Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused...Cling Vinyl or EZ Thin Mount

Help!! I am so confused. I am ready to get my SU rubber stamps organized and ready for mounting on acrlyic stamps instead of the wood blocks. BUT, I don't know which of these products (below) I am suppose to use.

So, if anyone out there who has done this, I would appreciate your advice and help.

Thanks!
Leeann

Cling Vinyl for Acrylic Mounts

Cling vinyl is used to temporarily mount your stamp die to an acrylic mounting block. After pressing the rubber die onto foam mounting cushion, remove the remaining backing from the mounting cushion and press onto cling vinyl. Cut the rubber, foam cushion and vinyl together at the same time to the shape of the rubber stamp dies' design. Leave the vinyl in place permanently. Simply press the stamp die onto an acrylic block for a temporary, removable mount.

-------------------OR--------------------

E-Z Thin Mount� Static Cling
Mounting Foam
8-1/2" x 11" Sheet

A 1/16" Thinner version of EZ Mount Cushion. The perfect solution for small stamps (recommended for stamps 1" or smaller) or for stamps that come already mounted to a double sided adhesive foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Hello,
I started putting my stamps onto cling vinyl, but I was dissapointed. I barely used my unmounted stamps until I discovered EZ mount. I started with 50 sheets of ez mount & then a friend got me 20 sheets of the ez mount thin. I love both, but I did just order 30 more sheets of the thin ez mount. I LOVE it. It is really easy to cut out with a hot knife & easy to store. Hands down, I would suggest you get the thin ez mount. JIL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I use the cling vinyl for new sets and sets already mounted i use ez mount. I didn't like the thin ez mount i don't think it clings as well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I don't use any of these systems any longer. I had many problems with EzMount. When I stored my stamps upright, they slowly glided down from the cushion, and when I stored them flat, the glue poured out from the EzMount and damaged the rubber.
Now I use Tack'n'Peel. This is a clear cushion material you stick onto your acrylic handle once, then rubber clings to it temporarily. After stamping you simply peel the rubber off the Tack'n'Peel and your acrylic handle is ready for the next unmounted stamp. It's such a clean and easy thing, and there are some more advantages: You can create fancy background stamps by clinging bubble foil, wool fibers or whatever you can imagine onto the Tack'n'Peel. And it is soooo much easier if you only have to cut through rubber and not through rubber plus some sticky cushion!
You should give it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info. It's so helpful. Christiane, where do you get the Tack n' Peel?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I get my Tack'nPeel from a German stamp store, so this probably will not help you, but on the Tsukineko homepage there's a "where to buy" section:
http://www.tsukineko.com/where.php
And I know that you can get it at AllThatScraps: www.allthatscraps.com
Or at StampingBella: www.stampingbella.com

One last tip concerning the Tack'n'Peel: If the rubber should not cling well any longer onto the Tack'n'Peel (after 1001 times using it or so, LOL), just rinse the acrylic handle with the Tack'n'Peel on it with water and let dry. Then it's just like new. I've been using my first sheet of Tack'n'Peel for over two years now!

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I get my Tack'nPeel from a German stamp store, so this probably will not help you, but on the Tsukineko homepage there's a "where to buy" section:

One last tip concerning the Tack'n'Peel: If the rubber should not cling well any longer onto the Tack'n'Peel (after 1001 times using it or so, LOL), just rinse the acrylic handle with the Tack'n'Peel on it with water and let dry. Then it's just like new. I've been using my first sheet of Tack'n'Peel for over two years now!

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry, my computer seemed to have stuck - so this came through multiple times...
So just ignore it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is some time in the morning (here in the US) when the SCS servers seem to get stuck and multiple posts happen! wierd, isn't it!

that said, I really like EZMount, the regular gray backed thickness. They have a thin EZmount with a black backing. I have some thin for mounting letters. I have the tack and peel and I use that block when I am working with the new unmounted rubber and I am indexing (stazon on the gray side so I can see what the stamp is). Works well.

Last edited by Badger53186; 05-12-2008 at 03:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I use Alene's Tack it Over and Over on bare rubber. Cheaper and less time consuming!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #13  
Montague Mingler

subscribing. I'm in the process of unmounting my SU sets and I need all the help I can get!

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

I've been an EZ Mount (regular) user for the last 4 years and absolutely swear by it. I wasn't crazy about the thin ez mount, but the more you use it (especially with the SU stamps), the easier it gets. I also use Sailors Glue which makes the stamp tacy enough for acrylics and storage - tho' I really like a cushion back better. Tried the Tack 'n' Peel but can't seem to get the hang of it. I heard somewhere that if you put the ez mount stamps on an acetate page, it will eventually form a permanent bond so think twice about that. I store ALL my stamps in CD cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Let's see if I can make any sense this morning...

For unmounting stamps that are already attached to wood, I use EZ-Mount. For brand new SU sets, I use cling vinyl and attach it to the rubber/foam layer (rather than mounting it to wood). I like to still have the cushion rather than straight rubber on acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Somewhere in Ohio, in a tiny little home bursting at the seams with love!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OphthalmologistView Post

Have fun!
quick question, how do you store your UM rubber images? I thought i had this all figured out, but now this (Tack'n'Peel) changes everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdriaView Post
quick question, how do you store your UM rubber images? I thought i had this all figured out, but now this (Tack'n'Peel) changes everything!

I've been wondering about this as well. If the Tack'n'Peel is only on the mount, how do you store the unmounted rubber stamps?

"I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum.
How can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

For SU stamps, I've been putting the sticker that comes with the stamps on top the gray rubber... so I can see perfectly what 's on the rubber!!! I take my time lining it up so it's a match to the rubber side. Then using Aileen's Tack it Over and Over in a thin coat with a foam brush. It's awesome, cheap, and you don't have to buy cling products!

BTW. I don't think I would want the handle sticky bc lots of dust and junk would get stuck to it and my rubber would get misplaced (I'm a messy stamper)! To each her own! IMHO too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Subbing, I'm starting to unmount mine as well, and need all the ideas I can get! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Lynn-you don't need the TIO&O if you just put vinyl cling on your blocks, the design sticker adheres to the vinyl cling.

That's what I came here to post. I stick the design sticker that comes with the SU stamps on white computer paper, cut out, adhere to the foam that comes on the stamps already and trim the stamp. It takes a little practice but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Then, stick vinyl cling on your acrylic block and the stamp will stick b/c of what the design sticker is made of. If there's one that doesn't want to stick as well, I just use a photo tab to stick it on the block, no biggie. I learned about this method on SCS and have loved it over any other thing I've tried.

With the TIO&O, it tore the foam off of my stamps. I didn't like it at all and I used a very thin coat.

You can always try a couple of different methods until you figure out which you like the best. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Christiane-Can you use Tack'n'Peel with stamps that have the foam?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 04:45 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Somewhere in Ohio, in a tiny little home bursting at the seams with love!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsluvs2scrapView Post
Lynn-you don't need the TIO&O if you just put vinyl cling on your blocks, the design sticker adheres to the vinyl cling.

That's what I came here to post. I stick the design sticker that comes with the SU stamps on white computer paper, cut out, adhere to the foam that comes on the stamps already and trim the stamp. It takes a little practice but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Then, stick vinyl cling on your acrylic block and the stamp will stick b/c of what the design sticker is made of. If there's one that doesn't want to stick as well, I just use a photo tab to stick it on the block, no biggie. I learned about this method on SCS and have loved it over any other thing I've tried.

With the TIO&O, it tore the foam off of my stamps. I didn't like it at all and I used a very thin coat.

You can always try a couple of different methods until you figure out which you like the best. Have fun!
ok...now I have MORE questions!
still curious on how you store the UM rubber without any "sticky" on it and how can you remove the image stickers from blocks safely so you can use them to stick onto the gray foam? Does the gray foam loose it's tacky-ness when removed from a block so much that I will need another adhesive to put the image sticker on it? (does any of this make sense???) Lastly, where can I buy some GOOD acrylic blocks for those big back grounds (I hate blocks without the comfort sides such as the ones from CTMH)
WHEW! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

still curious on how you store the UM rubber without any "sticky" on it and how can you remove the image stickers from blocks safely so you can use them to stick onto the gray foam? Does the gray foam loose it's tacky-ness when removed from a block so much that I will need another adhesive to put the image sticker on it? (does any of this make sense???) Lastly, where can I buy some GOOD acrylic blocks for those big back grounds (I hate blocks without the comfort sides such as the ones from CTMH)
WHEW! Thanks!
I agree with Adria, I'm confused about how you would keep track of you little pieces of rubber if they don't stick to anything.!?!? Where do you store them and keep them straight.

Here is a pic of the method I saw on another thread and I cannot find the OP to give proper credit. I've only started with a few of my oldest sets so I can see if I really like it. As you can see, the person with this original idea used the lids from the SU box, which is just the right depth. (I'm keeping the bottom of the box and the blocks in a storage box in case I ever want to sell them). I put them in these containers I found at Big Lots.

As for the stickers and foam... I popped the whole stamp set case, stamps and all, in the microwave for 10 seconds. I peeled off the rubber (foam and all) from the blocks. I used my fingernail to lift the sticker from one corner then peeled that off. Then I mounted sticker to foam, (I lined it up by holding the sticker upside down onto my rubber to make sure I had the right position). So far, there has been plenty of "sticky" between the foam and the sticker to put the two together. Then I trimmed the sticker to fit the foam and applied the light coat of TIOAO to the sticker side. I cut the lid from my case (PAINFUL FOR ME) then I had to remove and re-apply my label sticker so it would face the right way, but that was easy.

Here are some visuals, again, not my original idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Confused...Cling Vinyl or EZ Thin Mount-unmounted-lid.jpg   Confused...Cling Vinyl or EZ Thin Mount-unmounted-file-box.jpg   Confused...Cling Vinyl or EZ Thin Mount-unmouned-larger-container.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

WHEW! Thanks!
I stick vinyl cling on the inside of a CD case and the stamp sticks on that. You can remove a stamp from a wooden block by placing in the microwave for about 5-8 seconds and yes it's still sticky. If your image sticker is already on the wooden block, I'd just stamp the image to make a new image sticker and use a clear photo square to stick them on the block. And the best blocks are CTMH, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

P.S. The reason I stick the image sticker on white computer paper first is so I can see it better, that's the only reason for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #26  
dal
Kookie Creator

I am also a big Tack'n'Peel fan. I am so lazy that after I cut out a SU image I just keep the waxed paper on! The Tack'n'Peel will hold on to the waxed paper (and let it go again if you peel from the edge). If I ever decide I want to wood mount a stamp in the future I still can. It is the ultimate for the person who can not decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like cling vinyl on my SU stamps. Sometimes I have to huff on it to get it to stick well, but for the most part I'm happy. On non-SU stamps, I use regular EZ mount. I do NOT like EZMount thin at all, but I've had luck with the regular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

subbing

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Hay Leeann! As you can see, theres more than one way to skin a cat. ;) I LOVE EZ Mount regular. I've done my whole collection. For wood mounted, I peel it off the rubber then get all the foam and glue totally off, usually w/ the aid of Goo Gone. I trim closely, any stamps that need it and slap them onto a sheet of EZM. I sprinkle the exposed EZM glue with baby powder. This cuts way down on the sticky. Then I peel the white paper off the cling side. I use a glass mat and hot knife to cut around the stamps. Ez, peazy! I don't fool with the index sticker, I stamp each one onto CS cut to fit into the front of CD cases and also onto a sheet of copy paper that I store in sheet protectors in my 3 ring index binder. On the copy paper, I list name of stamp, manuf., retired and when if I know, etc. Then when I'm ready to stamp, I grab a cuppa and thumb thru my index binder. This way, I don't have stamps that I forget about. I store my CD's in the MM 4 drawer wooden cube from Michaels bought with 40% coupon. It is *slap full* so I'll probably store future CD's in my orig. storage = photo boxes.
I have had ZERO problems with EZM! I'm not positive, but I think someone on SCS said Stewart Superior guarantees EZM! HTH!
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for all the information. I have some unmounted stamps I got in a grab bag, but never found a way to use them. I hate cutting out stamps and really did not like the idea of cutting out cushions. Tack n' Peel seems to be what I need. Now I just need to find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

My vote is for EZMount, but not the thin stuff!! I tried vinyl cling, Tack it over and Over, and hated it all except for EZ Mount.

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Default joann.com

Joann.com sells it. and generally on sale with free shipping if you spend enough! just type tack and peel into the search engine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the difference between EZMount and cling vinyl? I thought they were the same, just different companies, but I guess I'm wrong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a question for the Tack N'Peel users.

1. Do you store your stamps in CD cases & if not, what do you use.

2. If you use the CD case, how do you keep them from slipping out?

You guys are great!!

Thanks,
Monica

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfaberView Post
I have a question for the Tack N'Peel users.

1. Do you store your stamps in CD cases & if not, what do you use.

2. If you use the CD case, how do you keep them from slipping out?

You guys are great!!

Thanks,
Monica
I dont use any sticky stuff in my CD case. You could tape some cardstock over the open end if that was concerning to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Monica,

I don't store my stamps in CD cases, but in clear plastic envelopes which I punch and then store in a ring binder. It takes much less room than CD cases, and I can look through my stamps very easily without taking all the CD cases from the shelf, and those clear envelopes are very cheap (sometimes the rubber already comes in such clear envelopes).

Christiane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Has anyone tried the Club Scrap HALO system? Likes? Dislikes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

Christiane, where do you find the clear envelopes? I must be really dense these days! :confused:

Monica

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Monica!
I get the clear envelopes from my office supplier (Staples or Office Discount). I'm not sure if they are German companies or international, but you'll find something suitable in your office supplier's catalog for sure!
Clear little plastic bags from our pharmacy supplier work well, too, by the way!
Happy stamping (and storing)!
Christiane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
Has anyone tried the Club Scrap HALO system? Likes? Dislikes?
Thats the velcro hook and loop system isnt' it? I had one stamp that I purchased that came with it. It was a very detailed stamp and I had a hard time getting an even impression with it. It was too lumpy, even with a cushion underneath. I took that stamp off the HALO down to bare rubber, tried again and it stamped great. My first impression was not a good one
Reply With Quote Likes