a lot of the machines). It does all I want plus more. And the Spellbinder's dies for the Wizard...what can I say. Nestibilities are cool, but they are just the tip of the iceburg. The details in the dies are fantastic. You can either cut, or cut and emboss AND you can use the die as a stencil. You can even cut and mold polymer clays in them! Most other dies that I have seen are pretty basic cookie cutter shapes (maybe I'm not looking in the right places). Whatever you settle on...enjoy! I never wanted one until a year ago...now I don't know how I crafted without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Big Shot 101

I feel there's a lot of information (and misinformation) to sift through on the Big Shot, Cuttlebug, Nestabilities, Bigz and Bigz XL dies. I spent the last few days personally testing the dies in my Big Shot AND Cuttlebug and came up with Big Shot 101 for tips and sandwiches based on my independent "research."

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

There is no such die cut machine as Nestibilities. That is a specific set of dies made for the Spellbinder's Wizard die cutting machine. Like I said, they are only a small portion of the wonderful dies this company puts out. I'm not trying to be nasty...just trying to make sure what's said is clear.

Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I was thinking about getting the Big Shot since seeing it in the SU catalogue. I just saw this video from Christene and it was SO informative!
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=368
I recommend that you check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

There is a video available on you tube that shows you how to use Spellbinders dies with all the competitor brand machines, even though it was made to show you how to use a specific die with other machines it's a great way to see all the machines in one spot. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQJpHgDWlB0

Also, here is a link showing how to use all dies with the Wizard by Spellbinders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54yzQ0h9U08

I hope these videos help you make a decision....in a perfect world you could go to a store and see them all and try them all out, but it sounds like you don't have that option.

Welcome to the world of die cutting!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the old red Sizzix machine and don't really want anything else. Sometimes I see some BIGZ dies that I would like to be able to use, but not enough to have to buy the Big Shot / Big Kick.

Suzy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Default Complete machine comparison chart

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
*chuckle* I'm sure many would . . . that would be quite an extensive and time-consuming project for anyone to undertake! ;)

I gave a Big Shot and a CB a test run by buying both machines. Chose to keep the BS. Nice little machine and does pretty much everything I personally need. I wouldn't normally buy two machines to do a comparison, but, I got them for great deals at the time, and it really did help me make the decision best for me.

Good luck on your quest to find the right machine for you! Whichever way you go, having one can certainly enhance your paper projects!

It was a big project, but Paperthreads just recently updated the chart with just what you're looking for (including some of the newer machines)

Check out the thread here...you may have to be a resistered member at the forum to see it.
LINK HERE

HTH!

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadkinsmdView Post
It was a big project, but Paperthreads just recently updated the chart with just what you're looking for (including some of the newer machines)

Check out the thread here...you may have to be a resistered member at the forum to see it.
LINK HERE

HTH!

Jen
I haven't had a chance to go see this yet, but, I can only imagine the number of man hours it took to compile all this data. Holy tomato!!!

TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Thank you, jadkinsmd, for remembering my question from September and rescuing it from dormancy! Thanks also to Julie for keeping the post active. That is quite a helpful chart of all the electronic die-cutting machines.

Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't seen anyone mention the Slice. I LOVE mine!! Go to www.makingmemories.com, click on the slice, then click on 'why slice' and there are videos. You can even go on youtube and enter 'making memories slice' and more videos will come up. It is different than any of the other electric die cutting machines. Oh, there is also chatter on www.twopeasinabucket.com. Just enter 'slice' in their search box.
Reply With Quote Likes