Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What widgets, gadgets, or features of blogs do you dislike?
I dislike tracker widgets like Feedburner, Feedblitz, Quantcast.... 62 13.39%
I dislike polls, excessive counters 47 10.15%
I dislike music players 382 82.51%
I dislike slide shows 98 21.17%
I dislike blinkies 181 39.09%
I dislike third party advertising 168 36.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What turns you off a blog?

:p I spend a great deal of time blogging and blurfing, but certain features bug me and are a nuisance? What turns you off a blog? What widgets would you like to see disabled? Why? My peeve is music. Sometimes I'm not expecting it and other times it is the choice of music that drives me crazy! I still go to my fav blogs that have music playing, but see I know this in advance.....so I control the volume. I also saw a blog the other day that had a little blurb about the music and if you wanted to shut it off? I thought that was very considerate and very COOL! My other peeve is excessive number of counters? Is there really a need for 5 or 6 statistical analysis gadgets to be running at the same time?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the poll Danyelle! I just re-did mine not too long ago. I went for the more simple look. I am curious what people like and dis-like in a blog.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great idea for a blog poll. I don't have a blog but I enjoy seeing the creativity of others. I appreciate all the time that goes into explaining techniques used on thier projects. I don't appreciate the music though - it seems like such an intrusion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Another thing I dislike is Tip Jars. It's not listed on the polls. I just think they are kind of tacky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe it is just me but I almost immediately leave a blog if it is black background with white writing. It is very distracting and super difficult for me to read. Not to mention the crazy effect you get if you try to scroll up. I must be getting old...
Now if there is added music to it, I'm out of there even faster.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I really HATE music in a blog. It just seems to take away from what I went there for in the first place. I agree with sleepinseattle too! It is just too hard to read light letters on a dark background!

KraftyChic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #7  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

I also voted against music on blogs....*very* distracting, and surprising, if you're not expecting it. I like to keep my blog sweet and simple. I do have a counter, but that's *it*! LOL!

Fan my etsy shop on Facebook: RJY Handmade Designs

Check out my etsy shop: www.rjyhandmadedesigns.etsy.com

Blog: http://rjyhandmadedesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassybeeView Post
Another thing I dislike is Tip Jars. It's not listed on the polls. I just think they are kind of tacky.
That is one I did remember.........as soon as you said it. LOL I get why they are there, but I'm just thinking like...you want "who" to help you support your blog? I just assumed (and I take responsibility for the assumption) that most blog readers were bloggers, so why would I contribute to your tip jar? Tell me if it's not making any sense and there is a logical explanation.

Also, I notice that the black background blogs often have a poll in the sidebar asking readers to vote on whether to keep it black or not? I say go with what you like. I don't know if I find them harder to read or not? I usually puter in the dark, so ......I don't know? Thankfully, the few music blogs I do go to regularly, have music I can listen too. If I click a link and your blog starts shouting obscenities at me, Ima gonna be mad!

Danyelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I completely agree about people having music on their blogs. It always startles me and I don't like it. I get around the music by subscribing to my favorite blogs in Google Reader.

I do have another pet peeve----people who write about their kids throwing up. It completely grosses me out. As soon as I read that I close their blog. I know it's a fact of nature that we can get sick like that, but I truly don't want to read about it, think about it, or hear about it. I can't believe I'm even writing about it right now, but I'm hoping other bloggers will think about it. Some of us have weak stomachs when it comes to that subject.

Has that made me stop reading their blogs completely? No. But for the rest of the day I'm grossed out. I just don't deal with that subject very well!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannieGrvsView Post
I completely agree about people having music on their blogs. It always startles me and I don't like it. I get around the music by subscribing to my favorite blogs in Google Reader.

I do have another pet peeve----people who write about their kids throwing up. It completely grosses me out. As soon as I read that I close their blog. I know it's a fact of nature that we can get sick like that, but I truly don't want to read about it, think about it, or hear about it. I can't believe I'm even writing about it right now, but I'm hoping other bloggers will think about it. Some of us have weak stomachs when it comes to that subject.

Has that made me stop reading their blogs completely? No. But for the rest of the day I'm grossed out. I just don't deal with that subject very well!
LOL....this made me laugh. Just because I have four kids and it's bound to happen around here. I see your point though....it might be a regular thing in my life but not worthy of reading to someone else. Sometimes I catch myself writing about stuff as if I were having a convo with my close friends {who were the original readers of my blog} and forget that hundreds of people visit now and could care less about my kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I dislike music on the blogs. I dislike different colored fonts...too hard to read.

Other than that, I don't care what they write about. Most blogs I scan the pics first and if I like what I see then I read on.

I am ok with personal stuff...some of the blogs I visit are like my daily soap opera fix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can NOT stand the music! One blog in particular has it blasting when the blog page comes up. I don't care if there is a button to shut the music off. By that time, I aM annoyed and just close the webpage. It's too late.

The other thing that annoys is huge picture files. Most bloggers have decent sized files, but there are a few that need to compress their images. They are too large and take too much time to come up on the screen.

That's all I have to add.

E

Last edited by beadsonthebrain; 05-03-2008 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree on the music... I usually have my media player going with what I want to hear, and when a blog has competing music, it's annoying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassybeeView Post
I agree too. Although I read a few that have tip jars that I continue to go back to but I won't leave a 'tip'. I have wondered if people actual get any tips from this.

Also I agree with the stories about the kids. I have two blogs, one for my craft stuff and one for personal stuff. I figure most of the people who just read (or look at) my craft blog don't care about my kids soccer game on Sat. I read craft blogs for ideas not to see what your kids or your cat did that day. Keep it separate I say.
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #15  
Vintage Vixen

I don't read any blogs routinely. In fact, I hadn't visited a single blog until I got on SCS! I occasionally look at a few stamping related ones and that is it. But you can add me to the list of people who get annoyed by loud, obnoxious music. I have no idea what a blog tip jar is. Do people expect you to give them real money (say, by Paypal or something)? Tip jars in general tick me off. The first time I saw one, at a Starbucks or Subway or some place like that, I could hardly believe it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I totally agree about the music! It's so irritating! I just put of my volume.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, I didn't realize when I posted this that so many people dislike music players. I was shocked by the polll. I just thought it was me not being "hip" enougth to keep up with the trendy. It is good to know what other people find distracting or turned off of on a blog because too often we assume that everyone likes what we like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I too voted for music. 95% of the time the music is not my style.
That said, I have a blog with a black background and I want to change it but I'm too chicken. I'm afraid I'll lose all the links etc I have on the right side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

it's funny so many people said the black background/lighter letters are annoying... our power point class said just the opposite... "they" suggested a dark background/lighter letters as being easier to read and more appealing to the target audience...

go figure...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh...yes, I am guilty. I am one of those tacky people who has a tip jar on my blog. And believe it or not, the first time I saw one on someone's blog I thought it was kind of tacky too.

However, last year, when my husband almost lost his job, I was asked by some of my readers to put the tip jar up there so they could help keep my blog going. The subsequent donations kept my blog going for a year. Luckily, my husband's job was saved at the last minute.

I have left it up because some folks actually want to contribute. They like what they get from my blog and want to give back. I don't get a huge amount in there and I don't expect people to contribute. But I do get enough to pay for my blog and really that's all it's there for. I'm a stay at home mom and with three kids, there isn't a lot leftover for extras. I know I could have a free blog through Blogger (and I used to have my blog there) but I use Typepad instead of Blogger because it's better and allows me to host my own files for downloading (and there are lots of requests for files, which take up a lot of time if you have to email them out to all who request them) and to keep a photo gallery on it. Plus, I can block nasty trolls from commenting, which is another problem I had last year.

So, anyway, that's why I have a tip jar and my guess is that is why other bloggers have one too. I am not making money off of unsuspecting passersby, I am not making a mint, and no, you don't have to put anything in there if you don't want to. The blog is still free to read. It's just there for those who feel moved to throw something in. And since every year until my husband retires, we will probably go through this crap, I'm keeping it. We still haven't heard about whether his program will be cut next year or if he will still be teaching it...lovely reward after 20 years of dedication, eh?

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

And the only thing that I voted that bugs me is the music. I don't mind music players that are not turned on automatically...just don't want to be blasted if I click on your blog. I read most blogs through Google Reader, so I don't hear your music if you have your blog on full feed. But that's the one thing that you didn't have in your list, Danyelle...partial feeds. I have gotten to the point that unless your snippet of text showing in Google reader grabs my attention, I don't bother to click through to read it. (Unless you are Debbie Olsen...I'll always look at EVERYTHING she does!) I have a bunch of blogs in my reader (including Danyelle's!) and can't seem to resist adding more, so people who have their blog on a partial feed may not get their content read by me if I am in a hurry.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
it's funny so many people said the black background/lighter letters are annoying... our power point class said just the opposite... "they" suggested a dark background/lighter letters as being easier to read and more appealing to the target audience...

go figure...
With PowerPoint you are generally looking at a larger font size, which makes a difference. Large white letters on a black background on a projector screen are a bit less stressing than small white letters on a black background on a monitor. (taking off my Microsoft Office teacher hat)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmg.sweetView Post
With PowerPoint you are generally looking at a larger font size, which makes a difference. Large white letters on a black background on a projector screen are a bit less stressing than small white letters on a black background on a monitor. (taking off my Microsoft Office teacher hat)
well that makes sense then. I was just going by what the power point teacher was saying, and didn't realize it made a difference with what output device you're looking at....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Plus, I can block nasty trolls from commenting, which is another problem I had last year.
Now this just floors me. I can't even imagine someone being nasty to the great JanTink! You SO rock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

OMG I must be more addicted to blurfing than I thought because I cant say there is anything that turns me off from looking at a blog...I love them all for different reasons...and I check them like 100 times a day...:rolleyes:

It will be nice to see what does turn others off though, then maybe I can make sure I dont have any of those things and get some visits;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyinseattleView Post
Maybe it is just me but I almost immediately leave a blog if it is black background with white writing. It is very distracting and super difficult for me to read. Not to mention the crazy effect you get if you try to scroll up. I must be getting old...
Now if there is added music to it, I'm out of there even faster.
Ditto.
It gives a strobe light effect, which makes me dizzy:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
well that makes sense then. I was just going by what the power point teacher was saying, and didn't realize it made a difference with what output device you're looking at....
It also depends on the size of the room the powerpoint is being projected in. At my church, for instance, we use black background with white type in our large sanctuary. But for smaller studies in the fellowship hall, it's white background with black font.

But as to the OP (sorry for the tangent!), music on blogs turns me off, too. That's really the only thing that truly annoys me and if there's no option to turn it off, I turn it off the only way I can - close the page!

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

I also voted music players - HATE them!! DH tends to turn the volume on the computer way up and I forget to turn it down before I go surfing and someone's music will inevitably punch me in the face! I don't care that I can turn it off because it's already made its mark on me and sometimes I have to scroll down for days before I can even find the player. It really doesn't matter if it's music I like or not - I don't want music forced on me!!

Is there anyway to have them turned off before I even get there (for blogs that I visit all the time)? I know I can just mute my sound, but I always seem to forget.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm9772View Post
I also voted music players - HATE them!! DH tends to turn the volume on the computer way up and I forget to turn it down before I go surfing and someone's music will inevitably punch me in the face! I don't care that I can turn it off because it's already made its mark on me and sometimes I have to scroll down for days before I can even find the player. It really doesn't matter if it's music I like or not - I don't want music forced on me!!

Is there anyway to have them turned off before I even get there (for blogs that I visit all the time)? I know I can just mute my sound, but I always seem to forget.
I wish! What bugs me is when I open a whole bunch of blogs in tabs. One has music playing. I usually surf on my laptop while we are watching a movie. It irritates the family and I have to go and shut them all down before I find the one that has music.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motherof6View Post
I wish! What bugs me is when I open a whole bunch of blogs in tabs. One has music playing. I usually surf on my laptop while we are watching a movie. It irritates the family and I have to go and shut them all down before I find the one that has music.
Ugh, when I am sending a mass message to my youth group kids via myspace, this is the biggest problem I have. I open their "profiles" in different tabs, and all their music players start... I have to hurry and go back to click "comment" before the pages fully load or I have 10-15 different players on at once.

I do have a player on my myspace page, but I have it set to NOT autostart on page load. If someone wants to check out the music I like, they have the option.... but it won't start automatically...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to you posters - I discovered Google reader. Who knew??? I just signed up - it's terrific!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Google REader is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I voted for the music players....I totally agree with everyone! I don't mind them on Myspace...I expect them there and I even have a player on myspace for myself that starts automatically, but like I said, I expect them at myspace! Lucky me, I always have headphones hooked up to my speakers so the rest of the house isn't blasted with unexpected music......just me!

Great poll Danyelle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

UUggghhh! The music is annoying. Especially when I'm trying to look at the blogs while at work ;) .

I just found out about Google Reader too. Who knew?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Sigh...yes, I am guilty. I am one of those tacky people who has a tip jar on my blog. And believe it or not, the first time I saw one on someone's blog I thought it was kind of tacky too.
I hope you're not feeling guilty or badly, Janine. Cuz, I'm one of those tacky tip jar people, too. ;) So, since we're tacky, we'll just hafta "stick together", eh?!

Quote:

. . . I have left it up because some folks actually want to contribute. They like what they get from my blog and want to give back. I don't get a huge amount in there and I don't expect people to contribute. . . .

So, anyway, that's why I have a tip jar and my guess is that is why other bloggers have one too. I am not making money off of unsuspecting passersby, I am not making a mint, and no, you don't have to put anything in there if you don't want to. The blog is still free to read. It's just there for those who feel moved to throw something in.
Ditto! :grin:

As to the OP, the only thing that really actually "turns me off a blog" is smack talk. I have no use for post pollution of that kind. But, it wasn't an option on the poll.

Music isn't a turn-off, but, it will frequently "discourage me" from visiting, because I prefer the option to turn it off.

Like Janine said, partial feeds "discourage me", because I often don't have the time, not because I'm not interested, to pop out of Google Reader to go read the full post . . . *sad*

It would be nice if people didn't have those little pop up things that spring out at me when my mouse hovers over something. The blog content may be good, but, if you can't even see it, you can't read it! And, I can never figure out how to disengage it, so I can read or see the stuff. So, I just leave and never revisit. It sounds like a cool widget in theory, but, it's one of those "visual clutter" things that actually prevents a reader from enjoying/seeing/or reading the actual blog content. *sad*

Of course, that's all up to the blog owner.

Here's a cool article I found for anyone interested in improving their blog's reader usability:

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...ogs-usability/

Last edited by JulieHRR; 04-22-2008 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Just north of Seattle, WA, land of coffee, rain, and geeks!

Hello all!

I LOVE Google reader! It's a great way to see all the blogs you like at once!

I hate music on blogs - it's always disruptive to me. I usually turn my computer to silent so I can read the blog in peace! It still seems to slow it, but it helps!

Jes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the list of people who don't like blog music. Most of it comes on way too loud and it's distracting since the computer isn't the only thing on at one time. I blurf while others are talking/watching TV/etc :-)

I didn't see this but I also really dislike those things that pop up when your mouse goes over it. It makes it hard for me to read it.

Since I generally read through google reader, most of these issues aren't a problem. I just feel bad that I won't click through or immediately exit when loud music blares at me--I wanna comment sometimes but it's not always convenient.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #38  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I hope you're not feeling guilty or badly, Janine. Cuz, I'm one of those tacky tip jar people, too. ;) So, since we're tacky, we'll just hafta "stick together", eh?!

Hee hee...I knew I was in good company! :mrgreen:

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll be the lone voice of dissent so far on the music issue. I normally hate being blasted by music that isn't my taste, but once in a while I'll hear a song that I love that I haven't heard in a long time and that is a bit of a treat for me. Kind of like when your favourite song comes on the radio. For me that makes up for the blast while I look for the pause button on the player. A blog I was on yesterday had a great song by Allison Krauss that I just loved hearing. So for me it balances out. I'll second the vote against pop-ups-with-mouse-hovers. I hate those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
And the only thing that I voted that bugs me is the music. I don't mind music players that are not turned on automatically...just don't want to be blasted if I click on your blog. I read most blogs through Google Reader, so I don't hear your music if you have your blog on full feed. But that's the one thing that you didn't have in your list, Danyelle...partial feeds. I have gotten to the point that unless your snippet of text showing in Google reader grabs my attention, I don't bother to click through to read it. (Unless you are Debbie Olsen...I'll always look at EVERYTHING she does!) I have a bunch of blogs in my reader (including Danyelle's!) and can't seem to resist adding more, so people who have their blog on a partial feed may not get their content read by me if I am in a hurry.
Tink does have an awesome typepad blog! I wanted to try typepad too, but I'm too dumb...I need a little guided automation in my pursuits. You leave your tip jar up there Jan and I'll just keep my disco ball and pole.
Reply With Quote Likes