Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #2521  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenndspencerView Post
nsruss, when you say you get them from the dollar store, do you mean something like family dollar/dollar general or dollar/everything's a dollar. I can't find strong magnets that are small enough for a clothes pin and don't cost an arm and a leg.

TIA

BTW, crafting like crazy for my first fair next sunday. Looks like a really big fair. I took some pics last night. Will share soon. I LOVE this thread!
I get them at Dollarama. Not sure if that's just a Canadian store or not though!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #2522  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinrealtorView Post
Good morning! I just ordered the test tubes from PTI. Only 9 though. I thought that would be a good addition to get my order up to get the free shipping. I also ordered that stamp set with the mug. Yippee! How much did you charge for the hot cocoa test tubes? I didn't know what to fill mine with! Also, I have a stack of chinese take out boxes that I bought years ago and don't know what to do with them. Do you have a pic of the ones you filled with tea? How much tea and what did you price it at? I have a craft fair on Dec. 4 and 12. I am so excited. I have picked up great ideas just haven't been able to finish anything. I started the Magic Pig Wands. They are so cute. My son will be assembling them for me. I have spent tons of money on all the supplies that I dont' have: laminator, atg gun + tape, etc. So hopefully, I'll make my money back! Thanks, Maria
Hi Maria! I sold the test tubes for $3 each. The chinese take out boxes went for $4. gain, no pic. I'm bad like that. lol I had some tea that comes in the individual packets and I put 6 in each box. Then I stamped a tea pot, from another PTI set and cut in with a scallop punch (I love PTI and scallop punches apparently lol) and stuck it to the front of the box with dimensionals. I stamped a sentiment from the same set and cut it into a tag, put an eyelet in it and tied it to the handle with a piece of string, then added a couple of snips of ribbon to the handle as well. They were really cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #2523  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

One suggestion that I have for everyone that might be in multiple shows - Get a flyer or postcard that lists all of the shows that you are in and pass them out to everyone! I even included a little coupon on the bottom of mine that they can use on their next purchase. I let you know how many of them come back to me...if you want to see my postcard, just PM me!
Awesome idea!! I'm going to do that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 02:52 AM   #2524  
Matboard Maniac

I bought my test tubes through ebay. The ones with the cork stoppers are usually the cheapest. They cost me about 50 cents each. The ones I use are 4.5" long and 1/2" wide. Someone also told me you can get them at florist shops. Haven't checked that out yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #2525  
Pearl-ExPert

Everyone has great ideas!! Could someone tell me what a magic pig wand is??? thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #2526  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Onseie question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef MamaView Post
Do you have a picture of what you do to the onesies? After what Bugga saw I guess we need to put jewels all over them! LOL!
Hey, Lori! Here is the link to the most popular design using a retired "I'm Here" Stampin' Up set. Honestly, all things pink sell better. Maybe cute=girl and they think something else for boys. I have sold some boy colors [light blue or aqua] but sel a ton more of my pink items. The biggest seller: Stamped Baby Onesies ~ top seller at my Craft Fairs by AmyDearie at Splitcoaststampers and my #2 seller Baby Stamped Onesies ~ Great Gift by AmyDearie at Splitcoaststampers using the Baroque Motifs swirl stamp [that I use for almost everything!]. The 2nd one seems to sell to more arty/out of the box people...in my observations...
**Note, I used to package them [like in #2 pic] but now hang them with baby hangers and a generic gallon ziplock upside down with a slit for the hanger and the zip part cut off. Cheaper on packaging and easier to shop when hanging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #2527  
Rubber Obsessor

Default thanks JULIE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoypupView Post
I would like to clarify ...

So -- what if you simply admit that this lovely, handmade and unique item is USEFUL -- could be saved and used and enjoyed for many years to come, and is WORTH more? The same item is WORTH $2 -- even though you _could make a profit at a lesser rate_ you are giving the wrong message.

With the greatest respect for people on this list -- don't undervalue your work. Price the ITEM -- not just your materials and time. If you get cleaver and make something totally unique and cool -- it is NOT ripping people off to get paid a decent wage for it!

You are all fabulous, and should know that!
Julie
Well, said, Julie!! I agree that we should value our time, imagination, & creative effort we put into our projects along with the actual cost of the item. And if someone else is charging basically the costs and NOT valuing the time, it cheapens it for EVERYONE! I am not trying to rip people off but I am handcrafting something that they probably couldn't so there is value to that! [And if they want to try, I am more than happy to sell them the paper, stamps, & ink to do it!:p ha]

Thanks for telling it to us straight! keep it up!
AmyD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #2528  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjacobs150View Post
Everyone has great ideas!! Could someone tell me what a magic pig wand is??? thanks!!
Here is a picture of some that I found for inspiration:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RO-dY6bEUf...RDS+II+004.jpg

Here are the ones I made. Bottom right corner of the pic.

More Craft Fair Items by buggainok at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #2529  
Rubber Obsessor

Default piggy wand

I LOVE this idea and I think it would sell really well to your typical craft show person! I am so bummed that I got rid of my Very Punny set. And I haven't had any luck finding any of my customers having it around here either. :( Being a demo for 8 years, you just can't keep every set but I have regretted selling this set numerous times.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #2530  
Polyshrink Goddess

HI Ladies!

It's been awhile but thought I'd post an update on my last craft fair on Oct.10. It was an outdoor one (the second one I've done) & it was incredibly windy!! Holy Cow. Thank goodness for bungee cords. My expectations were already low because of that (my stuff just wasn't displaying as nicely all pinned down or blowing up & down on the racks). But again--this is the second time I've also done one in conjunction with a fair with lots of other activities & I think I've finally learned my lesson--no more of that--people just don't think about shopping or their kids are pulling them somewhere else. I did meet a few new "fans" for my facebook page & I still always have fun at these things. Made $185--still not too bad I know with a $25 table fee but it really was a lot of time & effort lugging my stuff around.

My next event is a home jewelry party a couple of friends are throwing for me for my altered art jewelry stuff--very excited because that stuff has my highest profit margin by far (going back to the convo people are having here about pricing things beyond material cost & time for uniqueness/usefulness--I definitely agree--from what I've seen people have been much more quick to pay $7 for a pendant than $7 for an altered notebook/beaded pen set that cost me more & took longer to make than the pendant!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #2531  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

WOW you guys have been busy,...first sale is Nov 5th at work,usually do well,...was ahead, MIL died last week and now I'm behind. Clothes pins sound great,will have to do next year,can't bite off any more this year.
Julie, your value system I agree with and am never amazed at the people that look at my things and then at me and I know that they think the stuff is expensive. I DON'T WORK FOR FREE!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #2532  
Pearl-ExPert

OOPS,...I don't craft for free either!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #2533  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbiejoView Post
WOW you guys have been busy,...first sale is Nov 5th at work,usually do well,...was ahead, MIL died last week and now I'm behind. Clothes pins sound great,will have to do next year,can't bite off any more this year.
Julie, your value system I agree with and am never amazed at the people that look at my things and then at me and I know that they think the stuff is expensive. I DON'T WORK FOR FREE!!!!
Good to hear from you BarbieJo. So sorry about your MIL. Life has a way of knocking us back sometimes. Sympathy to you and your family.

And good luck at your first sale.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #2534  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Bugga,now I MUST get off the computor!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #2535  
Rubber Obsessor

WTG, Jules! I have done a few combined shows like that and each time it DOES seem like vendors are an after thought! You did great for that venue, I think!
BarbiJo~ sorry to hear about your MIL!

..now back to crafting! I worked on the clothespins and I have to say I am addicted because you can get so many done at one time! I hope they sell!! I will post pics tomorrow of my take on them.
I also did the doggie bag treats that I am sorry to say, I have forgotten who to credit for that inspiration. Posting pics tomorrow as well. Feeling like I have got a lot accomplished despite last week's fiasco with the migraine and hospital! Can't for my next show this Saturday [Church Bazaar]! And I love when you can set up the night before so I am not rushing as much in the sleepy AM!
**Question: For those that have set up early, what do you do to "protect" your stuff? Like throw a table cover over it or what? Or do you leave product? I think it is pretty safe as it is inside of a church hall but wanted to throw out that question.
thanks! night-night
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #2536  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyDearieView Post
WTG, Jules! I have done a few combined shows like that and each time it DOES seem like vendors are an after thought! You did great for that venue, I think!
BarbiJo~ sorry to hear about your MIL!

..now back to crafting! I worked on the clothespins and I have to say I am addicted because you can get so many done at one time! I hope they sell!! I will post pics tomorrow of my take on them.
I also did the doggie bag treats that I am sorry to say, I have forgotten who to credit for that inspiration. Posting pics tomorrow as well. Feeling like I have got a lot accomplished despite last week's fiasco with the migraine and hospital! Can't for my next show this Saturday [Church Bazaar]! And I love when you can set up the night before so I am not rushing as much in the sleepy AM!
**Question: For those that have set up early, what do you do to "protect" your stuff? Like throw a table cover over it or what? Or do you leave product? I think it is pretty safe as it is inside of a church hall but wanted to throw out that question.
thanks! night-night

I have wondered about this also....My first show is Nov 7th and it too is inside a church hall. I am setting up the night before and I will probably just throw a tablecloth/cover over everything when I am done....very good question, though..... Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #2537  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks Bugga... very cute.. do these sell well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #2538  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbgirlView Post
I have wondered about this also....My first show is Nov 7th and it too is inside a church hall. I am setting up the night before and I will probably just throw a tablecloth/cover over everything when I am done....very good question, though..... Leslie
I would honestly asked the church what they would suggest. I've been at church during Mass, and an announcement was made that a car was broken into in the parking lot. Evening and very mixed neighborhood, but still a shock.
If everything is locked up after the vendors have left, you probably won't have a problem. If it's opened before vendors arrive in the morning and people[kids] can walk through, then perhaps a problem.
Just a caution.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #2539  
Glitter Queen

Default beaded pens

For those of you who make the beaded pens: What size beads do you use? I see them worded as microbeads, is that what they are called? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #2540  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjacobs150View Post
thanks Bugga... very cute.. do these sell well?
I have read somewhere on the forums that some people sold lots of them at craft fairs. My first (and so far only) craft fair was an outdoor arts festival with live music, lots of young couples, babies in strollers and dogs on leashes. Mainly people out for a nice walk in the park on a pretty day.

I sold a few....but I don't really think it was a good test for sales of paper crafts in general.

My next 4 events are holiday bazaars at large churches, so we will see how sales in general go.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #2541  
Forum Fanatic

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by majicbeadView Post
For those of you who make the beaded pens: What size beads do you use? I see them worded as microbeads, is that what they are called? Thanks.
I use Mini Micro Beads from PennyWiseArts.com they ship very fast and you can get all your supplies to make them. Go to this Blog for all the directions. She explains so well
Hope this helps

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #2542  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi i am working on some Tic Tac. I have seen quite the variety here. They are so many different ones.Soooooo cute! How much did you put on your Tic Tacs..and did they sell good?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 AM   #2543  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonne WilsonView Post
Hi i am working on some Tic Tac. I have seen quite the variety here. They are so many different ones.Soooooo cute! How much did you put on your Tic Tacs..and did they sell good?
I usually sell mine for 3.00 or 2/5.00 and they sell extremely well at that price - especially for stocking stuffers or gifts for co-workers! I use the BIG PACKS too.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #2544  
Matboard Maniac

hi - update on my craft fair this past sunday - very slow...we had a big rain/wind storm the night before so all the signs blew down - they were replaced, but only people who had kids at the school really knew about the show - best sellers (hands down) were my old standby...post-it note holders, $3. and sold all but 2 - guess what I'm doing today???
the next item was my 'book thongs' - cute design on the card and nice packaging (nice packaging seems to be a big draw) - sold those at $8.50 or 2 for $15. - they were a hit at the last show with inquiries about eyeglass holders, so I made up a funny poem, designed the card and they went as well - one goof, made up lots of halloween treats, but at this Jewish school, the chocolate had to be kosher, sold very few... happy ending though, brought them to work and sold out - next show is a huge one in NH, the fee is $110. for a space with thousands of people (Dec 5th)...we'll see
will post more photos soon - carole
PS - the secret still seems to be small 'cheap' items...trying to make double the booth space with these, then the rest is profit and materials (still think my time is pretty much free...anyone know the formula to figure this out??)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #2545  
Pearl-ExPert

Was always told 3 times the cost of supplies,...I do have many exceptions,as has been posted many times before,...location and the people you draw are the deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #2546  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a link to a cute snowman tic tac holder:
http://impressionsbyrochelle.blogspo...an-kisses.html

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #2547  
Inking Addict

Does anyone know if there is a poem that goes along with the Rudolph Spares?
Thanks!
-Candace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
check out my blog! www.scrapadoodledee.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #2548  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by joleneelektra625View Post
Thanks!
-Candace

Rudolph has a job to do
On Christmas Eve, it's true
His nose will always light the way
For Santa and his tiny sleigh
But if his nose should ever go out
Don't cry or whine or yell or pout
Take out this bag and use a bit
From Rudolph's Red-Nose Repair kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #2549  
Inking Addict

Thank you kbgirl! Thats exactly what I was looking for!!

-Candace
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #2550  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh those little snowman were so cute...the ones on the Tic Tacs. I tell ya..some of you girls are to amazing.
Thanks Craftymom0f2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #2551  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Here is a link to a cute snowman tic tac holder:
http://impressionsbyrochelle.blogspo...an-kisses.html
Why oh why did you show me this darling thing???

Now I have to make some.:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #2552  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Why oh why did you show me this darling thing???

Now I have to make some.:mrgreen:
:twisted: because I didn't think you had enough to do!:twisted: Just kidding!!!:lol: I thought that they might sell well with people who are looking for co-workers, etc. They are cute, and if it makes you feel any better, now I've talked myself into making some for my husband's co-workers too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #2553  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
:twisted: because I didn't think you had enough to do!:twisted: Just kidding!!!:lol: I thought that they might sell well with people who are looking for co-workers, etc. They are cute, and if it makes you feel any better, now I've talked myself into making some for my husband's co-workers too!
Well, I feel some better then. But I am restraining myself from dashing right off to Walmart to buy boxes of Big Tic Tacs! I am so bad about getting something in my head and wanting to do it RIGHT NOW.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #2554  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Well, I feel some better then. But I am restraining myself from dashing right off to Walmart to buy boxes of Big Tic Tacs! I am so bad about getting something in my head and wanting to do it RIGHT NOW.
Hmm...I thought I was the only one that did that....got to have it now, so I can try it, to see if it is as cute as the picture shows mentality...oh I'm so glad that it affects others too! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #2555  
Inking Addict

Default Great Ideas

Haven't been on this thread since last year...and I see I have missed a lot;)

I have only two sales this year (down from the 8 I did last year!!) and again I have nothing done. My mother should have named me Last Minute Linda!!!

Plenty of new inexpensive ideas from here. Love the display pictures everyone has posted. Sometimes the display makes a better sale than the actual products. Package everything well and you will sell your stuff.

2 1/2 weeks away to the first sale and I don't have much made, most is just stuff leftover from last year. I did make some gift card holders from an idea from Andrea Walford and I will make some from the idea from Dawn Griffith.

Oh boy...I need to get off of here and get my butt in gear!!!

Thanks for the all wonderful ideas!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #2556  
Rubber Obsessor

I with the rest of you ...I come here and keep seeing such cute things. I just want to make them all. Instead I keep coming back and finding more....more.....and ....more cute things. I can't stay away long enough to get anything done.Help!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #2557  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I with the rest of you ...I come here and keep seeing such cute things. I just want to make them all. Instead I keep coming back and finding more....more.....and ....more cute things. I can't stay away long enough to get anything done.Help!!!!
Ditto!!!! It's so fun to see what everybody is doing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #2558  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by joleneelektra625View Post
Thanks!
-Candace

Your blog is adorable! But what are Rudolph Spares - what do you put in the bags - I assume something red? There are so many cute little poem ideas out there - how to choose???

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #2559  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussomView Post
Your blog is adorable! But what are Rudolph Spares - what do you put in the bags - I assume something red? There are so many cute little poem ideas out there - how to choose???
They are usually red hot candies, but anything red and round will work!

ALL NEW!! As of 6/20/11 http://stamperstacey.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #2560  
Inking Addict

Hey, Ladies! Been awhile since I posted anything on here, though I read EVERYDAY! I am working on a new project and was hoping for some price suggestions.
I am calling them "Teen Locker Notes", and the sets include 4 3x3 notecards with envelopes and a binder clip with a magnet on the bottom so it can be attached to the inside of the locker- and stay. I have decorated the notecards and the clip with the Heidi Swapp tapes (I got them on clearance for $1 years ago!). The clips have a ribbon or two tied to them, not too bulky cause you know how lockers can be!
I would only mark them for $3.50 or so, but those darn SU! envelopes get expensive! Do you think $5 is too much? I have them packaged in a clear bag, tied with matching ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes