Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #2481  
Duchess of Dork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanks for adding some prices! I won't get to work on the list til after Saturday. That's my first event. It's a neighborhood vendor event, so I have no idea what kind of turn out to expect. It's a friend's neighborhood, so I don't even know much about it. We'll do a booth together. She's a SU demo & did Tupperware for awhile. I'll take some of my PC stuff along with crafts. I think I am just going to take what I can get done by tomorrow early for paper crafts b/c I want to do some fabric stuff to take.

Tissue holders for anyone who sews---let me find the link to my blog with these.
http://chefmamacrafts.blogspot.com/2...bless-you.html
I got the idea from a magazine: cut 3 pieces of fabric 4x6" each. Turn under 1/5" on the long side of 2 of them. Put the 2 pieces with the folded side down on the other piece (these will overlap) right sides together. Sew 1/4" seam. Turn & press. Done!

I have an order for two of my quilted purses & some home dec stuff so as soon as I get done with this craft fair I'll need to get those done & shipped. It's a good kind of busy! My dd's helped today. My 10 (almost 11) year old is quilling some cute shapes. We'll make bookmarks & she can earn money from that. My other dd (13) who is artistic & craftsy found it boring to do the "mom" crafts, so I guess she won't be earning money! LOL!

Can't wait to hear how the craft fairs for this week & weekend turn out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #2482  
Stampin' Fool

Debbie Your items are great!! I especially loved your paper clip bookmarks!!
I made about 30 post it notes. I have never sold them before and undecided on a price. What are you asking for yours?
I leave tomorrow to go visit my daughter in SC and hope I can get online every once in awhile and check in here. Yes I have a box of crafts that I am taking to work on while I am there. My first show is Nov 14!! Getting excited!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #2483  
Forum Fanatic

Has anyone sold the paper bows? And if so for how much?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #2484  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Ladies! Well, that Children's Miracle Network mini craft was a complete bust. :( At least there wasn't really a booth fee! To top it off though, there was a horrid breeze so I basically had to stand and hold my Cmas tree & clothes display the entire time to keep them from blowing over..on top of which I had a terrible migraine. I felt like I had committed so I had to go but really wish I hadn't! I ended up going to the hospital that evening for the migraine [and last night and I am probably going back today! :o] Being preggo with borderline high BP, they take migraines a bit more seriously. Baby is fine though, no protein and low BP in the hospital so I have to go to neurology today since the drugs they gave to bang it out last night..didn't. So I am going back to bed now but wanted to check in..see I am totally obsessed even through the mind numbing pain. ;)
So far, I am booked:
10/31, 2 on 11/7 [my mom is running the other booth], 11/19, 12/10-12, & finally 12/15. In addition I have a sprinkling of SU classes to teach. Whew..gee I wonder why my head hurts!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #2485  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey ladies, I'm off today to check out the largest craft fair held every year in Oklahoma City, The Affair of the Heart. I'm taking my notebook and will make notes on prices and what is selling. Look for my report later.

I promised my hubby I will not buy a thing. This is only a research mission.:mrgreen:

"The much-anticipated craft show An Affair of the Heart is coming to Oklahoma City�s State Fair Park on Oct. 23-25.

With more than 1,000 booths featuring 850 exhibitors, artists and craftsmen, shoppers will find gifts and antiques, collectibles, furniture, jewelry, clothing and more.

A one-time admission of $6 covers all three days. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 23 and Oct. 24; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 25.

An Affair of the Heart will celebrate 25 years in February. The show is held twice a year in both Oklahoma City and Tulsa."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #2486  
Kookie Creator

Holy smokes Bugga,
Good luck !!!! Are you sure you've made enough? That's been my worry.
I have a fair tomorrow...wish me luck too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #2487  
Kookie Creator

Default Great Seller for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by superiorstamperView Post
This is for anyone that made the clothespin magnets.......did you sell them?
YES -- these sold very well -- the key was that I had very, very strong magnets on the back, so folks knew they could put a bundle of coupons or papers and they would stay up.

Links to good magnets:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D601-N52

I put two magnets on each clothespin -- one might do just fine, I was into "overkill" and got them really cheap long ago on ebay...

I also just used scraps to cover the clothespins, and they go fast, fast, fast to make.

Here are mine:
Altered Clothespins for 3D swap by Joypup at Splitcoaststampers

I like to do a small tag that is blank, and encourage the buyer to personalize theirs...

I sell them for $3 each, but will do 2 for $5
I display them on a metal DVD case I have, but they would be nice on an altered cookie sheet, which is my intention this year.

Clothespins at Walmart are excessively cheap, so have hundreds.

Cost to make is pennies, and doing a lot at a time is quick -- this is a big money maker, gals. Oh -- and leftovers make EXCELLENT teacher gifts ;^)*

Julie
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #2488  
Kookie Creator

Default Where do you get your test tubes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfps1View Post
This time I am actually trying to sell cards and non-card items. This is what I have completed so far and adding almost daily:

http://debbiesdesignsblog.blogspot.c...20Fair%20Items
Where do you get your test tubes?
These are fun, especially as ornaments! Kids would love them!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #2489  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleBowleyView Post
Holy smokes Bugga,
Good luck !!!! Are you sure you've made enough? That's been my worry.
Oh Michelle, I am not exhibiting at this huge fair, I am just ATTENDING as a consumer, lol. Er, as a "researcher."

I would have to think long and hard before attempting to sell at a big deal like this. The booth rent is about $300.

And, good luck on your fair tomorrow. We will be waiting to hear about it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #2490  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoypupView Post
YES -- these sold very well -- the key was that I had very, very strong magnets on the back, so folks knew they could put a bundle of coupons or papers and they would stay up.

Links to good magnets:

I put two magnets on each clothespin -- one might do just fine, I was into "overkill" and got them really cheap long ago on ebay...

I also just used scraps to cover the clothespins, and they go fast, fast, fast to make.

Here are mine:

I like to do a small tag that is blank, and encourage the buyer to personalize theirs...

I display them on a metal DVD case I have, but they would be nice on an altered cookie sheet, which is my intention this year.

Cost to make is pennies, and doing a lot at a time is quick -- this is a big money maker, gals. Oh -- and leftovers make EXCELLENT teacher gifts ;^)*

Julie
Thanks for this, Julie. I made only 50, but they were very quick and fun to make.

I had recently found that site for magnets, but haven't ordered yet. It looks like the magnets would cost about 10 cents each, so that would add 20 cents to each clothespin. Guess I had better order some of them.

I do like the idea that they are strong magnets. The magnetic tape or business card magnet sheets are almost useless to attach to anything. It will barely hold the clothespin to a fridge, let alone anything clipped to it, lol.

I also like the tags on yours. How do you personalize them?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #2491  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoypupView Post

Links to good magnets:

Here are mine:

Julie

WOW!! You got that much out of one clothespin? I have bagged mine up in sets of 4 for $2.00....is that too low? I don't have the ribbon or the tag, but I have a Prima flower with a rhinestone on each one.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #2492  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Thanks for this, Julie. I made only 50, but they were very quick and fun to make.

I had recently found that site for magnets, but haven't ordered yet. It looks like the magnets would cost about 10 cents each, so that would add 20 cents to each clothespin. Guess I had better order some of them.

I do like the idea that they are strong magnets. The magnetic tape or business card magnet sheets are almost useless to attach to anything. It will barely hold the clothespin to a fridge, let alone anything clipped to it, lol.

I also like the tags on yours. How do you personalize them?

Bugga, how much did you sell yours for? I hope mine sell...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #2493  
Hardware Hotshot

Julie, those are cute! I sell mine for $1 each. I use two magnets as well. I get them from the dollar store though. They are quite strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #2494  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
Julie, those are cute! I sell mine for $1 each. I use two magnets as well. I get them from the dollar store though. They are quite strong.
Julie, I see I need to raise my prices! I sold several packs of mine (without magnets) for $2 with 3 in the pack.

I think with good strong magnets they will sell very well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #2495  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

I was hoping to find some at our dollar store, but didn't see any. I'll have to check a different store, but I think Texas is a long way from your store! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #2496  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef MamaView Post
I was hoping to find some at our dollar store, but didn't see any. I'll have to check a different store, but I think Texas is a long way from your store! LOL!
lol Yeah, it would be quite a trip! These come attached to a little steel disk. They have three different sizes. I buy the smallest ones and they have about 20 per pack. I have some of the medium ones as well that I use for other things.

My mom is taking my stuff to a craft fair today in Labrador (which is far from me) and she's going to report in later on how she does. Always makes me nervous when I'm not there, but she's my best supporter and always doe well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #2497  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleBowleyView Post
Hey there! Is your show today? Where at? I hope it goes well, report back!
Good Luck!

Bugga~ How was the research at that fair? We have something around here that comes about twice a year called Buckler's Craft Fair. I think it travels around the country a bit maybe? The rental fee for 2 days is $200 basically which rules me out since I don't really have anything priced over $15. ;) I would have to sell A LOT of coasters and onesies to make that one up!
Have a great day crafting & preparing [or selling!]!
AmyD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #2498  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday I went as a "consumer" to the largest fair that they have in Oklahoma City:

"The much-anticipated craft show An Affair of the Heart is coming to Oklahoma City�s State Fair Park on Oct. 23-25.

With more than 1,000 booths featuring 850 exhibitors, artists and craftsmen, shoppers will find gifts and antiques, collectibles, furniture, jewelry, clothing and more.

A one-time admission of $6 covers all three days. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 23 and Oct. 24; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 25.

An Affair of the Heart will celebrate 25 years in February. The show is held twice a year in both Oklahoma City and Tulsa."

I thought I could check prices and see what is "hot" in the craft market.

I should have saved my $6 admission fee. This fair has gone very "commercial" and is no longer lots of handmade items like it was the last time I attended a couple of years ago.

Most of the vendors looked as if they had just moved their retail "stores" to a large booth at the fair. Very little actual handmade stuff.

Tons and tons of costume jewelry, (not handmade), lots of fancy clothing booths with bling, again, not handmade. There were samples of designs on the wall, and you chose what you wanted them to apply to your garment.

There was a booth that was superbusy, with long lines. I waited to see what it was. They had stuffed velour bunnies, about 15" long in every color you could think of. Again, not handmade, but very cute.

The bunnies were $42 EACH. You chose your color, then paid an extra $10 to have them monogram a child's name in the ear with a fancy embroidery machine while you waited. I saw a woman who bought FOUR of them.

$200 for stuffed bunnies is a little rich, even for this doting grandma!

So, as a crafting research mission, my trip was bust. I was encouraged however by the fact that people here seemed to be buying lots of things. I guess our economy in Oklahoma is doing okay.

Maybe everyone who attended and couldn't afford the high prices will come to all my craft fairs. Ha!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #2499  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for replying.....I am also putting on the good magnets....but hopefully just one per clothespin. I was going to sell them for 4 for $3.00.......I got my clothespins at Target.....50 for $1.54 and then the magnets on ebay were 100 for $6.95
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #2500  
Stazon Splitcoast

I should be working frantically on all my stuff for the fair on Nov. 7th, but wanted to add this from my visit to the huge "Craft" show I went to yesterday.

One of the busiest booths was 3 booths long, really big.
There were lines of people at all three spaces.

They were selling plain T-shirts in all colors and sizes - you picked out which you wanted. Then on the back walls there was every sort of design you could think of, in blingy rhinestones. Not small, either. Really big, to cover the front of the shirt.

They had Harley stuff, patriotic stuff, cutsie stuff, Hot Mama stuff, princess, fairy, etc. Lots and lots of designs.

After you picked your shirt and design, they hot pressed it onto your shirt.

The shirts were about $15 to $20, and the designs were priced from $12 up to $20 or so if they were elaborate. They were selling them as fast as they could make them.

My point is that BLING seems to really be in these days. People want sparkle, maybe because times are tough. Anyway, if you have bling, Stickles, etc. and can find a way to add it to your items, I think it might be a good thing.

There may be some "tasteful and understated" people out there, but they weren't the ones buying at the show!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #2501  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

lol Yeah, it would be quite a trip! These come attached to a little steel disk. They have three different sizes. I buy the smallest ones and they have about 20 per pack. I have some of the medium ones as well that I use for other things.

My mom is taking my stuff to a craft fair today in Labrador (which is far from me) and she's going to report in later on how she does. Always makes me nervous when I'm not there, but she's my best supporter and always doe well.
Hope it went well with your mom! How wonderful that she supports you & will help you out.

I'll have to ask next time at the $ store & see if I just missed the magnets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #2502  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyDearieView Post
Hey there! Is your show today? Where at? I hope it goes well, report back!
Good Luck!

Bugga~ How was the research at that fair? We have something around here that comes about twice a year called Buckler's Craft Fair. I think it travels around the country a bit maybe? The rental fee for 2 days is $200 basically which rules me out since I don't really have anything priced over $15. ;) I would have to sell A LOT of coasters and onesies to make that one up!
Have a great day crafting & preparing [or selling!]!
AmyD
Do you have a picture of what you do to the onesies? After what Bugga saw I guess we need to put jewels all over them! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #2503  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

I should be working frantically on all my stuff for the fair on Nov. 7th, but wanted to add this from my visit to the huge "Craft" show I went to yesterday.

One of the busiest booths was 3 booths long, really big.
There were lines of people at all three spaces.

They were selling plain T-shirts in all colors and sizes - you picked out which you wanted. Then on the back walls there was every sort of design you could think of, in blingy rhinestones. Not small, either. Really big, to cover the front of the shirt.

They had Harley stuff, patriotic stuff, cutsie stuff, Hot Mama stuff, princess, fairy, etc. Lots and lots of designs.

After you picked your shirt and design, they hot pressed it onto your shirt.

The shirts were about $15 to $20, and the designs were priced from $12 up to $20 or so if they were elaborate. They were selling them as fast as they could make them.

My point is that BLING seems to really be in these days. People want sparkle, maybe because times are tough. Anyway, if you have bling, Stickles, etc. and can find a way to add it to your items, I think it might be a good thing.

There may be some "tasteful and understated" people out there, but they weren't the ones buying at the show!
Wow, Bugga, that's interesting that it's gone so commercial. I am SO glad you spent $6 to get in vs. $300 for a booth! That's a great way to scope out the scene!

Sounds like we all need to invest in a big press & bling iron ons. I think my dd's would like that! Thanks so much for getting back to us with that report!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #2504  
Duchess of Dork

Had my first booth today for crafts. I wasn't expecting much & it was about what I anticipated. It was a Harvest Festival in a neighborhood, so they had a moon bounce, petting zoo, a DJ & more. I think the vendors were kind of an afterthought. Maybe they think having vendors will bring more people. There were a lot of browsers, but not many buyers all around. This was my friend's neighborhood. She had her stuff on a table in the front & I told her I'd use the ones on the side. She was selling tile coaster sets (4) for $12. She had ONE person actually buy (I think, or maybe ordered a different design). She had some adorable calendars for $8. They were little, so I guess people didn't want to pay that much, but each page was hand stamped & so cute. She put them in a little case like a CD case. She made $15 total. I made $25 & my dd made $1. I put her quilled pieces onto scalloped circles & onto a 2" paperclip. The quilling is pretty detailed for a 10 year old, so I didn't want to sell for 50 cents. I could tell it was a "cheap" crowd. I know because I'm cheap! LOL! MOST of what I sold was extra Pampered Chef items I had with me. Here I am just trying to "stay alive" in PC & ended up with more interest in that. I made the little apron recipe card holders & sold a few of those. I was going to charge $1, but went down to 50 cents just to get some sales.

I'll post pictures after I bring the camera in from the car. My girls have a Halloween party to go to, so off I go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #2505  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef MamaView Post
Had my first booth today for crafts. I wasn't expecting much & it was about what I anticipated. It was a Harvest Festival in a neighborhood, so they had a moon bounce, petting zoo, a DJ & more. I think the vendors were kind of an afterthought. Maybe they think having vendors will bring more people. There were a lot of browsers, but not many buyers all around. This was my friend's neighborhood. She had her stuff on a table in the front & I told her I'd use the ones on the side. She was selling tile coaster sets (4) for $12. She had ONE person actually buy (I think, or maybe ordered a different design). She had some adorable calendars for $8. They were little, so I guess people didn't want to pay that much, but each page was hand stamped & so cute. She put them in a little case like a CD case. She made $15 total. I made $25 & my dd made $1. I put her quilled pieces onto scalloped circles & onto a 2" paperclip. The quilling is pretty detailed for a 10 year old, so I didn't want to sell for 50 cents. I could tell it was a "cheap" crowd. I know because I'm cheap! LOL! MOST of what I sold was extra Pampered Chef items I had with me. Here I am just trying to "stay alive" in PC & ended up with more interest in that. I made the little apron recipe card holders & sold a few of those. I was going to charge $1, but went down to 50 cents just to get some sales.

I'll post pictures after I bring the camera in from the car. My girls have a Halloween party to go to, so off I go!
Sorry you didn't make more $$, but at least you got to spend the day with your friend. And glad your dd sold at least one bookmark. I hate for kids to be disappointed. If I'da been there I would have bought a couple.

Sounds like your crowd is the same one that was at my first fair. Just out enjoying the day walking around, not really in a buying mood.

That's why I'm more hopeful about the church bazaars I'm set to do. They are actually "buying destinations" and people usually want to buy things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #2506  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Sorry you didn't make more $$, but at least you got to spend the day with your friend. And glad your dd sold at least one bookmark. I hate for kids to be disappointed. If I'da been there I would have bought a couple.

Sounds like your crowd is the same one that was at my first fair. Just out enjoying the day walking around, not really in a buying mood.

That's why I'm more hopeful about the church bazaars I'm set to do. They are actually "buying destinations" and people usually want to buy things.
Awwwww, that's sweet! My next 2 are also church events, specifically craft fairs. I have another I need to call about, but I may not do it since I have 2 & have orders for my quilted bags I need to get to work on.

The one I heard about but haven't checked on is a Catholic Daughter's association. I'm not Catholic so I have no idea what that is. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #2507  
Hardware Hotshot

I just got off the phone with my mom. She sold $140 worth of stuff today. For a small town that's pretty good! As for what sold... I did hot chocolate in test tubes with a cute tag and ribbon. Was a little nervous about those after reading the other thread where people said they wouldn't buy things that were not factory packaged. I made 12. They sold out within 30 minutes. If I had sent more apparently they would have sold too. Other big sellers were keychains. I stamped on polyshrink, added a couple of beads and put them on the rings. Super easy and cheap to make. Sold for $3 each. Not sure how many were sold though. Mini photo albums were a hit, had 4 sold 4. Altered composition books were good. Had 4 sold 4. Chinese takeout boxes with tea packages in them and decorated with tea stamps and ribbon were a hit. Sold 5 of 5. Some other stuff sold too, but my mom couldn't remember what exactly. I'm happy that the hot chocolate sold and wish I had more test tubes. They were really easy to put together, super cheap (I had bulk hot chocolate from Costco), cute and had a great profit. I'll have to hunt down more tubes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #2508  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just got off the phone with my mom. She sold $140 worth of stuff today. For a small town that's pretty good! As for what sold... I did hot chocolate in test tubes with a cute tag and ribbon. Was a little nervous about those after reading the other thread where people said they wouldn't buy things that were not factory packaged. I made 12. They sold out within 30 minutes. If I had sent more apparently they would have sold too. Other big sellers were keychains. I stamped on polyshrink, added a couple of beads and put them on the rings. Super easy and cheap to make. Sold for $3 each. Not sure how many were sold though. Mini photo albums were a hit, had 4 sold 4. Altered composition books were good. Had 4 sold 4. Chinese takeout boxes with tea packages in them and decorated with tea stamps and ribbon were a hit. Sold 5 of 5. Some other stuff sold too, but my mom couldn't remember what exactly. I'm happy that the hot chocolate sold and wish I had more test tubes. They were really easy to put together, super cheap (I had bulk hot chocolate from Costco), cute and had a great profit. I'll have to hunt down more tubes.
Wow, your mom did good selling your things! That is a nice profit for any town, not just a small one.

Good to know about the "non-packaged" cocoa. I'm putting little baggies of mini-marshmallows in my Snowman Soup, not pre-packaged. I think I said before that the churches that have bazaars usually have bake sales, too, so non-pre-packaged stuff probably will not be an issue there.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #2509  
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah, I think that in a smaller, more intimate setting people don't mind non-pre-packaged. Heck, I buy stuff all the time that isn't pre-packaged. Maybe I'm more trusting than most though.

I think for next time I may get some of the packages of hot chocolate and then do the pouch for them to see if they do as well. I used the PTI set that has the mugs, can't remember the name right now, and they do make for a cute item!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #2510  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karin LynnView Post
To nsruss...Yup, just crystal effects. I actually used Glossy Accents by Ranger, but it is the same type of thing. Just so you know, the dry erase marker doesn't erase off the sealed image. So if you have little kids, make sure they don't scribble all over the raised images!
I can't find Glossy accents, and my su demo just moved, so cand get crystal effects, so...any subs? Could I use mod podge, or another clear glue to seal my image? And where do you find glossy accents? The J's site lists it, but it's not in my store.

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #2511  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm wondering how you did the test tubes of hot chocolate - do you have a pic? Are they just "standard size" test tubes?! I have some test tubes and have been wondering what to do with them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #2512  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't take a picture before I sent them off unfortunately. I used the test tubes from PTI. They have a screw on aluminum cap and are flat on the bottom so they can stand up. I just used a funnel to fill the tube with hot chocolate and put the cap back on. Cut out a scallop tag with a punch and then used this set: http://www.papertreyink.com/stamps_warmhappiness.html to create a tag. I stamped the mug in a color (I did some blue, some red and some green), and then stamped the saying over it in chocolate chip. Then I put a large eyelet in each of the tags and tied them to the test tube with ribbon. It really was a super easy project. I think filling the test tubes was probably the most time consuming part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #2513  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

nsruss, when you say you get them from the dollar store, do you mean something like family dollar/dollar general or dollar/everything's a dollar. I can't find strong magnets that are small enough for a clothes pin and don't cost an arm and a leg.

TIA

BTW, crafting like crazy for my first fair next sunday. Looks like a really big fair. I took some pics last night. Will share soon. I LOVE this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #2514  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

Good morning! I just ordered the test tubes from PTI. Only 9 though. I thought that would be a good addition to get my order up to get the free shipping. I also ordered that stamp set with the mug. Yippee! How much did you charge for the hot cocoa test tubes? I didn't know what to fill mine with! Also, I have a stack of chinese take out boxes that I bought years ago and don't know what to do with them. Do you have a pic of the ones you filled with tea? How much tea and what did you price it at? I have a craft fair on Dec. 4 and 12. I am so excited. I have picked up great ideas just haven't been able to finish anything. I started the Magic Pig Wands. They are so cute. My son will be assembling them for me. I have spent tons of money on all the supplies that I dont' have: laminator, atg gun + tape, etc. So hopefully, I'll make my money back! Thanks, Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #2515  
Crimping Master

Default Re-Posting on this thread too!

Recovering (still!) from yesterdays Open House/Craft Fair! I have some pictures in an album in my gallery here: Forums at Splitcoaststampers Sorry I didn't get a lot of pictures....got too busy towards the end and forgot!

This was a Demo type vendor Open House, so no other paper crafters were there.....I was a co-host so did not put out too much stuff (kind of a dry run for me). My friend/co-host is a Longaberger consultant, so she let me borrow a bunch of her baskets for display. I only had an 8' table due to lack of space. BUT - finally added it up this morning and did a little over $200.00 in sales! I knew that I was busy, but didn't realize that I had done so well - much better than expected!!! Unfortunately...I have nothing to show for it after buying a bee-u-ti-ful Coach purse and many other things! My hubby need not know about that!

My best sellers were:
~ Desktop Calendars - $3.00
~ Covered Notepads - $3.00
~ Various Halloween Candy - $1.00(trying to get rid of it so I can move on to Christmas)
~ Altered Clothespins went like crazy - $1.00 - who knew?? Need to find a better way to display them though.
~ Covered Tic Tacs (Halloween & Breast Cancer) - $2.00
~ Stamped Candles (pumpkins sold out) - $2.00, $5.00 and $6.00
~ Post It Notes - $4.00
~ Teacher Notecard Sets - 6.00
~ Snowman Punch Card Sets - $10.00
~ Gift Card Holders - $2.00 - sold a lot of these...even the birthday ones

Now, I need to get busy on the rest of my Christmas stuff since I have 4 more shows coming up! I did have quite a few people ask for special orders for classroom treats and teacher gifts, so will see if they actually work out. Guess I will clean my house in January - right?

If you have any questions on any of the pix - let me know!
One suggestion that I have for everyone that might be in multiple shows - Get a flyer or postcard that lists all of the shows that you are in and pass them out to everyone! I even included a little coupon on the bottom of mine that they can use on their next purchase. I let you know how many of them come back to me...if you want to see my postcard, just PM me!

Take Care all! Hope everyone with sales did well this weekend!
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #2516  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenndspencerView Post
nsruss, when you say you get them from the dollar store, do you mean something like family dollar/dollar general or dollar/everything's a dollar. I can't find strong magnets that are small enough for a clothes pin and don't cost an arm and a leg.

TIA

BTW, crafting like crazy for my first fair next sunday. Looks like a really big fair. I took some pics last night. Will share soon. I LOVE this thread!
Jenn, check ebay for small strong magnets. I found some there at a great price. I did have to buy a large quantity, though. I figure I can use them on fridge notebooks as well as clothespins.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #2517  
Glitter Queen

Default Punch Art Bookmark

I was surfing and came across someone's blog with the cutest Animal bookmark Now I can't find the site. Please point me in the direction.
Thank you
Virginia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #2518  
Kookie Creator

Cool Don't sell yourself short or cheapen your table

Quote:

Thanks for replying.....I am also putting on the good magnets....but hopefully just one per clothespin. I was going to sell them for 4 for $3.00.......I got my clothespins at Target.....50 for $1.54 and then the magnets on ebay were 100 for $6.95
If an item is too cheap, people will not value it and consider it as a real gift to give someone. On the other hand, if you simply had a couple of cellophane bags with curly ribbon, you could pop it into a nice bag for free (show one for display with a clothespin in it, attached to your magnet board) and it makes a perfect gift in itself.

Just because your materials are cheap -- it has NOTHING to do with what you should be selling an item for -- good for you for turning cheap materials into a seriously cool item worth way more money. Charge for the thing -- not the cheapest amount you can. Look at lights -- you can make one for about $5 - $10, but handmade lamps can go for hundreds of dollars!

I live on a small rural island near Seattle. I have found that the same item that no-one will pay .50 for, will sell GREAT for $2.50 -- just because I VALUE IT that way ;^)* People are not trying to be cheap -- if the gift is only a couple of bucks, well made and cleaver, they will pay just for your time and materials... and your time is NOT free!

I do not put items that are under $1 on the table, as it makes everything seem cheap -- and I want people to value my work. I am not trying to sell $1 or .50 items -- that is NOT the way to make your money -- and it is a waste of time and resources in this situation. You can do up samples of such items and take orders for custom party stuff -- but don't waste your time making hundreds on speculation. Go for stuff you can sell for a few bucks and then sell more for a discount (4 for $10 or some such thing...)

Even though the materials are cheap -- these are cleaver items that will not be everywhere -- and if you have a commodity, you can charge for it. So differentiating and making them unique will make them further valuable.

If you price high, you can always do a "show special" saying -- anyone who purchases $20 gets a free clothespin magnet, or mark them down with a discount, if you buy something else... Or just plain put a lower price mid-day if you think that helps move them.

$1 is just too low for this type of item. If folks want to buy one made in China, that is different -- you live in the USA and we all have to pay $2-$3 for a gallon of gas, $1.50 for a cup of coffee, etc. Target and Walmart are there for those folks -- folks who want handmade in the USA need to realize that we are supporting each other with REAL salaries that work in our real economy. I don't buy it that Oklahoma is that different from where I live (maybe NY or LA is different, but generally you still have expenses!).

Feel free to type more -- I think most folks on this list could use some business consulting, and that is a service that I do professionally (not that i am wanting to charge you, I just want you to know that I am not talking out my ear, here ;^)*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #2519  
Kookie Creator

Wink Pricing the THING not the materials/time

Quote:

I would like to clarify --
This person spent approx. 3 cents per clothespin, and 7 cents per magnet -- using one per (I use 2) -- that is .10 -- without including paper, adhesive, embellishments and time. Let's say she spent 20 cents on paper and adhesive (maybe there is some nice brad she put on, and even scraps cost...) -- that would be 30 cents in materials -- or we can say .25 in materials.

Now, how many do you make in an hour? And -- you have to sit at the table all day -- you should be factoring that time in, too. How much would you LIKE to make an hour for crafting? I like to craft, but it would be great to make $10 per hour, wouldn't it? How many clothespins do you think you can sell?

If this person charges 4 for $3 -- then there will be many folks who want to buy ONE for .75 -- and at any rate, that is .50 "profit" on each -- meaning that if I wanted to make $10 per hour, I would have to sell 20 of them easily, and make 20 of them in an hour -- which is doable, but unlikely... with the drying time, and cutting, etc. If someone wants to spend .75 each, let THEM buy the materials and make them... your time is worth just a bit more -- really!

So -- what if you simply admit that this lovely, handmade and unique item is USEFUL -- could be saved and used and enjoyed for many years to come, and is WORTH more? The same item is WORTH $2 -- even though you _could make a profit at a lesser rate_ you are giving the wrong message.

Please consider the value of the item -- if people spend $1 to $1.50 in your area for a cup of coffee -- an item that is made by someone they respect is certainly worth a bit more.

With the greatest respect for people on this list -- don't undervalue your work. Price the ITEM -- not just your materials and time. If you get cleaver and make something totally unique and cool -- it is NOT ripping people off to get paid a decent wage for it!

You are all fabulous, and should know that!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #2520  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again for the responses......I have to package the clothespins for a boutique...not to sell at a craft show...so I think I will up my price. Sounds like a plan to me. I really haven't sold items for about 10 years and then I was in a different media. I appreciate you help.
Reply With Quote Likes