Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #2401  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Joypup, do you have pictures of your crafts mentioned in the blog?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #2402  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by majicbeadView Post
Hello, everyone. I am trying to find a new and exciting craft to do for craft shows and came acroos this site. I see that most on here talk about specific stamps and supplies, is there a specific brand that you buy that everyone knows about, the ones that are seen on some pictures look fabulous!
This site started out as Stampin' Up! specific but has grown to include many fabulous stamp companies. When you look in the gallery, you'll find that most will post the name of the company.

Welcome to SCS! It's a great place for all sorts of paper crafting ideas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #2403  
Inking Addict

I just posted pictures of my craft show set up and my Ghost Peeps Smores kit from my show last week. I sold close to 70 of the smores kit and overall did pretty well. A couple things I've learned from my short run in craft shows in my area and from a great mentor, a pretty display will make people want to come and look in your booth and doesn't have to cost a lot. Every one of my pieces I've used as display have come from garage sales. Packaging is everything for me. Simple items and gifts look so much richer when packaged. A cellophane bag and a little ribbon go a long way and make people feel they can give it as is. Hope this helps anyone, I've gotten lots of ideas from the great gals on this site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #2404  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cddewingView Post
I just posted pictures of my craft show set up and my Ghost Peeps Smores kit from my show last week. I sold close to 70 of the smores kit and overall did pretty well. A couple things I've learned from my short run in craft shows in my area and from a great mentor, a pretty display will make people want to come and look in your booth and doesn't have to cost a lot. Every one of my pieces I've used as display have come from garage sales. Packaging is everything for me. Simple items and gifts look so much richer when packaged. A cellophane bag and a little ribbon go a long way and make people feel they can give it as is. Hope this helps anyone, I've gotten lots of ideas from the great gals on this site

Hey, looked through your gallery at all the great pictures. I love your display. You have done a great job with it. I agree with you about packaging. All of your things look so pretty and inviting!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #2405  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Packaging: I agree! I get comments all the time on my packaging. I mainly do it so the projects last through all the random handling. But it does make it look more "gift like". Darice has a huge line of all sizes for flatter items [like clipboards].
Question:
:confused:I am in need of a good idea/link for displaying the jumbo paper clip bookmarks. I just don't love how I have them right now [in a tin pail or short glass]. They sell alright btu I think would do even better if I had them displayed well.

I am thinking one of you wonderful gals has a better way to display than I am doing.
Thanks!
AmyD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #2406  
Kookie Creator

A few "technical difficulties", but I am working on it. Sorry folks!
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #2407  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyDearieView Post
Packaging: I agree! I get comments all the time on my packaging. I mainly do it so the projects last through all the random handling. But it does make it look more "gift like". Darice has a huge line of all sizes for flatter items [like clipboards].
Question:
:confused:I am in need of a good idea/link for displaying the jumbo paper clip bookmarks. I just don't love how I have them right now [in a tin pail or short glass]. They sell alright btu I think would do even better if I had them displayed well.

I am thinking one of you wonderful gals has a better way to display than I am doing.
Thanks!
AmyD
Amy, if you have room on your table...maybe a real book opened on an easel, with the bookmark clipped to the book. Then the other bookmarks in the pail or glass nearby.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #2408  
Stampin' Fool

cddewing Wonderful display!! I love it and everything you have in your gallery!
Bugga, I agree with you. I have seen people display bookmarks with an open book and thought it was a great idea too! I have several easels and might try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #2409  
Kookie Creator

Last minute question - what do you do for outdoor craft shows when it rains? It is raining like crazy lately and my mother and I have a HUGE outdoor show this weekend. We have plenty of items that are not paper, but this is my first show to display my papercrafts. I'm really disappointed and don't have any ideas. We are under a tent, but everything in the air is moist and it's extremely cold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #2410  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheri'LView Post
Last minute question - what do you do for outdoor craft shows when it rains? It is raining like crazy lately and my mother and I have a HUGE outdoor show this weekend. We have plenty of items that are not paper, but this is my first show to display my papercrafts. I'm really disappointed and don't have any ideas. We are under a tent, but everything in the air is moist and it's extremely cold.
I will be having the same issues....hopefully by the 24th, it will clear up?

Where is your show this weekend? I am right across the river in NKY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #2411  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Question:

Thanks!
AmyD

AmyD,

have you gone through the gallery with the bookmark clips?

Here is a little idea

paperclip bookmarks by sarah9678 at Splitcoaststampers bookmarks

or here
Kid's Bookmarks- Hers by L. Ann at Splitcoaststampers bookmarks

or how about putting them in a fun little flower pot and making a computer generated label that says bookmarks (this would be the least work ;)

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #2412  
Pearl-ExPert

How much is everyone charging for the jumbo paperclip bookmarks? I made my first set of 6 tonight and plan to make more. I cut out some thin chipboard with my nestabilities and then covered it with dp and embellished but a lot of the bookmarks I see in the gallery look like just cardstock and not chipboard. What do you ladies do? I attached my paperclip with hot glue. With the chipboard that worked great. I don't think it would work with just cardstock though.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #2413  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
How much is everyone charging for the jumbo paperclip bookmarks? I made my first set of 6 tonight and plan to make more. I cut out some thin chipboard with my nestabilities and then covered it with dp and embellished but a lot of the bookmarks I see in the gallery look like just cardstock and not chipboard. What do you ladies do? I attached my paperclip with hot glue. With the chipboard that worked great. I don't think it would work with just cardstock though.
I do mine with CS [several layers] and sometimes the harder White CS/packaging that comes with DSP as a base. I have used hot glue and that works with CS, too. What I find easier is E-6000 glue. I LOVE that stuff!

I sell mine for $1 and usually do pretty well. I am all about mass producing so I generally will do 20+ fronts in a flower or butterfly or something like that with an ebelishment like rhinestone brads or glitter details and the produce the back with a saying or quote. And then put together.
I actually just finished printing out some of the quotes [like from Define Your Life] that I didn't have thanks to My Digital Studio!! LOVING that I can have access to the stamped looked in whatever size I want and I don't even have to own the set. This option makes the program worth it even if I never did a book [which I will eventually of course!;)]

Anyway, good luck! Often people buy numerous ones of these since they are functional but cheap so I would say make a lot! Especially if the trends for cheaper items go in your area like they seem to be going for everyone on here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #2414  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Amy! I was planning to charge $1 and wanted to make sure that wasn't too much. So far I've only made flower designs but I have a lot more clips so I"m going to look for some fun images today to make. My husband really liked them and requested that I make him a "guy" one.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #2415  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks to all for the great ideas. I have my fair coming up the 2nd week of November (only doing one this year, since my baby boy was just born in July. I need to really get down to mass producing now.

With the paperclip bookmarks, I agree with AmyDearie - I used E-6000 glue on mine with CS (several layers w/a ribbon) and sold them for $1 and they sold out within the first hour of my fair (I had only made about 30 of them). I'm definately going to make more of them this year. Thank you all for the wonderful ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #2416  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
I do chipboard and use E-6000 glue.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #2417  
Rubber Obsessor

Just added my latest creation for fairs to my blog. Haven't even uploaded pics here yet but wanted to share with my craft show buddies!
Last year I caught this gallery entry but never did anything with it and it festered until I forced to come up with someting! ;)
I was inspired by something I saw on here created with a large Apron Stamp, which I didn't have, of course. Apron Recipe Holder by StamperSharon at Splitcoaststampers

So this is what I came up with after this:
http://deariedesigns.blogspot.com/20...pe-holder.html
Thanks for looking!
AmyD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #2418  
Kookie Creator

I sell mine for �1 each about $1.50 have bought cheap cotton lace and add a bow.
just under the flowers. will take a photo as will be making more this weekend.

I made a rucksack and filled it full of paperclips, someone bought them and the rucksack, the design is in resources.

I also did the mini flower pot with 5 paperclips and packaged it like a realy bunck of flowers they sold too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #2419  
Kookie Creator

My daughter just got a package from her granny in New York County.

NOT FAIR....stamp stamp...

She got some composion notebooks.... the sweet little ones.

they are much better paper quality than in the UK.

And the pencils from the dollar store are so cute..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #2420  
Pearl-ExPert

Amy, those aprons are so cute! I bet you will sell a lot of those. Question for you and for Jennscraft. Why you say several layers of cardstock, do you mean several layers thick for the base design and then you layer other things on top of that or do you mean one layer for the base and then extra decorative layers? Sorry if that's not making sense. I"m trying to figure out how many layers of cardstock to use for the base of my clips if I don't use chipboard. I've gotten so many wonderful ideas from this site!

I have made many of the junior legal pads and those do well. I also just made 15 spiral bound note pad holders. I made it so that you can replace the notepad so they don't have to throw it away when it's empty. When I get them done I will post a finished photo. I am waiting for my new Papertrey stamps that were designed for notebooks. I also have key fobs, muslin sachets stamped and filled with lavender (you can see these in my gallery) and I am working on some nugget boxes. The last time I made nugget boxes they were a big hit.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #2421  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Question:

Thanks!
AmyD
I saw the jumbo clip bookmarks clipped to wide grosgrain ribbon and clipped on each side alternating - you could hang them at eye level this way (think I saw this on a craft fair booth design link - I'll look for it
carole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #2422  
Glitter Queen

I did a show last fall, a spur of the moment thing at a nursing home. What a joke! I made several different kinds of ornaments, some wood working items and homemade cold/heating pads. The table was $5 and they advertised by putting a sign out front. I sold 1 thing at the very end of the day (rice filled heating pad). Profit was $3!! The only potential customers were the employees and a few residents. Not to mention a cute but confused resident kept "rearranging" my items for me most of the day! It was very discouraging but I think I will give it another try. All of you have given me hope!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #2423  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

OMG!!! I can't believe it,my dog just ate $10.00 of cat treats,...yes you heard me,...I had them all bagged and in a box,I had not gotten the tops on yet,the box was on the floor and the bags were sealed. Was busy about my day,had given the dog a hair cut and bath and DS commented the dog smelled like dog food,I had just fed her,no big deal,...I went to my craft room and there on the floor were the chewed bags!!! Lesson learned!! The dog bones were bagged and also on the floor,she did not bother them,... do you suppose I should learn something from this,yes I closed the box and moved it up. $10.00 of potential profit!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #2424  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbiejoView Post
OMG!!! I can't believe it,my dog just ate $10.00 of cat treats,...yes you heard me,...I had them all bagged and in a box,I had not gotten the tops on yet,the box was on the floor and the bags were sealed. Was busy about my day,had given the dog a hair cut and bath and DS commented the dog smelled like dog food,I had just fed her,no big deal,...I went to my craft room and there on the floor were the chewed bags!!! Lesson learned!! The dog bones were bagged and also on the floor,she did not bother them,... do you suppose I should learn something from this,yes I closed the box and moved it up. $10.00 of potential profit!!!
Barbiejo, you will pardon me if I die laughing!:mrgreen:

I've always had both cats and dogs, and the dogs go
c-r-a-z-y for the cat food. Who wants a yucky old milk bone when you can have a yummy cat treat. (Almost as good as a yummy cat.) I have to feed the cats on something high they can jump on so the dogs don't get their food.

When I stop laughing, I will send you some sympathy though.

Annette

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #2425  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks,...I could not be mad at her,...I had crumbs in the bottom of the jar and I dumped them out and let her have them,...so,I think it was my fault. Don't think she ever had cat food before. The kids laughed and we were trying to think of a way she could work off her debt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #2426  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by majicbeadView Post
I did a show last fall, a spur of the moment thing at a nursing home. What a joke! I made several different kinds of ornaments, some wood working items and homemade cold/heating pads. The table was $5 and they advertised by putting a sign out front. I sold 1 thing at the very end of the day (rice filled heating pad). Profit was $3!! The only potential customers were the employees and a few residents. Not to mention a cute but confused resident kept "rearranging" my items for me most of the day! It was very discouraging but I think I will give it another try. All of you have given me hope!!
Yes, please don't let that disappointing one keep you from doing another craft fair. I did have to laugh about the resident rearranging your things. I could just see it.

I really think the best places to sell "papercraft" type items are at the church bazaars. There are lots of churches here that have them every year in Nov/Dec and have developed quite a following.

Try looking on Craigslist for your area under "events" and see if you can find some. The booth rents usually are from $25 to $50 for the larger ones.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #2427  
Duchess of Dork

This is probably a very silly question, but what size paper clips are you using for the bookmarks? Are they the large regular ones you can get anywhere or are they even bigger than that? Maybe a measurement might help this dork out! LOL! Thanks!

Just had a garage sale, now I have a swap to finish, purses to make for an order I have & hopefully can sew some things plus do paper crafts for this little booth on Saturday! Do you think my family will notice if they don't eat or have clean clothes for a 2nd week in a row?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #2428  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thanks,...I could not be mad at her,...I had crumbs in the bottom of the jar and I dumped them out and let her have them,...so,I think it was my fault. Don't think she ever had cat food before. The kids laughed and we were trying to think of a way she could work off her debt.
I have to laugh at this little fiasco...something similar happened at my house - my son brought a few of his friends over to visit (I was at work) and decided to help themselves to the cocoa packets, candy corn, etc. which I had bought to fill the bags for a show the NEXT day...needless to say, he heard about it and ended up raking my lawn to help pay off his 'debt' - I couldn't believe how much stuff 8 young men could woof down :rolleyes:
carole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #2429  
Embossing Fanatic

I am so glad I found this thread!!! I wanted to do some craft shows coming up and had no clue what to make, how to display, and price to sell! This thread has surely helped me out tremendously!!! You ladies are all unbelievably talented, I thank you all for your ideas and suggestions I've been reading thru on the posts. My first one might be in about a month, think I'll start mass producing now!!! It's a rainy, gloomy day out there today....the housecleaning will have to wait another day...lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 AM   #2430  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Similar thing happened to me..my dogs ate about 4 nugget boxes which !. Chocolate=bad!! :eek: but on top of that.. A LOT of work ruined! Then a month or so later, they killed all my snowman poop = marshmallows. And I thought those were stashed high enough..wrong. They are lucky they are cute! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #2431  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancinczView Post
I have to laugh at this little fiasco...something similar happened at my house - my son brought a few of his friends over to visit (I was at work) and decided to help themselves to the cocoa packets, candy corn, etc. which I had bought to fill the bags for a show the NEXT day...needless to say, he heard about it and ended up raking my lawn to help pay off his 'debt' - I couldn't believe how much stuff 8 young men could woof down :rolleyes:
carole
Whenever my Mom bought things she didn't want us 5 kids to get into, she would draw a skull and crossbones on them, saying "Keep Out". I can't draw, but I use her idea whenever I buy stuff that can't be touched.
Of course, that doesn't work for the dogs. Our dog will eat anything. My daughter had a goodie bag from a birthday party in her room. The dog got in and at all the chocolate. Now we keep all of the doors closed. He usually stays in the family room, behind a baby gate. Sometimes he figures out how to sneak out, and knows that we keep the doggie treats in the spare bathroom down there. I once found him by the back door with an empty bag of the primo doggie treats, licking his lips, next to an empty bag. The look on his face........Now we have to keep the bathroom door closed as well. Basically, all doors are closed.
A few years ago, I had some grapes that didn't look good enough to eat. I threw them out in the back yard for the birds. To my surprise, I looked out back and saw the dog sniffing out, and eating all of the grapes! Now anything for the birds goes on the other side of the fence. Those doggone dogs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #2432  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is an idea for those who sew, and have left-over material:
http://cute2carry.com/blog/2008/09/25/lanyard-tutorial/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #2433  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef MamaView Post
This is probably a very silly question, but what size paper clips are you using for the bookmarks? Are they the large regular ones you can get anywhere or are they even bigger than that? Maybe a measurement might help this dork out! LOL! Thanks!
We are generally talking about Jumbo ones that are about 4-5 inches long. I get mine in a 10 pack for 96 cents at Wal-Mart. There are more expensive and slightly larger [gold] ones at Staples I ran across, too.

Some have done it with the largest "normal" clips and sold them for 50 cents and more geared toward kids.
Hope that helps!
AmyD
{this was the first one that came up with a quick search in the gallery but it gives you an idea. Quickie Paperclip Bookmark by lauraos at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #2434  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a link for a template to make your own money holders:
http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwoo...oneyholder.htm

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #2435  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef MamaView Post

Just had a garage sale, now I have a swap to finish, purses to make for an order I have & hopefully can sew some things plus do paper crafts for this little booth on Saturday! Do you think my family will notice if they don't eat or have clean clothes for a 2nd week in a row?
I did these with heavy cardstock circle die cuts I found in my stash, stickers, and the 2" paperclips. I used a mini glue gun to stick them together. I sold them for 50 cents. Kids loved them, and the parents were willing to shell out 50 cents, especially if they had multiple kids.:mrgreen:

Mini-Clip Bookmarks by buggainok at Splitcoaststampers

PS I found out at my craft show that the general public does not have the aversion to "stickers" that lots of stampers have. They really don't understand what's involved in stamping and coloring an image.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #2436  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

We are generally talking about Jumbo ones that are about 4-5 inches long. I get mine in a 10 pack for 96 cents at Wal-Mart. There are more expensive and slightly larger [gold] ones at Staples I ran across, too.

Some have done it with the largest "normal" clips and sold them for 50 cents and more geared toward kids.
Hope that helps!
AmyD
{this was the first one that came up with a quick search in the gallery but it gives you an idea. Quickie Paperclip Bookmark by lauraos at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks so much Amy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #2437  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I did these with heavy cardstock circle die cuts I found in my stash, stickers, and the 2" paperclips. I used a mini glue gun to stick them together. I sold them for 50 cents. Kids loved them, and the parents were willing to shell out 50 cents, especially if they had multiple kids.:mrgreen:

Mini-Clip Bookmarks by buggainok at Splitcoaststampers

PS I found out at my craft show that the general public does not have the aversion to "stickers" that lots of stampers have. They really don't understand what's involved in stamping and coloring an image.
Thanks Bugga!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #2438  
Embossing Fanatic

stampaholic17, I'm sorry, I haven't been online for a little while
When I do my Jumbo Paperclips, I just use one cardstock layer for the front and back and then several layers of decoration (ex. maybe a scallop big circle for the base, with smaller circles and images for decoration on top). Clear as mud? I hope this explains that a bit better. I'm hoping to have some made this week and I'll post them on my gallery. I really keep it simple, since that is more my style
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #2439  
Kookie Creator

Great ideas. Thanks everyone. I have always wanted to do a craft sale but never knew what to make so these are great ideas. I always heard never have anything over 10.00 because people usually don't spend over 10.00 for things. Thanks again.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #2440  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckaroniView Post
Great ideas. Thanks everyone. I have always wanted to do a craft sale but never knew what to make so these are great ideas. I always heard never have anything over 10.00 because people usually don't spend over 10.00 for things. Thanks again.
That's a good general rule, but some shows go a little higher, depending on the "economy" of the neighborhood where the show is held. At a recent fair I sold a couple of sets of tile coasters for $15 each.

Reply With Quote Likes