Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #2161  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
soooooo...I finally joined the cricut ranks, bought a create on Ebay for 39.00...now....can anyone let me know what are some "must have, basic" carts? I love scrolls and that type of thing, and also forms to use for matting.

And now I am looking for a gypsy at a good price as well
Good luck.....lol

I'm a "newbie" too with an E2, and my "must have basic carts" grew quickly before my machine even arrived! I now have probably over 30 -40 carts! Is that bad or what??? I must say though, I got a lot through great, cheap sales and ebay! So, price was a deal, even less than $20 on a lot of them!

To answer your question, some of my favorites for those matting and scroll looks are: Lacey Labels, Damask Decor, Elegant Edges, Elegant Cake Art ( for borders) and for scrolls, Cindy Loo, Accent Essentials & Cricut Essentials.

There are really so many more to share and more that I could mention but these are a few to start with. You would be surprised at how versatile the carts are and what they can do! There are also some like Celebrate with Flourish & Quarter Note that you could even remove the flourishes off of the main design if you wanted, since the flourish is so detailed. Your imagination is unlimited..... At cricut.com under information and library, you can "view" the booklet and see what's contained for each cartridge.

Good luck in your choices and have fun with your new toy, I know I am......
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #2162  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
Good luck.....lol

I'm a "newbie" too with an E2, and my "must have basic carts" grew quickly before my machine even arrived! I now have probably over 30 -40 carts! Is that bad or what??? I must say though, I got a lot through great, cheap sales and ebay! So, price was a deal, even less than $20 on a lot of them!

To answer your question, some of my favorites for those matting and scroll looks are: Lacey Labels, Damask Decor, Elegant Edges, Elegant Cake Art ( for borders) and for scrolls, Cindy Loo, Accent Essentials & Cricut Essentials.

There are really so many more to share and more that I could mention but these are a few to start with. You would be surprised at how versatile the carts are and what they can do! There are also some like Celebrate with Flourish & Quarter Note that you could even remove the flourishes off of the main design if you wanted, since the flourish is so detailed. Your imagination is unlimited..... At cricut.com under information and library, you can "view" the booklet and see what's contained for each cartridge.

Good luck in your choices and have fun with your new toy, I know I am......
Thanks for the information : ) Can't wait to get the machine and try it out, will check out the carts you recommended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #2163  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by partyof5_123View Post
Can someone clarify this for me? I thought if I update the cricut, it updates the firmware which makes it incompatible with SCAL.
I would not update your Cricut firmware if you intend on using SCAL on the Expression. If you have the Expression 2, then it is a moot point because you can't use SCAL (or any 3rd party software) with the Expression 2. Also, you can't use SCAL3 on any Cricut machine. In order to continuing being able to use the Expression with SCAL, you cannot update your machine.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #2164  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieMacScrapView Post
I would not update your Cricut firmware if you intend on using SCAL on the Expression. If you have the Expression 2, then it is a moot point because you can't use SCAL (or any 3rd party software) with the Expression 2. Also, you can't use SCAL3 on any Cricut machine. In order to continuing being able to use the Expression with SCAL, you cannot update your machine.

Hope that helps.

But you CAN do the Font Pack updates - just not the firmware or Cricut Design Studio updates.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #2165  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Thanks, Shell. It's good to know that it's OK to update my Cricut when I need to without worrying that it will block SCAL.

No, no. Cricut won't support SCAL, but CraftEdge will support the SCAL for Cricut. I would NOT update the Cricut firmware if you are using SCAL.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #2166  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Ladies... and gents
I have a few questions, I have read as much as I can but still not sure about anything.
I bought a Create at Xmas and have hardly used it, so I am VERY inexperienced with it so far. I also bought SCAL 2 at Xmas and have yet to use that at all.
So.....I need to know what I should and should not do, to make sure my SCAL2 will work for me. I sort of saw things about firmware (which I really dont know about) and updates.
Can I update my Create? If No, or even yes, is updating something I would actually have to seek out and do myself, or would it ever just pop up on my screen and I would have to say yes or no to update?? Im so confused about all this with the stuff going on with SCAL 2. Especially since I have never even tried to use SCAL yet and very little experience with my Create so far, so understanding all this makes it harder. Also the firmware?? What is it that I should or should not do??
I would like to install and start to try and use SCAL 2, but now Im afraid I might do something wrong to make it not work. I know there are many great tutorials on using SCAL, which I have been watching, but are there any videos out there that talks about all this stuff??
Be gentle on me lol I want to be able to understand everything.
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #2167  
Insane Embellisher

I don't know much about SCAL, except that you are not supposed to update the Cricut Firmware, because it will block SCAL from working, or something like that.

I do know that if you do not update your firmware, you can happily continue using SCAL and your Create.

How to update firmware? Your Create has to be plugged into your computer, you go to the PC website and follow the steps. I haven't linked my machines in a long time, I don't know that I remember how either. Someone here will know the exact steps, they're really good about such stuff.

I would strongly suggest that you get out your Create, some scrap papers and your Instruction Booklet and re-familiarize yourself with the buttons and how the machine works.

Then do the same thing with SCAL, I am sure there are instructions either by book or by you-tube and practice using the program too.

In no time, you'll be really comfortable using the Create and SCAL.

Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #2168  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Smile

My poor cricut seems to be collecting dust, mostly because of losing the stickiness of the mats. Have tried several different things that have been suggested but... do recall a very long time ago that there was a video on how to prepare the mat to keep the stickiness as soon as you purchase it. Does anyone remember such a video? Thanks
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #2169  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by caterinafmigView Post
My poor cricut seems to be collecting dust, mostly because of losing the stickiness of the mats. Have tried several different things that have been suggested but... do recall a very long time ago that there was a video on how to prepare the mat to keep the stickiness as soon as you purchase it. Does anyone remember such a video? Thanks
After some trial-and-error, I found a repositionable spray adhesive that works very well. It's called Scotch Repositionable Spray Mount, and it comes in a big red can. I don't know if it's available in a smaller size. You can buy it at the larger craft stores for $14. I know that's kind of expensiv;, but you can use a coupon on it, and it lasts quite awhile. Just remember to tape off the edges of the mat, and let the glue dry completely before using it or putting the plastic cover sheet back on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #2170  
Insane Embellisher

One trick that helps keep the adhesive sticky is putting the correct side of the clear plastic cover on each and every time......

Yeah, how do you do that, you ask??? I asked to, but this trick is so simple, and has really helped me.

Open the plastic bag the mats come in. DO NOT peel the cover off either mat.

Get a sharpie or other permanent marker, pick a corner of the mat (the green part, away from the sticky part).

Peel the clear plastic cover back just enough to expose the corner of the mat and make a mark, using the permanent pen. A letter, a square, a number, doesn't matter, just give each mat a different number, letter or shape.

Put the plastic back over the green mat. Pick up the permanent marker and write on the clear plastic cover, tracing right over the mark on the green mat.

This way, when you pull the plastic off, and go to put it back on, you are sure the cover goes back on the same way each time.

Does this make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #2171  
Glitter Guru

awesome tip I have been using mine for 5 years why didn't I think of that. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2View Post
One trick that helps keep the adhesive sticky is putting the correct side of the clear plastic cover on each and every time......

Yeah, how do you do that, you ask??? I asked to, but this trick is so simple, and has really helped me.

Open the plastic bag the mats come in. DO NOT peel the cover off either mat.

Get a sharpie or other permanent marker, pick a corner of the mat (the green part, away from the sticky part).

Peel the clear plastic cover back just enough to expose the corner of the mat and make a mark, using the permanent pen. A letter, a square, a number, doesn't matter, just give each mat a different number, letter or shape.

Put the plastic back over the green mat. Pick up the permanent marker and write on the clear plastic cover, tracing right over the mark on the green mat.

This way, when you pull the plastic off, and go to put it back on, you are sure the cover goes back on the same way each time.

Does this make sense?
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #2172  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Smile

Thanks for the tips, ladies.
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #2173  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Looking for SVG files

I'm hoping someone can help me find the svg files to make these cute decorations. I've PM'd the poster but have not heard back.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #2174  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHappyInCTView Post
I'm hoping someone can help me find the svg files to make these cute decorations. I've PM'd the poster but have not heard back.

Thanks!
I just got an e-mail from scrappingtable.com a couple of days ago with these same files.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #2175  
Crimping Master

I am sure this had been answered but really don't have the patience to go through all 59 pages to find it ...........I recently bought a Cricut and have been getting a few cartridges here and there - (of course some that I want are hard to find) - but anyways back on topic - are all the cartridges interchangeable within the machines - for example can you use the cake ones in the original machine - they look alike but haven't been able to find the answer on the Provo website! Thanks in advance for any info anyone has.....would hate to buy one to find out I can't use it in my machine when they are not returnable once opened!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #2176  
Glitter Guru

They are except for the imagine cartridges. Ohmycrafts.com has good prices. If you sign up for emails you get a discount code also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #2177  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmtinsleyView Post
They are except for the imagine cartridges. Ohmycrafts.com has good prices. If you sign up for emails you get a discount code also.
Was just on their site and this is what I found: :(

"Due to significant price increases by Provo Craft, and changes to the way they are supporting their internet-sales distribution channel, we are not able to offer Cricut brand products after this week. We hope that in the future, Provo Craft will again allow us to serve you by carrying Cricut products."

and they have pulled all the cricut off their site.............:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #2178  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardLadyTooView Post
Was just on their site and this is what I found: :(

"Due to significant price increases by Provo Craft, and changes to the way they are supporting their internet-sales distribution channel, we are not able to offer Cricut brand products after this week. We hope that in the future, Provo Craft will again allow us to serve you by carrying Cricut products."

and they have pulled all the cricut off their site.............:(
Well, that's another reason to boycott PC! They are hurting themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #2179  
Rubber Obsessor

I used to get a;ot of my carts there. I was wondering why they weren't offering any specials on them lately. Then I found out why when I found that message on their site. However I have also gotten good deals on a site called Custom Crops. They sometimes run specials, and have better prices than the hobby stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #2180  
Rubber Obsessor

Have any of you seen the new cricut project carts? And do you know where you can get them? I saw them on the Pink Stamper.com site. I am wondering if they are going to be exclusive to a store like the cricut lite ones are to Wal-Mart? Cricut.com has them for $29.99 which isn't that bad depending on how much is on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #2181  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts
Talking

I was just in a LSS, and saw a plastic container that holds Cricut cartridges and the book & key pad in a kit. Holds about 12. Has anyone used these containers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #2182  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I haven't seen the new cartridges at JoAnn's or my local Wal Mart.

For too many reasons, I don't buy on-line anymore, so I'm sure hoping these cartridges are sold at stores in the future.

Cartridge storage units, I don't use them, my reasoning is I can use the money for the cartridge holders to buy more cartridges. LOL!!!

I have all my cartridges linked to my Gypsy so I don't need to pull out cartridges anymore, and the handbooks are one my i-touch & my i-phone so I don't use the handbooks either. I have 146 cartridges, they're all stored away in a cabinet where I can get to them if I have too, but I rarely need to.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #2183  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinCCView Post
Have any of you seen the new cricut project carts? And do you know where you can get them? I saw them on the Pink Stamper.com site. I am wondering if they are going to be exclusive to a store like the cricut lite ones are to Wal-Mart? Cricut.com has them for $29.99 which isn't that bad depending on how much is on them.
I got some of the new Project carts at a pre-order price at memorymiser.com. They have them at a special for the pre-order of $24.99. It's a bit of a savings off the regular price, so if you're buying a couple of them, three will get you free shipping.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #2184  
Glitter Guru

How do you get your handbooks on your touch?

Quote:

Hi!
I haven't seen the new cartridges at JoAnn's or my local Wal Mart.

For too many reasons, I don't buy on-line anymore, so I'm sure hoping these cartridges are sold at stores in the future.

Cartridge storage units, I don't use them, my reasoning is I can use the money for the cartridge holders to buy more cartridges. LOL!!!

I have all my cartridges linked to my Gypsy so I don't need to pull out cartridges anymore, and the handbooks are one my i-touch & my i-phone so I don't use the handbooks either. I have 146 cartridges, they're all stored away in a cabinet where I can get to them if I have too, but I rarely need to.

Hope this helps
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #2185  
Stampin' Fool

Oops, for the containers, I use Scrap 'n Tote's binders to hold mine. They're easy to get to, and they hold a lot!! Good deal for the money. I don't have over 100 so a couple have worked fine for me...... and, I use the books even though I have my Gypsy, it's easier for me to see in the booklet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #2186  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sami02uscView Post
How do you get your handbooks on your touch?
I would like to know too!

I have a Gypsy and an Expression 2 but I still like to flip through the booklets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #2187  
Insane Embellisher

I have an app called "Good Reader"

from inside the app you can download PDF files

I downloaded both options from PC from the Cricut Library. So I have the view that is the back of the box, and the complete handbook to go with the cartridge. Works great, once saved on my phone I can flip through the pages, zoom in and zoom out.

I'm sure the handbooks look better on an ipad, but I won't be getting one of those anytime soon, so the phone works for me.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #2188  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanetJView Post
I was just in a LSS, and saw a plastic container that holds Cricut cartridges and the book & key pad in a kit. Holds about 12. Has anyone used these containers?
I think I have the ones you are talking about - they look kind of like the 12x12 boxes that you use for paper, but they have the white inserts to hold the carts and books?

They're ok - they are pretty good for storage in my studio, but they were kind of bulky for taking to a crop. A friend of mine has the ones from Provocraft that hold 12 and I'm actually thinking about getting a couple of those. That, or the one from cgull that matches my rolling bag; probably the PC ones though b/c they are cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #2189  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I downloaded both options from PC from the Cricut Library. So I have the view that is the back of the box, and the complete handbook to go with the cartridge. Works great, once saved on my phone I can flip through the pages, zoom in and zoom out.

I'm sure the handbooks look better on an ipad, but I won't be getting one of those anytime soon, so the phone works for me.

Hope this helps
That's exactly what I did; I have them on my iPad. Goodreader is definitely one of the best apps for PDFs. You can also put PDFs into iBooks if you don't want to use GoodReader.

I didn't realize the box pictures were on the PC website though - I'm going to have to get them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #2190  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Hope this helps
This sounds awesome! I know what my new project is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #2191  
Glitter Queen

This really has nothing to do with the thread, but I was wondering if you could tell me what this means. I just tried to update my gypsy, and my computer reads:
UPLOADING UPDATES Gypsy Imagine-content-full
There is no moving lines (as in actively updating. I left the computer on and left my home because it was taking so so long. I came home to this message on the screen.)
The gypsy hand held gadget still says connected. Do you know if I should disconnect, and have to go through the entire process again? CRICUT.COM is closed for the long weekend. Would you be able to help me with your past experience regarding the uploading update process? Hope you can help. Thank you. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #2192  
Glitter Guru

I don't have a gypsy or I would help hopefully someone can help you, good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by sincerelyforyouView Post
This really has nothing to do with the thread, but I was wondering if you could tell me what this means. I just tried to update my gypsy, and my computer reads:
There is no moving lines (as in actively updating. I left the computer on and left my home because it was taking so so long. I came home to this message on the screen.)
The gypsy hand held gadget still says connected. Do you know if I should disconnect, and have to go through the entire process again? CRICUT.COM is closed for the long weekend. Would you be able to help me with your past experience regarding the uploading update process? Hope you can help. Thank you. Diane
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #2193  
Insane Embellisher

Diane,
I'm assuming by now you've simply unplugged your Gypsy from the computer. That's what I had to do when I did the last update process.

If you do not own an imagine do not download the imagine content (takes up memory space you won't be using).

My Gypsy sat in the cycle for over an hour and I got frustrated and unplugged it. Then I turned the Gypsy off, turned it back on, did the sync again (not doing the imagine update since I don't have one either) and it showed up to date and everything worked well.

Try, that and see if it's working fine.

On the Provo Craft message board there is a Gypsy dedicated forum if you need more help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #2194  
Glitter Queen

Thank you so much LadyBugStamper2. Yes, I only have the expressions, so shall call Cricut and see when to unplug from the computer. Thanks again. Have a great 4th of July!
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #2195  
Embossing Fanatic

i am looking for a disney tip sheet for the cricut. my husband loves going to disney so he thought i should have all the disney character cartiages to scrapbook our vacations too. which is great but i am unclear how to get the different layers i want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #2196  
Gabfest Goddess

Do a google search, several come up. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #2197  
Gabfest Goddess

There are also some great videos on YouTube about the layering technique. Check um out. Just search Disney and cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #2198  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by sincerelyforyouView Post
Diane,

I couldn't get my Gypsy to update either (I have both an Exprssion and Expression 2). I finally called the Cricut Support # 1-877-727-4288 and was told that the port in my Gypsy was not working. I have to return it for a replacement. The customer service was excellent. I would suggest you call them with your porblem. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #2199  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Marsh730. I ended up calling cricut support too, and yes they were helpful, and so patient. I wish I had the problem earlier in the work week. They would've been available to take my call before the long weekend. Live and learn, and plan well. Thanks again Marsh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #2200  
Insane Embellisher

HL has the Slice repositional spray adhesive @ 50% off this week and I was wondering if this spray can be used on the Cricut mats to hold the paper in place will the machine is cutting? Can anyone tell me? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes