Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memorial Book

Hi, guys, I have to make a memorial guest book for my aunt that just passed. It is going to be very simple, but I was wondering if anyone had ever made one before and what pages they put in. I am specifically looking for the pages where the friends and family sign in. Does anyone already have one that they could share with me? Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Do you have an album already or are you starting completely from scratch? We just bought one from the funeral home for my mom's funeral. I will remove the pages and "scrap" them into the eventual book with the cards and letters we recieved, funeral card, newspaper article, etc.

If you are starting from scratch, print out pages on nice paper in your printer like this:

1. Name:_____________________________
Address:_____________________________

2. and so on down the page... make in about 16 fonts size so there is room for people to write on the lines

Am I being any help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Use a three ring binder photo album from the LSS and chose one with a pretty cover - take out the plastic pages and replace with your printed sign in pages -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

THese are good ideas, thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Anything memorial I try to keep simple and keep the same theme/colors throughout. You want the stamping to be secondary to the memories. I've made memorial albums for my Mom, my Dad, and my two daughters. For each I chose a color scheme and one type of embellishment and kept it throughout their album. HTH.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Thanks everyone, I have a general idea of what I am going to do now. I know I can always count on this website to help me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just saw a wonderful one in the "accordian book" tutorial, that was done by the lady for a family member. check it out. take care. Gin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

I am actually going to be doing a memorial book for my aunt. Her son just passed away very suddenly. It won't be a guest book but I am going to have pictures of him throughout his life and I am also going to include the passages from the bible that were read at his funeral. Hope that gives you an idea for something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I highly recommend an accordion album. Last month I made two - one was a guest book for a wedding and the other was a memorial album for my grandparents. For the wedding book, the inner two pages were a free-style guest book (kind of like how you would sign a year book). I also included a box of square notes that guests could leave well wishes for the bride and groom. For my grandparents' memorial album, the inner two pages were a copy of their memorial/obit write up.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to see pics.
Charlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Default Memorial ideas

I saw this on the creating keepsakes magazine website and thought it might help generate more ideas for creating a memorial book.

Document your loved one�s handwriting.
Use a favorite poem.
Talk about a lesson you learned from your loved one.
Do a random layout with bits and pieces about your loved one.
Record some of your loved one�s trademark sayings.
Scrapbook the eulogy (if someone wrote it down).
Include your loved one�s favorite song or artist.
Pick your top five favorite pictures of your loved one and scrapbook them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Red face Memorial Ideas

I personnally like a memorial book to be a book about their life and not about their death, although that cannot be avoided in the telling of the story. I like the book to lead up to that part. I recently fininshed scrapbooking my Uncle's war letters from WWII, where he died at age 20 as a flyer. I had no pictures, but researched by reading the letters then putting the diary together. Finally, I heavily used internet pictures of retro events and stickers, stamps etc. to chronicle the book. I used a military and red/white/blue theme throughout. Since I did not want to damage the integrity of the original documents, baby book to obits, I made "color" copies which created the same old look. I covered a flip lid box with the same theme to contain the documents, and made it the same size as the 12 X 12 book. Therefore, the book becomes part of the cover but can be removed for viewing. I am very pleased with the results. In the process, I felt I spent a lot of time getting to know this person I had never met.

Again, memorialize a life not a death and you will have an awesome book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Smile Memorialize the Life-I hope I'm ready

Memorialize the Life: Thank you for sharing this. My younger son Joshua was killed in 1999 at age 27 in Keystone, Colorado, in a ski accident. I have yet to create his memorial book although I have made a number of false starts. I don't have a scrapbook prepared either. Every time I start, emotionally my heart stutters, and I've had to put aside the pictures.

I will be celebrating 2 years as a breast cancer survivor on April 26th, and just celebrated my 60th birthday yesteday so I'm aware that I don't have forever to create The Book of Joshua for his older brother who still has not come to terms with his baby brother's death.

I NEED to do this: for Ben, for myself, and in a sense for Joshua. Joshua was a real "piece of work" with a lot of charisma, and there are many "Joshua" stories that I want to record.

I'm hoping this year will be the year that I CAN do it. I think maybe I need to tell myself just one page or one Christmas or one topic at a time, instead of always starting with the idea that I'm creating THE BOOK.

Thank you for sharing the huge project that you undertook for your uncle.
Cheers!!!
SharonK- Crystal, MN

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
I personnally like a memorial book to be a book about their life and not about their death, although that cannot be avoided in the telling of the story. I like the book to lead up to that part. I recently fininshed scrapbooking my Uncle's war letters from WWII, where he died at age 20 as a flyer. I had no pictures, but researched by reading the letters then putting the diary together. Finally, I heavily used internet pictures of retro events and stickers, stamps etc. to chronicle the book. I used a military and red/white/blue theme throughout. Since I did not want to damage the integrity of the original documents, baby book to obits, I made "color" copies which created the same old look. I covered a flip lid box with the same theme to contain the documents, and made it the same size as the 12 X 12 book. Therefore, the book becomes part of the cover but can be removed for viewing. I am very pleased with the results. In the process, I felt I spent a lot of time getting to know this person I had never met.

Again, memorialize a life not a death and you will have an awesome book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Memorialize a life

The key for me was to do the research and write a chronilogical diary of sorts in snippits, that would later become each pages theme. Once that was done, I took the snippit or two if they were related and located pictures or resources, like first haircut snip etc that would go with that and put them in a folder numbered page 1, etc. When it came to making the book, I simply pulled out the next few folders and worked the pages. The emotion was poured into the preparation, making the scrapbooking part fun. I was emotional, but seriously, if you don't get emotional doing a project of this significance you really aren't doing it justice! Make the folder creating part a family project which will inspire lots of story telling and insight you may not come up with on your own. I am sure therapists would call this whole process healing and theraputic for all.

OK, so maybe I am somewhat of an over organized overachiever, but hey it works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I love all the ideas everyone has posted for the memorial book - I just assumed that Karen was creating a guest book, in a hurry, for the service. I will refer to this thread for all the ideas as I create my mom's book. Karen, sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

If this is a guest sign in book it would be nice to add
a nice photo of the person. One that they would like
to be remembered by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I think having people write their favorite memory or two of the person who passed away would be a great way to remember.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

You guys have such awesome ideas. I was looking for a book for people to sign in when they got to the memorial service, but I love all the other wonderful ideas here, also. Thank you so much for all your input.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes