Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:52 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Copic or SU Write Markers?

Being new to SU I am trying to determine the diff btwn markers. Which is preferred? Copic or SU Write Markers and what is the difference btwn the two? I am asking because I have not used either one yet & I have potential customers asking me. I have always used Tombows, so I am not familiar w/these. I just joined SU within the week & new learning a lot of this stuff about markers.

I am a life artist and love it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 04:02 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are totally different products with different uses.

SU-water based, can use directly on rubber stamps (very useful for coloring one stamp with several different colors). Match/coordinate with all SU colors; relatively inexpensive.

Copics-alcohol based, dry really fast so can't use on rubber. Expensive. Big advantage: blendable; can get beautiful shading without the "lines" that most markers leave behind.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is a big diff! I guess it depends on preference then; alcohol or water based..Sounds like u use the Copic for coloring in a stamped image since u can't use them on rubber...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
That is a big diff! I guess it depends on preference then; alcohol or water based..Sounds like u use the Copic for coloring in a stamped image since u can't use them on rubber...
Yes...you can get some really nice, watercolor type effects with them.

As a SU demo I would definitely acquire the SU ones first...preferably all at once, since you get such a nice case and those are hard to find elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
Being new to SU I am trying to determine the diff btwn markers. Which is preferred? Copic or SU Write Markers and what is the difference btwn the two? I am asking because I have not used either one yet & I have potential customers asking me. I have always used Tombows, so I am not familiar w/these. I just joined SU within the week & new learning a lot of this stuff about markers.
Maybe I'm in left field....and i'm not at home, so can't go look at my markers or the catalog....but recognize that SU sells two types of markers. They have the big box, of the 48 colors...these are the water based markers, same in as the classic ink pads. They also sell journaling markers. These are a permanent marker....won't bleed with water....don't use them on a stamp...

The copics are really nice. I want more copics...but i also wouldn't trade my SU markers. Both have different uses, and different abilities. It's kind of like I really like my 9x13 baking dish....but I still want my 9 inch circular pans too?

does that help?

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I've never bought the SU markers, but I've used them at a stamp get-together with friends who had them. Thing is, they are just not that effective when coloring in a stamped image, unless you're using a water brush, and the effect is still flat and streaky. I do have the Copic Markers (quite a few now), and I'm so in love with the results that I would never be tempted with the SU markers now. Love the results with just a soft touch directly on to the stamped image. I still have my Tombows if I want to color directly on to the rubber.

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #7  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love my SU markers, but you really can't color in images uless they are small because they will leave stroke marks. I will use them for smqall images though.

I did extensive testing and was able to replicate the Copic marker look with SU re-inkers. If you want to read my tutorial and scientific findings, you can read it HERE. There are a couple posts after that one that show finished cards colored using this technique. I named it Drunken Watercolor.

Also wanted to add that you CAN color on stamps with Copic markers. GinaK showed something on her blog where she colored on the stamp with Copics, then misted with alcohol instead of water and got a very nice result. As long as you clean your stamp well right away that would be fine! HERE is GinaK's tutorial.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

You said that you have used Tombow markers.. well SU markers are manufactured by Tombow. The brush tips are almost exactly the same. The fine tips are different. The SU tips are more for writing (just don't write too hard as they will spray). so if you like the Tombows.. you will like the SU ones as well.

I have had my SU markers for almost five years. I love them dearly. I am only now starting to replace them since the brushes are wearing out from overuse. So I absolutely recommend them. They are excellent for coloring and shading can be done with them by layering the color and using blender pens as well. And you can't beat that they are matches to the inks, paper and other SU accessories.

I do own copics as well (I have to keep up with the spending trends.. ;) ). I love them for the variety of colors and such. There is a learning curve to them and I totally recommend buying one or two and trying them first.

It's all a matter of preference and what you are going to do with them. Are you going to color primarily? or do you want to use them to ink up stamp pads. As an SU demo, I would recommend investing in your own business first and then expanding out later.

good luck with your decision. I bought my markers back when I was a customer.. and never regretted the decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I originally ordered all of the SU Stampin' write markers when I became a demo, and I still love them. I love that you can color directly on the stamp, or match your journaling color to your cardstock or other embellishments.

However, I don't think that SU markers are effective for coloring in large stamped images. For this reason, I love Copic markers. I buy a lot of Whipper Snapper stamps, and they are wonderful for coloring in these images. They are expensive, but if you add to your collection a little at a time, soon you'll have all the markers you need.

When I first started buying Copics, I used an SU color match chart to buy Copics that matched my SU colors. I will attatch it to this post.

HTH!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Copics vs SU.doc (25.0 KB, 318 views)
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I would suggest Copics for coloring, but if you want direct to rubber SU Markers are the way to go. Personally I reach for my copics more and I have had fun playing with them (if you want to see video tutorials on blending, please see my blog).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The differences between Copics & water-based markers

From one of many, many discussions here about the two!

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

i read the tutorial on TEXASJODYLYNN's blog on how to copy the Copics and so i did some playing around and may need to do more but on my whisper white paper i stamped my image and used the aquapen (or alchypen now ...hee hee 8-) and covered the image first then went over it with the SU! marker....the color and look was quite different...went from grainy to smooth....still saw SOME lines and i hope its not ruining my marker by doing that either...but just thought i would share....im on the hunt for a new technique too!...thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

That tutorial of Gina's was interesting! I've wondered if the Copics would work on direct-to-rubber use if Versamark or embossing fluid were applied to the stamp before coloring with the marker(s)...would it keep the ink wet and/or make it easy to clean the stamp?

Of course, as with so many things, I "wonder" more than I "do," lol.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
That tutorial of Gina's was interesting! I've wondered if the Copics would work on direct-to-rubber use if Versamark or embossing fluid were applied to the stamp before coloring with the marker(s)...would it keep the ink wet and/or make it easy to clean the stamp?

Of course, as with so many things, I "wonder" more than I "do," lol.....
ROTFLMBO!!!

Yikes, Betsy, me, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Here is a GREAT tutorial for how to use your SU! markers to look like you colored with copics. If you plan to demo, I would definitely invest in the SU! markers first. They will do a lot.

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I was having the same debate with myself. I went with the SU markers (I bought the whole box) because can demo them, which I can't do with the Copics. I found a tutorial by reneejul1 that is called No Copics??, No Problem!, and it is great. You use your SU markers on watercolor paper and you don't see coloring lines. You also used the Aquapainter to blend and it looks fabulous. HTH!

Check out My Gallery!

Proud Army wife!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sent in my first order w/SU this weekend. I went ahead & purchased the entire set of SU markers. Sounds like the majority of you really like them & I figure that I may as well have the merchandise that I demo with to sell. Can't wait to get them! Thanks so much for the advice and all the tutorials!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Hi there...
I've had my girlfriends tell me that while the latest rage is all about Copics...there were a couple things to keep in mind...at the LSS where they took a class...you need to use special paper for the Copics to really work..the blending needs to be done quickly....and it can get pretty expensive as they're $7 each...I'm not really big into colouring so I'm going to pass on the Copics for now..Just my two cents worth.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

HELL WITH GET THEM BOTH THEN THEIRS NO DEBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I have to have them all... all of the SU markers... alll of the copics and then just to hedge my bet... why not get the prisma color ones too... ya can't take it with ya!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

u all are very enabling...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogers2345View Post
HELL WITH GET THEM BOTH THEN THEIRS NO DEBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhhhh, THANK YOU!!!! That was hysterically good!

My sides hurt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynnView Post
I love my SU markers, but you really can't color in images uless they are small because they will leave stroke marks. I will use them for smqall images though.

I did extensive testing and was able to replicate the Copic marker look with SU re-inkers. If you want to read my tutorial and scientific findings, you can read it HERE. There are a couple posts after that one that show finished cards colored using this technique. I named it Drunken Watercolor.

Also wanted to add that you CAN color on stamps with Copic markers. GinaK showed something on her blog where she colored on the stamp with Copics, then misted with alcohol instead of water and got a very nice result. As long as you clean your stamp well right away that would be fine! HERE is GinaK's tutorial.

HTH
I am so impressed with all the info and pictures on your blog. I can't wait to try this! Thank you so much.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow! Now I am really confused.....are COPICS the same as DECOCOLOR markers? I think I have seen them referred to as DECS....Help please!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have them both. :cool:. I like them both and use them for different purposes.

They are not the same critter, it's apples and oranges, you cannot ask me to compare. A lot of the reasons have been stated, and the biggest one is the alcohol vs. dye ink.

With Copics, it is easy for me to get a nice blended look for coloring without a lot of work. I use WW, no special marker paper here, and I am happy with the way the Copics work for coloring and drawing.

If you are starting out, I would probably go with SU. It's cheaper, and if you are a demo, it's a good way to get all the colors without springing for all the pads. Plus, I have found that I rarely use ink pad colors (just a few favorites) and use direct to rubber with the markers. So, you can save space by getting pads in your favorites and basics and using the markers the rest of the time.

Another thought - I unmount most of my rubber stamps. If you are using acrylic blocks, the alcohol spray in Gina's method will craze your blocks eventually, and make them hard or impossible to see through. This may not matter if you did not pay a lot for your blocks, but I have a whole collection of CTMH blocks that costs more than the SU markers! It is not a risk I am willing to take, so I stick to my dye inks for direct to rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to Celtichck30

Are Prisma color markers comparable to Copics or SU Markers? I have the whole set of SU and was wondering if I should get some others now. I love the SU markers, but I have being using the Prisma Colored Pencils with Gamsol alot lately.

Visit my new blog: http://christydsdesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #27  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by McStamperView Post
I am so impressed with all the info and pictures on your blog. I can't wait to try this! Thank you so much.
Thanks, Barb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenrnView Post
When I first started buying Copics, I used an SU color match chart to buy Copics that matched my SU colors. I will attatch it to this post.

HTH!
This is a great list! You should post it over on the Lists and Charts page!! I looked there first but I didn't find it. (That doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I didn't find it.) ;)

Thanks!!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

WoW! Now I HAVE TO HAVE THE COPICS TOO!
Just for my 2 cents...I love the Twin color brush pens by Zig and the LePlume 2 markers by Marvy...just more fun colors to play with..these are both water based pens...but sometimes my SU markers just aren't the colors I am looking for!
So anyone got any ideas how i can get my husband to believe when I say I don't have enough markers! I NEED THE COPIC MARKERS TOO!!!! Without a lot of whine in my voice???
LOL!
Good advice and info on this subject by the way BRavo everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenrnView Post
I originally ordered all of the SU Stampin' write markers when I became a demo, and I still love them. I love that you can color directly on the stamp, or match your journaling color to your cardstock or other embellishments.

However, I don't think that SU markers are effective for coloring in large stamped images. For this reason, I love Copic markers. I buy a lot of Whipper Snapper stamps, and they are wonderful for coloring in these images. They are expensive, but if you add to your collection a little at a time, soon you'll have all the markers you need.

When I first started buying Copics, I used an SU color match chart to buy Copics that matched my SU colors. I will attach it to this post.

HTH!
Thanks this chart will be a great help.
One tiny correction. Real Red = Strong red is R46 not RY6 . There is no RY group

Thanks again!
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

just an fyi su markers are $3.50 each and copic ciaos are only $3.22 if you buy them online so if you want to try copic you can get ciao markers in many colors (it is the sketch markers that hold more ink and come in more colors that are more expensive at $4.87)

as for my opinion on which to get- if you are an su demo then get the su markers and use them directly on stamps, for journaling, and to make your images multi colored. most of su!'s artwork stamps have very tight or small areas to color so you can still use su markers for coloring in their images

if you are a die hard lover of open line image stamps and want to color them in beautifully, then I highly recommend copics if you are willing to invest and learn how to use them correctly

Last edited by Michellena317; 04-06-2011 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: addtl info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

As a fairly new stamper I don't think it is either or because they both have different uses and appearances. It would be like asking if you should buy a kettle or a frying pan.
I suppose you could fry an egg in a kettle, but a frying pan would be more efficient .

I don't have a complete set of SU markers. I bought a few of my most used colors in individual markers. I use them to color as well as directly on stamps. The SU markers give a watercolor appearance while the Copics give a painted appearance. Sometimes using a marker directly on the stamp works better when you have a very small stamp.
I made background paper using the pine cone from the "Lovely As A Tree " set. I colored it with Chocolate Chip and Old Olive markers so I stamp the two-color image in one go.

I know they say you can use Copics directly on rubber stamps, but because they are alcohol based I worry the alcohol may dry out the rubber.
If you only plan to buy one brand at this time I would start with the SU markers since you are a demo.
Just my 2 �
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracee619View Post
Just for my 2 cents...I love the Twin color brush pens by Zig and the LePlume 2 markers by Marvy...just more fun colors to play with..these are both water based pens...but sometimes my SU markers just aren't the colors I am looking for!

So anyone got any ideas how i can get my husband to believe when I say I don't have enough markers! I NEED THE COPIC MARKERS TOO!!!! Without a lot of whine in my voice???
LOL!
what are his hobbies?
how many fishing rods are enough?
how many golf clubs are enough?
how many skis are enough?
how many saws,routers,etc are enough?
and then we have the hunting supplies-please!
i will never catch up to my DH!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I know they say you can use Copics directly on rubber stamps, but because they are alcohol based I worry the alcohol may dry out the rubber.
As long as you clean the Copic ink off the stamp with Copic blending solution or alcohol then condition it with stamp cleaner afterward your stamps will be fine. I use Hero Arts Stamp cleaner on all my stamps and it helps to keep them conditioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracee619View Post
LOL!
You may want to try my Mother's technique for getting what she wanted . When she wanted something she would say something like this. "I went over to Helen's house today and saw the new ____________ ( fill in the blank) that Jim bought for her. That was so wonderful of him to buy it for her and those things are not cheap. She is so lucky to have Jim" " Now my Father never wanted to be out done by another man so in no time my Mother had the new Mixer or what ever she was admiring. LOL When she got what she wanted she would say, "Oh I can't wait to have the girls over and show them what you bought for me" So he got more strokes imagining the girls thinking what a great guy he was LOL

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-06-2011 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #36  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just told my husband that copics were 2.99 each, and I purchased them a dozen or so at a time. He never really paid attention. That's the way to go at my house! Copics are so much better than SU markers, if you like to colour your images.

Reply With Quote Likes