Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guilty of not sending.
I have a history (it's genetic, I swear) of procrastination.
Good intentions, but I've always had a hard time getting things to the mailbox!
Must work on that!
SCS #13363
60----+----50----(+)----40----+----30----+----20----+----10----+----0
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 03:04 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

I only make stuff as I need them... well, most of the time.

I recently made my parents a scrapbook of me collecting and pitting ginkgo nuts from my front lawn. I loved the album, so much it ripped me apart when I sent it to them. I had to repeat to myself, "That's ok, I can visit it when I visit them." But it still broke my heart... like I lost a loved one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 03:13 PM   #43  
Gabfest Goddess

At first, I sent none. Now, as long as I've scanned it I can part with it......because I can recreate it from my picture if I need to.

But, that being said....after making swaps for regionals, I may never duplicate another card again!!!!! :shock:

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree. I always make 2 or 3 of each. That was I can always keep one. :lol:

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 04:08 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Oh well

I thought no one would ever ask. LOL :lol:

I hate to actually tell this but..............I went through all the things I've read here including, hating to let go, wishing I had this one or another of that one so..........I started to make extras. First it was 4 then 6 now its 8. I always put one in an album I keep for the cards I make. I found it actually improved my skills because of the repetition. I send some to friends as needed, but then there are special requests like:

The lady I know whose son was in Iraq last Christmas and we sent his group Christmas cards, or the SU stamper who delivers cards to Walter Reed Hospital and the SU stamper who wanted to surprise her husband's fellow soldiers for Christmas, and the SU Demo in South Carolina who delivers them all the time for soldiers in Iraq.

I've been able to mail hundreds of cards because I always make extras and store them. I always sign them on the back with my initials and year. Its as much of an addiction for me as purchasing the stamps, etc. I found making more doesn't take that much more time.
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no trouble parting with the cards I make. I send them to friends and family and sell quite a few at school. I never make duplicates and don't even save the scans after I upload them to my gallery. Even my Christmas cards are all one-of-a-kind! There are so many new ideas and techniques to try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #47  
HB
Mad Swapper

Wow, I must be waaaay out in left field. I send out all the cards I make. I very seldom make the same card twice (except for holidays when I make and send a ton of cards). The biggest, funnest, part of stamping is in the creating, so if I don't remember what I made already, I have to create something new, right?

My SCS gallery: HB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 06:14 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Default "Put (card)duplicates in my box to sell" Tell me

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarLitStudio
I part with the ones I make but never with the ones I receive that are handmade.

If I make something that I feel is special, I will save it and show at workshops for that month. Then I will make two or more (depending on how long it took me) and put these duplicates in my box to sell (I have neighbors & friends that do not and will not stamp and do not make cards - can you imagine??).

There is nothing like receiving a RAK that you fell in love with, commented on and put in your 'favorites' file. It is like eating CHOCOLATE.
My friends always say "Oh, you should sell your cards!" How does your "box to sell" work? I'd love to have a way to offer to sell (only to replenish the stampin fund of course!) my cards to my friends and neighbors, so I'm really curious how you work this. I guess I am looking for a way not to feel awkward about offering to take money... :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

I make them while racing to beat the mail lady, so I rarely get mine uploaded. It's only after I get it all cleaned up and put away that I think, Rats! I forgot to scan it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 06:54 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I scan all the cards I make and keep them on a separate hard drive so when my computer crashes, I won't lose them too. I do send out my cards..and everyone loves them. I have made my own Christmas cards now for about 6 years. And I keep Birthday cards in my desk at work so we always have one to sign when a birthday comes around.

Happy stamping.
Mary in oregon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 07:15 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICTAM
When I make a card, I also make a duplicate card front and keep it in a 3-ring binder. I bought page dividers from Century Office Products for the binder and the card fronts fit perfectly into them. I also write on the back of the card front what I used in case I want to duplicate it again at a later date.

Tammy
I started reading this thread, and when I got to the end of it I was going to write the exact same thing that Tammy wrote!! So I just quoted her. I have 5 binders full- get the 4" extra wide EZD ring binders from Office Max. They hold 25 of the Century Polaroid photo protectors. At 8 cards a page, that's 200 cards a binder (if I did my math right- holy cow! Do I really have that many cards?!?) The people I demo for often borrow my binders to copy cards. (By the way- being new to SCS, what do all the alphabet soup labels mean? LOL,CASE, RAK= Random Acts of Kindness, etc. I'd love to know!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 08:30 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

This is too funny!!! I thought it was just me. I hoard my cards. I only make one of each and then I want to keep them so I can look at them later. I hang them on the walls in my craft room for inspiration.
DH and Friend urged me to sell some so I have been carting them to craft sales where I sell woodcrafts. I haven't sold many because people are oogling the wood and overpassing the cards. This weekend will be different, I plan on selling a bunch.
The above mentioned Friend is the one and only member of the card of The Card of the Week Club, think Book of the Month. I send her a card, yes, almost everyweek and am driving her insane. I make them for silly reasons. Congratulations, your craft fair was a success. Miss You a Latte...with coffee beans attached.
I might try the 12 days of Christmas. Which I heard are actually the 12 days after Christmas.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi I send mine out. I make bithday cards and get well cards for kids at our church and then I send them out. I have a hard time keeping up some months. But isn't that why we stamp to share the love with others. If it is really cute I take a picture of it.

Have a great day God Bless each and everyone of you
Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
:shock: We're supposed to *send* them? :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #55  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Re: "Put (card)duplicates in my box to sell" Tell

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnjjacobs
Quote:

I part with the ones I make but never with the ones I receive that are handmade.

If I make something that I feel is special, I will save it and show at workshops for that month. Then I will make two or more (depending on how long it took me) and put these duplicates in my box to sell (I have neighbors & friends that do not and will not stamp and do not make cards - can you imagine??).

There is nothing like receiving a RAK that you fell in love with, commented on and put in your 'favorites' file. It is like eating CHOCOLATE.
My friends always say "Oh, you should sell your cards!" How does your "box to sell" work? I'd love to have a way to offer to sell (only to replenish the stampin fund of course!) my cards to my friends and neighbors, so I'm really curious how you work this. I guess I am looking for a way not to feel awkward about offering to take money... :?
You are not 'taking' their money - you earned it!

If you think about it, what a convenience you are to your friends & neighbors! No trips to the crowded store aisles, only to find a less than perfect card and shell out too much $$. No car seats to buckle & unbuckle. No parking the car..... It is why I started making cards years ago - it was hard to get out to the store.

You ask how the box to sell works: well, it's actually several baskets with those pretty liners. I bought most of them at Michaels over the years.

I cut matboard into sections (like file folders) for dividers and with my label maker created category divisions (birthday, all occasion, anniversary, sympathy, etc.).

All cards w/envelopes are $3.00, tax included; I pay tax quarterly as I declare all funds earned by selling cards & paper/stamped items through my business.

The next time a friend or neighbor says, "Oh you should sell your cards." say to them "You need to come over now while I have a good selection!"

Think about how it makes you feel to receive a handmade card. You are letting others experience that too! Like I said - It's like eating CHOCOLATE!!

I received a handmade Thanksgiving card today from my beautiful friend and wonderful neighbor Jayney...it's in her gallery here....oooooh the card is absolutely lovely!!!!!!

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Let us know what you decide and what happens!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I always send my cards... and every Thursday I try to make a card for one of the people on staff at my church and then I pray for them that day...I call it my "thursday morning ministry" !!!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #57  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started stamping in June of 2003. I was so excited that I kept track of all the cards I mailed out that first year. Believe it or not, I mailed out a little over 600 cards in one year, and, except for the holiday cards, they were all unique. (I am the most popular person in my church now.) When I found SCS I was so excited because now I can scan them before I mail them, sort of like having my cake and eating it too.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #58  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

600!!!! Wooo Hoooo! You go girl!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 05:27 AM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: "Put (card)duplicates in my box to sell" Tell

Cindy--Thanks so much for your advice! I'm going to try it!

I love the idea of the professional look with the dividers and the labels, and I'm going to use your words! (Once I have a script, I feel better!)

I am not a demonstrator, so I didn't feel as clear about the selling, but you're right, my friends DO love the handmade things--and I know thier friends will like the cards.

I just love this site. I don't have any "stampin buddies" here so having ya'll here makes feel...normal!?! LOL

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 05:33 AM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Default Does anyone actually send their cards?

I'm like you! My cards are a work of art- and I know what people do with their cards (They do NOT hang them on their walls!!!).

I recently made my husband a birthday card and I couldn't even sign it because that would mean it would be his - and I still wanted to keep it.
I just stamped "Happy Birthday" and left it at that. It said hand stamped by Heather on back so he knows who it's from! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 06:21 AM   #61  
Cardstock Collector

Default Actually sending cards

Yes!! Hundreds of them over the years!! I've been stamping almost ten years, and have about 6,000 images, and I enjoy most of them!
I play in swaps, sends cards to non-stamping friends, make birthday cards. I am enthusiastic about the interactions possible with my three favorite hobbies: stamping, scrapbooking and photography.

Ant Judy H.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to dastamper

:razz: i take a picture of my cards i create and give them away to INSPIRE and encourage others. as much as i love what I create not everyone has the skills we've obtained. anyhow, the clear envelopes allows the art pieces to be seen via mail to the receipient. Great advertisement. i encourage everyone to let go of those cards to spread the warm fuzzy feelings to others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

YES! It's the only way I can justify my rampant spending these days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
I usually send out all mine for RAK's, or I send them to family and friends.

What good are they just laying around, taking up space that can be used for more stamps!! :lol:
Yes and I love everyone of them Jovi!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

And if it has your name in a special font on the envelope that is hand drawn, I keep the envelope forever too!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #66  
Queen Shouldareadahead

Location: back in a gated community...the twins are mobile!!!!!!!
Talking

I'm the opposite...I don't keep any cards I "create"!! I always have someone or a special occasion in mind when I'm creating, so when it's done, off it goes--AFTER I take a picture of it!!! ;)

So, I have a picture on my computer of every card I've ever created. Keeps the space issue in control, too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #67  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to hang onto mine, not wanting to part with them, but then I decided that that didn't make much sense since, as long as I've uploaded them, I can always "visit" them in my gallery here on SCS. Saves lots of space, and lets other enjoy a homemade card! Linda
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 07:48 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do give the cards that I make. However, I do make one for myself (and a friend who also stamps) and add it to my "idea" box.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #69  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great idea to write down who gets the card! I send all my cards, too. Although I scan them and jot down the materials and colors in case I want to make another one, I haven't been noting who got which card. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #70  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes, I do send 99% of the cards I make out. I have had so many friends and family tell me how much they've enjoyed a handmade card that I can't bear to keep them. I also made cards for my nephews troops while there were deployed to Iraq. There are some that I will not part with no matter what either. Those I keep in a mini photo album for ideas with my demo stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #71  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Yup, that's me and WILLIE NELSON!!! (insert heart here!) :)

I do! The one I post is always a cardfront, so it can easily be put into my idea books. But I end up making probably 5 of each to send or just to have around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #72  
Glitter Queen

Default "Work of Art"

I'm like you! My cards are a work of art- and I know what people do with their cards (They do NOT hang them on their walls!!!).

I recently made my husband a birthday card and I couldn't even sign it because that would mean it would be his - and I still wanted to keep it.
I just stamped "Happy Birthday" and left it at that. It said hand stamped by Heather on back so he knows who it's from! :lol:

Thank you for making me smile! I once felt this way too... that is until I was invited to tour a multi-million dollar home... recently sold by a Real Estate Broker and friend. My dear friend had used one of MY cards as a "thank you" to her client (the new owner). There... just inside the front door... upon the foyer wall... hung my card!!!

The owner had taken my card, and had it professionally framed... then placed it upon her wall... for EVERYONE to enjoy. Not only was I surprised... beyond words... but now I hold a much greater pleasure in giving to others my "works of art". It doesn't matter if I never, ever see another of my cards framed or in a place of show... just one has helped me realize that my work truly is appreciated. It is the GIVING that matters most... and the smile that it brings to another... even if it be but for a moment.

Until we share our special talents... and our 'gifts' from above... can we truly call our creations "Art"?

Sharing with Love...

Lyn

Last edited by Rabid-Wulf; 04-22-2005 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #73  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Keep or give?

Since I belong to 3 online groups and we do swaps and raks. I make and send.
There are some that I don't part with, But the most of them I do.

I take a picture of all my cards and I have made a photo album to share with friends and family....To show them what kind of stamps I sell, and what you can do with them.

I also have a online photo album that I keep most of my cards on. as well as the one that I get from others.

Site is listed below in my signature........Check out if you would like.

I like sharing my artwork with others. and I always sign the back of my card.;)

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 12:19 AM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

We were just talking about this tonight. I am sending out cards I made now...only because dh keeps saying things like, "I don't know why you make so many if you don't send them out." Made me really start thinking so I am now starting to send them. I keep copies or scan most of my creations so I can recreate if I want.

I made Christmas cards this year (quite a feat for me since I don't normally send them out). I got busy and didn't get them sent out. Guess I'm ahead of the ball game for this year.

Before I was laid off from my job, I made 4 cards (also when I was still really new at making cards), for my friend at work so she could give out to people. She just loved them. She told me one day that she gave one to her dd because she needed a very special card to send. Made me feel great.

Last edited by AZShann; 04-23-2005 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 12:32 AM   #75  
Insane Embellisher

Talking

part with my cards!! shoooooot I can't even CUT my paper! I look at all nice, new, organized and think nah, i'll buy some precut stuff. Right now i'm just collecting everything. But i'm HOPING come christmas card making time.. I'll get over it and get it done.. I hope than I will be able to send them out!! I know i'll make them and make a photo copy to keep for memories! I think right now i'll just enjoy everything being pretty and new..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 02:47 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Smile Saving Your Creations

I began to make full-size cards only for my sample packs about three years ago. This helps in many ways!

I do save my creations for a while ~ at least while they are current. Sometimes I will make two or three of the same card - usually when I have leftover cardstock from a stamp camp of something.

I go one step further with my retired cardfronts. When I get around to selling retired sets, I usually put cardfront samples with them. I also put out retired cardfronts in a basket for my customers. They go crazy and think it is gold!

Having a website helps, but I do delete retired sets as space is always at a premium.

I do like having a bunch of Christmas cards all set to go after the retirement list comes out...this year I am sure I will have plenty.

I also give my mom and my sister (a second-grade teacher) some of my stash. They really appreciate having pretty cards to send out.

Plus, I do an outreach program at our church - I use some of my nonspectacular cards for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 05:41 AM   #77  
Kookie Creator

I had to laugh when I read your title because I just said to my friend yesterday that it killed me to send out 5 Passover cards I made Monday night. They were so pretty (if I do say so myself!) that I wanted to keep them.

I make a card for a reason - a thank you for a certain person, just to say hi to a certain person, etc...So I send my card the day after I make it. I have no extras laying around.

I bet the gallery is great for that. You can make the card, take a picture, then send the card, but you have that picture so it's not like the card is totally gone.

Making extras is a good idea too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 06:03 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlellish
I'm guilty of not sending.
I have a history (it's genetic, I swear) of procrastination.
Good intentions, but I've always had a hard time getting things to the mailbox!
Must work on that!
I must be related to you! I hand deliver plenty of cards, have a box full for freinds and neighbors to choose from to give out. It's not so much that I am attached to them (I usually take pictures and make multiple copies of the same card), I just have a hard time putting an address on the envie and sticking it in the mailbox. Thank goodness I can pay bills online!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by madew

I hate to actually tell this but..............I went through all the things I've read here including, hating to let go, wishing I had this one or another of that one so..........I started to make extras. First it was 4 then 6 now its 8. I always put one in an album I keep for the cards I make. I found it actually improved my skills because of the repetition. I send some to friends as needed, but then there are special requests like:

[/b]
I wonder if we need a SCS 12 step program to help new stampers get to the point where they actually give away the cards they make.

Step 1. Pick a day - it may be a month ahead - but choose a day in which you will follow through with all the steps.

Step 2. Set a few minutes aside each day leading up to your target day to repeat aloud 10 times or more if necessary, "cards are for giving - I can give one of my cards away"

Step 3 Choose a card to make. If you have never actually given a card away you may need to choose a quick simple card (maybe one that is even a little bit ugly) and work up to giving away your best creations.

Step 4. Gain the courage to actually take sheets of paper from your beautiful, colorful, wonderfully organized stamping area and make a card. It will be easier if you have extras of all your colors.

Step 5 Make cards in quantity or plan to scan them so you can have a record of your creations.

Step 6. Feel the rapture of creating a card from your heart.

Step 7.Work through the shock that you are supposed to give away your wonderful creation.

Step 8. Get rid of the guilt caused by hording your cards. As long as you have at least the image of the card, you can relive the joy of that card over and over and over again.

Step 9 Hold you card tightly in both hands and imagine the person being overcome and swept away with joy, comfort, or rolling on the floor laughing as they enjoy your wonderful card.

Step 10. Write in the card. OK this is a hard one, but you can do it. You may need to plan a week in advance what you will write so this part will not thwart you efforts

Step 11. Address the envelope. If this is difficult, you may be able to print out your labels from your Christmas card list. Attach a stamp. this also may be difficult. Make sure you purchase stamps a day before your target date and know where they are.

Step 12 Sit by the mailbox and wait for the mail carrier to come so you can personally hand him your creation. Give him instructions on caring for your card until it arrives safely in the hands of the recipeint.

The first time through may be tough but keep at it and maybe someday, however far in the future, you can do as Serikastamper suggested and have one day a week where you actually send out your cards. I know this may seem overwhelming right now but, just focus on a short term goal. We are all cheering for you and are here to support you.

good luck!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #80  
Matboard Maniac

I always make my cards to send!
Reply With Quote Likes